RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

HRNZ vision Statement

Tasman Man.I didn't say it doesn't cost anything for the TAB to move around but the cost is minor compared to the $17 million I hear they have to pay each year for running the site.I hope you are right about Addington and that fields are even and the betting public don't get sick of the same old thing each week.Time will tell.Rural breeders,owners and trainers will still be leaving though with no local meetings.

It's interesting the number of horses trailing at present,maybe we can learn something.....sometimes a spell for a while is good  to  rejuvenate so will wall to wall racing become boring and repetitive ?that's where a  different venue now and then just adds variety,

1 hour ago, eljay said:

Only just under a week to first harness meeting (at Addington).    They need patrons on course with smiley ladies behind the betting counters.      Not a word about this from the pooh bahs.    Tomorrow "she" will announce loosening on gathering numbers (cafes, bars, church services, funerals etc.) but not a word on racing meetings or trials you can guarantee.      Most of those groups who  will get relief are those who have been making a "noise" over the last 1 or 2 weeks.      Silence from racing.     People at the races keeping  whatever separations are required are no different from people 1 metre apart in cafe & bars.       But it is typical of an industry who have big fat asses and are very good at sitting on them.

Be a little hopeful eljay.......young Andrew from down south said on a FB post that Harness had put in a proposal to stress the ease of social distance for stakeholders to attend live racing .Hopefully they will realise this and understand that those that 'pluck the duck' should be and want to be at the event where there are acres of space.

And surely the TAB / betting machines need a presence as well.

10 x sports people are allowed to have rugby practise.....very rarely do you see rucks and mauls at the races these days .And you wouldn't with 400 people !

But I guess the PM is in control and clearly wants to go down in history as the 'greatest curve squasher ever' despite the fact that 70 other countries or territories have actually done better !

Around 300 trialled off top of head..     No races so they at trials/workouts

If 3 meetings under normal times need over 250 - quite a few of those at trials were unqualified so no more around really.          Certainly nothing really to get excited about!

I'm curious to see what effort Cambridge makes to add interest when they host the 1st post-covid meeting. Will be challenging! The majority of horses up here are trained on public tracks so most horses a couple of months away from race fit. 

Tasman Man.I didn't say it doesn't cost anything for the TAB to move around but the cost is minor compared to the $17 million I hear they have to pay each year for running the site.I hope you are right about Addington and that fields are even and the betting public don't get sick of the same old thing each week.Time will tell.Rural breeders,owners and trainers will still be leaving though with no local meetings.

T  man, you don't just decide to run a couple of meetings when a region  33% of Nz closes down. There is no opportunity to do that.There are a lot of things happening so no ones crying or giving up and as for Stables you amaze me because if you are as successful as you say in your own lunchtime you would have empathy with trainers who are hurting but getting on with life. Your offhanded comments such as "forbury gone " and give up Manawatu....gone. when a month battle is on.. I have found all harness racing trainers/drivers even owners all fierce competitors on the track but go to great lengths to help each other off track .this is a universal code which you appear to lack.. that's why I  find you unlike all other trotting people I have come across since the 1960s(first winner Sun King claudelands 1970 paid 50/1)

1 hour ago, john legend said:

T  man, you don't just decide to run a couple of meetings when a region  33% of Nz closes down. There is no opportunity to do that.There are a lot of things happening so no ones crying or giving up and as for Stables you amaze me because if you are as successful as you say in your own lunchtime you would have empathy with trainers who are hurting but getting on with life. Your offhanded comments such as "forbury gone " and give up Manawatu....gone. when a month battle is on.. I have found all harness racing trainers/drivers even owners all fierce competitors on the track but go to great lengths to help each other off track .this is a universal code which you appear to lack.. that's why I  find you unlike all other trotting people I have come across since the 1960s(first winner Sun King claudelands 1970 paid 50/1)

Conversely John ,you can't expect things to carry on as usual when the Industry is insolvent...can't pay the Bills. Changes had been in the pipeline for a few years with closing tracks and programming changes highly unlikely.

A lot of work , as in independent reports had been produced and the economic impact re jobs ,people , finance ,participation etc was well researched and changes were imminent.

Then when Co-vid came things got desperate quickly.......IMO Manawatu was very vulnerable as one stable from South was supplying a high % of starters and at the height of Virus inter-island transport was banned.Although this seen as temporary it still was a concern ,along with the general shortage of horses in the North.

I still believe there is a chance for a reprieve for Manawatu if they submit for some dual code meetings with doggies ,when the TAB on hand and maybe some dual code with gallops as they do in early January.

Things aren't yet set in stone and recently there was some change in  thinking e.g. some of the closed courses had recently received Upgrade grants for various things.

