RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Huey

Is now a good time to restructure Clubs?

With all the change in the industry going on at the moment, would it be a good idea to look at all of the clubs around the country and create some synergies by amalgamating functions?

I'm particularly meaning clubs with full time staff, surely many of the functions provided by clubs could be consolidated into one entity reducing the cost to run clubs within the industry?

We have :

Ellerslie

Trentham

Awapuni

Otaki

New Plymouth

Te Rapa

Hawkes Bay

Wanganui

Matamata

Pukekohe

and perhaps a few others(???) within the North Island that all have CEOs or GMs, Financial/Marketing and Procurement functions etc surely it would be possible to consolidate many of these functions into one entity?

On 5/28/2020 at 9:19 PM, nomates said:

3 regional committees , northern , central districts , southern . Decides meetings , when , where , stakes . Every area knows their own strengths and weaknesses . ??? just an idea .

There looks to be $2.5m-4m of annual cost savings to the industry in restructuring the clubs, alot of these club administrators are dead serious in saving money and spending it as they all appear very pro asset sales, so here is another opportunity for the industry to be restructured. Why aren't NZTR doing something useful around this?

Southern racing has been under the umbrella of Gallop South for a while,  others may know more about its structure and efficacy, but to me, looking on,  it seems to be a good initiatve.

Otago were part of the whole for a while but not now, again, some will know more about that than I do.

Having regional 'clusters'  was encouraged a while ago and Canterbury Racing played its part, but things seemed to drift away and now its all very parochial again.

It's a bit like the Racing Bureau concept;  they do a great job and no criticism implied there, but I'm a bit lost as to where the cost savings come in, I'm not aware that any club secretary has lost his job or has had his workload reduced as a result.

1 hour ago, Huey said:

There looks to be $2.5m-4m of annual cost savings to the industry in restructuring the clubs, alot of these club administrators are dead serious in saving money and spending it as they all appear very pro asset sales, so here is another opportunity for the industry to be restructured. Why aren't NZTR doing something useful around this?

1 hour ago, Huey said:
On 5/28/2020 at 9:19 PM, nomates said:

3 regional committees , northern , central districts , southern . Decides meetings , when , where , stakes . Every area knows their own strengths and weaknesses . ??? just an idea .

1 hour ago, Huey said:

If it took this form or something along those lines all 3 committees could have a member on the racing board , whatever shape that could take with other appointees as required to balance it out . Harness and greyhounds would have their representatives as well . This would mean racing had racing people having a say in decisions regarding their industry .

All we have at the moment is non racing people taking wild stabs in the dark with a very blunt knife . And most of the time just poking themselves in the eye .

I know where the blunt knife needs to be poked .

A thought: to pre-empt the probably illegal and certainly immoral acquistion of racing clubs' assets, would those denied racing days be better to sell their courses and invest into remaining clubs? More than P.B.T.C. just hiring to race at Hastings but buying a share of the parent club, to retain some identity and still have some power over their destiny.

The industry has advanced beyond little provincial clubs exerting control over the industry. We need to establish strong central control at Conference level and the clubs can be left to manage the small things like organising the food

1 hour ago, Stables said:

The industry has advanced beyond little provincial clubs exerting control over the industry. We need to establish strong central control at Conference level and the clubs can be left to manage the small things like organising the food

Ok, help me out here how are little provincial clubs exerting control over the industry? 

They attend the Annual Conference, each with a vote and accumulatively influence the decision making. The whole system of an Annual conference is outdated. With Central control other people can be involved in making decision, such as Owners, Breeders and Trainers, the people that are actually paying for everything

27 minutes ago, Stables said:

They attend the Annual Conference, each with a vote and accumulatively influence the decision making. The whole system of an Annual conference is outdated. With Central control other people can be involved in making decision, such as Owners, Breeders and Trainers, the people that are actually paying for everything

I thought the voting system was based on Race Days or something like that? Doesn't look like they have been able to influence very much at all lately, take for example the removal of race days from these popular venues I can't see many of the smaller clubs having voted for that?

Owners,Breeders,Trainers all belong to racing clubs big and small so they can have influence at the club level surely?

The sport is unfortunately dominated by the larger clubs at every level, in fact NZTR think they are the only clubs that exist.

Are you sure you don't suffer from "Blame the ills of the industry on the small clubs syndrome"?

Which clubs do you specifically believe are bad for the industry?

The whole system of having a host of small clubs running their own little race meetings at far away places is no longer sustainable, hence the new structure where racemeetings are conducted where the horses are

1 hour ago, Stables said:

The whole system of having a host of small clubs running their own little race meetings at far away places is no longer sustainable, hence the new structure where racemeetings are conducted where the horses are

I'd still like to see the analysis that shows that it is economically unsustainable in the longer term.

2 hours ago, Stables said:

I don't disagree with that, particularly considering the Gisborne situation, but they were funding that themselves. Which other clubs are too far away & no longer sustainable? Hows the horse population at Te Rapa, Ellerslie,Trentham, Otaki .Taupo to name a few? No race meetings for them under your new regime?

11 hours ago, Stables said:

I agree, Trentham and Otaki are unsustainable in the long term

There are several clubs who are very sustainable now and in the future but the likes of NZTR don't want to know, it doesn't suit their agenda.

21 hours ago, Stables said:

I really do think it is stretching it to suggest that Stratford, Hokitika and Waimate etc are responsible for the industry's problems. I suppose we will see in a year or two, if we last that long, whether pouring all our resources into a few big, but hitherto under-performing, tracks is the answer to the industry's problems.

4 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I really do think it is stretching it to suggest that Stratford, Hokitika and Waimate etc are responsible for the industry's problems. I suppose we will see in a year or two, if we last that long, whether pouring all our resources into a few big, but hitherto under-performing, tracks is the answer to the industry's problems.

It's the end,  people are so foolish the support this.

It's a test run for when they want private land and thats for certain on the way.

On 6/8/2020 at 9:05 AM, Phar Lap Fan said:

A thought: to pre-empt the probably illegal and certainly immoral acquistion of racing clubs' assets, would those denied racing days be better to sell their courses and invest into remaining clubs? More than P.B.T.C. just hiring to race at Hastings but buying a share of the parent club, to retain some identity and still have some power over their destiny.

You mean like Marton and Feilding have done successfully at Awapuni?