RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
stodge

News from the North(ern) Hemisphere

Eight have been left in Saturday's Irish Oaks at The Curragh where the ground is currently Good. ENNISTYMON comes off the back of running second in both the Ribblesdale and the English Oaks and that's solid form. She looks the pick of the four Aidan O'Brien runners though SNOW won the Munster Oaks last time (a Group 3) and is clearly improving.

The main threat to the Ballydoyle contingent looks to be CAYENNE PEPPER who was unbeaten in three before running fourth in the Group 1 Fillies Mile. She re-appeared in the Pretty Polly and chased home MAGICAL albeit at a respectable distance. She's by Australia and you'd think she get the trip well but I suspect the Ballydoyle contingent will want to put that to the test. 

I'm not playing in the race but I think ENNISTYMON is the one I like.

The supporting Group 2 races start with the Curragh Cup over 2800m. MASTER OF REALITY will be known to most on here having run a close fourth in the Melbourne Cup last November and you;d imagine that is the objective again this time. He was a long way behind TWILIGHT PAYMENT in the Vintage Crop. The interesting one is the 3-y-o MEMORABILIS who only won a maiden last time but Aidan puts on the blinkers and that's a big hint more is expected.

The Minstrel over 1400m features ROMANISED, a former Irish 2000 Guineas winner who won this last year before picking up the Jacques Le Marois at Deauville and only just failing against CIRCUS MAXIMUS in the Moulin. That's solid Group 1 form in a Group 2 and it will do for me if he is fit after a long layoff. LANCASTER HOUSE is very lightly raced and won the Gladness last time but on figures has a bit to find with ROMANISED though has race fitness on his side.

The Railway over 1200m for the juveniles has seven runners, six of whom have already won a race. MERCHANTS QUAY looks the O'Brien pick but I'm interested in TO GLORY who won a Limerick maiden on debut and could be anything.

A big evening in North America with the Haskell at Monmouth Park featuring Belmont Stakes runner-up DR POST.

A quick look at Sunday with eight declared for the Ispahan over 1800m at Chantilly. Of the eight declared, four are from the UK but the local PERSIAN KING who won the Poulains last year, looks to have the answers. Of the raiders, POGO was a convincing winner of a Listed last time but I like POSITIVE who was highly tried as a juvenile and was a fair fourth in the St James's Palace on his seasonal bow. He didn't get the clearest of runs that day and at 10/1 I'm going to have a little each way play.

The final declarations are through for Sunday's cards.

The Curragh stages another interesting meeting. Six go in the 1200m Airlie Stud Stakes for the juvenile fillies. MORE BEAUTIFUL was well held in the Queen Mary but this is much easier. FRENETIC looked good over 1000m last time while MOTHER EARTH decisively beat SUSSEX GARDEN last time. The problem was though it was a Group 3 it was run on much slower ground so it remaisn to be seen how the form stands up in better company on faster ground. I don't have a play in this but FRENETIC would be my choice.

The Sapphire is for the older sprinters over 1200m. A'ALI came back to form with a vengeance last time at Sandown but that was over 1000m though he did win the Papin (of which more anon) over 1100m last year. MAKE A CHALLENGE was well held in the Greenlands which is the equivalent of this level but won a Listed last time and this looks a weak Group 2.

At Chantilly, the Papin (re-routed from Deauville and 100m further) has just four runners. THE LIR JET won the Norfolk at Ascot but this isn't going to be easy. Fellow British raider VENTURA TORMENTA was well held by MASTER OF THE SEA last weekend and I can't see the drop back in trip helping.

That takes us to the two locals - Boudot rides AXDAVALLI who is a bit like THE LIR JET in that he won at 1000m last time. The filly TIGER TANAKA is unbeaten but she won over 1600m last time. 

I don't know - really I don't.

Time to look back on the weekend in the northern hemisphere.

Ireland staged the feature meeting on Saturday with the Oaks run on Good/Yielding turf after quite a bit of overnight rain. EVEN SO continued the tremendous form of Colin Keane and trainer Ger Lyons who won the Irish 2000 Guineas with SISKIN (runs at Goodwood next week) but this was a scrappy race and I'm not sure it told us very much.

