RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
meomy

Queen's Birthday Races - a reflection in history

With no horse racing in New Zealand today for the first time since we can't recall, perhaps we can all reflect on what great memories we have all had in the past for this day's racing.

Let's make it a day to stop and reflect and honour all those who have traditionally made this day a day to remember.

Which horses, trainers, jockeys, breeders, owners will you always remember and recognise for their contributions to your racing experience?

Bear in mind what's written is a record for those past, present and in the future to read and learn from in years to come.

6400m, three times over the Ellerslie Hill, the 2001 Great Northern Steeplechase deadheat for 1st by Smart Hunter (Michelle Hopkins) and Sir Avion (can’t remember). A ten lengths or so width between them at the end, yet Race Caller Keith Haub calls “DEADHEAT!” as they crossed the line so far apart. Amazing.

Rugby Wanganui v Taranaki then through the gate to a day at the races. What a great day that was. Wish I was doing it right now. 

No politics no bull shit no blaming the track manager if you lost. Lady took your bet and paid you when you won. Cups of tea and pies. 

Wish I was doing right now 

53 minutes ago, Crow said:

Wanganui saturday and monday races and all the rugby crowd rolling in after Taranaki generally best Wanganui in the rugby. Now days rugby crowd probably would turn up because they would know the races are on the Rita

The year Bill Cherry gave up race calling on Queens Birthday Monday in 1976 there were 6 2 day meetings for the weekend, Ellerslie, Wanganui ,Hutt Park, Ashburton ,Wingatui,and Ascot Park Labour weekend was busy too, gee times have changed, hard to believe all those years ago they had radios you could listen to the races too,here in 2020 does one think we have progressed, not just in the races but life in general, hard to know really.

12 minutes ago, Beecee said:

Eiffel Tower after jumping the waterjump turned left and did a big 360 degree circle then went on to win beating Ringlock by 1/2 length...

Of all the weird places to watch a race from, I watched that one from the hurdle at the bottom of the hill. In those days it was still the sod wall (solid earth) and if horses didn't jump it cleanly they came to grief, not like the pissy brush they scramble through nowadays. Thing was, I was about ten yards from the jump and got an A1 view of every horse as it passed on each of the three rounds. Only then can you see the pressure of horse and jockey building up for the first two laps then when the pressure is really on down the hill the last time the effort, the tension, the urgency coupled with the fatigue of both rider and horse in a lather - a sight I'll never forget being so close to the action.

June at Wingatui was quite cold and muddy....they used to bring out the cut down drums and stoke up the fires to provide a bit of warmth for patrons ,then they would broadcast the Great Northern steeples on the loudspeakers.

!967 when Eiffel Tower won the GN after running off on first round ,losing a ton of ground they still win as mentioned above.. That was amazing !Ringlock was 12 yr old running in race for 4th time.ET also brought down Kumai in the incident.....Kumai a Wingatui horse won 34 wins in a stellar career...19 on flat.Kumai won the McGregor Grant on last day easily beating Ringlock etc.

3 years earlier ET had won the Wellington Cup carrying 46.5 kilos.....ridden by my neighbour Midge Didham !

Bill Hillis rode and trained ET in his Northern win and was top trainer in NZ during 60's as were Hec Anderton,Rex Cochrane and Ted Winsloe ....all Southerners !

WEHazlett ,owner of ET was top owner in NZ for 4 or 5 years.

Throw in Lucky Son [1965 Auckland Cup] and Southerners grabbed a lot of Auckland spoils at that time !

13 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

June at Wingatui was quite cold and muddy....they used to bring out the cut down drums and stoke up the fires to provide a bit of warmth for patrons ,then they would broadcast the Great Northern steeples on the loudspeakers.

!967 when Eiffel Tower won the GN after running off on first round ,losing a ton of ground they still win as mentioned above.. That was amazing !Ringlock was 12 yr old running in race for 4th time.ET also brought down Kumai in the incident.....Kumai a Wingatui horse won 34 wins in a stellar career...19 on flat.Kumai won the McGregor Grant on last day easily beating Ringlock etc.

3 years earlier ET had won the Wellington Cup carrying 46.5 kilos.....ridden by my neighbour Midge Didham !

