RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Ken Rutherford's way forward - and it won't go down well with everyone

12 minutes ago, wobbly said:

Nomates...my mail was KR was rope and tied by a puppet post at WRC.

Shouldn't knock a man for wanting to better his lot...and for his family

I'll defer to your greater knowledge , i can only comment on what i see and hear , in this instance my mail . But i loved him as a cricketer .

4 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

I think they have 6 meetings planned there , but I could very well have misread something .

Cambridge trial form is generally regarded by pro punters as worthless (great for weasel bloodstock agents to undermine our industry overseas though!)...imagine how AW racing on same velodrome track is going to wow the punters. Likely the worst single NZTR decision I've seen in my time in racing!

6 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Totally agree with Ken that we should be taking measures to stop leakage to Australian and other offshore betting agencies. Bemused by owners who complain about stakes yet do most of their betting offshore. I am an owner and bet exclusively with our TAB.

Why?

49 minutes ago, Stables said:

Why doesn't someone offer him Dean McKenzie's job

Why doesn’t Dean McKenzie quit?? He is simply out of his business depth and knowledge.

The longer he stays the shorter racing in NZ will survive.

An aggressive and ruthless leader is what is required, first and foremost, not a shoulder tapped egotist.

2 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Totally agree with Ken that we should be taking measures to stop leakage to Australian and other offshore betting agencies. Bemused by owners who complain about stakes yet do most of their betting offshore. I am an owner and bet exclusively with our TAB.

I concur with your second point Gubellini...it doesn't stack up fiscally but I bet exclusively with NZTAB as a self-imposed moral tax whilst I'm racing and developing horses here in NZ.

15 minutes ago, gubellini said:

I also bet exclusively with the NZ Tab , i have also known a large number of people over the last 15 or so years who no longer bet with the NZ Tab because they increased minimum wagers on phone bet , then removed phone operators , then removed free to air racing and have now removed the ability to just listen to a race on the radio . Maybe if they had stopped putting in place measures that inhibited betting thru their agency they wouldn't have to worry so much about offshore leakage . The biggest issue around stakes hasn't been how much the TAB has made but the decisions around how the profit has been spent , owners wouldn't have had to worry about stakes if so much wasn't chewed up up in running costs and inflated egotistical projects .

5 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Ken is spot on in what he saying here. 

Everyone in the industry should be inundating RITA by emailing this article to them.

So what sort of quality will Tab provide with a monopoly and block on anyone betting overseas , Ive got a feeling they will get fat and lazy again and turn punters off the game by producing poor products , no effort to improve and sit on their date .

2 minutes ago, nomates said:

I also bet exclusively with the NZ Tab , i have also known a large number of people over the last 15 or so years who no longer bet with the NZ Tab because they increased minimum wagers on phone bet , then removed phone operators , then removed free to air racing and have now removed the ability to just listen to a race on the radio . Maybe if they had stopped putting in place measures that inhibited betting thru their agency they wouldn't have to worry so much about offshore leakage . The biggest issue around stakes hasn't been how much the TAB has made but the decisions around how the profit has been spent , owners wouldn't have had to worry about stakes if so much wasn't chewed up up in running costs and inflated egotistical projects .

100% Correct nomates!
It isn't Rocket Science although it seems so to the Suits that have been running the show!!
They need a fucking rocket..... a skud missle !

41 minutes ago, gubellini said:

It's kind of odd , he couldn't have account while employed at the TAB so it must have been while employed elsewhere he had Tab account  ,   so was he employed in industry here when he stopped supporting the industry here  by closing his account , did he  then  use an offshore account ? . If he was offshore at the time , was he using his NZ account thereby using his NZ Account offshore , shouldn't he if that was case be using the services of the country he was resident in if that's the case. These questions would clarify if Ken walks the walk or expects others to do so .

43 minutes ago, gubellini said:

I am an owner as well with 3 horses currently and haven’t placed a single bet with the TAB since before lockdown, I would be completely nuts to have done so considering how terrible the % offering has been on Australian Racing. 
Stinging those blindly loyal under some guise of saving NZ Racing and the TAB fails to address the very reason so many like myself have drifted away and in fact will force the likes of me to completely pull the pin on everything to do with NZ and fast track it’s end. 
The stuff Ken is suggesting on restricting punters is more akin to Eastern bloc countries and removes freedom of choice, if honestly that’s the solution then get the hand out for another $70 odd mill as in 12 months it will be needed again. 
Next we will be suggesting stopping online shopping because it’s destroying retailing or banning Uber because it’s killing Taxi companies, banning Netflix because of Sky’s demise,  Starting to sound like NZ in the late 70s - early 80’s, don’t seem to recall it working that well back then either.

1 minute ago, barryb said:

I am an owner as well with 3 horses currently and haven’t placed a single bet with the TAB since before lockdown, I would be completely nuts to have done so considering how terrible the % offering has been on Australian Racing. 
Stinging those blindly loyal under some guise of saving NZ Racing and the TAB fails to address the very reason so many like myself have drifted away and in fact will force the likes of me to completely pull the pin on everything to do with NZ and fast track it’s end. 
The stuff Ken is suggesting on restricting punters is more akin to Eastern bloc countries and removes freedom of choice, if honestly that’s the solution then get the hand out for another $70 odd mill as in 12 months it will be needed again. 
Next we will be suggesting stopping online shopping because it’s destroying retailing or banning Uber because it’s killing Taxi companies, banning Netflix because of Sky’s demise,  Starting to sound like NZ in the late 70s - early 80’s, don’t seem to recall it working that well back then either.

