RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
stodge

News from the North(ern) Hemisphere

For a supposedly disorganised people, the Americans have already sorted out the final fields and barrier draws for the Breeders Cup meeting on Friday and Saturday.

I'll do the Friday preview tonight and split Saturday over tomorrow and Thursday.

The American races have a maximum of 14 with up to three Reserves so that needs to be considered if you are punting in the big races.

I'll be talking about these from a European perspective apart from the Classic.

So, the Grade 2 Juvenile Turf Sprint over 1100m. MIGHTY GURKHA  has drawn one and has blinkers on for the first time but the Europeans rarely break as sharp as the Americans and that could cause problems. LIPIZZANER comes out of stall 3 and won over 1200m last time so again may be tapped for early speed. UBETTERBELIEVEIT won the Flying Childers over 1000m at Doncaster last time so speed won't be an issue and I think he has a big chance though Wesley Ward probably holds the key with Norfolk runner-up GOLDEN PAL.

The Juvenile Turf over 1600m looks wide open. BATTLEGROUND swerved all the big European juvenile races and hasn't run since winning the Vintage at Goodwood and you'd have to think connections are of the view the horse needs quick ground. He has obvious claims. CADILLAC beat subsequent Group 1 winner VAN GOGH at Leopardstown and didn't handle the ground when fifth in the Dewhurst. I like this horse a lot. Ralph Beckett runs two, DEVILWALA and Royal Lodge winner NEW MANDATE. Of the Europeans, I think CADILLAC could go very well and looked to enjoy the sharp left-handed track at Leopardstown.

With SNOWBALL third reserve, the Europeans have four runners among the main field for the Juvenile Fillies Turf. MISS AMULET has never gone beyond 1200m having won the Lowther and been runner up in the Cheveley Park. Will she see out the extra 400m? She should stay 1400m and perhaps she might get away with it.   OODNADATTA was third in the Moyglare and the trip won't be an issue. That run matches her closely with PRETTY GORGEOUS, the top juvenile filly in the UK and Ireland. The latter also links to MOTHER EARTH and you'd have to think wherever OODNADATTA finishes, MOTHER EARTH will be close. NAZUNA's second in the Rockfel doesn't look good enough.

On then to the first part of Saturday's stellar card at Keeneland.

EQUILATERAL is a reserve for the Turf Sprint but GLASS SLIPPERS, who was second in the Abbaye last time, gets a run. I'm doubtful as to how she will go on the firm turf.

The Filly & Mare Turf is over just 1750m here and can be up to 2100m at other venues so we're seeing the milers as well as the 2000m types in the field. PEACEFUL represents Aidan O'Brien and her Irish 1000 Guineas win was on quick ground. This may be short enough for CAYENNE PEPPER but ideal for TEREBELLUM who won a Group 2 at Newmarket on fast ground in June. AUDARYA represents James Fanshawe and was a fine third in the Opera but is completely unproven on quick ground.

The Turf Mile is a race for which the Europeans always put up a strong challenge. Both the English and Irish 2000 Guineas winners in the forms of KAMEKO and SISKIN run and there wasn't much between them in the Sussex at Goodwood. KAMEKO returned to form back at Newmarket but SISKIN was disappointing in the Moulin and needs to find his earlier form. CIRCUS MAXIMUS was fourth in this last year behind UNI and must have claims but the likes of SAFE VOYAGE and ONE MASTER look better on softer ground. I'm interested in LOPE Y FERNANDEZ who was third to SISKIN in the Irish 2000 and has mixed it with the very best throughout the campaign.

Before moving on to the rest of Saturday's Breeders Cup card, news today three-time Foret winner ONE MASTER has been retired. She had been due to run in the Mile but will now head to the paddocks. As she raced over 1400m, she didn't get the recognition she would have as a miler or sprinter. She placed in the Queen Anne and Falmouth and last time was a close third in the Champions Day Sprint but at 1400m she was a real champion.

10 run in the Turf over 2400m and this is the race the Europeans win more often than any other as the Americans don't run their horses over this trip too often. It's worth £1.56 million which makes it more valuable than the Arc.

MAGICAL is the 5/2 favourite with the UK bookies and while she was slightly disappointing behind ADDEYBB in the Champion, her defeat of GHAIYYATH in the Irish equivalent (the likes of SOTTSASS behind) looks really solid form and we know she likes American types as she and ENABLE fought out an epic dual in this equivalent race two years ago.

She faces a serious threat from Vermeille and Opera winner TARNAWA and back to this trip on quick ground looks ideal for this improving 4-y-o filly. MOGUL won the Grand Prix de Paris - it didn't go well for him in the English Derby but they've always rated him at Ballydoyle. LORD NORTH won the Prince of Wales at Ascot beating ADDEYBB four lengths but MAGICAL finished in front of him at York and I don't see why he should reverse places with the mare.

I fancy TARNAWA to upset the Ballydoyle runners.

10 also run in the Classic over 2000m on the Dirt and it's arguably the Arc for the Dirt runners. There look to be five who have a realistic chance of winning. IMPROBABLE has improved all season and beat MAXIMUM SECURITY comfortably in the Awesome Again at Santa Anita last time. It's a different track and 200m further but I struggle to see why the outcome should be any different. He also holds the 7-y-o TOM'S D'ETAT on Whitney running.

