RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

230 TAB staff given marching orders - leaders still there

4 minutes ago, uneasy said:

Look in the mirror and read the last five words of the first line of NOMATES statement, then do it again and again till you understand what is said!

Some people don't understand or don't want to comprehend. The AWT at Riccarton HAS NOTHING to do with RITA the  $20million for 2 tracks is from the Government PDF and is only to assist paying $10million for each track at Riccarton and Awapuni which will go ahead. If not used for AWT not available for any other use, do you understand that!!!!

If they go ahead is the government PDF going to help with on going maintenance and eventual replacement . Can CJC and RACE really financially commit to the $3mil each just to get them built ? . Are these really the panacea that NZ racing has been looking for ? . And if you believe so could you enlighten me and the other naysayers as to why .

1 minute ago, Stables said:

Nomates, why don't you stop being chicken licken, the skys not going to fall in

Ok you tell me why i'm being chicken licken , then answer they same question i have asked uneasy as to why you believe the A/W's are going to save NZ racing .

5 minutes ago, nomates said:

If they go ahead is the government PDF going to help with on going maintenance and eventual replacement . Can CJC and RACE really financially commit to the $3mil each just to get them built ? . Are these really the panacea that NZ racing has been looking for ? . And if you believe so could you enlighten me and the other naysayers as to why .

The big worry isn't so much the ongoing costs, its who is going to be running them out there in clubland..

4 minutes ago, Huey said:

The big worry isn't so much the ongoing costs, its who is going to be running them out there in clubland..

Well that's another question , but for me it worries me that going forward who is going to stump up maintenance and replacement costs . What are those costs and are they just going to suck up any financial windfall they may have if any . Lots of questions to be asked and answered and if the these questions been asked and answered then why and by whom and why are they not being put out publicly

36 minutes ago, uneasy said:

Look in the mirror and read the last five words of the first line of NOMATES statement, then do it again and again till you understand what is said!

Some people don't understand or don't want to comprehend. The AWT at Riccarton HAS NOTHING to do with RITA the  $20million for 2 tracks is from the Government PDF and is only to assist paying $10million for each track at Riccarton and Awapuni which will go ahead. If not used for AWT not available for any other use, do you understand that!!!!

I am aware where money is coming from , like tab the all weather is the taxpayer handout . However Iam  not convinced that  Riccarton have the required funds to maintain the track, relay the track in 15  or so years or the ability to fund their part , if they have why is the place such a poor , windswept failing down racecourse .What's gone wrong ? 

Right

Riccarton will have its AWT sooner than later.

It will greatly enhance local training and trials, no need for Rangiora or Motukarara they will be gone. Ashburton will be the secondary track in Canterbury, unfortunately Timaru (Phar Lap) has a very questionable future. I don't necessarily agree with this. 

More race days will be allocated to Riccarton as other venues are shut down. As a local based trainer I have always been very open in my support of an AWT at Riccarton, I have also been open in my criticism of Riccarton when softish tracks are produced. An AWT will provide a more consistent surface for both racing and training. It will not suit all horses and the grass track, course proper, will always be there for our summer racing. I have no doubt Riccarton is the best firm track in NZ and when produced in this state we have very good racing, when presented like it was during the middle day of last Cup Meeting it is not. 

From a local trainers perspective and on behalf of the owners we train for I can see considerable savings in transport costs with more race days at Riccarton and regular trial days. Riccarton has room to develop more stabling facilities and an increase in training numbers will assist with covering costs of maintenance etc. I'm no course manager but it must be easier to harrow, grade or whatever an AWT track than patching and growing grass tracks as they do now when we get rain and the plough is not able to be used, our grass training tracks do get plenty of use.

1 minute ago, uneasy said:

Right

It will greatly enhance local training and trials, no need for Rangiora or Motukarara they will be gone. Ashburton will be the secondary track in Canterbury, unfortunately Timaru (Phar Lap) has a very questionable future. I don't necessarily agree with this. 

More race days will be allocated to Riccarton as other venues are shut down. As a local based trainer I have always been very open in my support of an AWT at Riccarton, I have also been open in my criticism of Riccarton when softish tracks are produced. An AWT will provide a more consistent surface for both racing and training. It will not suit all horses and the grass track, course proper, will always be there for our summer racing. I have no doubt Riccarton is the best firm track in NZ and when produced in this state we have very good racing, when presented like it was during the middle day of last Cup Meeting it is not. 

From a local trainers perspective and on behalf of the owners we train for I can see considerable savings in transport costs with more race days at Riccarton and regular trial days. Riccarton has room to develop more stabling facilities and an increase in training numbers will assist with covering costs of maintenance etc. I'm no course manager but it must be easier to harrow, grade or whatever an AWT track than patching and growing grass tracks as they do now when we get rain and the plough is not able to be used, our grass training tracks do get plenty of use.

OK,  I will believe it when I see it .

I don't mind AWTs it's not the angle iam coming from , I have punted on them for years , attended meeting all over with all different surfaces , watched plenty go up gallops in morning at Newmarket over years  so I know if laid well they are fine , in fact Prescott uses them rather than grass gallops . When   trainers like Gosden and Prescott who use them in training and raceday with no issues  they must have something going for them , Pinatubo had a racecourse gallop on poly at Chelmsford to prep for Guineas next week so imho poly is good from what I've seen and read .

