RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Ken Rutherford's way forward - and it won't go down well with everyone

He is very much on the money, another loss for us and over the next 6 months many more will follow

Our current leaders have not got a clue about leadership or communication which is none resistant, just self serving weekly platitudes

A very interesting story. And as a punter it was always the stories that drove my interest in racing which in turn drove my betting. I'd say my decline as a punter started with the demise of the Friday Flash. Since then we've lost so much more, especially over the past few weeks. No longer will the product be put in front of the punter. Racing will almost be like a secret society. We won't let you have a bet unless you know the secret handshake. 

Two stats I'd love to know.

1/ how much money per year do NZ punters spend with overseas agencies?

2/ how much overseas money per year is spent on NZ racing?

So he abandoned his TAB account because it was so poor a service , but my understanding is he works overseas now .So now  wants those who still pay for racings upkeep here through taxation held hostage to a basket case betting organisation . I bet 95 per cent on NZ Tab , but the website is rubbish the prices 90 % of time worse , deals average , however a mixture of laziness and loyalty to NZ racing keeps me plodding along with them. Block me out and dictate to me what iam doing and I'd be one dodging round the system to bet overseas on overseas racing it's not that hard to do , rather than what I plan to do now stick with the better OZ racing but betting via NZ Tab  .

He's a bit of a piss taker imho .

In business if you disrespect your customers and alienate participants like the TAB have done and RITA continue to do! :rolleyes:

Guess What?.....

You end up with what we have today.....A Crisis! :angry:

Can anyone name the financial controllers and accountants for the racing Industry? They would be the first on my list for the firing squad! :rcf-angry-2:

Well i must say never gave him much credit when at Te Rapa , heard way more negatives than positives from his time there . But he's pretty well on the button with everything bar the barring of overseas bookies . Improve the product and compete , people hate being told you have no option but ours and someone will come up with a way around it .

He didn't have to be a rocket scientist to work out JA , should have spoken out and loudly at the time , i don't recall any administrator saying anything . 

I'm in total agreement regarding A/W tracks , i've said my bit already . The one thing i will add , whilst all this talk of A/W's is going on nobody has mentioned sorting out the tracks we have , all the main one's need remedial work , preferably complete overhauls , but no , now we have the A/W's on the way and everybody is bathing in the glow of success they are going to bring to NZ racing the issue of how  bad a state of repair our tracks are in is just swept under the carpet .

As for media profile everybody in racing bar our esteemed leaders seem to understand the better the coverage the more people are likely to take an interest . I'm going to take a stab in the dark and suggest that having a dedicated racing radio channel and free to air TV would be financially more productive than their present plan of trying to make racing even more obscure than it was .

3 minutes ago, nomates said:

Well i must say never gave him much credit when at Te Rapa , heard way more negatives than positives from his time there . But he's pretty well on the button with everything bar the barring of overseas bookies . Improve the product and compete , people hate being told you have no option but ours and someone will come up with a way around it .

He didn't have to be a rocket scientist to work out JA , should have spoken out and loudly at the time , i don't recall any administrator saying anything . 

I'm in total agreement regarding A/W tracks , i've said my bit already . The one thing i will add , whilst all this talk of A/W's is going on nobody has mentioned sorting out the tracks we have , all the main one's need remedial work , preferably complete overhauls , but no , now we have the A/W's on the way and everybody is bathing in the glow of success they are going to bring to NZ racing the issue of how  bad a state of repair our tracks are in is just swept under the carpet .

As for media profile everybody in racing bar our esteemed leaders seem to understand the better the coverage the more people are likely to take an interest . I'm going to take a stab in the dark and suggest that having a dedicated racing radio channel and free to air TV would be financially more productive than their present plan of trying to make racing even more obscure than it was .

Great Post!.... as usual nomates! :rcf-cool:

2 minutes ago, Baz (NZ) said:

In business if you disrespect your customers and alienate participants like the TAB have done and RITA continue to do! :rolleyes:

Guess What?.....

You end up with what we have today.....A Crisis! :angry:

Can anyone name the financial controllers and accountants for the racing Industry? They would be the first on my list for the firing squad! :rcf-angry-2:

Well Rutherford a joke , he shut his account then says tie the peasants into the system , let the eat cake , Marie Rutherford knitting at the guillotine .

