RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Silver Fox: I'm not ready to give up just yet

Interesting the bit about racing Board being disinterested in operating radio as a standalone business enterprise. 

Thats one of the key problems right through the industry. The idea that the percentage take from gambling is the only form of revenue. The so called managers obviously weren't interested in operating the media side as a business as any losses just came of the amount distributed to horse owners.

But the real criminal action is getting out of radio and downsizing TV without any inclination to allow private interests to move in. In other words the senior managers knowing that their plush lifestyles will soon end are deliberately sabotaging racing as their parting shot. The way RITA is going about this downsizing is worse than the previous admin creating the disaster.

If Des Coppins gets a voice on loveracing.co.nz I hope he cuts the diplomatic spiel  and gets down to the chase.

1 hour ago, slam dunk said:

Interesting the bit about racing Board being disinterested in operating radio as a standalone business enterprise. 

Thats one of the key problems right through the industry. The idea that the percentage take from gambling is the only form of revenue. The so called managers obviously weren't interested in operating the media side as a business as any losses just came of the amount distributed to horse owners.

But the real criminal action is getting out of radio and downsizing TV without any inclination to allow private interests to move in. In other words the senior managers knowing that their plush lifestyles will soon end are deliberately sabotaging racing as their parting shot. The way RITA is going about this downsizing is worse than the previous admin creating the disaster.

If Des Coppins gets a voice on loveracing.co.nz I hope he cuts the diplomatic spiel  and gets down to the chase.

Des was always the ultimate company man , never asked the hard questions . As disappointed as he is still not really stepping on his old bosses toes . It's because of people in the industry such as Des who have a voice and a profile but never stood up and questioned what was going on that racing has continued it's downward spiral . I am not singling Des out and no agenda against Des , just trying to point out that if more people who have a voice within racing had spoke out more and often maybe the situation might not be so dire .

3 hours ago, Barry Lichter said:
Popular broadcaster Des Coppins reflects on his 50 years in racing and where the TAB went wrong.

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stories/silver-fox-after-50-years-racings-best-days-are-gone-but-im-not-ready-to-give-up-just-yet/

1882524543_ScreenShot2020-05-28at11_24_48AM.thumb.png.759749aef9a6cc39952cc3e549976b23.png

Well now you’re not beholden to the TAB, you don’t need to be so “diplomatic” eh Des...??

Maybe now we can get the hard questions asked and stop sugar coating the state of the Industry like we have done for the last 20 years.

9 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Well now you’re not beholden to the TAB, you don’t need to be so “diplomatic” eh Des...??

Maybe now we can get the hard questions asked and stop sugar coating the state of the Industry like we have done for the last 20 years.

All too late now O , had his chance along with plenty of others . He wont say anything now just in case something changes and he can get back in . 

the bloke had ample time and was in a prime position to ask questions and make suggestions to the administration...as a boss i welcome any criticisms or suggestions from my staff..all opinions should be welcomed and discussed..the staff at the coalface can see the issues and face them everyday ,if they voice any concerns ,it shows they care and want to improve things..des coppins had no reason to fear anyone ,he should have had the fortitude to speak up and support any issues/concerns that people brought up on his radio show and media jobs..

Gee there is some mean spirited stuff on this thread. Guy loses his long term gig and you all take a chance to pot him about not being tough enough asking questions.

I will choose to remember Des as a passionate enthusiast for the game. Knew his stuff and worked hard to convey the thrill of the game that owners, trainers, jockeys and punters could get. Encourage turnover and people getting involved.

Well respected and had access to lots of people. His interviews were often great to listen to. He did give people a chance to talk on a sunday morning. (Sure I take your points - but he isn't an investigative journalist. Pete Early gave that a crack and it made not a blind bit of difference actually - good on him though).

Just my 5 cents

Des was on radio to drive turnover for the TAB. By talking to trainers and other tipsters he was able to provide people with some knowledge which was an incentive to bet. He wasn't there as a conduit of change. In my opinion he is a loss to racing, as is radio coverage.

15 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Gee there is some mean spirited stuff on this thread. Guy loses his long term gig and you all take a chance to pot him about not being tough enough asking questions.

I will choose to remember Des as a passionate enthusiast for the game. Knew his stuff and worked hard to convey the thrill of the game that owners, trainers, jockeys and punters could get. Encourage turnover and people getting involved.