However NZ racing is potless , will it be a millstone round it's neck going into a shambles like the rest of Riccarton racecourse . The racing itself is pretty good imho , I like the track but the facilities are miserable .

6 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

I am aware where money is coming from , like tab the all weather is the taxpayer handout . However Iam  not convinced that  Riccarton have the required funds to maintain the track, relay the track in 15  or so years or the ability to fund their part , if they have why is the place such a poor , windswept failing down racecourse .What's gone wrong ? 

The wind has nothing to do with the management at Riccarton, the public grandstand has been banned following earthquakes and is awaiting an insurance payout. There is nothing wrong with facilities otherwise. On most days the main members stand is open for general public and this is proving very popular with those able to attend, the other bars facilities are comparable to other tracks if not better and the corporate boxes are booked out most days, so they are popular. When do you last go to Riccarton Park.

35 minutes ago, uneasy said:

My last 5 words " they seem completely out of touch " was in reference to the loss of radio coverage , no print coverage in papers or form guides , no form reference on the TAB site , all on top of no free to air racing coverage , so now basically asking the punter , the TAB's clients , to bet blind . Along with RITA cutting 30% staff for only a 16% reduction in finances but as yet none of the team that were part of the team on the $50mil FOB farce . I along with many others in racing , not just on this forum , believe " they seem completely out of touch " . Do you agree with everything above ,  that RITA has done to make life for punters , the financial life blood of NZ racing , as hard as possible .

3 minutes ago, uneasy said:

The wind has nothing to do with the management at Riccarton, the public grandstand has been banned following earthquakes and is awaiting an insurance payout. There is nothing wrong with facilities otherwise. On most days the main members stand is open for general public and this is proving very popular with those able to attend, the other bars facilities are comparable to other tracks if not better and the corporate boxes are booked out most days, so they are popular. When do you last go to Riccarton Park.

December , has it been re decorated ?

5 minutes ago, uneasy said:

Comparable to what tracks ? 

What the food options like for public ? A few food carts , I don't mind a hot dog and chips but honestly it's years behind most tracks in OZ or most other places . Years .

9 minutes ago, uneasy said:

Right

Alright for everyone at Riccarton top class training track to use all year round with the AWT and more racedays for  locals to use but from an industry point of view how many will be lost to the industry when you lose those local training centres around the South Island as it will happen as if you not in or near those bigger centres  you will have no racing and as Uneasy will know from his travels there are plenty of people out there attached to the industry.

19 minutes ago, uneasy said:

And there was me thinking our racing minister said they were to ensure that NZ racing lost no more meetings to inclement weather and the revenue that was lost due to their abandonments . But your first point is regarding Trialing and Training , No vested interest there .

1 minute ago, Red Rum said:

OK,  I will believe it when I see it .

I don't mind AWTs it's not the angle iam coming from , I have punted on them for years , attended meeting all over with all different surfaces , watched plenty go up gallops in morning at Newmarket over years  so I know if laid well they are fine , in fact Prescott uses them rather than grass gallops . When   trainers like Gosden and Prescott who use them in training and raceday with no issues  they must have something going for them , Pinatubo had a racecourse gallop on poly at Chelmsford to prep for Guineas next week so imho poly is good from what I've seen and read .

However NZ racing is potless , will it be a millstone round it's neck going into a shambles like the rest of Riccarton racecourse . The racing itself is pretty good imho , I like the track but the facilities are miserable .

I agree with many of your comments, having spent considerable time at Newmarket with Enzo's Lad where he did a lot of work on their AWT I am a huge fan. On the last day at Ascot I was in the company of many of the very best trainers in England during a luncheon and I spoke with Gosden and Haggis at length and they were very positive about the use and future of AWT's

I attend every race day at Riccarton and have done so for more than 60 years I don't agree with your final comment.

2 minutes ago, uneasy said:

I agree with many of your comments, having spent considerable time at Newmarket with Enzo's Lad where he did a lot of work on their AWT I am a huge fan. On the last day at Ascot I was in the company of many of the very best trainers in England during a luncheon and I spoke with Gosden and Haggis at length and they were very positive about the use and future of AWT's

I attend every race day at Riccarton and have done so for more than 60 years I don't agree with your final comment.

Fair enough , we are not here to agree with everything . I go Riccarton regularly , I want it to survive but I'd be worried the track will suck them dry in the long term . 

Again ive got no issues at all backing on them, look at Ballarat and Pakenham , they seem to go well there , win from front , back, midfield , Awapuni might be a very short straight so wouldn't be overkeen there I put up with the frustration at the Valley because I love the course  , Riccarton should have decent run in .

I've got my doubts , but I would rather be proved wrong and in 15 years racing here is flying , with some bloody paper form I can hold onto at track , or at least a black and white racebook , nothing flash .

8 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

What the food options like for public ? A few food carts , I don't mind a hot dog and chips but honestly it's years behind most tracks in OZ or most other places . Years .