The top 3-y-o AUTHENTIC and TIS THE LAW make this a real clash of the generations. The former won the Haskell and the Kentucky Derby beating TIZ THE LAW but was beaten a neck by the filly SWISS SKYDIVER in the rescheduled Preakness.  It's difficult to tease this out but TIZ THE LAW has been rested for this and could well be right on song. 

It's not easy to call the race - IMPROBABLE has obvious claims but I'm going to take TIZ THE LAW to emerge as the top dog.

The first day of the two-day Breeders Cup meeting at Keeneland had four Grade 1 races for the Juveniles so it’s like Future Champions Weekend at Newmarket only squeezed into one day.

The Europeans were well represented in the turf races but not the Dirt events. The ground on the grass was officially Good after some rain on Thursday but it was a fine warm autumn day in Kentucky.

The opening Grade 2 Juvenile Turf Sprint saw a dominant performance from GOLDEN PAL who broke well from the outside draw, came over, settled, and proceeded to control the race from the front and won by three quarters of a length. COWAN came home second with the best of the Europeans UBETTERBELIEVEIT who travelled into the race well as you’d expect from a 1000m performer but didn’t quite get home finishing third.

LIPIZZANER ran on well for fourth. The winner is a very fast horse and ran second in the Norfolk at Ascot. It remains to be seen if he can be a strong sprinter next season.

The Grade 1 Juvenile Turf over 1600m saw FIRE AT WILL come home at 33/1 for Ricardo Santana Junior. To be honest, the standard of his previous Grade 2 win at Belmont didn’t suggest he could beat these so easily. BATTLEGROUND, as often happens with the Europeans, couldn’t go the early gallop (23.6 seconds for the first 400m) but ran on strongly in the straight to nick second on the post.

This was a decent effort, and he remains a leading fancy for the classics next year. CADILLAC ran okay in fourth (the fate of all good each way bets) with DEVILWALA and THE LIR JET in midfield while NEW MANDATE got lit up trying to match the early fractions and trailed home last.

The Juvenile Fillies Turf saw a re-production of the earlier races. AUNT PEARL maintained her unbeaten record and did it very nicely. She made almost every yard and came home two and a half lengths in front. She had won the Grade 2 Jessamine over 100m further last time so the 1600m wasn’t going to stop her.

Ryan Moore had the same experience on MOTHER EARTH he had on BATTLEGROUND – she couldn’t live with the early pace but came home strongly and nicked second on the line from MISS AMULET who had been well positioned on the inner by Julian Lepareux but simply couldn’t live with the winner who looms a class act at this stage.

Queen Mary and Morny winner CAMPANELLE ran well for fourth for all she’s really a sprinter. The other Europeans, OODNADATTA and NAZUNA, never got involved.

Once again, we saw the Europeans getting completely lost in the early fractions but coming home strongly and getting two seconds and a third. Given the inexperience and the travelling, this wasn’t a bad effort by the European runners and once again we see the strength of Wesley Ward producing GOLDEN PAL and CAMPANELLE to come over and be competitive at Ascot in June and still be players in November.

On to the second and final day of the Breeders Cup meeting at Keeneland which took pl ace on a sunny and unusually warm autumn afternoon.

The turf was fast and the Dirt faster and the card kicked off with GAMINE smashing the 1400m track record in the Filly & Mare Sprint coming home by five lengths.

With EQUILATERAL failing to get a run, GLASS SLIPPERS was left as the sole European in the Turf Sprint over 1100m. However, that made no odds as she came home to upset the American speedsters and score a famous victory in a race which eluded the great Dayjur thirty years ago.

Tom Eaves didn’t panic at the early pace but got down to the rail and enjoyed a dream passage into the straight and, as they can, the gaps opened just when needed and GLASS SLIPPERS nicked the lead in the final 100m and held the late thrust of WET YOUR WHISTLE and the persistent challenge of favourite LEINSTER.

There will be those who argue Lasix helped and BATTAASH beat her convincingly at Goodwood, but she is an autumn horse and won the Flying Five before a fine second in the Abbaye. It’s also reasonable to argue the American turf sprinters are nothing special at the moment but that shouldn’t detract from a fine performance and a real breakthrough for jockey Tom Eaves and trainer Kevin Ryan.

Another track record went as KNICKS GO bolted up in the Dirt Mile.

The Filly & Mare Turf over 1950m had PEACEFUL, TEREBELLUM, CAYENNE PEPPER and AUDARYA all running for Europe and all had claims despite a useful home challenge seemingly led by RUSHING FALL. In the end, Europe prevailed as AUDARYA got up in the last 50m to run down RUSHING FALL. To be honest, I thought the winner was travelling really well leaving the back straight and if you have a French jockey, they can often ride these American races really well.

Another track record went so the ground was plenty quick enough which you might have thought wouldn’t suit AUDARYA, but she travelled really well. It didn’t happen for the other Europeans – CAYENNE PEPPER went too fast up front while PEACEFUL and TEREBELLUM were never involved.

On to the turf Mile and a strong European challenge headed by both the English and Irish 2000 Guineas winners in KAMEKO and SISKIN and naturally a strong Ballydoyle challenge led by the ultra-tough CIRCUS MAXIMUS and the 3-y-o LOPE Y FERNANDEZ. SAFE VOYAGE made up the six-strong European challenge facing last year’s winner UNI and recent Grade 1 winner IVAR.

