RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Racing Board ignored warning on risks of expensive betting platform

19 hours ago, Trump said:

Then refresh my memory if you are saying that I “SEEMED” to endorse JA’s appointment. I like to learn from my mistakes so please, table the posting you are referring to. Thanks.

Trump, I'd describe your post if this is the one referred to as tentatively hopeful.

On 12/9/2014 at 9:31 AM, Trump said:

He doesn't read like he's accepted his new role to have a cushy ride. He may just surprise everyone. Looks like he'll employ his weaknesses and maybe, just maybe, he may be the one.

On 5/20/2020 at 3:50 PM, Barry Lichter said:

It also never tested the system thoroughly with those who had to use it to actually deliver the product before it went live. Instead a small selection of people were hand picked for a minimal number of "test runs". Unsurprisingly those who were chosen were known to not rock the boat. Anyone, even with vast experience, who expressed doubts or concerns and options for solutions was ignored or removed entirely from the mainstream team. As a result the huge team that was brought in to develop the product had extremely minimal knowledge of how the existing system functioned for a start.  Additional "Workarounds" had to be put in place even prior to the systems introduction, adding substantial time to numerous tasks. Even at the huge expense it was, it was always a bandaid fix, a new platform which still has to link to the outdated(1970s?) original system to operate. Therefore it was always going to be both an additional cost and impossible to create a fluidly functioning product. Any upgrade should have addressed the ancient system and terminals 1st to be effective. Experienced IT experts left in droves as they saw the writing on the wall, as it seems have most with a true passion for racing. An exit from the sinking ship, the inebitible. Intolerable to see when you understand at all the reality on the ground for the heart of the industry, whose exponentially harder work delivers the product. Little chance to make any profit in NZ anymore, but those who have a true passion for the sport and these amazing animals, a way of life. 

Doomed to fail, poorly informed, and even as a bandaid fix at unreasonable cost, a complete and utter failure. Unacceptable, and it will not change until those that at the top who seem entirely untouchable , blind and deaf are gone. Outsource. The industry cannot afford to do what needs to be done to fix this failed administrative mess. RITA doesn't even possess the common sense to know that cutting exposure, coverage, service and access to your core product and revenue streams FIRST is the WORST thing you could do.

29 minutes ago, Dissident said:

It also never tested the system thoroughly with those who had to use it to actually deliver the product before it went live. Instead a small selection of people were hand picked for a minimal number of "test runs". Unsurprisingly those who were chosen were known to not rock the boat. Anyone, even with vast experience, who expressed doubts or concerns and options for solutions was ignored or removed entirely from the mainstream team. As a result the huge team that was brought in to develop the product had extremely minimal knowledge of how the existing system functioned for a start.  Additional "Workarounds" had to be put in place even prior to the systems introduction, adding substantial time to numerous tasks. Even at the huge expense it was, it was always a bandaid fix, a new platform which still has to link to the outdated(1970s?) original system to operate. Therefore it was always going to be both an additional cost and impossible to create a fluidly functioning product. Any upgrade should have addressed the ancient system and terminals 1st to be effective. Experienced IT experts left in droves as they saw the writing on the wall, as it seems have most with a true passion for racing. An exit from the sinking ship, the inebitible. Intolerable to see when you understand at all the reality on the ground for the heart of the industry, whose exponentially harder work delivers the product. Little chance to make any profit in NZ anymore, but those who have a true passion for the sport and these amazing animals, a way of life. 

Doomed to fail, poorly informed, and even as a bandaid fix at unreasonable cost, a complete and utter failure. Unacceptable, and it will not change until those that at the top who seem entirely untouchable , blind and deaf are gone. Outsource. The industry cannot afford to do what needs to be done to fix this failed administrative mess. RITA doesn't even possess the common sense to know that cutting exposure, coverage, service and access to your core product and revenue streams FIRST is the WORST thing you could do.

Tell us more Dissident, please !

13 hours ago, Trump said:

Thank you Leggy. I think Slam Dunk probably needs to change his Nom de Plume. Own Goal seems like a good sub eh?