Have you ever put pen to paper and written to the CJC about your issues with food, etc, If so (and I doubt you have) what was the reply. I am not disagreeing with you here but have you. Food is generally good in the members, overlooking the birdcage area, which is open to the public more often than it is not

22 minutes ago, uneasy said:

Have you ever put pen to paper and written to the CJC about your issues with food, etc, If so (and I doubt you have) what was the reply. I am not disagreeing with you here but have you. Food is generally good in the members, overlooking the birdcage area, which is open to the public more often than it is not

I haven't,  however I was under the impression they were potless . That old  stand i liked for viewing  but again was in need of a fair  lick of paint .The wooden steps were worse for wear , bits were failing off stair rails , ive seen a trainer in the euthoria of winning knock a bit off the top of the steps handrail as it crumbled , the concrete area is worse for wear at some points around the edges  .Now it appears they have millions , therefore next time I am allowed in I will make an up to date assessment and write in to the CEO  .

49 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Balmerino luncheon is very good value and cabinet food on ground floor members is Couplands fare which is good

Outside hot dogs and chips and a coffee caravan, they belong in the 70s

Real issue is no one goes and no food provider would set up to serve 200 people on course, no sense in being involved, a financial disaster. 

I would be more worried about lack of public support if I was CJC. 

Been going to Riccarton for 60 years and still enjoy but sad to see it a shadow of days before and an AWT track won't produce a dollar of extra income, sorry Pitty but that's the reality but the training benefits etc another debate but as a business I am sure it will not be effective

Tommy T

6 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

Balmerino luncheon is very good value and cabinet food on ground floor members is Couplands fare which is good

Outside hot dogs and chips and a coffee caravan, they belong in the 70s

Real issue is no one goes and no food provider would set up to serve 200 people on course, no sense in being involved, a financial disaster. 

I would be more worried about lack of public support if I was CJC. 

Been going to Riccarton for 60 years and still enjoy but sad to see it a shadow of days before and an AWT track won't produce a dollar of extra income, sorry Pitty but that's the reality but the training benefits etc another debate but as a business I am sure it will not be effective

Tommy T

TT , I like the racing there it's fair , produces great finishes  but agree the food tracks are 1970s , us hardened punters turn up and put up with it , but it's just not going to cut it to get new blood in , with so little Shop window now , how do they get fresh blood , I just cannot see the in for them bar BGP . 

44 minutes ago, uneasy said:

Obviously you are very involved with Riccarton  Uneasy , can you tell me if a racebook will be provided once racing is open to the public again at Riccarton ? , not free like Addington do , iam prepared to pay but will there be any to buy ?

23 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

TT , I like the racing there it's fair , produces great finishes  but agree the food tracks are 1970s , us hardened punters turn up and put up with it , but it's just not going to cut it to get new blood in , with so little Shop window now , how do they get fresh blood , I just cannot see the in for them bar BGP . 

My children are mid 30s grew up in a racing involved family

Cup Day Riccarton and Addington they attend, Winter Cup Day Riccarton, a family tradition Balmerino Luncheon and they attend. 

They punt Melbourne Cup day. 

They find the average race day too long in time with no atmosphere and just for you old folk. It doesn't work for them. 

Interesting both non drinkers so getting slammed not their agenda. 

Randwick, sub 35 years area with a band kicking in 5 minutes after the last in the sunken parade birdcage out the back, when I left on a recent trip there were 500 young ones dancing up having a ball. Great to see. And at Flemington on Super Saturday in March a similar thing in HQ under the Hill Stand after the last. A reason for the young ones to go. 

We are babes here relying on tradition, but we are old and dying

6 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

My children are mid 30s grew up in a racing involved family

Cup Day Riccarton and Addington they attend, Winter Cup Day Riccarton, a family tradition Balmerino Luncheon and they attend. 

They punt Melbourne Cup day. 

They find the average race day too long in time with no atmosphere and just for you old folk. It doesn't work for them. 

Interesting both non drinkers so getting slammed not their agenda. 

Randwick, sub 35 years area with a band kicking in 5 minutes after the last in the sunken parade birdcage out the back, when I left on a recent trip there were 500 young ones dancing up having a ball. Great to see. And at Flemington on Super Saturday in March a similar thing in HQ under the Hill Stand after the last. A reason for the young ones to go. 

We are babes here relying on tradition, but we are old and dying

They had to limit numbers in UK for the summer evening racemeetings followed by concerts , it was getting too popular . Newmarket , Sandown have some high profile acts during summer ( not this year though!!!) 

1 hour ago, uneasy said:

It's a privilege to race there , the upkeep is magnificent and if Riccarton benefits from others closing then that's ok with me , its time to recognize change must happen , the choice has gone .

Those who haven't moved with the times have much to answer for , the clubs who have refused to budge are a disgrace but what else would you expect , most are pensioners who revel in the past .

The time has arrived to build an industry that fit's with the younger generation , promotions that promote and deliver a high class , quality day out .

People want more than a boring , wet day with no atmosphere  , racing must go upmarket , charge  for what's on offer and hope the younger generation has a punt , I  hope it's not to late but I  fear it is .