A fantastic result after a difficult week for Ballydoyle with a 1-2-3 but almost certainly not what most suggested as Pierre Charles Boudot struck again on ORDER OF AUSTRALIA at 40/1 (UK) and 73/1 (US) odds. The Lasix might have helped but on the European form he had a huge amount to find but this was his day.

CIRCUS MAXIMUS ran his usual ultra-tough race close to the pace throughout but couldn’t quite run down his stable companion while LOPE Y FERNANDEZ ran on well to snatch third. The top American miler IVAR was fourth. KAMEKO broke well and raced close to the pace but that’s not how he normally races, and he was done 200m out. SISKIN never got involved and the ground was too quick for SAFE VOYAGE.

The Distaff clash between MONOMOY GIRL and SWISS SKYDIVER ended when the latter stumbled out of the stalls and MONOMOY GIRL established herself as the top mare in the United States with a smooth win.

The Turf over 2400m is the race the Europeans win more often than any other and while the Americans held off the raiders last year, it looked much more likely the £1.56 million pot would be heading back across the Atlantic.

Ballydoyle had MAGICAL and MOGUL but Vermeille winner TARNAWA and Gosden pair LORD NORTH and MEHDAAYIH as well as the German raider DONJAH meant Europe brought more than half the runners to the race.

The other curiosity is, unlike most other American races, the Turf is run almost like a British race with a steadier earlier gallop and a faster finish. The American CHANNEL MAKER tried to run a British race from the front ad it almost worked.

Off the home turn. Manuel Franco poached a couple of lengths as Ryan Moore was getting busy on MAGICAL but well though she ran it was another filly, TARNAWA, who quickened down the outside very much as she had done in the Vermeille and put tis to bed with a smooth success.

MAGICAL again finished second in this having gone down to the great ENABLE in 2018 and while I’m not comparing TARNAWA with that champion, there’s plenty of quality about the Aga Khan’s filly and if they keep her in training as a 5-y-o, she looks an ideal Arc contender.

As for MAGICAL, I suspect that’s the end of a glorious career which has earned £4.6 million in win and place money. She’s mixed it with champions and always run with credit.

Of the other Europeans, LORD NORTH ran on well for fourth and MOGUL for fifth and hopefully they’ll both be kept in training next year. MEHDAAYIH was seventh while DONJAN stumbled badly at halfway and finished last. I did think the turf surface didn’t look in the best of shape after two days racing.

As they say, the best is kept to last with the Classic, America’s version of the Arc de Triomphe and a real clash of the generations.

This was a traditional “sprint and suffer” American race and it was the 3-y-o AUTHENTIC who made almost every yard under John Velazquez to land the prize by two and a quarter lengths and, for a bit of perspective, to win by the end of his 3-y-o career and seven races about the same as MAGICAL has as a 5-y-o after 27 races.

AUTHENTIC won the rescheduled Derby but didn’t get his own way in the Preakness and that may be his weakness – if something takes him on up front, he doesn’t like it. None of that matters as he has been retired to Spendthrift Stud.

IMPROBABLE was caught out wide which didn’t help but he ran home well but was simply up against the young champion. GLOBAL CAMPAIGN was prominent throughout and outran his 33/1 odds in third. The disappointments were MAXIMUM SECURITY and TIZ THE LAW who both faded in the straight.

It may be IMPROBABLE will be the standard bearer for the Saudi Cup and then the Dubai World Cup in the months ahead.

A decent night for the Europeans with a clean sweep of the four big turf races – GLASS SLIPPERS, ORDER OF AUSTRALIA, AUDARYA and TARNAWA all did really well and while the 2-y-o on Friday might not quite have the mental toughness for the end-of-season journey, the older horses, perhaps helped by the truncated nature of the European campaign, once again showed that on the grass, the Europeans are superior to the North Americans and with the Melbourne Cup won by TWILIGHT PAYMENT, European racing is doing really well.

The next stop is the Japan Cup though it remains to be seen how many Europeans will go for that and finally Hong Kong in mid-December.

Not a lot to report up here currently. It's been confirmed TARNAWA will stay in training next year and Dermot Weld has said the Arc will be her main objective.

Flat racing continues up here on the All-Weather and last Saturday at Lingfield DUBAI WARRIOR returned with a smooth victory in the Churchill Stakes. I imagine his target will be the Winter Derby once again though I just wonder if there will be any interest in a trip to Meydan once the Carnival starts in January.

The Listed sprint went to GOOD REPORT who has won his last four on artificial surfaces and made good use of a low draw and a good early break.

The Japan Cup is on November 29th and the only European runner is WAY TO PARIS. He won the Ganay earlier in the season beating SOTTSASS but was beaten a long way in the Arc. All the evidence suggests he'll enjoy the firm ground in Tokyo but is he likely to be good enough against the locals? I'd be surprised.

If there's any interest I'll report on the top jump races in the UK and Ireland now the winter season is underway.

This weekend we have the first Grade 1 of the British season, the Betfair Chase over 4800m at Haydock. The ground is currently Soft but only five have been entered. On paper it looks between the three who ran in the Gold Cup at Cheltenham in March. LOSTINTRANSLATION bat BRISTOL DE MAI in this last year but ran a shocker in the King George at Kempton before returning to finish third at Cheltenham (BRISTOL DE MAI well held in eighth).