Bill Hillis rode and trained ET in his Northern win and was top trainer in NZ during 60's as were Hec Anderton,Rex Cochrane and Ted Winsloe ....all Southerners !

WEHazlett ,owner of ET was top owner in NZ for 4 or 5 years.

Throw in Lucky Son [1965 Auckland Cup] and Southerners grabbed a lot of Auckland spoils at that time !

Kinawin or kinowin i think his name was one of a few southerners that went north recently, he broke down and was put down after a steeples race a year or two back, must have been a long trip back home for the connections.

It would be about 1970 or so but they had a tv camera at Ellerslie for the Great Northern.  Back in those days the legendary J.J. Stewart ran the Flock House Agricultural school.  J.J. Stewart was angry that in amongst the crowd shot was one of his pupils who should have been elsewhere that day.  And today that wayward student was mentioned in the Queen's Birthday honours. 

8 hours ago, mikenz said:

Kinawin or kinowin i think his name was one of a few southerners that went north recently, he broke down and was put down after a steeples race a year or two back, must have been a long trip back home for the connections.

Yes a very sad day for connections . :(

The 2017 Great Northern Steeplechase.  Kina Win was a tough chestnut gelding by Zed.

I remember that Queens Birthday well as I had the pleasure of meeting his Southern trainer Sabin Kirkland over a few beverages that weekend in Matamata where he had based himself.

He really loved that horse. :wub:
image.thumb.png.de56ddde17ddf8eb934c7ac05408de00.png
image.thumb.png.2a2abd1a0aac74f7524b04791dc2af66.png

22 hours ago, Memphis2 said:

Rugby Wanganui v Taranaki then through the gate to a day at the races. What a great day that was. Wish I was doing it right now. 

No politics no bull shit no blaming the track manager if you lost. Lady took your bet and paid you when you won. Cups of tea and pies. 

Wish I was doing right now 

5 AM champagne breakfast at the club sheds then 9 oclock kick off thn off to the races so miss it

On 6/1/2020 at 10:04 AM, gubellini said:

Trump Sir Avion was ridden by Wayne Hillis.

Yes, a remarkable race, a stunning finish, probably Keith Haub's best-ever call at the line.

To top it all off, there was, of course, only one LaZboy for the winning jockey so the two jockeys, Michelle and Wayne,  hopped in together much to the delight of the crowd.

12 hours ago, Baz (NZ) said:

Yes a very sad day for connections . :(

The 2017 Great Northern Steeplechase.  Kina Win was a tough chestnut gelding by Zed.

I remember that Queens Birthday well as I had the pleasure of meeting his Southern trainer Sabin Kirkland over a few beverages that weekend in Matamata where he had based himself.

He really loved that horse. :wub:
image.thumb.png.de56ddde17ddf8eb934c7ac05408de00.png
image.thumb.png.2a2abd1a0aac74f7524b04791dc2af66.png

I think Kinawin or whatever his name was racing up north late august but thats ok, i think it was the great northern but gee the end result is still the same.

19 minutes ago, Jape said:

Yes, a remarkable race, a stunning finish, probably Keith Haub's best-ever call at the line.

To top it all off, there was, of course, only one LaZboy for the winning jockey so the two jockeys, Michelle and Wayne,  hopped in together much to the delight of the crowd.

Most memorable that Lazyboy episode and added to the excitement. But Haubies best call? Some say one of his best was when Sedecrem flew through the middle of the pack in the G1 Jaguar Easter Hcp and Haubie called, “....and the Mercedes horse wins the Jaguar!” :) 

1 hour ago, 47South said:

Yes it was the Pirates shed, all my Marist Mates supported the cause

Good man. Bit early for me. I was in the Marist sheds one day and they started the 10 furlong right next to it. I asked this jockey if he wanted a beer. All the Jocks said don’t do it they have TV cameras on us. Anyway he had a 7 Oz beer. Guy trains in Victoria nowadays. 

11 minutes ago, Memphis2 said:

Good man. Bit early for me. I was in the Marist sheds one day and they started the 10 furlong right next to it. I asked this jockey if he wanted a beer. All the Jocks said don’t do it they have TV cameras on us. Anyway he had a 7 Oz beer. Guy trains in Victoria nowadays. 

I hope you backed Monastic and Whakamoa ?