ENNISTYMON was very disappointing - perhaps tough races at Ascot and Epsom left their mark. CAYENNE PEPPER didn't look as happy on the ground as she had against MAGICAL (runs at Ascot on Saturday). PASSION isn't a world-beater so the overall form quality is suspect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i__6jByL8cg

In the supporting Group 2 races on Saturday, TWILIGHT PAYMENT was an impressive eight length winner of the Curragh Cup. MASTER OF REALITY looked very one paced in second. LAWS OF INDICES sprang a 66/1 shock when winning the Railway suggesting the Irish juveniles are at this stage nothing special. It was really good to see ROMANISED come home so strongly in the Minstrel defeating LANCASTER HOUSE and I wonder if he'll turn up in the Marois at Deauville next month.

Off then across the Pond for three traditional Grade 1 American events. The American Oaks at Saratoga saw a 1-2 for Winstar Stablemates with the second string PARIS LIGHTS just outbattling CRYSTAL BALL. AQUAPHOBIA won a very weak renewal of the United Nations Handicap over 2100m on the grass at Monmouth and AUTHENTIC made every yard to win the Haskell just holding off the late run of NY TRAFFIC. DR POST was well back in third.

Sunday saw another decent card at The Curragh. The Airlie Stud Stakes saw another juvenile boilover with ALOHA STAR at 33/1 getting up to floor FRENETIC and MOTHER EARTH. A'ALI made a successful journey across the Irish Sea to win the Sapphire and clearly loves a fast 1000m - I wonder if they'll let him take on BATTAASH at York. The Keane/Lyons combination picked up another nice prize with LEMISTA winning the Kilboy Estate Stakes.

At Chantilly yesterday, the traditional Anglo-French rivalry was in full flow. Sandringham Handicap winner ONASSIS followed up in Listed company and in a real head-bobber VENTURA TORMENTA inched out THE LIR JET in the Papin. However, the raiders were no match for PERSIAN KING in the Ispahan - the winner looked very useful having enjoyed the run of the race. It'll be interesting to see if Andre Fabre is tempted by a race like the Irish Champion down the line.STORMY ANTARCTIC and POGO ran well for the places.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIEuDkbJOvA

Looking ahead to the coming weekend, the feature is the King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes at Ascot over 2400m on Saturday.

Eight have been entered, ENABLE and FANNY LOGAN from the Gosden yard and six from the Aidan O'Brien yard headed by MAGICAL and JAPAN. Incredible to think an entire Group 1 field has come from just two yards.

ENABLE is 4/5 and MAGICAL is 11/4.

The main Group 2 on Saturday is the City of York over 2000m at (not surprisingly) York. TELECASTER, who won a Group 3 nicely at Longchamp last time, is favourite among the nine entries which include the very useful ELARQAM.

Sunday's big race in Ireland is the Tattersalls Gold Cup at The Curragh. More details as we move down the week. 

Hi Stodge, I see from entries this weekend Rivet has appeared in OZ with Lindsey Smith . Looking at the trainers Facebook page he appears to have been hitting the surf , didn't disgrace himself for few years in HK but if he can be sweetened up he could win a few in OZ . Finished ahead of plenty of good ones in his time .

20 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Hi Stodge, I see from entries this weekend Rivet has appeared in OZ with Lindsey Smith . Looking at the trainers Facebook page he appears to have been hitting the surf , didn't disgrace himself for few years in HK but if he can be sweetened up he could win a few in OZ . Finished ahead of plenty of good ones in his time .

Yes, he raced in the UK at two and three. As a juvenile, he once beat THUNDER SNOW in a novice - the latter went on to win the Dubai World Cup. He ended up winning the Group 1 Racing Post Trophy at Doncaster so went into the winter rated 114 and a serious contender.

At three, RIVET kept very good company - second to EMINENT in the Craven and third in the Poulains. I don't think he stayed the 2000m in the Jockey Club and ended his European career with a sixth to BARNEY ROY in the St James's Palace. He ended up with a rating of 115 suggesting he didn't improve much from two to three and others improved past him. On breeding you'd think the 2000m would be ideal but he was really only a miler.

The truth is he hasn't won since three times as a juvenile and it'll be interesting to see if Australia provides a new start.

21 have been entered for the Tattersalls Gold Cup at The Curragh on Sunday and the latest rumour is MAGICAL will swerve another clash with ENABLE and run at The Curragh, If that happens, JAPAN will presumably stand as ENABLE's main opponent and that will be interesting as Aidan O'Brien has always seen JAPAN as a 2400 rather than 2000m horse.