LOSTINTRANSLATION seems more effective going left handed and BRISTOL DE MAI will do well to reverse places.

CLAN DES OBEAUX won the King George but he enjoys sharp tracks and Cheltenham just isn't for him. He was well beaten in the Betfair in 2018 but he's improved since.

We've had a couple of big races in Ireland - the Champion Chase at Down Royal went to THE STORYTELLER who just held off CHRIS'S DREAM (tenth in the Gold Cup). Over the hurdles, ABRACADABRAS won the Morgiana at Punchestown but we won't see the main British contenders until the Fighting Fifth at Newcastle at the end of the month. 

I see ex Waller trained , Owen Glen  owned , 2018 Doomben Cup winner bolted up under 64kgs in claimer on second start on the poly at Dundalk last night . Transfered from UK to Irish trainer , beaten 66 lengths last UK start over 2 miles , dropped back to mile on both Dundalk runs . Must have had decent claim tag on him at that weight so must have been showing up well, went off 7/2 so I think the canny connections had a decent clean up on him .

20 hours ago, Red Rum said:

I see ex Waller trained , Owen Glen  owned , 2018 Doomben Cup winner bolted up under 64kgs in claimer on second start on the poly at Dundalk last night . Transfered from UK to Irish trainer , beaten 66 lengths last UK start over 2 miles , dropped back to mile on both Dundalk runs . Must have had decent claim tag on him at that weight so must have been showing up well, went off 7/2 so I think the canny connections had a decent clean up on him .

Well, that one passed me by - it seems like an eternity since COMIN' THROUGH was second in a Doncaster and got to within five lengths of WINX.

He did nothing in Dubai in the winter of 2018 before coming to the UK and being given a rating of 110 (so Group class). Trainer George Scott saw that down to 86 - apart from a third at Goodwood this summer he was useless and crashed down the weights.

He was sold in late October to his new owner, Jason McGannon - ran off 86 at Dundalk and then got dropped 3 lbs to 83. I think some people knew - he as backed in to 7/2 - and he still had 63.5 kilos in a claimer but hosed up. 1600m is obviously his trip - why they put him over 3200m at Chester on Heavy ground is a mystery.

I confess it had completely passed me by until I saw the race mentioned in the Racing Post this morning but we had the £250,000 Bahrain international Trophy at Sakhir, which is, as we all know, the racecourse in Bahrain. Looks like it's near the F1 circuit.

Anyway, a strong British and European contingent came for the race along with the Japanese challenger DEIRDRE for the 2000m race on grass which toom place on officially Good ground. Favourite was the John Gosden trained GLOBAL GIANT but the field included Group 1 winners LORD GLITTERS and SOVEREIGN along with the useful LOXLEY and BANGKOK.

However, the prize stayed at home thanks to SIMSIR who was given an enterprising ride by Bahrain-based Scottish jockey Lee Newman who just held off the late challenges of Frankie Dettori on GLOBAL GIANT and Ryan Moore on SOVEREIGN. SIMSIR was once trained in Ireland by Mick Halford but was only a handicapper and it looked as though a little local knowledge played dividends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx2zImrzEA8

GLOBAL GIANT ran well enough and I wonder if he'll be trained for a Meydan Carnival campaign. SOVEREIGN put up his best effort for a while while LORD GLITTERS also ran okay.

Finally, sad to see one of my favourites of the past couple of seasons, CIRCUS MAXIMUS, has been retired and will join the Coolmore roster. He was the only foal of DUNTLE, a Group 2 winner for Sir Michael Stoute.

As a 3-y-o, CIRCUS MAXIMUS was sixth in the Derby but came back just 10 days later to win the St James's Palace at Ascot. He was second in the Sussex before a slightly disappointing run over 2000m in the Juddmonte. Back at a mile, he won the Moulin and ended up with a fourth in the Breeders Cup Mile.

This season, he returned with a win in the Queen Anne before running second in the Sussex and third in both the Marois and the Moulin before a final runner-up spot in the Breeders Cup Mile. Arguably, he was the best of the older milers this year and I look forward to seeing his progeny run and if they inherit both his toughness and his ability it'll be an exciting prospect.

Last Saturday's jumps highlight was the Betfair Chase at Haydock over 4800m. Persistent rain meant Heavy ground faced the five starters but it was a fairytale end for BRISTOL DE MAI who won his third version of this race having been edged out last year by LOSTINTRANSLATION.

He made every yard and jumped superbly for Darryl Jacob. However, Haydock and Heavy ground play to his strengths and his limitations on quicker ground and other tracks have been repeatedly exposed. CLAN DES OBEAUX ran a fine race in second just tying up in the final 400m. He'll go to Kempton, where going right-handed and on better ground, he'll have a huge chance.

LOSTINTRANSLATION, who won the Betfair last year having had a run, came into this without a prep and faded tamely before four out. To be fair, his form is on better ground but he'll need to improve a lot to be a serious Gold Cup contender on this evidence.

This weekend's feature is the Fighting Fifth Hurdle at Newcastle over 3200m. Currently, the ground in the north east is Good and this will help EPATANTE who re-appears for the first time since her magnificent Champion Hurdle success in March. She's 4/7 to win this and on all the evidence, if she comes to the race in form, she's past the post. The obvious challenger is SILVER STREAK for all EPATANTE beat him at both Kempton and Cheltenham last season.

