RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

No one is listening

I'm not really a stirrer....I might talk absolute rubbish...I might be too verbose....I might be very opinionated without due cause....and not everything I say is correct...but...

If you were the CEO or a chairman or a board member, and the industry you were in was crumbling at its knees, and you received a summary of a business proposition that was concise and validated, upon receiving that proposition, would you:

1. Respond to the promoter saying thanks for the proposition but you can't look at it in the current circumstance; or

2. Respond to promoter asking a bulk of further questions; or

3. Do nothing?

We are afforded a few opportunities to get things right, as we face a ten gun salute with live bullets instead of blanks. Using a conventional model of horse racing, I can't see it. The FOB platform was made for sports betting. The deal has been discussed at length behind closed doors where sports was to receive 23% of Net Betting Revenue (NBR). NBR is the amount bet less the amount paid out in prizes plus the betting duty. But NBR doesn't include costs!! So if you have a poorly managed tote and business, with bad FOB technology and bet settings that don't make the prices competitive, you have a continuing disaster no matter what. And that's not counting the effect of what promoting sports betting above racing is going to do because sports betting is the political norm where racing is deemed undesirable.

Back to the topic....no-one is listening. That is an undisputed fact... ,because if they were then 3 wouldn't be on the list...not even a thank you...received... response. That means that either we've got the rudest most unprofessional mob running racing, or we have a meltdown on our hands.

37 minutes ago, Berri said:

I'm not really a stirrer....I might talk absolute rubbish...I might be too verbose....I might be very opinionated without due cause....and not everything I say is correct...but...

If you were the CEO or a chairman or a board member, and the industry you were in was crumbling at its knees, and you received a summary of a business proposition that was concise and validated, upon receiving that proposition, would you:

1. Respond to the promoter saying thanks for the proposition but you can't look at it in the current circumstance; or

3. Do nothing?

We are afforded a few opportunities to get things right, as we face a ten gun salute with live bullets instead of blanks. Using a conventional model of horse racing, I can't see it. The FOB platform was made for sports betting. The deal has been discussed at length behind closed doors where sports was to receive 23% of Net Betting Revenue (NBR). NBR is the amount bet less the amount paid out in prizes plus the betting duty. But NBR doesn't include costs!! So if you have a poorly managed tote and business, with bad FOB technology and bet settings that don't make the prices competitive, you have a continuing disaster no matter what. And that's not counting the effect of what promoting sports betting above racing is going to do because sports betting is the political norm where racing is deemed undesirable.

Back to the topic....no-one is listening. That is an undisputed fact... ,because if they were then 3 wouldn't be on the list...not even a thank you...received... response. That means that either we've got the rudest most unprofessional mob running racing, or we have a meltdown on our hands.

The meltdown is nuclear and started long ago.

A bit of a miserable rainy day here today...I'm not going far.....so here goes

We're allowed to talk rubbish, be verbose, opiniated and yes , we're not always correct - but we are generally round the mark

Are we in meltdown......quite possibly

Are they rude and unprofessional - probably not...they've just dug themselves into this tricky situation.....and "they believe" they are working furiously  to navigate a positive future

Do they respond to a concise and validated Business Proposition - absolutely not...that's the last thing they do......people who do this, especially staff, are cut loose - they are regarded as DANGEROUS

Two examples of this are earlier Guerin reportedly offering his services for free and Coppins offering to assist with profitability of Media...…..say again.....these people are viewed ...as dangerous

We are in for a quiet time prior to Bill being introduced to Parliament

Clearly "Selleys Storm Sealant" has been applied to RITA and to Barry Lichter's source - but we are very grateful for his illumination

McKenzie's reported departure will presumably pushed out to when the Bill is introduced

Henry, also departing at the same time, will probably be appointed Acting CEO, till they find someone new ( who on earth would want the job)

Having said that the new CEO will have had all of the dirty work done for them …….and their sole focus should be driving revenue and profit without the distraction of staff cuts

So then there will be some form of reincarnation / reinvention of media / form guides etc...….because one thing is for sure...…..betting is stifled / reduced / suppressed.... by lack of information

The problem is right through racing. with you, me us.

Basically people who follow racing or actively work in it restrict themselves to their own group. This was oh so true at the races when people would be corralled into groups and restricted from accessing other groups. It happens here on Racecafe when one group assumes some rights and believes others somehow not worthy.

There are some who cut across this tradition and are successful. Good example being Graeme Rogerson when he made syndication acceptable.

And so we have the Wellington group who believe they hold the key to racing's future. Just like the other groups they get stuck in their bubble ignoring everything else after all just they have the answers. Well don't they?

2 hours ago, Berri said:

3. Do nothing?

Or it might be that they dont rate you or your theories due to all of the above in your opening sentence:rcfe-dislike:

Greg

4 hours ago, Berri said:

3. Do nothing?

I seem to recall you mentioning before that you have some gambling product or such like that will save the industry, but I can't recall what it is like. Are you able to give a us a fairly concise indication what your scheme is?

4 hours ago, Berri said:

3. Do nothing?

That means that either we've got the rudest most unprofessional mob running racing, or we have a meltdown on our hands.

OR BOTH

2 hours ago, weasel57 said:

NO Greg

A professional outfit would have take the time to acknowledge receipt of the proposal from a genuine stakeholder

Do you know for sure they did not Weasal. Lets face it Berri san has lots of previous and even he admits his numerous faults

Greg

48 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

JJ you clearly work for RITA and continue to defend the indefensible. 

