RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

The numbers don't lie - where the TAB went wrong

Brilliant.

Needs to cover the sports betting  impact as the growth of cash invested by sports bettors does not give stable returns and needs events to be settled in favour of the TAB to even break even.

Excellent article. People in the industry need to take note of this and do something about it before it is all too late.  I would also like to respond to members who were asking about my background as New Conservative's spokesperson for racing. My background includes working as a stableman for 18 months for Henry Skinner in Southland. Obtaining my own private trainer's and open horseman's licence and training a couple of horses before or after work. Serving on the committee of the Roxburgh Trotting Club as well as being an active member of the Central Otago Owners, Trainers and Breeders Assn.  I have also owned two thoroughbred broodmares. I know nothing about greyhound racing but am willing to listen and learn.

So the guts of it Lachie is to put the Racing Board/RITA under Administration presumably reporting to the Justice Department. 

No Minister of Racing involved. 

Your comments on the RIU are interesting as is the comment that the game is widespread crook 

Interesting

I think government and industry appointed commissioners with the ability and experience to sort this mess out would be better. They need to be people that can connect and listen to the grassroots as well.  Sounds like people like Peter Johnstone in Barry Lichter's link above would be a good person to listen and talk to for starters.  It is hard to see how the industry is going to recover without government help in the sort term so I wouldn't let the government off the hook especially when this train wreck has been driven by government appoint officials, bureaucrats and Ministers of Racing that have mostly been missing in action. Winstone might have got a hospital pass on this one from Nathan Guy but he has totally dropped the ball and should stand down as he created RITA and it has gone from bad to worse under his watch. I feel really sorry for the people that have lost their jobs in the TAB and suspect that the ones that should have gone are still there. 

I think the commissioners appointed to manage RITA should also take over the management of the RIU and there should be an immediate review of their practices, procedures and performance. I think there should also be a commission of inquiry into RITA /NZRB and the RIU. I think we should all be pretty concerned about why RITA haven't produce their half-yearly report as well.

2 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

I invite anyone to name one single thing the RIU has done to make this industry better, stronger, or more reputable 

There’s nothing I know of......and given how often I deal with them I’m in a privileged position to comment 

Well they have been very good when it comes to paying some of its employees at the top extremely good wage packets

3 hours ago, Lachie Ashton said:

I think the commissioners appointed to manage RITA should also take over the management of the RIU and there should be an immediate review of their practices, procedures and performance. I think there should also be a commission of inquiry into RITA /NZRB and the RIU. I think we should all be pretty concerned about why RITA haven't produce their half-yearly report as well.

Lachie, they are not required to produce a half-year report at least not statutorily. However, the Minister's letter of expectations to Dean says:

"Reporting

RITA is to provide written financial and non-financial reports to the Minister for Racing and the Department not later than 4 weeks following the end of each quarter. I may alter this frequency depending on RITA's performance and risks. The Department will specify the requirements for these reports. In addition, there is a "no surprises" expectation, under which RITA is required to inform my office and the Department of any material matter that arises and respond promptly to information requests received from the Department or my office.

I have made an OIA request for those 2nd and 3rd quarter reports. The DIA say they do not hold them (no idea why when they are supposed to specify the requirements for them and to receive them). They referred the request to RITA who acknowledged it and said they would respond within the required 20 working days. You would think if the reports are done as required they could send them by return. Nothing yet. The first quarter report was published on their website.

24 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Well they have been very good when it comes to paying some of its employees at the top extremely good wage packets

Hi MikeNZ,  I would appreciate talking to you about this if you are  happy to do so.  

Are you in agreement or not with that comment it is generally accepted that some people there have been getting well payed but not really performed so well, be careful putting numbers on here you may well get overrun by texters and ,callers

Hi, MikeNZ

I certainly do and I am talking about those at the top starting with John Allen who has left as stated in my media statement above. I feel sorry for those that were doing a good job in the TAB that have now lost their jobs. As previously stated I suspect that  some of those that are still there possibly are not. Thanks for the tip. 

Just before I go for now some of the decisions made by the racing individual codes have also been at fault a little,some of the scheduling of race dates has also led to the situation where they have had poor dates,poor returns and now have been kicked into touch

30 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Look at davey mac,gee that was poor,after 40 years gee could have let him go out on his terms,there must have been a heap if others moved on perhaps not in the public view as such but no less significant.

I might be wrong (I usually am) but Davey could well have been on contract, not salary

20 minutes ago, Lachie Ashton said:

Yes I agree. Some clubs lost race days, not by choice, that were on very popular holidays that had a big impact on their success.

I know it's the other code, but Hawera raced at Easter for must have been close to or even more than 100 years.    Result - piss off guys!!    The old thanks but no thanks.     

1 hour ago, eljay said:

I might be wrong (I usually am) but Davey could well have been on contract, not salary

Think he was but was still employed for a job, so was coppinsI'm not a great fan of Evan's, but his time has come it seems.

15 minutes ago, Stables said:

This is a racing forum not a political campaign forum. The Conservative party has a so called Christian base, I'm surprised they have a spokesperson for or even an interest in racing

Hi Stables,  We are not a Christian party but it is true that we have a lot of support from Christians as our policies and values align a lot with Christian values and we do have  candidates that are Christians. Do you think it is wrong if people involved in racing are Christians? Like it or not the discussion in this  forum is very relevant  and is very political as there is considerable government and bureaucratic involvement in racing at the moment that will have a significant impact on New Zealand racing with submissions due on the 15th June. 

Exactly your policies align with Christian values. I can't recall many Christian leaders calling for people to go along and have a bet at the local TAB. When did you last hold a licence as I'm finding it difficult to find you in the list of licence holders at HRNZ