SILVER STREAK returned with a smooth win on decent ground at Kempton and it's possible with the benefit of the run he may just have the edge. CORNERSTONE LAD won the Fighting Fifth last year but he was dismal at Cheltenham though comes here fit after a win on the flat at Redcar at the beginning of the month.

Just a couple of notes on the dying embers of the northern hemisphere flat season.

Last Sunday saw Trials day in Hong Kong for the big International meeting in the middle of next month. GOLDEN SIXTY confirmed his superiority among the locals over 1600m and it's going to take a good one to beat him in the International. HOT KING PRAWN won the Sprint over 1200m but there doesn't look to be an outstanding local sprinter currently. The 2000m race saw FURORE edge out EXULTANT and I imagine both will be players in the Cup race.

The other race is the Vase over 2400m.

WAY TO PARIS is fine ahead of his attempt to win the 40th Japan Cup at Tokyo on Sunday morning (UK). He goes up against a strong local field headed by the brilliant 5-y-o mare ALMOND EYE who won the Tenno Sho last time.

7 stand for Saturday 's Fighting Fifth Hurdle at Newcastle and Champion Hurdler EPATANTE has eased from 8/15 to 4/6 in the light of support for SCEAU ROYAL who has come in from 6s to 4s. The latter is better known as a chaser and was fifth in the Champion Chase last year but he's not short of pace and loves decent ground. He won a handicap on his return and followed up in the Elite Hurdle at Wincanton three weeks ago.

He shouldn't beat the Champion hurdler but he has his ground and the benefit of race fitness and if there's a day to catch her out, this might be it.

Sunday sees a big day in Ireland with three Grade 1 races at Fairyhouse where the ground is soft. The Irish jumps season has a big Christmas meeting at Leopardstown and spring festivals at Fairyhouse and Punchestown with a big early February weekend at Leopardstown.

Sunday is, if you like, the early season championship races and does a lot to set the tone for the big Christmas meeting. We'll have the final decs through tomorrow but 11 have been entered for the Royal Bond over 3200m for novice hurdlers. On paper it looks between three - both CASK WELL ad BALLYADAM have bee wide margin winners of maiden hurdlers while the mare SHEWEARSITWELL won a Grade 3 novice at Tipperary in October which looks slightly stronger form but now has to go up against the boys.

The Drinmore is a Novice chase over 3200m and sees the second chase run of ENVOI ALLEN who won the Supreme Novices, the championship race at Cheltenham, in March and produced a thoroughly impressive debut display over the larger obstacles. On all form, he's impossible to oppose.

Finally, we have the Hatton's Grace over 4000m for the hurdlers. HONEYSUCKLE won this last year and followed up in both the Irish Champion Hurdle and the Mares Hurdle at Cheltenham. Again, on all known form, she's unopposable. The lightly-raced SALDIER hasn't been seen since winning the Morgiana last year but we know he runs well fresh but he has it to do against the mare who is very good.

Main news over here is the easing of Covid restrictions from next Wednesday and the likely return of spectators to racecourses. Courses in Tier 2 areas will be able to take up to 2000 spectators or 50% of capacity (whichever is lower) which will help a midweek meeting at Plumpton but won't mean much at Cheltenham. With courses liking to prioritise annual members and their guests, the actual numbers of tickets for the paying public look to be very limited and of course strict bio-security protocols will be in place. It's a start but that's all.

15 confirmed for Sunday's Japan Cup over 2400m at Hanshin Racecourse in Tokyo. On paper, only three matter - the 5-y-o mare ALMOND EYE takes on two exceptional 3-y-o who look to be the new superstars of Japanese racing. The filly DARING TACT is unbeaten in five including the 1000 Guineas and Oaks and won another Group 1 last time. Normally, you'd think that would make her favourite but she's up against the Triple Crown winner CONTRAIL who is unbeaten in six including, as stated, the 2000 Guineas, Derby and last time the Leger. It doesn't get much better than that but he now faces his elders and it's the Arc of Japanese racing I suppose.

Slightly slower (well, a lot slower) horses on offer at Fairyhouse on Sunday. Just seven stand in the Royal Bond for which BALLYADAM is ow 8/11 favourite over CASK WELL. ENVOI ALLEN is 1/7 to beat just three opponents in the Drinmore and HONEYSUCKLE is 4/6 to beat the boys in the Hatton's Grace.

Catching up on last weekend's action both over the jumps in Britain and Ireland and further afield in Japan.

Starting in Britain and the feature Fighting Fifth Hurdle at Newcastle went to EPATANTE who began the defence of her Champion Hurdle title with a smooth victory. She has helped by one rival refusing at the first and dropping her jockey and then the loose horse carried another rival out at the second. SCEAU ROYAL did his best to lead but was readily brushed aside approaching the last and EPATANTE won by four lengths. Next stop for her is the Christmas Hurdle at Kempton on Boxing Day.

Fairyhouse staged its big early winter card on Sunday. A low sun led to some hurdles and fences being omitted on grounds of safety but it didn't stop the three odds-on favourites all winning. BALLYADAM won the Royal Bond well enough while HONETSUCKLE scrambled home in the Hatton's Grace. However, performance of the day was from ENVOI ALLEN who was an impressive winner of the Drinmore albeit in a very slow time. He jumped very well but was never put under any pressure. 

