RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Now it's Greg who's gone: When will the bleeding stop?

Nice promotional piece, if a little over the top......:rolleyes: 

Addington marketing has never been very good, they used to watch everything we did in Auckland.

The Jade role didn’t last long, too much pressure so no doubt a return to Addington will suit him well...the bar is set pretty low there.

“New Zealand racing’s greatest presenter..” ?!

O’Connor has years of experience in marketing and promotion, spending the best part of the 1990s at Addington, before a three year stint at Harness Racing New Zealand and time at Jade Stadium as its commercial and marketing manager.

11 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I might have been a bit harsh. Trying to be more positive about things, Canterbury may have lost Greg but they have gained a $16m all weather track and the CJC has a $6m loan which shows their confidence going forward.

more positivity is such a good idea...mebbe next on your list is anew moniker eg No More Doom   LOL

34 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Did you ever think that without massive cost cuts  racing would not have survived at all.

After all the previous NZRB business plan,management  and board's took them to insolvency.

Sorry to introduce some logic to this discussion 

Greg

Totally correct Greg.  Where people seem to have issue is the following:

There were no cuts done till Covid 19.  RITA was needing a bail out regardless of Covid19.  In fact considering RITA had to pay no stakes I would have a guess that RITA's cashflow held up not to bad during April.

The job cuts are at the lower end of the spectrum and at the promotional end of racing.  I know you said they are reviewing top end, but RITA has been apparently reviewing this for best part of a year.  John Allen (I wish him luck) but should have finished his job the day after RITA started.

Racing will not survive if you do not grow revenue.  FACT.  I also think RITA have a massive obligation to our domestic product.

I think the problem of the domestic market is trying to compare with some of the main aussie gallops,that where the main interest is these days,if stakes drop the standard drops the interest drops simple as,no easy fixes for nz racing

9 minutes ago, mikenz said:

I think the problem of the domestic market is trying to compare with some of the main aussie gallops,that where the main interest is these days,if stakes drop the standard drops the interest drops simple as,no easy fixes for nz racing

Most people cant afford to Gamble anymore Mikey, with all the other issues outlined i cant see its survival here . Some great Memories :rcf-sad-2:

Even though I prefer the trots the same old same old racing week in week out does start to dent your interest after a while  but gee is there any  real benefits to nz racing or the tab with wall to wall racing from obscure places we've never heard of,no one really bets on  them anyway.

Racing needs a good radio station to keep interest,not a good website radio setup it needs to be easy reached for convenience,, racing is good on radio,just like test cricket ,I cant be bothered with smartphone all the time,many times it's not reliable anyway,once upon a time when sky started and live coverage started you thought that radio would become irrelevant but it still has its place always will.

1 hour ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Totally correct Greg.  Where people seem to have issue is the following:

There were no cuts done till Covid 19.  RITA was needing a bail out regardless of Covid19.  In fact considering RITA had to pay no stakes I would have a guess that RITA's cashflow held up not to bad during April.

The job cuts are at the lower end of the spectrum and at the promotional end of racing.  I know you said they are reviewing top end, but RITA has been apparently reviewing this for best part of a year.  John Allen (I wish him luck) but should have finished his job the day after RITA started.

Racing will not survive if you do not grow revenue.  FACT.  I also think RITA have a massive obligation to our domestic product.

RITA was needing a bail out regardless of Covid19.  In fact considering RITA had to pay no stakes I would have a guess that RITA's cashflow held up not to bad during April.

So...where are the figures of Income/Expenditure since RITA took over running the show? Surely the Half-Yearly Report covering Aug 2019 -Jan 2020 (pre-Covid) would shine some light on this, but there is no sign of this Report, already two months overdue

9 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Surely my moniker was rather prescient Weasel?

totally agree mate ..i was just encouraging you to keep looking on the brighter side of this crisis ...

eg over the last two months I' haven't had to listen to the constant repetitious drone of Peter 'Ah..There' Earley ...now I'll be spared the nasal twang and lazy diction of Greg O'Connor.

