RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

The numbers don't lie - where the TAB went wrong

On 6/7/2020 at 12:02 PM, Leggy said:

Lachie, they are not required to produce a half-year report at least not statutorily. However, the Minister's letter of expectations to Dean says:

"Reporting

RITA is to provide written financial and non-financial reports to the Minister for Racing and the Department not later than 4 weeks following the end of each quarter. I may alter this frequency depending on RITA's performance and risks. The Department will specify the requirements for these reports. In addition, there is a "no surprises" expectation, under which RITA is required to inform my office and the Department of any material matter that arises and respond promptly to information requests received from the Department or my office.

I have made an OIA request for those 2nd and 3rd quarter reports. The DIA say they do not hold them (no idea why when they are supposed to specify the requirements for them and to receive them). They referred the request to RITA who acknowledged it and said they would respond within the required 20 working days. You would think if the reports are done as required they could send them by return. Nothing yet. The first quarter report was published on their website.

It looks like the RITA are still collating the necessary data for their January and April second and third quarter reports.

Sent: Friday, 26 June 2020 4:34 PM

Subject: Official Information Act Request - Racing Industry Transition Agency

It is necessary for the Racing Industry Transition Agency (RITA) to extend the time available to it in order to respond to your Official Information Act 1982 (OIA) request for information dated 29 May 2020.  

In accordance with section 15A of the OIA, RITA will require an extension of 10 working days, and will respond no later than Friday 10 July 2020. RITA is satisfied that this extension is for a reasonable period of time, having regard to the circumstances. In the event that information is collated and necessary consultations completed before Friday 10 July 2020, RITA will ensure this information is immediately released to you. 

RITA notes that, under section 28(3) of the OIA, you have the right to make a complaint to the Ombudsman about the above date extension. Further information about this is available at http://www.ombudsman.parliament.nz/.

Please do advise us if you have any further questions in relation to your request. 

Yours sincerely,

Cameron

Cameron Rodger
Senior Legal Counsel
Racing Industry Transition Agency

e    cameron.rodger@nzrb.co.nz
w   www.rita.org.nz  www.tab.co.nz  

106-110 Jackson Street, Petone 5012, PO Box 38899, Wellington Mail Centre, Lower Hutt 5045

Cameron Rodger's response was despicable.

He cannot comprehend that the racing industry in our country is made up of a huge number of unpaid volunteers and to treat them like used toilet tissue is totally unacceptable.

Our industry has no future if people of Cameron Rodger's ilk are running it.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:36 AM, Jape said:

I am not at all sure where you get the "downhill in the early 90s" and "outsiders with no interest in racing or even betting" from.

Check the Annual Report for 2003. Dedicated racing people with a passion for the industry. Record turnover. NZ still supplying great horses to take on, and beat the Aussies e.g. Ethereal and Sunline.

Sadly, it was the dissolution of the RIB and the TAB and the formation of the RB that led to the features to which you refer.

Exactly

Mikie

On 6/12/2020 at 4:45 PM, CosmicBlackie said:

They’ve got the mechanism...Pick6.

Before everyone gets up in arms, how about not just on a horse race, but sporting events as well included in the mix, try to draw the general public in. It could be as specific as how many sixes hit in a cricket match, what time or how many lengths a horse wins by, that sort of thing , to take lotto on. You could always just take a lucky dip 😎. Get the general public by in, make it something they do weekly, just like lotto. Imagine the excitement of all those going live into the last event. Did I mention the 32 odd % takeout rate?

My 10c worth.

Hi CosmicBlackie

This has been tried before, maybe not to the same level you are suggesting

I vividly remember sitting in the Pub in Palmerston North on the Friday between race days up there (may have even been a Saturday back then), and cheering Canterbury to score a try in the last minute to beat Auckland by 13+ which we had anchored on our Tickets

Another leg was a $20 or $30 shot, Frosty Mota from memory, trained by Steve Cornwell and driven by Greg Cowie in a good Mares race at Alexandra Park

We (being me and the champion blokes from down South, the Geddes family) plus Ralph Kermode (where our horses were stabled) got the Pick 6 about 3.5 times

Back in those days cash was paid out in the main, with a cheque if they didn't have enough cash

It's a long time ago but I'm sure Jim and James Geddes will remember it

Mikie

On 6/26/2020 at 5:51 PM, Tauhei Notts said:

Cameron Rodger's response was despicable.

He cannot comprehend that the racing industry in our country is made up of a huge number of unpaid volunteers and to treat them like used toilet tissue is totally unacceptable.

Our industry has no future if people of Cameron Rodger's ilk are running it.

Here's part of what I got. These are the 3rd quarter financials.

image.png.afb23124ceac1d51a9c1be5d97260266.png

image.thumb.png.89768b1d572825282eadf56bf03ebd20.png

On 6/26/2020 at 6:35 PM, Mikie said:

Hi CosmicBlackie

This has been tried before, maybe not to the same level you are suggesting

I vividly remember sitting in the Pub in Palmerston North on the Friday between race days up there (may have even been a Saturday back then), and cheering Canterbury to score a try in the last minute to beat Auckland by 13+ which we had anchored on our Tickets

Another leg was a $20 or $30 shot, Frosty Mota from memory, trained by Steve Cornwell and driven by Greg Cowie in a good Mares race at Alexandra Park

We (being me and the champion blokes from down South, the Geddes family) plus Ralph Kermode (where our horses were stabled) got the Pick 6 about 3.5 times

Mikie

It wasn’t Auckland, it was the Hurricanes and on Rowe Cup night. I can still remember the ad in the paper  saying - Hurricanes in Napier, Driving Reigns in Auckland.

Merinai won the Rowe Cup, Jack Smolenski took the Messenger, being in the CD you might have anchored a handy type in C1 or C2 called Yulestar.  Frank Cooney took the final leg.