He is in the 3200m Grade 1 novice chase at Leopardstown on Boxing Day but may go instead for the 3800m Grade 1 at Limerick. He is 11/10 favourite for the 4000m Novice chase at Cheltenham and that seems more likely than the 3200m of the Arkle.

Meanwhile at Hanshin Racecourse in Tokyo, the Japan Cup took place on the usual firm ground and they took no prisoners in this event running  57 seconds for the first 1000m and the 2400m in 2 minutes 23 seconds. KISEKI led them into the straight and he must have been ten lengths clear with 400m to go but his bolt was well and truly shot and as the pack closed it was that wonderful mare ALMOND EYE who had enjoyed a run closer to the rail throughout who prevailed from the twin late challenges of CONTRAIL and DARING TACT, the two star 3-y-o, both of whom ran fine races and might have won but for being caught further wide in the straight.

They may both be back next year and CONTRAIL in particular looks a superstar for the future but this was ALMOND EYE's future and she's basically the Japanese equivalent of ENABLE or MAGICAL. ALMOND EYE has won 10 of her 13 races and amassed £13.1 million in prize money which is nothing to sniff at. She won the Japan Cup in 2018 and went to Meydan in March 2019 to win the Dubai Turf. She beat LORD GLITTERS two lengths and he ran off 115 so you could argue ALMOND EYE is probably 10-12 lbs inferior to ENABLE and MAGICAL but ALMOND EYE was effective from 1600 to 2400m and on her day she was very good. Her final outing was perhaps one of her best and I imagine she'll be a highly sought-after broodmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcA4FowPsXs

That just leaves Hong Kong for the flat fans in a couple of weeks.

Over here. it's getting colder but with a few spectators allowed to return from today, there's a sense of racing emerging from the long Covid nightmare. Sandown stages the main British meeting on Saturday with two Grade 1 steeplechases over 3200m - the Henry VIII for the novices and the Tingle Creek for the Champion Chase contenders. The latter sees the return of ALTIOR, the former Champion Chaser whose season was interrupted after he won the Game Spirit at Newbury. He was forced to miss Cheltenham and the pandemic ruled out other options. He's 4/5 but faces old rival and this year's Champion Chase winner POLITOLOGUE. ALTIOR came out the best in the 2019 Champion Chase by a couple of lengths but that was a long time ago. We know POLITOLOGUE enjoys going right handed so this should be a cracking renewal.

I think both might struggle against a match-fit ROUGE VIF who loves decent ground and was very impressive at Cheltenham on his seasonal debut.

The Henry VIII is another hot race and the fashion these days (particularly because of French imports) is to start them on the bigger fences at four rather than five or six. 4-y-o get a big weight allowance from the older horses and the likes of FORALLMANKIND and HITMAN have looked impressive on their chasing debuts. Very little between them but I'll give HITMAN a tentative vote.

Sunday's big race in Ireland is the John Durkan Memorial over 4000m at Punchestown.

8 hours ago, stodge said:

Catching up on last weekend's action both over the jumps in Britain and Ireland and further afield in Japan.

Starting in Britain and the feature Fighting Fifth Hurdle at Newcastle went to EPATANTE who began the defence of her Champion Hurdle title with a smooth victory. She has helped by one rival refusing at the first and dropping her jockey and then the loose horse carried another rival out at the second. SCEAU ROYAL did his best to lead but was readily brushed aside approaching the last and EPATANTE won by four lengths. Next stop for her is the Christmas Hurdle at Kempton on Boxing Day.

Fairyhouse staged its big early winter card on Sunday. A low sun led to some hurdles and fences being omitted on grounds of safety but it didn't stop the three odds-on favourites all winning. BALLYADAM won the Royal Bond well enough while HONETSUCKLE scrambled home in the Hatton's Grace. However, performance of the day was from ENVOI ALLEN who was an impressive winner of the Drinmore albeit in a very slow time. He jumped very well but was never put under any pressure. 

He is in the 3200m Grade 1 novice chase at Leopardstown on Boxing Day but may go instead for the 3800m Grade 1 at Limerick. He is 11/10 favourite for the 4000m Novice chase at Cheltenham and that seems more likely than the 3200m of the Arkle.

Meanwhile at Hanshin Racecourse in Tokyo, the Japan Cup took place on the usual firm ground and they took no prisoners in this event running  57 seconds for the first 1000m and the 2400m in 2 minutes 23 seconds. KISEKI led them into the straight and he must have been ten lengths clear with 400m to go but his bolt was well and truly shot and as the pack closed it was that wonderful mare ALMOND EYE who had enjoyed a run closer to the rail throughout who prevailed from the twin late challenges of CONTRAIL and DARING TACT, the two star 3-y-o, both of whom ran fine races and might have won but for being caught further wide in the straight.

They may both be back next year and CONTRAIL in particular looks a superstar for the future but this was ALMOND EYE's future and she's basically the Japanese equivalent of ENABLE or MAGICAL. ALMOND EYE has won 10 of her 13 races and amassed £13.1 million in prize money which is nothing to sniff at. She won the Japan Cup in 2018 and went to Meydan in March 2019 to win the Dubai Turf. She beat LORD GLITTERS two lengths and he ran off 115 so you could argue ALMOND EYE is probably 10-12 lbs inferior to ENABLE and MAGICAL but ALMOND EYE was effective from 1600 to 2400m and on her day she was very good. Her final outing was perhaps one of her best and I imagine she'll be a highly sought-after broodmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcA4FowPsXs

That just leaves Hong Kong for the flat fans in a couple of weeks.

