RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Harness turnovers surprise

A check around the country has seen a lot of cash business, the likes of pubs with gaming machines have had a an exceptional large increase in take. No doubt HRNZ with their pub establishments under their Cardigan Bay Holdings will notice the same. (I hear their Wilsons Bar down in Christchurch is supposedly reopening this coming Wednesday after getting their Class 4 gaming licence problems rectified). It will be interesting to see how long it will last when peoples disposable income comes to an end. As stated maybe it is harness that is reaping the benefit of being first cab off the rank. The thoroughbreds will be hoping there is still disposable income to go around.

6 minutes ago, MAJESTIC said:

A check around the country has seen a lot of cash business, the likes of pubs with gaming machines have had a an exceptional large increase in take. No doubt HRNZ with their pub establishments under their Cardigan Bay Holdings will notice the same. (I hear their Wilsons Bar down in Christchurch is supposedly reopening this coming Wednesday after getting their Class 4 gaming licence problems rectified). It will be interesting to see how long it will last when peoples disposable income comes to an end. As stated maybe it is harness that is reaping the benefit of being first cab off the rank. The thoroughbreds will be hoping there is still disposable income to go around.

Maybe and I say just maybe a little less racing with better quality meetings may be a way forward,when invercargill race against 2 gallop meetings then we will get a better picture of where things are,mind you if 5 or 6 hundred thousand turned over on a normal saturday is viable for all parties concerned well just keep doing it them I say

2 hours ago, Barry Lichter said:

Correct mikenz. There are 26 Saturday day harness meetings in the south but most of them are next year. One in October, two in November, December and January.

Barry,

With  NZ racing betting numbers in decline ,particularly in North , I am surprised Harness doesn't push to tweak or experiment with race dates and times.

Friday night is seen as the best time for Harness but it seems pointless for the two premier tracks Addington and ATC to clash together so often.

Figures would have to be analysed but I suspect Saturday is the next best followed by Sunday and Thursday night.

Should they look at tweaking these.....could Harness do better at ATC by starting earlier on a Friday.......few go oncourse anyway and Waikato stables would have a faster trip [maybe] and get home earlier.

Then what about some Saturdays [.not v Ellerslie] or Sunday [twilights] ? 

Or Thursday twilights ?

Obviously the TAB has big say in all this and Gallops has their best interests to consider also but maybe the previous calendar/times the most prudent ?

Maybe more flexibility could help both tote and attendance when ATC trots clash with big Cricket etc

More horses in north obviously top of the wishlist !

On 6/8/2020 at 7:51 PM, tasman man 11 said:

Barry,

With  NZ racing betting numbers in decline ,particularly in North , I am surprised Harness doesn't push to tweak or experiment with race dates and times.

Friday night is seen as the best time for Harness but it seems pointless for the two premier tracks Addington and ATC to clash together so often.

Figures would have to be analysed but I suspect Saturday is the next best followed by Sunday and Thursday night.

Tasman Man

I've been on about this for multiple posts but you never seemed to offer any support

Now you post as though it's a revelation to you

Mikie

Not putting up supporting TAB form comments for the Cambridge field tonight won't help turnover and looks a real insult to those in the industry up North. It mightn't influence big punter but does inform and add interest for others. Shame on whoever is responsable for this very obvious north/south divide! 

58 minutes ago, Nelli said:

Not putting up supporting TAB form comments for the Cambridge field tonight won't help turnover and looks a real insult to those in the industry up North. It mightn't influence big punter but does inform and add interest for others. Shame on whoever is responsable for this very obvious north/south divide! 

Probably  the south they hate us northerners???

1 hour ago, Nelli said:

Got The Tips up there Nelli, what more do you need ☺️

34 minutes ago, mikenz said:

I wish there was somewhere we could get all the betting figures ,not just the meetings coming up,would be nice to see the tab turnover for last year or two and even display betting on overseas meetings

Right you are.

That type of information use to be readily available 20 or so years ago when they showed constant growth.  Once things turn sour the info tends to dry up.

2 hours ago, lamour said:

Right you are.

That type of information use to be readily available 20 or so years ago when they showed constant growth.  Once things turn sour the info tends to dry up.

A bit like Brazil not wanting to display their covid figures,trying to keep things hushed.

5 hours ago, mikenz said:

Well it let's one see what the figures for clubs like forbury as a example and display what the changes are through poor dates and poor cards,Avondale andForbury are two victims of very poor scheduling

Forbury was an owners problem, I had a horse who had a bit of speed but could not win in canterbury so off we go south, run second. The trainer then said that we should race her down their where she fits. Then we get the monthly account and we made bugger all for our second after expenses. Dunedin has its place and I like it there but the horse needs to live there

5 hours ago, mikenz said:

Well it let's one see what the figures for clubs like forbury as a example and display what the changes are through poor dates and poor cards,Avondale andForbury are two victims of very poor scheduling

Apparently Forbury off course figures very good with a huge percentage coming in from across the ditch , which ,when Invercargill goes to Thursdays won't happen ,as most of 

the punters will be at work . Also about the TAB figures in paper . At work  used to run a sweep on last 2 numbers on tote figure in Mondays paper. .Be buggered now.

Was worth a few bob too

The big winner when all this racing goes to ascot park will be the racing club with all the rental,a lot will be siphoned off harness racing to galloping,a lot will also be lost from gore club at this point,hopefully common sense rules in the end.

57 minutes ago, One more lap said:

Forbury was an owners problem, I had a horse who had a bit of speed but could not win in canterbury so off we go south, run second. The trainer then said that we should race her down their where she fits. Then we get the monthly account and we made bugger all for our second after expenses. Dunedin has its place and I like it there but the horse needs to live there

It's probably fair to say most don't cover expenses,the new season may be a difficult one for all concerned.

12 hours ago, One more lap said:

Geez - I never made bugger all off any of my horses after expenses no matter where they raced!