12 hours ago, Stables said:

It's not a stupid argument at all. It is increasigly more difficult to find people to race horses. The main reason for this is the shear cost of racing, the travel costs, the accomodation costs for trainers and drivers and the high cost of training fees. If people can race horses at their local meeting, for good stakes  then more owners will be happy to continue to race a horse

Plenty of accommodation available at places other than hotels & motels, try Booking.com, Airbnb much cheaper & friendlier options, often with off street parking. No reason horses can't stay in places within cities either, some of those offering such accommodation probably quite enjoy being up close & personal to a horse ...plenty of grass growing on Auckland's hills to graze on...Those unelected manga authority members across NZ need kick up pants & we need our graziers back looking after them.

6 hours ago, eljay said:

Only just under a week to first harness meeting (at Addington).    They need patrons on course with smiley ladies behind the betting counters.      Not a word about this from the pooh bahs.    Tomorrow "she" will announce loosening on gathering numbers (cafes, bars, church services, funerals etc.) but not a word on racing meetings or trials you can guarantee.      Most of those groups who  will get relief are those who have been making a "noise" over the last 1 or 2 weeks.      Silence from racing.     People at the races keeping  whatever separations are required are no different from people 1 metre apart in cafe & bars.       But it is typical of an industry who have big fat asses and are very good at sitting on them.

Racing are within there rights to open tracks to whoever wants to attend.

It's only if one has an Infectious disease that social distancing applies.

Read Public Health Act & that of Racecourse licence to operate  in the premises they are. They were given permission to operate in the capacity they were , with whatever number of people the maximum is, as an example our local supermarket has a maximum of 90 people allowed on the premises based on store size, racecourses are much bigger & open spaces.

No Government, nor it's public health advisors have the right to deny anyone the right to freedom unless it's a serious threat to society.

So long as those who are unwell stay away until they recover anyone should be permitted to attend a racecourse & go about their private business.

Taxcinda & her small team, failed in their Duty of Care to society by shutting everyone down when there was no lawful need to.

T Man, I do respect your feelings, However the House show has been positive andhas also been used as a trojan horse to damage the clubs argument for a healthy future. the Club has raced successfully since 1959 and had role as central districts main facility once demise of Wellingtons Hutt Park in 1995 MH appeared in last 3 years and did scare off some trainers coming from other areas which were reg supporters. Without MH these will return so it is not the death knell that may appear from outsiders.Best thing Mr House is to set up stable on course Palmerston North. makes sense(cents) .

On 4/23/2020 at 8:32 AM, JJ Flash said:

9 hours ago, meomy said:

No Government, nor it's public health advisors have the right to deny anyone the right to freedom unless it's a serious threat to society.

So long as those who are unwell stay away until they recover anyone should be permitted to attend a racecourse & go about their private business. 

Look who has been reading misleading US web pages. This virus IS a serious threat to society. The whole problem with Covid-19 is that you are infectious days before you develop symptoms and you kill innocent people you come in contact with.  Lots of us owners are in the vulnerable age group. We are only a week or two away from being able to see our horses race.  So hang in there and stop spreading nasty dangerous misinformation.

nelli, it's not misinformation we are spreading at all, have a read of facts we have placed in Thoroughbred section & main street as to methodologies & documents relied on that have been seen to be incorrect across the globe.

Siouxsie Wiles and her narcissists have much to answer for.

Reflect back on the Foot & mouth outbreak, circa 2001, and other cases where scaremongering & serious damage to society have taken place, it's the same idiot scientists who have created this mess.

Sometimes one needs to look off shore to see how others are addressing the lawfulness of the handling of this whole situation and who is involved without accountability.

That twit here Mike BAKER is a long time close friend of Phil Tywford....

btw, also look up EVALI in the USA, PHILIP MORRIS v JUUL, Philip Morris v BAT as that's where the whole chain of events goes back to, the tobacco industry.

Everyone is entitled to opinions, but data and careful controlled observations are what science is based on. I much prefer to rely on the latter. There will always be people who say smoking causes no harm, seatbelts get in the way,  and don't vaccinate your kids. Its your individual choice even if the taxpayer and health system has to pick up the pieces.

On 5/24/2020 at 10:04 AM, Stables said:

It's not a stupid argument at all. It is increasigly more difficult to find people to race horses. The main reason for this is the shear cost of racing, the travel costs, the accomodation costs for trainers and drivers and the high cost of training fees. If people can race horses at their local meeting, for good stakes  then more owners will be happy to continue to race a horse

You hit it on the nail there "good stakes' . With the bad/ excessive administration costs at NZRB / Rita the clubs have not got the support in raisig the stakes for owners ( the bill payers). Even this week most winning checks will be under 5k and then they only get 85% of that. With training fees in access of 2k a month travelling costs don't  help but not the major contribution  to the bill. Having to go to Auckland/Cambridge for Manawatu trainers week  in , week out will just put owners off and get out of the game. Not a good senario .

Once again, as I've previously stated, there are very few trainers in the manawatu region, most of whom train only one or two horses. They have 2 options, move or send their horses to another trainer