Over here. it's getting colder but with a few spectators allowed to return from today, there's a sense of racing emerging from the long Covid nightmare. Sandown stages the main British meeting on Saturday with two Grade 1 steeplechases over 3200m - the Henry VIII for the novices and the Tingle Creek for the Champion Chase contenders. The latter sees the return of ALTIOR, the former Champion Chaser whose season was interrupted after he won the Game Spirit at Newbury. He was forced to miss Cheltenham and the pandemic ruled out other options. He's 4/5 but faces old rival and this year's Champion Chase winner POLITOLOGUE. ALTIOR came out the best in the 2019 Champion Chase by a couple of lengths but that was a long time ago. We know POLITOLOGUE enjoys going right handed so this should be a cracking renewal.

I think both might struggle against a match-fit ROUGE VIF who loves decent ground and was very impressive at Cheltenham on his seasonal debut.

The Henry VIII is another hot race and the fashion these days (particularly because of French imports) is to start them on the bigger fences at four rather than five or six. 4-y-o get a big weight allowance from the older horses and the likes of FORALLMANKIND and HITMAN have looked impressive on their chasing debuts. Very little between them but I'll give HITMAN a tentative vote.

Sunday's big race in Ireland is the John Durkan Memorial over 4000m at Punchestown.

Sex Appeal close up in pedigree of Almond Eye Stodge , dam of El Gran Senor , how many were spending their winnings in their minds at the 2 pole at Epsom in 1984 . 

17 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Sex Appeal close up in pedigree of Almond Eye Stodge , dam of El Gran Senor , how many were spending their winnings in their minds at the 2 pole at Epsom in 1984 . 

Truth was I backed SECRETO each way that day, my friend. On at 14s and I was reconciled to getting my money back but it all turned out right in the end. Apparently Pat Eddery knew he was running on empty 400m out and was trying to nurse the favourite home much as Lester did on NIJINSKY in the 1970 Leger but Christy Roche wouldn't go away and got up close home.

A lot of cold rain in London today and it'll be interesting to see where that leaves the ground for the two-day December Meeting at Sandown starting tomorrow. 

Looking ahead to Saturday, the two Grade 1 chases have both drawn fields of six. The Henry VIII sees the three 4-y-o take on the three older novices but the younger horses should have the edge with the weight concession on the ground. I fancy HITMAN but I'll need more idea of the ground before committing.

As for the Tingle Creek, I'm not sure the rain has done either ALTIOR or ROUGE VIF any favours tough the former should be okay at this trip. GREANATEEN is well fancied after his win in a Grade 2 at Exeter but I'm not convinced which leaves the Champion Chaser POLITOLOGUE and I got on at 9/2 this morning (7/2 now).

53 minutes ago, stodge said:

Truth was I backed SECRETO each way that day, my friend. On at 14s and I was reconciled to getting my money back but it all turned out right in the end. Apparently Pat Eddery knew he was running on empty 400m out and was trying to nurse the favourite home much as Lester did on NIJINSKY in the 1970 Leger but Christy Roche wouldn't go away and got up close home.

Pat Eddery got some stick in some quarters over ride but I agree as it was talk in lead up if he would stay final 2 , beat Rainbow Quest in Irish Derby though few weeks later but I recall  I read once one pundit wrote he was one of  the best horses for years over  10 furlongs , problem was he was never raced over trip .

Dancing Brave , now there was a Derby win butchered .

42 minutes ago, stodge said:

A lot of cold rain in London today and it'll be interesting to see where that leaves the ground for the two-day December Meeting at Sandown starting tomorrow. 

Looking ahead to Saturday, the two Grade 1 chases have both drawn fields of six. The Henry VIII sees the three 4-y-o take on the three older novices but the younger horses should have the edge with the weight concession on the ground. I fancy HITMAN but I'll need more idea of the ground before committing.

As for the Tingle Creek, I'm not sure the rain has done either ALTIOR or ROUGE VIF any favours tough the former should be okay at this trip. GREANATEEN is well fancied after his win in a Grade 2 at Exeter but I'm not convinced which leaves the Champion Chaser POLITOLOGUE and I got on at 9/2 this morning (7/2 now).

I am a jumps man Stodge but I can at times fall out of love with the game , what was Whisper doing in that Veterans Chase at Haydock , no form, clearly issues and off track for 13 months , 12 years old , it don't look good IMHO. Done them a few turns over the years .

21 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Pat Eddery got some stick in some quarters over ride but I agree as it was talk in lead up if he would stay final 2 , beat Rainbow Quest in Irish Derby though few weeks later but I recall  I read once one pundit wrote he was one of  the best horses for years over  10 furlongs , problem was he was never raced over trip .

Dancing Brave , now there was a Derby win butchered .

Eddery was the beneficiary of all that as he got on the horse after Starkey was injured and became the retained rider for Prince Khalid which got him on to any number of good horses. It gave him a second spell at the top after some quieter years reading for Vincent O'Brien at Ballydoyle.

As for Starkey, his career became defined by DANCING BRAVE's Epsom defeat and he never recovered from it professionally. Allegedly, there was bad blood between him and Eddery after what happened.

The incredible thing about the 1986 Derby was, seeing how far back Starkey was, how close he got. I think they timed his last 600m and it matched that of a 1000m sprinter. 