Goodwood next week and with more owners allowed back on track from next Tuesday and a crowd of 5000 permitted on Saturday 1st for the Stewards' Cup, some signs of normality.

The meeting has three Group 1 races, the Sussex, the Nassau and the Goodwood Cup.

Final declarations are through for Saturday's racing which is dominated by the King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes at Ascot. Run over 2400m, it is the first Group 1 clash at that distance between the classic generation and the older horses.

It's worth £226,840 to the winner and yet there are just four runners - ENABLE versus three from Aidan O'Brien in the forms of ANTHONY VAN DYCK, JAPAN and SOVEREIGN. 

It's a Group 1 race and all four are Group 1 winners and three have won classics. Starting with the O'Brien runners, SOVEREIGN was a runaway winner of last year's Irish Derby using tactics which were emulated by SERPENTINE at Epsom three weeks ago. On his return after nearly a year off, SOVEREIGN was third to TWILIGHT PAYMENT in the Vintage Crop and as we know the latter was a wide margin winner of the Curragh Cup last weekend.

ANTHONY VAN DYCK won the Epsom Derby in 2019 in a bunch finish but he's been mostly disappointing since. He did run well when second to GHAIYYATH in the Coronation Cup and the winner went on to beat ENABLE in the Eclipse but ANTHONY VAN DYCK didn't do much in the Hardwicke next time and frankly doesn't look good enough.

JAPAN was third to ANTHONY VAN DYCK in the 2019 Derby but improved afterward to win the Grand Prix de Paris and the Juddmonte International before running fourth to Waldgeist (and behind ENABLE) in the Arc. After a moderate run in the Prince of Wales on seasonal debut, he was third to GHAIYYATH in the Eclipse (where ENABLE was second).

ENABLE needs very little introduction - dual Arc winner and also dual King George winner and last year she did it the hard way outbattling Crystal Ocean in the final 100m. She was beaten by Waldgeist in the Arc and on seasonal re-appearance was held by a racefit GHAIYYATH for whom 2000m round Sandown on quick ground was ideal. 

This is ENABLE's trip and she should be much straighter for her Sandown run - she's 6 lbs in front of these on the numbers and while she's no punting proposition at 1/2, she'll do for me though I suspect Team Ballydoyle will try to find some way to unsettle her. IF SOVEREIGN goes off quick, she'll be staying on so a tactical race may be a possibility with the hope JAPAN can do her for toe in the final 200m but I'm not convinced.

On a 10-race card at York, the feature is the York Stakes over 2000m, a Group 2. TELECASTER looked very good in France last time but ELARQAM loves the track and may have found soft ground and 2400m too much in the Hardwicke last time. There are only seven which reduces the betting options but I quite like KING OF COMEDY at a price - he was fourth in the Juddmonte last year and on that form he has a real chance. He was beaten on re-appearance at Newbury but he wouldn't be the first Gosden horse to come on for a run.

Saturday also sees the Durban July at Greyville in South Africa but that's your hemisphere not mine.

Thoughts already turning to Goodwood next week - a five day Festival starting on Tuesday. The current ground report is Good, Good to Firm in places but we're moving into an unsettled spell through the weekend so we'll see.

The opening day starts with a Group 1 and two Group 2 races. The Group 1 is the Goodwood Cup over 3200m for which seven have been entered. The race has been open to 3-y-o for some time but for many years you never saw a 3-y-o runner but three years ago STRADIVARIUS became the first to win as a 3-y-o since Lucky Moon in 1990. The 3-y-o get a lot of weight from the older horses - 15 lbs - so it's a temptation and it's fascinating to see Aidan O'Brien running the Irish Derby winner SANTIAGO.

STRADIVARIUS beat NAYEF ROAD comfortably at Ascot over 4000m on soft ground and I suspect the latter will be closer this time but STRADIVARIUS has won this three times and the Goodwood track holds no fears. The problem is SANTIAGO is no mug and is a better horse now than STRADIVARIUS was then . Before winning the Irish Derby he had won the Queen's Vase over 2800m at Ascot so you'd think 3200m wouldn't be an issue so this looks an intriguing contest to say the least. 

14 have been entered in the Vintage for the juveniles over 1400m. TWAASOL won the Woodcote at Epsom and catches my eye while the Lennox for the older horses also over 1400m has a maximum of 20 entries. LIMATO looked good at Newmarket the other day but there are a couple of interesting 3-y-o ended notably PIERRE LAPIN.