Love people like that , depart a country then tell them how to run their affairs as soon as they step foot overseas .

8 minutes ago, nomates said:

whilst all this talk of A/W's is going on nobody has mentioned sorting out the tracks we have , all the main one's need remedial work , preferably complete overhauls ,.

Those requirements were clearly laid out in the Messara report which RITA is supposed to be implementing. Would be much better in my view to spend the $20m on the track rebuilding e.g. Awapuni and Ellerslie and the various other recommended track renovations.

He's not talking retrospectively...I recall him referring to the mooted betting platform on Trackside Radio - "why do we need a Ferrari when a Holden Astra will do the job" (car names substituted due to faded memory).

I cant agree with blocking competition though (imagine Cinders banning Bunnings and giving Mitre-10 monopoly status...that's just not the kiwi way). But by bringing in fresh gravy, exchange and in-run, and making these exclusive to kiwi punters...the tide will turn naturally. 

2 minutes ago, wobbly said:

He's not talking retrospectively either...I recall him referring to the mooted betting platform on Trackside Radio - "why do we need a Ferrari when a Holden Astra will do the job" (car names substituted due to faded memory).

I cant agree with blocking competition (imagine Cinders banning Bunnings and giving Mitre-10 monopoly status...that's just not the kiwi way). But by bringing in fresh gravy, exchange and in-run, and making these exclusive to kiwi punters...the tide will turn naturally. 

Agree, and by blocking,would we see a better product? 

Can we see the Tab putting up the best prices to keep there customers and freeze out the competition? 

7 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Those requirements were clearly laid out in the Messara report which RITA is supposed to be implementing. Would be much better in my view to spend the $20m on the track rebuilding e.g. Awapuni and Ellerslie and the various other recommended track renovations.

The thing I've noticed since the announcement last week of the A/W tracks is the number of industry participants that have spoken so positively and glowingly of getting them , i don't get it , do they have information that is not already in the public domain or as i suspect they have just been blinded by the light and driven by the self interest aspect . 

I also suspect the Messara report is being quietly squirreled away in dark room in a cellar somewhere . 

1 minute ago, Stables said:

Why doesn't someone offer him Dean McKenzie's job

A few comments that the majority already basically knew doesn't make him the man to solve our woes , wouldn't have thought he was a roaring success at Waikato RC . Put him the CEO's chair he would be more of the same vanilla style leadership , we somehow have to hope a V'landys type turns up , aggressive , with real vision and a real plan to implement it , who takes no bullshit , fecking EASY .

14 minutes ago, nomates said:

The thing I've noticed since the announcement last week of the A/W tracks is the number of industry participants that have spoken so positively and glowingly of getting them , i don't get it , do they have information that is not already in the public domain or as i suspect they have just been blinded by the light and driven by the self interest aspect . 

I also suspect the Messara report is being quietly squirreled away in dark room in a cellar somewhere . 

Feathering their own nests !  :rolleyes:
That my friend is one of the main reasons the industry can't make positive change for the greater good! :(
Money better spent on refurbishing run down facilities & tracks of the remaining racecourses after all the closures!

17 minutes ago, nomates said:

Brilliant! I don't entirely agree with some of it and it lacks some things imo but I thought that's what RITA was supposed to be implementing.

1 minute ago, Swoopa said:

Anyone have the info  link about the Cambridge AW they can put up.Proposed size and usage. Is it just a trials /training track?

I think they have 6 meetings planned there , but I could very well have misread something .

1 minute ago, Leggy said:

Brilliant! I don't entirely agree with some of it and it lacks some things imo but I thought that's what RITA was supposed to be implementing.

I'll be honest as far as the Messara report goes i don't have a knowledge around the TAB , IT and all the other techy stuff so i'll defer on those . But regarding track closures and the racing product we didn't need him in my opinion . If they had gone out and got everybody participating in the discussion , and i don't mean just the recognizable big name faces , i believe there is enough knowledge and will for positive change that NZ racing could have solved their own problems . Peters and other people with influence continue with the rhetoric that racing has to fix their own problems before we get others i.e. govt etc to help , but honestly when has NZ racing as a whole been given the chance to do this . The people at the coal face know the problems and they generally have ideas for solutions , but , and i'm serious , there has never been a real will from the top for help , if there has i must've been in a coma .