22 hours ago, Red Rum said:

I am a jumps man Stodge but I can at times fall out of love with the game , what was Whisper doing in that Veterans Chase at Haydock , no form, clearly issues and off track for 13 months , 12 years old , it don't look good IMHO. Done them a few turns over the years .

Yes, WHISPER's demise poses some awkward questions for jumps fans. He horse who narrowly beat him in 2017 in the championship novice chases at both Cheltenham and Aintree, MIGHT BITE, is also still racing.

WHISPER was well held by MIGHT BITE In the 2017 King George at Kempton and there was talk of a Grand National bid and he wouldn't have been the most unlikely winner of the race given he seemed to be a decent jumper but it never happened and his efforts on the race track in the past three years were poor.

Tomorrow we've got six steeplechases on free-to-air television including the London National at Sandown over 5900m. Fortunately, only seven are running but on heavy ground it's going to be a real slog and we also have two races over the National fences at Aintree. I just hope we get everyone back safe tomorrow - any fatalities wouldn't be good for the sport's image.  The one thing I do believe is speed kills - normally horses are safe if the ground makes them go slow.

Even if that's so watching two or three exhausted horses slogging up the Esher hill or the long Aintree run-in doesn't look good.

8 go in the John Durkan at Punchestown on Sunday over 4000m. It's a steeplechase which usually attracts a strong field and this year is no exception. Favourite is MIN who won this last year and went on to win the Ryanair at Cheltenham.

CHRIS'S DREAM has the benefit of a run having finished second at Down Royal in the Champion Chase - I'm just not convinced about him in Grade 1 company. He was well beaten in the Gold Cup though perhaps this shorter distance will help but does he have the speed?

ALLAHO was a close third in the RSA at Cheltenham and I wonder about this trip first time up which brings us to SAMCRO who seems to have been around forever. He was a star novice hurdler in 2018 but it didn't happen for him in terms of becoming a Champion hurdler so they sent him chasing and he had a couple of falls but redeemed himself somewhat winning the Golden Miller, the 4000m event for the novices, at Cheltenham.

I suspect the Ryanair would be the target but MIN is very good albeit the latter hasn't had a run. Not an easy race to call but I would be with MIN.

A chance to look back on the jumps action here last weekend.

Rain led to a significant softening of the ground at Sandown and led to the morning withdrawal of ALTIOR who will wait to Christmas. ROUGE VIF was hugely disadvantaged by the soft ground and the Tingle Creek went to POLITOLOGUE rewarding an ante-post bet at 9/2 by returning at 5/4. The winner did it well enough but this is a long way from the Champion Chase and the favourite for that, CHACUN POUR SOI, looked good when winning a Grade 2 at Cork on Sunday. 

The Henry VIII brought together five unbeaten novice chasers but ALLMANKIND turned out a worthy winner seeing off HITMAN up the hill. As 4-y-o, they can only improve but they will have to if they are to beat the likes of SISKIN.

Sunday's John Durkan at Punchestown was run in thick fog (the meeting was abandoned after the race) but MIN prevailed and he will clearly be a big player in the Ryanair though I wonder if connections will be tempted by the King George at Kempton.

The last hurrah of the Northern Hemisphere flat season comes on Sunday morning (UK) in Hong Kong with the four International races.

Seven go in the Vase over 2400m. EXULTANT looks the best of the locals but faces a fascinating contender in MOGUL from the Aidan O'Brien yard. We know MOGUL loves fast ground and he was a decent fifth in the Breeders Cup Turf last time. He gets weight from the locals but it'll be a great chance to see how Hong Kong form compares with the rest of the world.

A full field, as you'd expect, for the Sprint over 1200m - no Europeans but the locals have plenty to worry about with the useful Japanese sprinter DANON SMASH but more especially the Everest winner CLASSIQUE LEGEND. It's always good to see the top Aussie, Japanese and Hong Kong sprinters meet and while HOT KING PRAWN is probably pick of the locals it's a race to watch.

10 go in the Mile and shock Breeders Cup Mile winner ORDER OF AUSTRALIA brings an added dimension to this but he'll have to be at his best against the strong locals GOLDEN SIXTY and BEAUTY GENERATION. ROMANISED flies the flag for Ireland and he'd have a chance on his 2019 form but he's not looked so good this campaign.

9 go for the £1,543,000 Cup over 2000m. It's another wonderful race with the locals facing a strong international challenge. From France we have SKALLETI who won the Dollar before running second in the Champion Stakes at Ascot - whether he'll be as effective on quicker ground remains to be seen. The three Japanese challengers look to be headed by DANON PREMIUM who run fourth to subsequent Japan Cup winner ALMOND EYE last time. For Ireland, Aidan O'Brien saddles MAGICAL and we all know how talented this mare is. She was just behind SKALLETI at Ascot but then ran a fine second to TARNAWA in the Breeders Cup Turf. A fast-run 2000m on a sharp track suits well and the locals won't find her easy to beat.

On 12/4/2020 at 8:46 AM, stodge said:

Loved the National Hunt when living in England Stodge. Hope your bets came in for you. 

That Sandown is a great course for both jumps and flat racing. I attended the December meeting you refer too. In 1994 I think it was.

I recall you catch the train to the back of the course, then some walk to the grandstand. Also attended Exeter October meeting the same year. A more rustic course.