An acknowledgement would have been common commercial reality, but I guess with RITA their rule book and MO is different hence the shtye they are in

Whilst I don't agree with much they are doing, I can see the point here. If they acknowledge this they then open lines of communication, I'd rather they just got on with saving the industry with the limited ability they have.

Berri professes to know all the bigwigs , book in 10 mins with them if you're that keen to express your ideas,best of luck!

57 minutes ago, Huey said:

Whilst I don't agree with much they are doing, I can see the point here. If they acknowledge this they then open lines of communication, I'd rather they just got on with saving the industry with the limited ability they have.

Berri professes to know all the bigwigs , book in 10 mins with them if you're that keen to express your ideas,best of luck!

There is a point here. Berri said he discusses things with Vela. Surely Vela could have a word as he is on the Board. 

2 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

A lot of comments about some esoteric scheme that supposedly no one knows anything about. I would love to know what Berri is proposing. Obviously the powers that be don't rate it highly.

How do you rate the powers that be ?

Greg....you might be right but don't put the boot in quite yet. You may be part of RITA and I won't hold that against you unless you think that Saville, Hendry or Kydd have done a good job. All of them should fall on their swords and go...

Yes I have made sure that the bureaucrats know what I am proposing because to not do so would seem to be inappropriate....

Yes I have talked with Dean, Sir Peter and Bernard because that is the appropriate thing to do...

Not sure who the bigwigs are, but if you mean the main protagonists in charge of racing, then yes I know and have talked to them as that is also appropriate...

As for my intentions in respect of the racing industry, I plan to make this public once the formal documentation has been completed. It is currently in the hands of far more experienced people on the matter than I am. This part of the process should take 2-3 weeks. Everyone will  get an opportunity to be involved if they wish to...

What I don't understand is unprofessional behavior at a time when unity should prevail. We are facing a catastrophe of the highest proportions and to not do the small things right at this stage is unforgivable.

I will give you an example of an impending catastrophe. Set aside that the three aforementioned protagonists (Saville, Hendry or Kydd) have dropped the ball for years. The effect of the finances of racing have deteriorated to such an extent that three of the better trainers in NZ are probably relocating to Australia. With them go the better horses. Simultaneously the two biggest racing stables are going to relocate their good horses to Australia. These are their best horses. In 12 months time, the remaining group and listed races in New Zealand will have horses race in them that are not as talented as those that have been exported and at the end of next season the international pattern committee will put those races on notice for downgrades in status. Those that were put on notice this year will be notified and reviewed for down grades. Two years from now we will have a status change on 25% of the black type races currently held in NZ. This will be the start of a consistent and niggling deterioration of NZ racing standards which will flatten the breeding industry's status.

A group 2 race in Germany yesterday was worth 17,500 euros. Many of their races are 3200 euros. Italy doesn't have any group 1 races anymore. Statistically both those countries had the current profile of today's NZ racing and breeding industry.

So Greg and whoever else want to be named, the ball has been dropped, we are in a catatonic state, the horse has bolted and everyone has to get used to the frame of mind that no one at the top table understands the process anymore. It would be very polite though, to simply say thanks for the email. We're quite busy at the moment and will get back to you when we can.

13 hours ago, Berri said:

Greg....you might be right but don't put the boot in quite yet. You may be part of RITA and I won't hold that against you unless you think that Saville, Hendry or Kydd have done a good job. All of them should fall on their swords and go...

Yes I have made sure that the bureaucrats know what I am proposing because to not do so would seem to be inappropriate....

Yes I have talked with Dean, Sir Peter and Bernard because that is the appropriate thing to do...

Not sure who the bigwigs are, but if you mean the main protagonists in charge of racing, then yes I know and have talked to them as that is also appropriate...

As for my intentions in respect of the racing industry, I plan to make this public once the formal documentation has been completed. It is currently in the hands of far more experienced people on the matter than I am. This part of the process should take 2-3 weeks. Everyone will  get an opportunity to be involved if they wish to...

What I don't understand is unprofessional behavior at a time when unity should prevail. We are facing a catastrophe of the highest proportions and to not do the small things right at this stage is unforgivable.

I will give you an example of an impending catastrophe. Set aside that the three aforementioned protagonists (Saville, Hendry or Kydd) have dropped the ball for years. The effect of the finances of racing have deteriorated to such an extent that three of the better trainers in NZ are probably relocating to Australia. With them go the better horses. Simultaneously the two biggest racing stables are going to relocate their good horses to Australia. These are their best horses. In 12 months time, the remaining group and listed races in New Zealand will have horses race in them that are not as talented as those that have been exported and at the end of next season the international pattern committee will put those races on notice for downgrades in status. Those that were put on notice this year will be notified and reviewed for down grades. Two years from now we will have a status change on 25% of the black type races currently held in NZ. This will be the start of a consistent and niggling deterioration of NZ racing standards which will flatten the breeding industry's status.

A group 2 race in Germany yesterday was worth 17,500 euros. Many of their races are 3200 euros. Italy doesn't have any group 1 races anymore. Statistically both those countries had the current profile of today's NZ racing and breeding industry.

So Greg and whoever else want to be named, the ball has been dropped, we are in a catatonic state, the horse has bolted and everyone has to get used to the frame of mind that no one at the top table understands the process anymore. It would be very polite though, to simply say thanks for the email. We're quite busy at the moment and will get back to you when we can.

Well if all that you say is going on, whats the point in trying to give the regions a good kick in the guts? Seems like they may be the only areas supply horses to this ailing industry once all the playboys have up and gone to Aus.