Well respected and had access to lots of people. His interviews were often great to listen to. He did give people a chance to talk on a sunday morning. (Sure I take your points - but he isn't an investigative journalist. Pete Early gave that a crack and it made not a blind bit of difference actually - good on him though).

Just my 5 cents

Hardly mean spirited Col, Des has been on the tit for 35 years so has had ample time to affect change.  Simply easier not to rock the boat.

He’s had his tipping line going for years too alongside all this so doubt he is struggling for a dollar. If they can get something going with NZTR it will at least be an outlet for people to vent their frustrations and ask questions...just depends how sanitised it gets.

8 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Hardly mean spirited Col, Des has been on the tit for 35 years so has had ample time to affect change.  Simply easier not to rock the boat.

He’s had his tipping line going for years too alongside all this so doubt he is struggling for a dollar. If they can get something going with NZTR it will at least be an outlet for people to vent their frustrations and ask questions...just depends how sanitised it gets.

Agree to disagree then Ohoka. I never saw his role in the way you do.

And irrespective of how much money he has or doesn't have... losing your life's work is never much fun. Not sure that getting paid to do you job is on the tit either.... but there you go.

Col, can but agree

Had a couple of hours with Des and my old departed mate Rumpole at Trentham Oaks Day a few years ago

Des was superb company and was so passionate about racing and Trentham, what a great time I had and superbly educated. A good man. 

As Rumpole said to me later, you may hold different views but Des is a more clever bastard than you.

Thanks Rumpole, you  old grumpy bugger, but he was right of course 

5 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

And irrespective of how much money he has or doesn't have... losing your life's work is never much fun. Not sure that getting paid to do you job is on the tit either.... but there you go.

i thought it was sausage rolls never new they were on the tit aswell

17 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

He is 70 FFS...time to move on maybe...?? New thinking and ideas needed....Trentham is hardly a shining example is it....??

Des is very good, great charisma and a world of knowledge, irreplaceable and we have no one quite like him in NZ.

But... Radio is old fashioned, for a new audience it was difficult to follow. As a punter who enjoyed his broadcast's I was frustrated when i missed a good interview, it wasn't quickly uploaded or accessible, if it was uploaded it never had bookmarks for key interviews and information. 

I hope he can look into setting up a remote studio and start his own podcast, he doesn't need the TAB or the Radio to do things better than before.

When Addington started today i think it was O Connor and Matt Cross who were doing the lead up, not one of them said that is was good to be back racing despite the pack of useless fucking arseholes running the ship like the Titanic and if they dont fuck off soon it will probably sink like it too, would have been a good to get a honest appraisal of the situation just to get things underway aye.

11 hours ago, mikenz said:

When Addington started today i think it was O Connor and Matt Cross who were doing the lead up, not one of them said that is was good to be back racing despite the pack of useless fucking arseholes running the ship like the Titanic and if they dont fuck off soon it will probably sink like it too, would have been a good to get a honest appraisal of the situation just to get things underway aye.

What, rock the boat, bite the hand......nah.....:rolleyes:

I think you will find this is why Peter Earley has taken the redundancy package, he was never afraid to ask the hard questions, ruffled  a few feathers and he has now paid the price.

He had a few on the back foot with the questions he asked  Edward Rennell and Greg Purcell, loved this, the answers required were not always forthcoming, Pete kept prying and eventually he wore them down.

Enjoy your retirement Pete, always enjoyed your honesty and integrity!

15 hours ago, nzhorseracing said:

I hope he can look into setting up a remote studio and start his own podcast, he doesn't need the TAB or the Radio to do things better than before.

Still better than that. Des has proved he knows a thing or two about marketing. I would install him as the marketing manager at RITA, balance him up with a younger expert in digital marketing and you have the A team. The rest can be kicked out.

2 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Still better than that. Des has proved he knows a thing or two about marketing. I would install him as the marketing manager at RITA, balance him up with a younger expert in digital marketing and you have the A team. The rest can be kicked out.

Tui Ad right there....:rolleyes:

On a cold miserable Sunday here is good money making vehicle.

R2 Pinjarra. No.4 Sly As A Fox.

Only 7 horse field. Horse is a bit slow winding up but comes home well. Looks solid improving type. No pace in this race wouldn't surprise if leads. Can't really see missing a place.