9 have been entered for the Group 1 Sussex Stakes over 1600m on Wednesday. No PALACE PIER or EARTHLIGHT, both of whom are going for the Marois over the straight 1600m at Deauville. Nonetheless, a fascinating race with Irish 2000 Guineas winner SISKIN facing Summer Mile winner MOHAATHER, English 2000 Guineas KAMEKO and the Queen Anne winner CIRCUS MAXIMUS who was second in this last year and looks a ridiculous price at 6/1.

Quick update this evening.

ANTHONY VAN DYCK was scratched from the King George so just three go to post tomorrow with ENABLE 4/9 and JAPAN 5/2.

MAGICAL was diverted from the King George to Sunday's Tattersalls Gold Cup over 2000m at The Curragh and she is 1/3 favourite to see off her five rivals. BUCKHURST beat SIR DRAGONET in the Alleged while ARMORY is Group 1 placed and was a close fourth to SISKIN in the Irish 2000 Guineas but none of them should get anywhere near MAGICAL.

Next Thursday's Group 1 Nassau Stakes at Goodwood over 2000m for the fillies and mares has attracted an entry of just eight but it looks an interesting race. The impressive and unbeaten Saint-Alary winner TAWKEEL would face the Diane winner FANCY BLUE and the Falmouth winner NAZEEF.

On 7/22/2020 at 5:56 AM, stodge said:

Yes, he raced in the UK at two and three. As a juvenile, he once beat THUNDER SNOW in a novice - the latter went on to win the Dubai World Cup. He ended up winning the Group 1 Racing Post Trophy at Doncaster so went into the winter rated 114 and a serious contender.

At three, RIVET kept very good company - second to EMINENT in the Craven and third in the Poulains. I don't think he stayed the 2000m in the Jockey Club and ended his European career with a sixth to BARNEY ROY in the St James's Palace. He ended up with a rating of 115 suggesting he didn't improve much from two to three and others improved past him. On breeding you'd think the 2000m would be ideal but he was really only a miler.

The truth is he hasn't won since three times as a juvenile and it'll be interesting to see if Australia provides a new start.

Nice run for 4th. The other UK horse Skyman was impressive winning first up at Caulfield for Waller.
Another Bosma Go Racing purchase.

6BF3B7BD-E9CA-4777-856B-46AF1DA0B747.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

Nice run for 4th. The other UK horse Skyman was impressive winning first up at Caulfield for Waller.
Another Bosma Go Racing purchase.

6BF3B7BD-E9CA-4777-856B-46AF1DA0B747.jpeg

Nice photo OM , Top win by Skyman , ambled up and breezed by , best form seen  out of Nottingham since Clough was in  charge of the city .Global Gift was behind him at Nottingham , let's see if he can do the job today at Sale .

Rivet , if he had settled he would have placed at worst , Lindsey Smith and the beach has by looks of it sorted him out of his HK malaise . 

Enable,  what a heartbreaker she won't get the big send off she deserves with a big crowd .

Did you see the Queens horse Award Scheme at York , she's got a good team this year . Again typical she gets some very good horses and no crowd to cheer them home like they do with hers .

SKYMAN was rated 79 on his last UK run so no world beater. Strangely he ran quite often on slow ground which he seemed to handle but won on quick ground at Sandown. He should get 2000m comfortably on breeding and there's plenty of stamina on the dam' s side.

ENABLE needs no praise from me and I presume the plan will be the Yorkshire Oaks and the Arc but the latter will be no cakewalk.

I have to confess I had a few quid on AWARD SCHEME yesterday - one of the first punting lessons I was taught by Grandpa Stodge was "follow a filly in form". She only won a neck at Salisbury but the front two were eight lengths clear so kicking her up 8 lbs was understandable but she was very impressive yesterday and could well be worth a tilt at Listed company - this will be significant for future breeding options - if she can get black type they'll have no problem finding her a top stallion.

AWARD SCHEME is by Siyoumi out of a Dansili prize - the dam won at two but only ran once at three and was last in the Oaks Trial at Lingfield before being moved to France where she never raced. AWARD SCHEME is the second foal - the first was nothing special.

