RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

230 TAB staff given marching orders - leaders still there

18 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

Good comments TA

I agree it's up to the management of CJC to get it moving, get three under 35 yesr olds on their committee to drive it. 

Old hats do not have the vision, sorry Tim and Co. 

Just had a look at the website for summer racing evening racing  UK 2020 they did have lined up   Rick Astley, Kaiser Chiefs,  UB40 , James Arthur,  some DJs that mean nothing to me , Bjorn Again and a Welsh bloke called Sir Tom Jones . Draws the crowds in  to get for a  nice evening . Like you say need some new blood with vision to get that sort of event organised .

25 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Just had a look at the website for summer racing evening racing  UK 2020 they did have lined up   Rick Astley, Kaiser Chiefs,  UB40 , James Arthur,  some DJs that mean nothing to me , Bjorn Again and a Welsh bloke called Sir Tom Jones . Draws the crowds in  to get for a  nice evening . Like you say need some new blood with vision to get that sort of event organised 

It is so fcken simple in today's world just basic

I get so frustrated at our stale males fucking the go forward, it ain't hard - it is marketing 101 in reality, about knowing your customers, past, present and future relative to changing times, put simply change nothing and nothing changes. 

For years racing has produced no colour or atmosphere. Take Riccarton, why don't the jocks mount out in the back  parade ring rather than in the birdcage, get the atmosphere close and personal, my daughter said to me last year on WC day this is so good to see these little guys and girls up close, she loved it - atmosphere, involvement, personal and real - she didn't need my binos, interestingly she saw Lisa Allpress and backs her every time she is at the races, 100 to 1 and my daughter has 3 over 7 for her simply because she was so impressed at a little girl doing her big job

It really is simple, no need to make it difficult

6 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

It is so fcken simple in today's world just basic

I get so frustrated at our stale males fucking the go forward, it ain't hard

For years racing has produced no colour or atmosphere. Take Riccarton, why don't the jocks mount out in the back  parade ring rather than in the birdcage, get the atmosphere close and personal, my daughter said to me last year on WC day this is so good to see these little guys and girls up close, she loved it - atmosphere, involvement, personal and real - she didn't need my binos, interestingly she saw Lisa Allpress and backs her every time she is at the races, 100 to 1 and my daughter has 3 over 7 for her simply because she was so impressed at a little girl doing her big job

I agree , why don't they do that . Let one or two owners in back paddock ,  privy to hearing the instructions and meet jockey, feel part of it , it adds to the occasion  . It's odd here they are excluded , all over Europe , Ireland , US it's done like that , never heard of any incidents and it's a way more litigious society . If it's a health and safety issue put an area next to it for the pre race briefing and meet of jockey , make owner feel involved .

1 hour ago, tripple alliance said:

People want more than a boring , wet day with no atmosphere  , racing must go upmarket , charge  for what's on offer and hope the younger generation has a punt , I  hope it's not to late but I  fear it is .

Oh Ok, so why do they pile into these smaller venues over the summer, with average fields ,below average stands, wonderful relaxed atmosphere etc etc etc.

But avoid a lot of the big days at the larger venues , Riccarton included apart from Cup week like the plague? Lets give them an AWT they will flock in like seagulls they'll love it, punters will be scrambling over falling bodies to bet on it as well, they'll love paying $20 to get in the gate and $12 for a warm Heineken that"ll work wonders for the industry no doubt about, its been working really well already hasn't it and the AWT is just the icing on the cake surely???? 

1 minute ago, Huey said:

Oh Ok, so why do they pile into these smaller venues over the summer, with average fields ,below average stands, wonderful relaxed atmosphere etc etc etc.

But avoid a lot of the big days at the larger venues , Riccarton included apart from Cup week like the plague? Lets give them an AWT they will flock in like seagulls they'll love it, punters will be scrambling over falling bodies to bet on it as well, they'll love paying $20 to get in the gate and $12 for a warm Heineken that"ll work wonders for the industry no doubt about, its been working really well already hasn't it and the AWT is just the icing on the cake surely???? 

A lot of youngsters at Kumara , and Omoto.  Haven't been to Reefton for years but guessing the same .

I went to Riccarton once , they had a bouncey castle for kids,  was years ago  , when was last  time they had a family day at races  , something people can go as a family , have a bet , fun for kids . Other tracks do it well , Motukarara,  Rangiora trots used to do it , candy floss , kids tote , Shetland ponies , puppet shows . Just something , a bit of life .

