RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

The numbers don't lie - where the TAB went wrong

Hi Stables, Try Stuart  Ashton  or Lachlan Ashton  or Stuart Lachlan Ashton which is my full name or maybe they spelled it Locky or something. Ashton should be the same anyway.  I have always been known by my middle name but on an official basis they most likely used my full name or first name. I just can't remember.

By my simple calculation, the drop of 4.4% in Turnover/Dividends equals a loss of $127,000,000. That sum should fix the current financial problems but one must ask; Did nobody notice the declining returns?

Supplementary questions; Why not? If somebody did, what action was taken?

Listen Lachie, I get that it's election year, and I get that you need to drum up votes, and I get that a christian should be able to race horses, but you should have got yourself armed to the teeth with racing policy months ago instead of grasping for a small piece of air time just prior to the booths opening.

The problem with this industry is that it's not making enough money. You either invent new things to make money, or you chop out the bits that don't work that cost you money. Chopping out bits is obvious in this case as it has been a shambles for a long time. What I want to know is WHAT you would do to build more profit? I don't want a wish washy response. I want something direct that pushes the money envelope in the industry's direction.

What do you think that is?

4 hours ago, Lachie Ashton said:

Thanks. I presume it also shows the when I was first registered as a stableman and held my matinee licence as well. I will have to have a look. 

Am I correct you mr Ashton used to live in portabello,if that is the case you would see the state of affairs that have forbury park  going from what it was racing wise to what it is now,just like all the going on in racing that's just one small example of how everything's gone downward.

8 hours ago, Berri said:

Listen Lachie, I get that it's election year, and I get that you need to drum up votes, and I get that a christian should be able to race horses, but you should have got yourself armed to the teeth with racing policy months ago instead of grasping for a small piece of air time just prior to the booths opening.

The problem with this industry is that it's not making enough money. You either invent new things to make money, or you chop out the bits that don't work that cost you money. Chopping out bits is obvious in this case as it has been a shambles for a long time. What I want to know is WHAT you would do to build more profit? I don't want a wish washy response. I want something direct that pushes the money envelope in the industry's direction.

Hi Berri

This is a fair call. In politics you don't get everything you want and I have only been given the role of Racing Spokesman very recently and I'm on the case making the best of the time I have  outside a busy day time job and other commitments. If you look at my first media release  attached to my second post on the first page of this forum you will see that there is nothing wishy washy about that statement and there are some pretty clear messages on what we would do right now. We will get out a racing policy but right now the industry is a moving target and we are better to focus on what is happening right now which is crucial to where the industry goes next. Incidentally, what I am saying isn't just my thoughts but those of many people in the industry I have talked to and want the industry leaders to listen to them and do the right thing which I believe is my job to do. After we get past the submissions on June 15th and get a better idea of where we are all heading  we will make policy on what is relevant going forward. I will however, bring out another media release tomorrow or for some the day after and post it right here in this forum.

9 hours ago, Berri said:

Hi MikeNZ

I have lived in Dunedin when we came back from Australia in 2007 but have never lived in Portabello. The Ashton you are thinking of did have a couple of good horses around that time. I have some good memories of Forbury Park though driving Country Hanover to a 3rd on the Wednesday and 1st on the Saturday during one of their festival meetings.

Hi Berri

This is a fair call. In politics you don't get everything you want and I have only been given the role of Racing Spokesman very recently and I'm on the case making the best of the time I have  outside a busy day time job and other commitments. If you look at my first media release  attached to my second post on the first page of this forum you will see that there is nothing wishy washy about that statement and there are some pretty clear messages on what we would do right now. We will get out a racing policy but right now the industry is a moving target and we are better to focus on what is happening right now which is crucial to where the industry goes next. Incidentally, what I am saying isn't just my thoughts but those of many people in the industry I have talked to and want the industry leaders to listen to them and do the right thing which I believe is my job to do. After we get past the submissions on June 15th and get a better idea of where we are all heading  we will make policy on what is relevant going forward. I will however, bring out another media release tomorrow or for some the day after and post it right here in this forum.

7 minutes ago, Lachie Ashton said:

Hi MikeNZ

I have lived in Dunedin when we came back from Australia in 2007 but have never lived in Portabello. The Ashton you are thinking of did have a couple of good horses around that time. I have some good memories of Forbury Park though driving Country Hanover to a 3rd on the Wednesday and 1st on the Saturday during one of their festival meetings.

Was the horse named zoom top,that the other ashton had,is it a relation,its not the most common name.

12 minutes ago, Lachie Ashton said:

Hi MikeNZ

Festival meetings,what changed from those times?

51 minutes ago, Lachie Ashton said:

No, he is a different trainer and one of his good horses was Rocky Tyrax. He is not a relation as far as I am aware of. The other Ashton's  good horse was a trotter.

Maybe you thinking of Dunedin trainer Steve Ashton who has trained for years from memory.

He had a handy trotter called Sunnivue Ted among others.

8 hours ago, Lachie Ashton said:

Yes that sounds about right. I wasn't involved in the industry at that time and have only met him once from memory. I think he might have won the NZ Trotting Cup with that horse but could be wrong.

Lachie,

Rocky Tryax was a Cup class pacer in 70's who ran second in NZ Cup to Lord Module....1979.

History is well and good but the big issue is here and now.

Pity you weren't in one of the 'big ' parties that folk notice in NZ politics ,with a say in how things run.

Maybe involvement in the administration of NZ Racing could be a start point.

Move fast as things going downhill fast !