The one filly I am looking forward to seeing is the horse just beaten by AWARD SCHEME at Salisbury - ARRIVISTE. She's been kicked up to 86 (which may be lenient) and she's by Sea The Moon out of an Archipenko mare so you'd think 2400m would be right up her street. She's in the notebook and I'd love to see her in a race like the Galtres at York (or even the Ebor but she'd need to be in the 90s to get in the latter).

While I'm here confirmation seven will go in Tuesday's Goodwood Cup over 3200m. STRADIVARIUS is 1/2, SANTIAGO is 9/4 and it's 16/1 bar which tells you all you need to know. Ryan Moore is sweating down to 8 st 8 to ride SANTIAGO and gets 15 lbs from STRADIVARIUS so this will be a fascinating contest.

As for the supporting Group 2 races, ten go in the Vintage for the juveniles over 1400m. The Chesham winner BATTLEGROUND is 5/4 favourite and boasts the obvious form. Thirteen stand in the Lennox over 1400m. SPACE BLUES, who won the Porte Maillot at Longchamp last time, is 3/1 favourite while PIERRE LAPIN has to bounce back from his Commonwealth Cup failure at 5/1. 

SAFE VOYAGE was a close second to SPACE BLUES at Haydock and is in at 6/1. He won nicely at Epsom last time and that looks a big price each way.

The ground at Goodwood is currently Good to Soft after heavy rain yesterday but it's a fine day and I suspect the course will be delighted with conditions.

8 hours ago, stodge said:

SKYMAN was rated 79 on his last UK run so no world beater. Strangely he ran quite often on slow ground which he seemed to handle but won on quick ground at Sandown. He should get 2000m comfortably on breeding and there's plenty of stamina on the dam' s side.

ENABLE needs no praise from me and I presume the plan will be the Yorkshire Oaks and the Arc but the latter will be no cakewalk.

I have to confess I had a few quid on AWARD SCHEME yesterday - one of the first punting lessons I was taught by Grandpa Stodge was "follow a filly in form". She only won a neck at Salisbury but the front two were eight lengths clear so kicking her up 8 lbs was understandable but she was very impressive yesterday and could well be worth a tilt at Listed company - this will be significant for future breeding options - if she can get black type they'll have no problem finding her a top stallion.

AWARD SCHEME is by Siyoumi out of a Dansili prize - the dam won at two but only ran once at three and was last in the Oaks Trial at Lingfield before being moved to France where she never raced. AWARD SCHEME is the second foal - the first was nothing special.

The one filly I am looking forward to seeing is the horse just beaten by AWARD SCHEME at Salisbury - ARRIVISTE. She's been kicked up to 86 (which may be lenient) and she's by Sea The Moon out of an Archipenko mare so you'd think 2400m would be right up her street. She's in the notebook and I'd love to see her in a race like the Galtres at York (or even the Ebor but she'd need to be in the 90s to get in the latter).

While I'm here confirmation seven will go in Tuesday's Goodwood Cup over 3200m. STRADIVARIUS is 1/2, SANTIAGO is 9/4 and it's 16/1 bar which tells you all you need to know. Ryan Moore is sweating down to 8 st 8 to ride SANTIAGO and gets 15 lbs from STRADIVARIUS so this will be a fascinating contest.

As for the supporting Group 2 races, ten go in the Vintage for the juveniles over 1400m. The Chesham winner BATTLEGROUND is 5/4 favourite and boasts the obvious form. Thirteen stand in the Lennox over 1400m. SPACE BLUES, who won the Porte Maillot at Longchamp last time, is 3/1 favourite while PIERRE LAPIN has to bounce back from his Commonwealth Cup failure at 5/1. 

SAFE VOYAGE was a close second to SPACE BLUES at Haydock and is in at 6/1. He won nicely at Epsom last time and that looks a big price each way.

The ground at Goodwood is currently Good to Soft after heavy rain yesterday but it's a fine day and I suspect the course will be delighted with conditions.

Punting the forth out the Salisbury race Award Scheme won  was the  first to run again , won under topweight at Sandown last week. The third goes tonight at Windsor for Godolphin so form stacking up a bit with the distances Award Scheme put on these horses . Dam Queens Prize half brother Bold Sniper was sent out to Hayes yard by The Queen and won a couple in Australia.  Frustrating horse to back as always seemed to over race .

