RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

Too many accountants

M understanding is that clubs pay the on course costs so what does that have to do with Rita. 

The reality is the terminals are old and failing and no provision made in the new whizz bang failure of a computer. 

Go figure and they pay  330k per week for the maintenance of the new whizz bang failure. 

Wake me up from the nightmare

Bring on the Auzzie Corps, just gift our shit box to them as it has no value

36 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

M understanding is that clubs pay the on course costs so what does that have to do with Rita. 

The reality is the terminals are old and failing and no provision made in the new whizz bang failure of a computer. 

Go figure and they pay  330k per week for the maintenance of the new whizz bang failure. 

Wake me up from the nightmare

Bring on the Auzzie Corps, just gift our shit box to them as it has no value

I would love to know how RITA manage $4.1M costs to run these terminals when clubs pay wages for staff on the day.

47 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I would love to know how RITA manage $4.1M costs to run these terminals when clubs pay wages for staff on the day.

Think. The clubs only pay the actual terminal operators on the day which is relatively minor in the scheme of things.

Leggy, do you have a breakdown.

Could a club swim against the tide and have their own tote staff. 

At CJC they have 2 units on ground floor and only a few use. They will need 8 machines and have to run training courses. I have my doubts about it all. I will probably put my bets on at the local Tab and watch from home. In reality will probably just bet in Australia on my Aussie account and not bother attending locally. 

No attendance and no churn and the lack of churn will hurt local clubs. 

A very poor decision which probably should have been feed in over time. Meantime upper HO costs untouched FFS

12 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

At CJC they have 2 units on ground floor and only a few use. They will need 8 machines and have to run training courses. I have my doubts about it all. I will probably put my bets on at the local Tab and watch from home. In reality will probably just bet in Australia on my Aussie account and not bother attending locally. 

A very poor decision which probably should have been feed in over time. Meantime upper HO costs untouched FFS

Cost to a club would be:

No of operated terminals x 8 hours x close to minimum wage

Plus cost for the operating company (company that organises it for the club).  

Costs for an industry day about $2K, costs for a large premier day up to $20K

20 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

I don't have a break down but just divide 4.1m by the number of racedays. The major cost is getting the TAB staff and all the equipment (including the big truck with all the satellite gear etc.) to the raceday tracks, setting up the terminals, links, getting everything talking to each other etc. That's always or mostly the day before so often overnight accommodation and expenses for those staff etc. etc. It's clearly not worth it.

5 minutes ago, Leggy said:

I don't have a break down but just divide 4.1m by the number of racedays. The major cost is getting the TAB staff and all the equipment (including the big truck with all the satellite gear etc.) to the raceday tracks, setting up the terminals, links, getting everything talking to each other etc. That's always or mostly the day before so often overnight accommodation and expenses for those staff etc. etc. It's clearly not worth it.

Hi Leggy, this is where  get confused,, many pubs have face to face machines and do not require truck with satellite etc. Why do we need the truck?  Is is not possible to wire these machines up like a pub or a TAB shop? 

13 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Hi Leggy, this is where  get confused,, many pubs have face to face machines and do not require truck with satellite etc. Why do we need the truck?  Is is not possible to wire these machines up like a pub or a TAB shop? 

Someone else may be able to answer that but I think that's essentially what they do at each meeting replicating what you have in retail TABs and Pubs on a temporary basis.

10 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Someone else may be able to answer that but I think that's essentially what they do at each meeting replicating what you have in retail TABs and Pubs on a temporary basis.

Will then the model need a look at.  If I can have a pub next door to my racecourse that has a face to face terminal on it without a truck and satellites I don't know why the course can't operate the same way, for same cost model.  We had these same terminals in Rangiriri pub in before wifi and we had no truck or satellite outside. 

8 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Will then the model need a look at.  If I can have a pub next door to my racecourse that has a face to face terminal on it without a truck and satellites I don't know why the course can't operate the same way, for same cost model.  We had these same terminals in Rangiriri pub in before wifi and we had no truck or satellite outside. 

Yes, but in a pub, you don't have the installation and de-installation costs for each day you operate.

No face-to-face on-course terminal operators. Wow. Just another nail in the coffin no matter which 'undertaker' made this ill-thought out decision. Those self-bet machines are a nightmare. Imagine what it's going to be like on a busy cup day (many once in a year punters) and someone using it starts having troubles with it (or it has an error) and there's a long queue waiting to get on. That's going to turn potential newcomers off racing in droves. Add to that the vagaries of the TAB app and/or website and well....would the last person to leave please turn the light out because the TAB won't be able to afford the last day's electric bill by then.

6 hours ago, High Sparrow said:

No face-to-face on-course terminal operators. Wow. Just another nail in the coffin no matter which 'undertaker' made this ill-thought out decision. Those self-bet machines are a nightmare. Imagine what it's going to be like on a busy cup day (many once in a year punters) and someone using it starts having troubles with it (or it has an error) and there's a long queue waiting to get on. That's going to turn potential newcomers off racing in droves. Add to that the vagaries of the TAB app and/or website and well....would the last person to leave please turn the light out because the TAB won't be able to afford the last day's electric bill by then.

Most on course punters would be betting on their cellphones surely? I do when I’m on course. Most of my friends do also. 

2 minutes ago, Trump said:

Most on course punters would be betting on their cellphones surely? I do when I’m on course. Most of my friends do also. 

Clubs lose money on most race days. They need their one cup day to pay for the rest.  This cup day has the once a year punters who don’t necessary have an account. 

Me personally I will punt with cash and account. I still get more enjoyment from winning $500 cash than $500 on the account.