Your supporting racing through ownership,  you have every right in the world to shop around in your punting imho , Tab needs to up the game . You putting the coin into the game .

4 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Your supporting racing through ownership,  you have every right in the world to shop around in your punting imho , Tab needs to up the game . You putting the coin into the game .

Absolutely & they have zero right to tell me where I can spend my recreational $, because of the ineptitude of management for yrs. 

11 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Isn't that akin to a Cavalier shareholder re-carpeting their office block with Feltex?

16 minutes ago, wobbly said:

Isn't that akin to a Cavalier shareholder re-carpeting their office block with Feltex?

It is when Cavailer don’t remotely offer a product that fits the shareholders office requirements, terribly over priced and low quality. It doesn’t mean you can’t invest in Cavailer and happily sell to others.

Thats like saying a cafe owner can’t buy food from anyone else, or wherever you are employed you can’t buy from a competitor.

Edited by barryb

2 minutes ago, barryb said:

It is when Cavailer don’t remotely offer a product that fits the shareholders office requirements, terribly over priced and low quality. It doesn’t mean you can’t invest in Cavailer and happily sell to others.

Thats life saying a cafe owner can’t buy food from anyone else, or wherever you are employed you can’t buy from a competitor.

True...but if you complain about Cavalier's share price and can't bring yourself to support them...you should probably sell up?

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

Why?

I liken it to the situation with the Guvmint bailouts and wage subsidies trying to offset some of the lockdown repercussions.

Now she screams " Buy Local ".

Many are aghast that NZ's Racing is on the rocks and the fact that so many jobs at stake . 

It was often debated on here about who was the key to NZ racing.... even though Owners and their horses crucial ,without doubt the BETTING is number one.

No betting = no stakes.

More to life than sucking the last cent out of every transaction IMO !

9 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

I liken it to the situation with the Guvmint bailouts and wage subsidies trying to offset some of the lockdown repercussions.

Now she screams " Buy Local ".

Many are aghast that NZ's Racing is on the rocks and the fact that so many jobs at stake . 

It was often debated on here about who was the key to NZ racing.... even though Owners and their horses crucial ,without doubt the BETTING is number one.

No betting = no stakes.

More to life than sucking the last cent out of every transaction IMO !

1. PUNTERS !

2. OWNERS !

6 hours ago, wobbly said:

True...but if you complain about Cavalier's share price and can't bring yourself to support them...you should probably sell up?

For sure, I won’t be investing in another animal.
Just imagine being on the leadership team of this business, it’s riddled with infighting , sector groups full of own agendas, low capability across the team, staff member whom lack commitment to the cause, & the only solution you can come up with is to screw the customer (punter) more and draconian ban him from competition, whilst absolutely treating the supplier (owner) with contempt.

Its a recipe for success? I think not.

I give it till Xmas this yr  before the leadership team see this business is unviable whatever is implemented, selling real estate won’t save it and neither will trying to improve the displays (tracks). The issue the team haven’t got yet is you can’t get new customers when they don’t know you exist and you make it far too hard for them to deal with you, you’ve shit on your most likely loyal (owners) & even they can’t stand you. Your parent owner has given you one final chance and gifted you money that is largely squandered already.

Hmmm I got to say likely more shareholders turning up is remote, current ones remaining at last yrs investment levels remote, customers increasing remote, staff believing in you remote.

Surviving? on borrowed time yes. 
Timeframe? Xmas 2020.

16 minutes ago, barryb said:

For sure, I won’t be investing in another animal.
Just imagine being on the leadership team of this business, it’s riddled with infighting , sector groups full of own agendas, low capability across the team, staff member whom lack commitment to the cause, & the only solution you can come up with is to screw the customer (punter) more and draconian ban him from competition, whilst absolutely treating the supplier (owner) with contempt.

Its a recipe for success? I think not.

I give it till Xmas this yr  before the leadership team see this business is unviable whatever is implemented, selling real estate won’t save it and neither will trying to improve the displays (tracks). The issue the team haven’t got yet is you can’t get new customers when they don’t know you exist and you make it far too hard for them to deal with you, you’ve shit on your most likely loyal (owners) & even they can’t stand you. Your parent owner has given you one final chance and gifted you money that is largely squandered already.

Hmmm I got to say likely more shareholders turning up is remote, current ones remaining at last yrs investment levels remote, customers increasing remote, staff believing in you remote.

Surviving? on borrowed time yes. 
Timeframe? Xmas 2020.

Just hope I can win one more race before Santa turns out the lights.

Was he the guy that wasted a load of industry money on excess sand at a track he managed , horses were coming home covered in the stuff , i recall they had to cancel meetings but maybe i am mistaken . I suppose his track now has a new Poly gallop so he was maybe doing a test run in NZ of hybrid track  . I haven't been to the track here he used to manage but from reports it's not a great track to go to facility wise .

If possible could the interviewer put to Mr Rutherford why he would lock customers in his country of birth into a system that is so bad he cancelled his own  account whilst in all likelihood drawing his wage from the racing industry . 

Barry your reports threads on here are great , can you see the contradiction  here in this article , or the look of hypocrisy from Mr Rutherford ? 

What I cant work out, is how does a monopoly, get so completely in the shite, and shoot themselves in the foot, time after time. I bet exclusively on overseas accounts, the final straw being the new ( read crap) betting platform. If RITA believe that by stopping my ability to use such accounts, I will automatically resurrect my defunct TAB ACC, then they have rocks in their heads.