9 minutes ago, Huey said:

I don't think we should be worrying about getting crowds back , those days are gone , different generations , different interests . The best thing to do is focus on getting betting revenue up . How is the question , I believe getting the product right is the first thing . Even if the A/W's were safe and gave enjoyable racing , our product is poor , so we are just xfering a poor product from grass to sand , same shit different bucket . 

I don't know where racing is going to end up , things have to change . Just because people like yourself and others ask tough questions about decisions made doesn't mean we don't understand we require change , but it's the lack of clear process and clarity of decisions that rankle with us . They are clearly of a mind not take any notice or try to interact with industry participants . One constant overs the years has been that everyone has self interest at heart and i really don't know if that will change . Tonight has shown me that once again . 

The people losing their races aren't happy , people getting A/W's are , i haven't heard anybody from outside of those 3 tracks talking positively about them , so who's right ? only time will tell . I can't get a response about the issues that are being discussed on this thread from anybody who could be considered a voice within NZ racing , A person with a higher profile . No one wants to answer any of the questions i asked earlier . Sent emails , never get a reply , make phone calls , never get thru or a reply to messages left . Where do we go with those attitudes . Wont respond to plebs like me but the ones that can wont rock the boat . Just accept whatever comes maybe .

12 minutes ago, nomates said:

I don't think we should be worrying about getting crowds back , those days are gone , different generations , different interests . The best thing to do is focus on getting betting revenue up . How is the question , I believe getting the product right is the first thing . Even if the A/W's were safe and gave enjoyable racing , our product is poor , so we are just xfering a poor product from grass to sand , same shit different bucket . 

I don't know where racing is going to end up , things have to change . Just because people like yourself and others ask tough questions about decisions made doesn't mean we don't understand we require change , but it's the lack of clear process and clarity of decisions that rankle with us . They are clearly of a mind not take any notice or try to interact with industry participants . One constant overs the years has been that everyone has self interest at heart and i really don't know if that will change . Tonight has shown me that once again . 

The people losing their races aren't happy , people getting A/W's are , i haven't heard anybody from outside of those 3 tracks talking positively about them , so who's right ? only time will tell . I can't get a response about the issues that are being discussed on this thread from anybody who could be considered a voice within NZ racing , A person with a higher profile . No one wants to answer any of the questions i asked earlier . Sent emails , never get a reply , make phone calls , never get thru or a reply to messages left . Where do we go with those attitudes . Wont respond to plebs like me but the ones that can wont rock the boat . Just accept whatever comes maybe .

Ever thought they don’t reply because they don’t have any answers, at least any that make sense...??
Getting people to the track outside of major Carnivals and Holiday time has always been a mission...the options for the discretionary dollar are much greater these days compared to 20 odd years ago and Racing just doesn’t make top of the list for most people. The one thing that does get the non regular along is a Champion or a horse that excites.....think a Sunline, Winx, Makybe Diva or in Harness a Christian Cullen or Lazarus, Lyell Creek....

And what they are proposing for on course punters in future with self service terminals ain’t going to help either....I hope they have plenty of technicians on site to fix the bloody things when they inevitably break down.....Genius.......:rolleyes:

51 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

A lot of youngsters at Kumara , and Omoto.  Haven't been to Reefton for years but guessing the same .

I went to Riccarton once , they had a bouncey castle for kids,  was years ago  , when was last  time they had a family day at races  , something people can go as a family , have a bet , fun for kids . Other tracks do it well , Motukarara,  Rangiora trots used to do it , candy floss , kids tote , Shetland ponies , puppet shows . Just something , a bit of life .

I agree with those last words, a bit of life. My last few times at Riccarton, Ashburton and Timaru have left me shaking my head. The racing itself is fine, it's just the total package that's being offered for a day out is just so stuck in the past.

There is such an urgent need for new ideas and marketing to get the next generation involved. For many, it is a big turnoff.

5 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

Ludwig they rest comfortably in the 70s or 80s and in doing so have fcuked racing

Muppets

It's like the "hipster" organisers of the Caroline Bay carnival in Timaru. A few years ago, the headline act was to be 1960s country singer, Eddie Lowe. Good grief,he's even older than me. And then they look dumbfounded when teens, among others, show no interest. 

The same ,stuck in the past mentality.

7 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

It's like the "hipster" organisers of the Caroline Bay carnival in Timaru. A few years ago, the headline act was to be 1960s country singer, Eddie Lowe. Good grief,he's even older than me. And then they look dumbfounded when teens, among others, show no interest. 

The same ,stuck in the past mentality.