Starting the review of the weekend, Saturday saw a disappointing three runner turn out for the King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes. As a race, it was a non-event. Run in a downpour (as it often is strangely given it's the end of July), SOVEREIGN set the early fractions but Frankie Dettori was always comfortable on ENABLE and with JAPAN in trouble off the home turn, Dettori just had to push ENABLE into the lead and she came away to win by five and a half lengths.

This was her third King George and a remarkable achievement and one wonders if she had been sound as a 4-y-o whether she'd have won it four times. Dettori has now matched Lester Piggott having won the race seven times.

In truth, it told us nothing - JAPAN was very disappointing and I'm not sure if the rain that fell before the race hindered him but he should have been closer. ENABLE now heads to York (possibly) before Paris and there will likely be a clash with LOVE which, to be honest, many are anxious to see. LOVE has looked very good among her own gender and generation but to go against the older fillies at York and then the boys in Paris will tell us so much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BfgbDBdGu8

Up at York, ASPETAR was a surprise winner of the Group 2 York Stakes in which ELARQAM ran a shocker coming home last. FOX CHAIRMAN was second and it was poignant to see LORD GLITTERS, whose enterprising owner passed away last week, come home well in third.

In America on Saturday evening, VOLATILE was a smooth winner of the Alfred Vanderbilt at Saratoga -  he's clearly a very fast horse and the Breeders Cup Dirt Sprint looks the obvious target.

Yesterday, MAGICAL was a comfortable winner of the Tattersalls Gold Cup and it was nice to see SIR DRAGONET continue his return to form. The winner is no mug and I imagine "the lads" will want to keep her and LOVE apart until Paris so I suspect MAGICAL will go for the Juddmonte at York or perhaps she will wait for the Irish Champion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hvD7W4ECR8

I forgot to mention the Group 1 in Germany yesterday which was very remiss - the Grosser Dallmayr Preis over 2000m at Munich - and this saw BARNEY ROY win another Group 1. Since his return to racing after an abortive career at stud, BARNEY ROY has been well campaigned and while his limitations at Group 1 level in the UK have been exposed, he has been able to win weaker races abroad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaTz6e1X720

Goodwood's Glorious Meeting starts tomorrow with the ground still just on the slow side of Good.

Wednesday's Group 1 Sussex Stakes has just seven runners. The slower ground has meant SISKIN has eased to 9/4 with MOHAATHER at 11/4, KAMEKO at 4s and WICHITA at 5s with CIRCUS MAXIMUS at 11/2. We simply don't know if the 3-y-o, in receipt of 8 lbs, will be up to taking on the older horses. I'm not a big fan of SISKIN or KAMEKO, the two Guineas winners and prefer MOHAATHER and CIRCUS MAXIMUS.

Further down the week, Saturday sees the Group 2 Lillie Langtry over 2800m. Ten have been entered but just two 3-y-o to take on the likes of ENBIHAAR (who will come on from her seasonal bow) and MANUELA DE VEGA who has enjoyed two easy wins round Haydock but this is a lot tougher.

Deauville starts its August Festival this coming weekend and the Rothschild is the feature next Sunday. This is for the fillies and mares over the straight 1600m. The ground is currently Bon (or Good if you prefer).

1 hour ago, stodge said:

Goodwood's Glorious Meeting starts tomorrow with the ground still just on the slow side of Good.

Wednesday's Group 1 Sussex Stakes has just seven runners. The slower ground has meant SISKIN has eased to 9/4 with MOHAATHER at 11/4, KAMEKO at 4s and WICHITA at 5s with CIRCUS MAXIMUS at 11/2. We simply don't know if the 3-y-o, in receipt of 8 lbs, will be up to taking on the older horses. I'm not a big fan of SISKIN or KAMEKO, the two Guineas winners and prefer MOHAATHER and CIRCUS MAXIMUS.

Further down the week, Saturday sees the Group 2 Lillie Langtry over 2800m. Ten have been entered but just two 3-y-o to take on the likes of ENBIHAAR (who will come on from her seasonal bow) and MANUELA DE VEGA who has enjoyed two easy wins round Haydock but this is a lot tougher.

Deauville starts its August Festival this coming weekend and the Rothschild is the feature next Sunday. This is for the fillies and mares over the straight 1600m. The ground is currently Bon (or Good if you prefer).