Don't know how you come to that conclusion my point is made.

Seems Tasman Man on the other hand needs to stoop to underarm tactics (every paragraph of his a lie) when he is proven wrong. This posted by him in 2017 after one of John Allens Ellerslie PR stunts. AS I said its fascinating to see who was right or wrong and who to follow on Racecafe.

From Tasman Man 2017

......"I agree he is an enthusiastic and knowledgable leader with genuine belief his plans will lead us to greater profitability.

I agree his goal to reignite dormant account holders is wishful thinking ...throwing $5 at irregular users is the game-changer they believe to change habits.

Interesting that his Elite Punters make up 1 1/2 % of punters but they make up 56% of total bet.The real big boys ,the V VIP punters are the ones going to the rugby and get the V VIP treatment cos of their huge spend.

The Fixed Odds platform ....automatic technology will increase options significantly ,more in line with major competitors .

Racefields legislation expected to pass thru Parliament before election.

So there are 3 x Silver Bullets combining to make up the expected increase in Distribution to racing....Fixed Odds technology ,igniting dormant and lapsed customers and  Race fields legislation.

Shaun Clotworthy on behalf of struggling trainers and Industry Participants spoke well and at length about costs,salaries and big number of folk earning over $100k. and he and others continually questioned JA 's salary of $600k.

These points were hammered and JA , said costs now were under control with very small increase in costs in current year ...0.2%.

JA definitely took  the criticism well and pretty much acknowledged   that NZRB were portrayed as a wasteful organisation with poor perception among Industry but he did say there was a lot of misinformation out here and clearly believes he's done well in his two years and on the right track and would expect to be replaced if KPI's not achieved with increased distribution...He emphasised CASH was all that matters.

Reading between the lines it is apparent that things got out of control and poorly run before he took over !

He handled the grilling from floor very well...I like the guy !

It was pointed out that there is a lack of collaboration and respect between NZRB and NZTR....this obviously needs to change/improve.

He's adamant he will deliver the results...Happy days are here again !

Ellerslie course looks great for the Derby ,it is an excellent race-track.!"

15 hours ago, Dissident said:

It also never tested the system thoroughly with those who had to use it to actually deliver the product before it went live.

If true would have to be one of the worst cases of gross mismanagement I have seen in NZ business. Who are the managers responsible for this debacle?

5 hours ago, MisterEd said:

If true would have to be one of the worst cases of gross mismanagement I have seen in NZ business. Who are the managers responsible for this debacle?

Yes. And as Patiti says. The whole project seemed to be shrouded in secrecy from the mainstream team once it got underway. If I could pinpoint a person/ppl I would but everything was very much behind closed doors. The day before the new system rolled in, I hadn't seen it, nor had around 80% of the immediate team I worked with. Certainly I witnessed an empty desk appear the day after some of the teams curious questions were answered honestly by someone working on the project. When queried management said that team member was now working on the new platform full time. Never a meaningful peep on the matter was mentioned by said person again. Clearly they had said too much. Unfortunately I can't say much more whilst attempting to remain annonymous. I know this page is watched, otherwise I would hope that others might speak up too. In fact I hear racecafe was blocked-apparently some less than favourable opinions were thought to have been coming from internal sources.  

It has been sad and frustrating watching the developments over the last couple of months. It seems the same pattern of disconnection from the industry will continue until racing in NZ breathes its last dying breath. The same stonewalling culture where questions and suggestions go nowhere. A lack of consideration or respect for those who need assurance to carry on operating or at the very least make informed decisions. Just some direct communication under such dire circumstances, the least they could do is front up. NZTR essentially held to ransom with RITA controlling the purse strings. RITA's solutions seem to be exactly the same as NZRB's have been in the past, exactly what led us here. 

1 hour ago, Dissident said:

A good place to start, one would think. 

Its a good start so could we class you as a whistleblower.  N.B.The Act is the Protected Disclosures Act 2000   https://whistleblowers.co.nz/

Be good if a someone as well could be encouraged to come forward who was in senior management. I hope Barry Lichter has messaged you for an expose as well.