RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Justitia

Your Solution for Racing

I have been doing a lot of reading during covid mostly about racing.  We must not forget WHY the New Zealand Racing Board (now RITA) was set up in the first place  -
  Racing Act 2003
                    8   Objectives of Board.     
                        The objectives of the Board are
                        (a) to promote the racing industry; and
                        (b) to facilitate and promote racing betting and sports betting; and 
                        (c) to maximise its profits for the long-term benefit of New Zealand racing. 

So, my solution for racing is made up of ideas read (some radical) and basic business sense  -
1     RITA - Replace by a board consisting of 1 member from each code, 1 from sport and 1 independent (Accountant or Lawyer). I read a
                  suggestion of no chairman and that each member takes turns chairing meetings.  This would also be cost effective.
2     TAB - Outsource with stipulation that a certain percentage of every dollar be returned to the board for distribution to codes & sport.
                  Much as I am reluctant to get rid of a Kiwi Icon I consider it is not functioning as intended.
                  Platform is unreliable in present form with limited understanding of customers needs.  
                  Management and expenses are unsupportable and suggested savings are only a short term stopgap, very short term at that.
3     Trackside - One office in Wellington to run the country.  Limited salary positions with contract labor servicing racedays.  Contractors 
                  are totally cost effective in the long term and rates are negotiable.   This works very successfully for Sky TV  which is a much larger organization.
                  Reintroduce free-to-air  -  Helps to capture new customers and caters to biggest age group percentage of punters
4     Trackside Radio - to continue     
5     No CEOs  ( Catastrophically Expensive Overhead )  -   Can be replaced by a manager of Trackside answerable to the board.
6     No Bonuses or equivalent  
So what is your solution ?          No negative comments please and stick to subject.

7 hours ago, Justitia said:
 I have been doing a lot of reading during covid mostly about racing.  We must not forget WHY the New Zealand Racing Board (now RITA) was set up in the first place  -
  Racing Act 2003
                    8   Objectives of Board.     
                        The objectives of the Board are
                        (a) to promote the racing industry; and
                        (b) to facilitate and promote racing betting and sports betting; and 
                        (c) to maximise its profits for the long-term benefit of New Zealand racing. 

So, my solution for racing is made up of ideas read (some radical) and basic business sense  -
1     RITA - Replace by a board consisting of 1 member from each code, 1 from sport and 1 independent (Accountant or Lawyer). I read a
                  suggestion of no chairman and that each member takes turns chairing meetings.  This would also be cost effective.
2     TAB - Outsource with stipulation that a certain percentage of every dollar be returned to the board for distribution to codes & sport.
                  Much as I am reluctant to get rid of a Kiwi Icon I consider it is not functioning as intended.
                  Platform is unreliable in present form with limited understanding of customers needs.  
                  Management and expenses are unsupportable and suggested savings are only a short term stopgap, very short term at that.
3     Trackside - One office in Wellington to run the country.  Limited salary positions with contract labor servicing racedays.  Contractors 
                  are totally cost effective in the long term and rates are negotiable.   This works very successfully for Sky TV  which is a much larger organization.
                  Reintroduce free-to-air  -  Helps to capture new customers and caters to biggest age group percentage of punters
4     Trackside Radio - to continue     
5     No CEOs  ( Catastrophically Expensive Overhead )  -   Can be replaced by a manager of Trackside answerable to the board.
6     No Bonuses or equivalent  
So what is your solution ?          No negative comments please and stick to subject.

The above is one side of the equation , First and foremost NZTR in conjunction with the wider racing industry needs to get the product right . Sort out the tracks , handicapping (ratings system ) , programming , stakes , grow ownership , promote , promote , promote . Get this right first or nothing else will matter . The industry leaders will just continue to shrink the product to fit the available financial position . Ever decreasing circles . 

1 hour ago, nomates said:

The above is one side of the equation , First and foremost NZTR in conjunction with the wider racing industry needs to get the product right . Sort out the tracks , handicapping (ratings system ) , programming , stakes , grow ownership , promote , promote , promote . Get this right first or nothing else will matter . The industry leaders will just continue to shrink the product to fit the available financial position . Ever decreasing circles . 

Very sensible. It is rather unfair to blame rita for the problems with thoroughbred racing. Most of their problems are of their own making.

32 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

What about pokies ?

They’re the industries most profitable division now, shouldn’t there be a board representative from the pokie players community ?

Someone of ethnic extraction, homeless, with four kids who have no food to eat, and no shoes to wear to school, on the two days a week they do go to school because Mummy only has money for the bus occasionally 

That’s your industry, that’s what it’s been reduced to, the exploitation of the vulnerable to fund the Racing Incompetence Unit 

Don't forget,they must''Be Kind''.

Seems perfectly reasonable, but when did that ever apply  to racing in NZ.The only criticism is that you would need exceptional people to do these jobs and if they do exist they could just as easily implement the current plan.In Aus it was messara and vlandis that shook things up and the lack of progress here  in following a proven blueprint for success, (just follow the dotted line ffs )makes me think no one in NZ is right for the job   no one