Willie John has been gelded since last run  , dropped 6 lbs from peak to 100 , might be a nice each way chance at the 25s mark  in Golden Mile later in week. His half brother Prince Eiji has also been gelded . Owner paid huge money for both last couple years . A half sister bolted up on debut for Gosden on Saturday , Bizzi LizzI looks smart . The handicaps at the meeting always a decent puzzle .

I saw it on Sky Sports Racing - not often Oisin finishes up on the deck but they didn't fancy her much - 6s. I thought GRINLING ran very well in second.

When you get two draw well clear of the rest, I tend not to dwell on those behind. As I say, ARRIVISTE is one I am looking forward to seeing. They'll be looking for a 2400m handicap on a galloping track with a stiff finish.

As for WILLIE JOHN, I just wonder if Goodwood will be too sharp - I know they'll go a strong gallop in a big field but his form is at 2000m. MONTATHAM could be thrown in off 104 - he looked very good at Sandown the other day. My idea of one at a bigger price in that race is ROYAL MARINE - he kept very good company as a 3-y-o and wasn't beaten too far in the Meydan handicaps back in the spring.

BIZZI LIZZI is beautifully bred - they'll be anxious to get some black type for her. 

16 minutes ago, stodge said:

I saw it on Sky Sports Racing - not often Oisin finishes up on the deck but they didn't fancy her much - 6s. I thought GRINLING ran very well in second.

When you get two draw well clear of the rest, I tend not to dwell on those behind. As I say, ARRIVISTE is one I am looking forward to seeing. They'll be looking for a 2400m handicap on a galloping track with a stiff finish.

As for WILLIE JOHN, I just wonder if Goodwood will be too sharp - I know they'll go a strong gallop in a big field but his form is at 2000m. MONTATHAM could be thrown in off 104 - he looked very good at Sandown the other day. My idea of one at a bigger price in that race is ROYAL MARINE - he kept very good company as a 3-y-o and wasn't beaten too far in the Meydan handicaps back in the spring.

BIZZI LIZZI is beautifully bred - they'll be anxious to get some black type for her. 

Meon Valley Stud have some great families and some of that is showing out in Australia with Russian Camelot .

I've half a thought Willie John and Prince Eiji might end up in OZ , both gelded last month so only the stake cash to chase now .

Izzi Top worth a search on the Tattersalls website for her produce sales record , also Japan's dam  Shastye , those two mares would have made the company some serious coin on commission. 

Good luck with Goodwood and Galway week Stodge , I look forward to your write ups .

27 minutes ago, stodge said:

Actually on the subject of drawing well clear , Al Salt and Tilsit line up later in week. Be interesting how they stack up in better class after the demo jobs they have done , Al Salt had the early cut and Tilsit looks a green baby , out of Kingmans half sister .

20 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Actually on the subject of drawing well clear , Al Salt and Tilsit line up later in week. Be interesting how they stack up in better class after the demo jobs they have done , Al Salt had the early cut and Tilsit looks a green baby , out of Kingmans half sister .

AL SALT is in a really warm handicap on Thursday. First run on turf over 2000m which should be fine but it's a tough race full of improving 3-y-o. TILSIT stays at 1600m and has been entered for a Group 3 but he'll need to improve to beat KHALOOSY who won the Britannia at Ascot in some style and is rated to be a Group 2 horse.

Back to Thursday and seven have been declared for the Nassau. FANCY BLUE brings some big 3-y-o form to the table having won a bunch finish for the Diane last time but I just have a niggle about the quality of that form. NAZEEF won the Falmouth and this filly has advanced through the grades and she'll do for me if she handles the undulations. The trip is an unknown but she has coped with straight 1600m well enough so this easy turning 2000m should be within her compass. DEIRDRE won this last year and a repeat can't be ruled out 

The one I like is MAGIC WAND who won the Lanwades convincingly and was then fourth in the Eclipse which was mixing it with the very best. Back among her own gender and with Frankie Dettori up, she has a real chance at 6s.

The Group 2 Richmond over 1200m has seven runners and YAZAMAN has twice chased home TACTICAL who is probably the top juvenile at present. It doesn't look a strong renewal.

Finally, just a note Derby favourite ENGLISH KING re-appears in the Gordon Stakes over 2400m en route to the Leger. He was fifth at Epsom but he has to face runner-up KHALIFA SAT and sixth placed MOGUL so this isn't an easy challenge at all.

The first day of the Glorious Goodwood meeting took place on a fine but breezy afternoon with the ground good.

