RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mikenz

On course betting terminals.

14 hours ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

Spoke to friends high up in IT at the Council, they were adamant OIA and SFO should be looking into this debacle as there is NO WAY any system should cost this much, let alone 17 million to maintain each year.

When I explained RITA can't implement the 12 week upgrades they nearly choked on their cognac, then were fuming that after such a waste , absolute waste of money , Racing gets a $72.5 million bailout from Govt.

Luckily I explained it was only $50 million to rita .....

They were ropeable , more re the website costs so great to get an alternative view

The $17M I thought was just for the odds from Paddy Power which means bets placed in overseas jurisdictions immediately can affect local odds. 

Could I upset you a bit more by speculating that maintenance costs are probably on top of the $17M.

The $17millon per year Rita wastes on a useless betting plate form rental upgrades, call it what you like. I say dead loose money.

That $17millon could be better spent by adding $8500 per race to 2000 races a year. That's What I would do asp.

Would you buy a new car that needs a service every year at 1/2 the price of a new one? 

Rita thinks its a better idea to keep paying than saving to raise stakes.

What did you think?

1 minute ago, Unbridled said:

The $17millon per year Rita wastes on a useless betting plate form rental upgrades, call it what you like. I say dead loose money.

That $17millon could be better spent by adding $8500 per race to 2000 races a year. That's What I would do asp.

Would you buy a new car that needs a service every year at 1/2 the price of a new one? 

Rita thinks its a better idea to keep paying than saving to raise stakes.

What did you think?

Maybe that's because they are honouring a contract. No point in buyers remorse this late in the show.

14 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

I doubt very much CJC does 45% on terminals, try 10% on a good day

Fair enough......ask them .......but Riccarton is 1 venue, there a apparently over 550 x Retail outlets in NZ and hundreds I guess only have SST's.

14 hours ago, chelseacol said:

can you give a bit more data on these stats please Tasman.

60% of all bets on and off course digital ? Or on course ?

45% on those terminals ???

Cheers

Col

Hi Col,

Did a lot of reading on reports , documents etc during lockdown plus from quotes from people in the know over the past couple of years.

A lot of pub/tabs etc only have SST's ...there are 550 x retail outlets in NZ. No great surprise they are going in this direction in view of wage cost and fact that the old machines had done their time.

I often struck some that didn't read the card properly.

8 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

Fair enough......ask them .......but Riccarton is 1 venue, there a apparently over 550 x Retail outlets in NZ and hundreds I guess only have SST's.

And they are shithouse, most dont like NZ dollars which makes it untenable with a queue, but most operators at Ellerslie are not much better. :rcf-thinking:

1 minute ago, Gruff said:

And they are shithouse, most dont like NZ dollars which makes it untenable with a queue, but most operators at Ellerslie are not much better. :rcf-thinking:

Oh no Gruff ,I thought you might have shown the lovely lasses and guys on the windows some kindness since they just got laid off !

There's been an outpouring of grief for these folk...you been away ?

Was that you ,that young chap lost in the bush at top of South Island ?

Just now, tasman man 11 said:

Oh no Gruff ,I thought you might have shown the lovely lasses and guys on the windows some kindness since they just got laid off !

There's been an outpouring of grief for these folk...you been away ?

Was that you ,that young chap lost in the bush at top of South Island ?

I dont smoke weed Tassy  :rcfe-like:

One of those lasses i met last time i was there was a friend who has no idea about racing , and unfortunately most deserve to be laid off with all due respect, there are 4 or 5 that are ok :rcfe-like:  You want to bet on course you need to use your celly, and have a Battery back up. Not ideal

1 hour ago, tasman man 11 said:

I think your 45%,thru the SST is absolute nonsense. I would doubt it breaks 20%, interestingly at my local tab all the young ones sports bet over the counter as they found the machines unreliable and continually rejected cash, good luck with that. I won't ask CJC, they probably wouldn't know anyway, but this is something Rita should be tabling to justify their stand

Thank god for professionally run overseas betting sites

9 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

I think your 45%,thru the SST is absolute nonsense. I would doubt it breaks 20%, interestingly at my local tab all the young ones sports bet over the counter as they found the machines unreliable and continually rejected cash, good luck with that. I won't ask CJC, they probably wouldn't know anyway, but this is something Rita should be tabling to justify their stand

Thank god for professionally run overseas betting sites

Have you ever been out of the South Island ?

Riccarton and your local TAB probably not a good sample when there are over 550 retail outlets.

Canterbury obviously has plenty of TAB operators......they send a bus  load of them to Nelson trots-Kumara gallops-Nelson trots to run the machines there and fly several up to Wellington Cup day etc.

Cantabrians should be able to work out what way around the cash is inserted into the slot.

Prior to lockdown the number of machines seemed to be on the increase too.....on Avondale Cup day at Ellerslie in March the number of SST's in public tote area had increased from 3 to 8.

I'm happy that you enjoy the overseas sites....and nice to hear from a 'winning' punter ...you in top 5% .

If the TAB is still spending on SST's then could some one tell them STOP IT.

Lets not be wise after the event like in two years time the conclusion reached TAB should have phased out SST's.

Stats given for betting through SST's may be faulty as they are probably including account deposits as bets.

Is the plot (probably called a strategic plan) to have all punters do the work (unpaid) of gambling for the T.A.B., as banks have done with Internet banking? That has been very profitable for banks.

With this 'plan', you hardly need attend races so no need for stands and facilities and refreshments. Taken to its (ill) logical conclusion, virtual horses could run in virtual races. The whole business could even be out-sourced

I think the end game will be SST machines in various locations like an ATM, no TAB's, just SST In walls throughout the towns and on courses

Probably inevitable over time, the reality is the racing industry is losing its client base

Lord knows where racing ends up In NZ, I am really worried for the future, if there is any

2 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

Probably inevitable over time, the reality is the racing industry is losing its client base

The client base has been knocked over and had the shit kicked out of it . 

I know so many people who have given up betting horses because a) cant watch races free , b) now can't hear the races , c) now can't source form guides of any type , d) TAB took away their ability to bet over the phone , previous to that they just kept putting up minimum spends out of the reach of many small bettors .

The client base is now on life support and waiting for someone from the RITATAB to come and flick the switch off and put an end to their downward spiraling misery .

16 minutes ago, nomates said:

The client base has been knocked over and had the shit kicked out of it . 

I know so many people who have given up betting horses because a) cant watch races free , b) now can't hear the races , c) now can't source form guides of any type , d) TAB took away their ability to bet over the phone , previous to that they just kept putting up minimum spends out of the reach of many small bettors .

The client base is now on life support and waiting for someone from the RITATAB to come and flick the switch off and put an end to their downward spiraling misery .

I do find no radio a huge letdown,as I posted before what benefits if any do they get from tv being on sky,is anybody aware that trackside is on spark sport?

3 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

I think the end game will be SST machines in various locations like an ATM, no TAB's, just SST In walls throughout the towns and on courses

Lord knows where racing ends up In NZ, I am really worried for the future, if there is any

I agree, but can't see the SST being allowed to go anywhere other than where they currently can, the goodie two shoes crowd would have a melt down seeing a SST in a mall or a main street, their safe spaces would no longer be safe.