RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Ken Rutherford's way forward - and it won't go down well with everyone

Covid19 has presented the racing industry with one of its greatest challenges in its 150 year lifetime. Without today’s announcement, the industry faced the serious prospect of confining all those years of New Zealand culture to the history books.

With TAB customer numbers down 35 percent, monthly revenue down almost 50 percent frompre-Covid forecasts and continued uncertainty for a full resumption of racing and sport, the support provides a much needed lifeline to ensure the TAB can come out of this and continue to generate critical revenue for racing and sport in NZ.

https://www.rita.org.nz/government-support-package-statement-executive-chair-dean-mckenzie

Good that Dean acknowledges underlying problems, but let's deal with them. 

Slashing media, radio and no return of TV, no on course sellers and fewer presenters is simply playing with the fringes and has destroyed their marketing. No new punters from there 

Attack the real issue the ludicrous running costs, specifically the excessive wage bill at the top end. Let's start with a voluntary significant % wage cut, say 20% then they will get buy in from the few punters left paying the way. 

Move it

THE BEST WAY TO GET NEW ENTRANTS TO HORSE RACING IS THROUGH ON TRACK EXPERIENCES, THATS WHERE I GOT MY FIRST TASTE AND MOST PROBABLY WOULD SAY THE SAME, SO BY CLOSING HALF THE COUNTRY DOWN THOSE PEOPLE IN THOSE AREAS WONT GET INTERESTED,MEANING LESS PEOPLE BOTHERING AND CREATING A DOWNWARD SPIRAL

PS, SORRY ABOUT BIG LETTERS BUT I TYPED THIS ALL IN BY MISTAKE AND CANT BE BOTHERED CHANGING IT NOW OK.

17 hours ago, Stables said:

It will happen within 3 months Red Rum

What's a VPN ? ,  do some people use them. I've heard something about them but iam no techie .

Iam sure DIA will be all over it , like all others matters pertaining to Internet crime , and passport fraud , pokie fraud etc etc etc , it will be top list no doubt .

If iam reading it right 12th Aug Parliament dissolves , I doubt anything will get through by then relating to offshore betting , I doubt the techs coming over to tell Riccarton how to make an AWT will get to NZ shores any time soon either . So nothing at all will be happening bar the money transfer to Paddy Power .

55 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

What's a VPN ? ,  do some people use them. I've heard something about them but iam no techie .

Iam sure DIA will be all over it , like all others matters pertaining to Internet crime , and passport fraud , pokie fraud etc etc etc , it will be top list no doubt .

VPN is a virtual private network Red Rum. They allow you to access international websites that are not accessible in your own country. They are very popular in China where Google and Facebook are not accessible to the public there. 

1 hour ago, CT"s said:

VPN is a virtual private network Red Rum. They allow you to access international websites that are not accessible in your own country. They are very popular in China where Google and Facebook are not accessible to the public there. 

You mean to say , people work their way through blocks !!!!! , people find ways around a system !!!!  No it will be stopped by Rita , what security forces of large countries cannot do , Rita will do hahahaha. 

1 hour ago, TurnyTom said:

VPNs will make life very difficult for the Tab if they arrogantly try to dictate. 

A better option might be for them to get their own house in order 

Proved again today , it just won't happen, I'll bet with anyone , except them.

I hated the thought of betfair , however here I am , laying away....

I wonder if the government and IRD realise that the tab now restrict ‘winning’ punters to win peanuts, when they decide whether to ban kiwis from betting overseas. I’m certainly not a big punter and I’m probably only a few k up on the tab over the last few years but I can’t get set for a half decent bet here, so if I can’t bet overseas then I’m stuffed and I know I’m not the only punter in this position

I have read Ken Rutherford's article several times now.

I think the most pertinent point is that "when he commenced setting fixed odds in 2001 it was run by passionate people in it more for the love of the game than the money."

Then over the next 19 years the TAB has morphed into a huge bureaucratic empire run by highly educated people there for the money, not for the love of the game.  I have seen it so many times in so many areas.  ENTHUSIASM.  It is very difficult to build it up.  It is a piece of piss to destroy it.  And the ever burgeoning bureaucracy destroyed it.  This cancer has grown on the TAB body ever so slowly over the past 19 years and I fear it is a terminal illness.  The incremental growth of that cancer has been so slow and so prolonged that people like me did not step up and say, twelve years ago;'

"Put a stop to this idiocy right bloody now, you imbeciles."