The feature Goodwood Cup over 3200m was a tactical affair and to be honest STRADIVARIUS won in spite of the way the race was run. It probably wasn't Dettori's finest hour in the saddle but the horse got him out of an unpromising position 300m down. NAYEF ROAD ran a fine race in defeat - his jockey controlled it from the start, kept it slow and tried to draw the speed out of STRADIVARIUS and SANTIAGO. It didn't work but it was the only sensible tactic and you can't fault them for not thinking the race through.

SANTIAGO looked to be going well 400m out but didn't for me get home against the older more experienced types. He's still a stayer in the making and this time next year the story may be very different.

The winner presumably heads to York for the Lonsdale before a final run in the Arc and while you'd think he's unlikely to win in Paris he could well run a place - on a line through GHAIYYATH he's not that far behind ENABLE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK03FwXYTaU

On the undercard, BATTLEGROUND followed up his Chesham win with a strong performance in the  Vintage defeating DEVIOUS COMPANY and you'd have to say on that evidence BATTLEGROUND and MASTER OF THE SEAS come out as the top two Guineas prospects for next year at this time. BATTLEGROUND is the first foal of Found out of War Front and it doesn't come much better than that. 

The Lennox saw SPACE BLUES establish himself as the leading 1400m horse in Europe with a commanding performance in a race which often produces a bunch finish. I suppose the Maurice de Gheest over 1300m in which he was third last year as a 3-y-o, is an option as is the Foret, the only Group 1 for older horses in Europe over 1400m. DUKE OF HAZZARD ran a fine race on a course where he often performs but was readily held by the winner.

I'll comment more on the racing at Goodwood as I catch up with it (I have to work for a living unfortunately).

A big blow for the track today with the announcement from Boris Johnson the planned 5,000 crowd for tomorrow's meeting would no longer be supported. Let's be clear - the 5,000 intended were NOT going to be normal paying members of the public but Goodwood Annual Members who, during the 5-day Glorious meeting, have exclusive use of the Richmond Enclosure. In a sense, they have already "paid" through their annual membership fee of £564 in year one and £384 for renewal.

Tomorrow was for Members and their guest but Goodwood MD Adam Waterworth is complaining about the late nature of the cancellation (yes, well) but the course is looking at a six-figure loss based on preparing the enclosures and the picnic hampers ordered by the members. It will now be August 15th at the earliest before crowds can be re-admitted so I think it's looking unlikely there will be spectators at the York Ebor meeting.

Racing goes on however and tomorrow is Stewards Cup day at Goodwood. A really hot day (36c in London this afternoon) has dried the ground to Good to Firm but storms are forecast and from personal experience I know Goodwood is prone to some violent thunderstorms.

The Group 2 Lillie Langtry over 2800m has just four runners. MANUELA DE VEGA has done all her best running on a soft surface and was second in this on fast ground last year thrashed five lengths by ENBIHAAR who loves to hear her feet rattle. She didn't appreciate the soft ground on her seasonal bow and I expect a much better effort tomorrow.

Two traditional American Grade 1 races tomorrow evening at Saratoga - MIDNIGHT BISOU is probably the best filly or mare in North America and she bids to follow up last year's romp in the Personal Ensign. She was a close second to MAXIMUM SECURITY in the Saudi Cup back in January and trotted up in a Grade 2 last time. She should be much too good for these.

The Whitney is the equivalent for the older colts and while it's a small field it's a quality field. Though he's now a 7-y-o, TOM'S D'ETAT is in the form of his life and has won his last four including the Oaklawn Mile (beating IMPROBABLE )and a Grade 2 last time when he easily saw off  BY MY STANDARDS. IMPROBABLE looked very good winning the Hollywood Gold Cup last time and I think he might be the one.

The Deauville August Meeting kicks off tomorrow and the ground in Normandy is just on the slow side. Six stand for Sunday's Rothschild. WATCH ME won the Coronation at Ascot last year and finished fourth in the Marois and third in the Opera so that's solid form at Group 1 level. She returned with a pleasing win in Listed company and will be hard to beat. The Irish filly KNOW IT ALL has won two in Group 3 company so this will be a big step while Godolphin run two, the pick of which looks to be the Charlie Appleby-trained SUMMER ROMANCE. Like KNOW IT ALL, she is a 3-y-o and gets weight from the favourite but she was beaten a long way in the 1000 Guineas.