Small comforts, really. Maybe someone is clever enough to crank up a privately-owned Racing Radio Channel in our brave new world 

2 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

There were no cuts done till Covid 19

Incorrect,overpaid CEO and CFO both gone for a start and top team took 20% pay cut. Cost reductions of 5% in train based on November RITA budget. Major restructuring work underway including consultation with staff and stakeholders plus trying to get new Racing bill introduced. Most government organizations could not have achieved that in 3 years let alone 7 months.

I would have a guess that RITA's cashflow held up not to bad during April.

Would they not have has to pay fixed costs such as staff,rents and normal operational business costs whilst having little if any racing or sports revenue

I know you said they are reviewing top end,

Im supposing they are as you always start at the bottom when it comes to restructuring and work your way up. therefore next in line will be at the top end IF im correct in my asssumption.

PS , i do not work for either RITA or its predescessor

Greg

24 minutes ago, weasel57 said:

totally agree mate ..i was just encouraging you to keep looking on the brighter side of this crisis ...

eg over the last two months I' haven't had to listen to the constant repetitious drone of Peter 'Ah..There' Earley ...now I'll be spared the nasal twang and lazy diction of Greg O'Connor.

Small comforts, really. Maybe someone is clever enough to crank up a privately-owned Racing Radio Channel in our brave new world 

Give Noel Edmonds a bell Weasel....we could do with some positivity.....:rolleyes:

https://positivity.radio

7 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Did you ever think that without massive cost cuts  racing would not have survived at all.

After all the previous NZRB business plan,management  and board's took them to insolvency.

Greg

What logic?

It has been pointed out to you numerous times that RITA had 10 months at least, 18 months even, to make changes and they did nothing (except John Allen resigned)

Why start at the bottom (now) and work up? Why not start at the top and work down?

On 6/4/2020 at 9:38 AM, JJ Flash said:

Greg

Racing won't survive by doing all of this cost cutting either.  Punting drives racing, so sort that and racing will come back.  We don't need bookmakers.  Cut the majority of exotic bets and get back to basic bet types.  I don't know how but lets get a trans tasman pool going.  The HK system works pretty well!!  

1 hour ago, Tropical said:

Racing won't survive by doing all of this cost cutting either.  Punting drives racing, so sort that and racing will come back.  We don't need bookmakers.  Cut the majority of exotic bets and get back to basic bet types.  I don't know how but lets get a trans tasman pool going.  The HK system works pretty well!!  

I disagree.  

Racing will survive  and the proof is the numbers.  Initial drops an aberration from the .likes of you and  others . Get over it and join the new world .

Greg 

5 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

I disagree.  

Racing will survive  and the proof is the numbers.  Initial drops an aberration from the .likes of you and  others . Get over it and join the new world .

Greg 

There are some things that ain't gunna make things easy for racing.Trackside radio not on now is a big downer but the simple fact is with lots of ppl under the pump money wise these are tough times.

55 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

I disagree.  

Greg 

Hi Greg

Racing might survive but it will be more South Africa racing type survival.....our races downgraded, our stud book’s deteriorated. 

They are killing the romance of a bet. 

It’s interesting to read about the demise of the radio/TV coverage of Racing in NZ. I was in my car in Qld this morning enjoying the Radio- 4TAB Station interviewing Rob Heathcote and Jim Byrne (Rothfire - JJ Atkins G1 win), plus Byrne’s Vega One ride in the Straddie, Robbie Fradd and co (Tyzone - G1 Stradbroke win) and all the emotion in the lead-up and aftermath of yesterday’s races. Great stuff and highlighted what an important part of racing promotion the Media is. I hope racing folk in NZ don’t let this important part of racing fade away  forever - in NZ. 

19 hours ago, mikenz said:

There are some things that ain't gunna make things easy for racing.Trackside radio not on now is a big downer but the simple fact is with lots of ppl under the pump money wise these are tough times.

I don't know how they are going to drive the punter to bet if they don't have any coverage at all.  No print media, no on course presenting, I don't see this working at all.  Diminished interest from the punters point of view unless you head off shore, which lets face it is most appealing considering the pools, coverage etc...