John Hore wasn't travelling that summer then

33 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Ever thought they don’t reply because they don’t have any answers, at least any that make sense...??
Getting people to the track outside of major Carnivals and Holiday time has always been a mission...the options for the discretionary dollar are much greater these days compared to 20 odd years ago and Racing just doesn’t make top of the list for most people. The one thing that does get the non regular along is a Champion or a horse that excites.....think a Sunline, Winx, Makybe Diva or in Harness a Christian Cullen or Lazarus, Lyell Creek....

And what they are proposing for on course punters in future with self service terminals ain’t going to help either....I hope they have plenty of technicians on site to fix the bloody things when they inevitably break down.....Genius.......:rolleyes:

Wasn't asking for answers , was going to suggest they go out and ask for help basically , was going to tell them there is a lot of people out there with ideas , go ask . 

As for the self service terminals , they will be the death knell of on course patronage , anybody inexperienced newbie that goes and tries it once , wont go back and will pass on the message . They are a friggin nightmare for anything but E/W , the pub ones i've tried anyway .

I've always bet with NZ TAB , never considered going elsewhere , never even checked out rivals . 

Just have , WOW , information overload , everything required to study form , additional commentaries about horses and how race could play out , speed maps . you name it they have got there . 

We are in the dark ages by comparison .

Not sure i'll change , i'd feel like a traitor to a sport that has given me so much enjoyment . But it is thought provoking .

15 hours ago, nomates said:

Let the locals get together and find some event that can fill the infield of every racecourse on every raceday, farmers markets ,car shows, local sports have a tournament etc etc beneficial for both sides, only problem is traffic safety across the racetrack. Currently the land is a waste of space.Help the locals with the venue and they will bring the punters flocking in

14 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

John Hore wasn't travelling that summer then

Didn't John change his name when he got married for obvious reasons.

Racing really has needed a form of music to associate with. Country music fills the score. This idea that teens or young people have to have their type is crap. Many young people wish they were living in the fifties, sixties etc because of the music then. Avondale about 15 or 20 years ago used to have an old rocker from way back that did a sterling job each raceday.

20 hours ago, Huey said:

They pile into these smaller venues because they are one offs , usually on a prime day in the summer time , try racing 3 Saturdays in a row at these venues and see who turns up then . This restructure that's now unavoidable will attempt to create a viable  long term industry , it will be smaller , no escaping that but hopefully profitable .

Now you must have read the post Gizzy gone , it reveals some of the huge costs of putting on meetings at Gisborne , they were fortunate , they had sold most of  the land and didn't have to worry about paying rates , they sold the land because it wasn't viable to keep operating as a full racecourse .

The sooner this restructure is completed the better off the survivors will be .

10 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

They pile into these smaller venues because they are one offs , usually on a prime day in the summer time , try racing 3 Saturdays in a row at these venues and see who turns up then . This restructure that's now unavoidable will attempt to create a viable  long term industry , it will be smaller , no escaping that but hopefully profitable .

Now you must have read the post Gizzy gone , it reveals some of the huge costs of putting on meetings at Gisborne , they were fortunate , they had sold most of  the land and didn't have to worry about paying rates , they sold the land because it wasn't viable to keep operating as a full racecourse .

A racemeeting should be thought of as an outlet for publicizing various commercial activities. Because RITA/NZTR are married to the concept of income only from gambling they fail to see the wider picture.

Concentrating venues means less exposure for these commercial  activities. Dropping radio is one less outlet where advertising and promotion could occur. Similarly cutting out various parts of the country makes any input from businesses less appealing. Its a domino effect. Once the dominoes start falling they will keep falling. Pity that all the business bigwigs leave their skills at home when they involve themselves with racing.

1 hour ago, tripple alliance said:

That may be true, but they do the same at the larger venues, Karaka Million about the only race day guaranteed a crowd the rest a shameful demonstration of apathy from an industry run by arrogance and haphazard leadership! The important point here is , at least they go to these meetings, because they can't be bothered going to the other race meetings at the major tracks! i've been to the last 4 oaks day , Derby Days all pathetic crowds given the circumstances.

Tell me more about Gisborne, seems to me they chose to fund those race days themselves out of their own pockets. So how is that saving money for the industry? in fact how is it doing any good at all getting rid of it if they funded it themselves, give them the race days put some targets in place for them to meet (that won't happen because if the same happened at major tracks it would be an embarrassment!) if they don't they lose the race days, same goes for the major centres. NZTR are so silly they think by reducing venues the horses will automatically reappear somewhere else, but then they don't care you can be sure of that.

The centralisation of racing won't work, its come about because of visionless , cluesless lazy leadership with people like you that believe the hype and bollocks they attempt to sell.

In business if the customer tells you what they want, so you give it to them. In NZracing business style you tell the customer what they want, take away from them what they want and then wonder why they don't want what you attempted to give them, then find something to blame.