RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

RIDA and Winny

1 hour ago, Womby said:

Can you guys stop playing the man and concentrate on the sport. 

Slightly off the topic but a neighbour and his family race a couple of off road cars/buggys. 

They cost a lot of money, and a lot more to be front of the pack. 

They generally import high performance parts from the USA to improve the quality of the car. 

They race a few hours travel from home every time they compete. 

They recently towed the car to the bottom of the south island from the north island for a series, and some flew home and back for work. Accommodation, ferry, fuel, food! 

What the actual cost of this is would be eye watering but they do it because they love the sport. And they race for a few hundred dollars If they win. He was astounded by $7000 odd prize money for harness races as a base. 

The game is not buggered yet, and IMHO the manawatu hrc decision is wrong and hopefully will be resolved and reversed. 

Good point Womby.

Horse racing has many similarities to Car racing in that it is an expensive hobby.

Not so many race tracks /facilities for car racing in NZ ....deciding what ones to close if the sport went bankrupt would probably cause angst especially with so many people relying on the sport and associated services.

Strange times we in.

1 hour ago, Mikie said:

You are so out of touch Gary

Marlborough does not have any representative on the Board, where did you dream that up from?

You also seem unable to grasp the point people are making. I will have another go. The Group Subsidy means tht a race worth $xxxx could become $xxxx plus $3000 overnight

The Group race run at Marlborough was attracting only 5 starters, of course it had to be axed, a practical business decision. Your logic is we have money in the Bank, let's waste it, you would have fitted in well at the RIB wouldn't you?

Insofar as your question as to which Tracks should close I have already said that I have not kept up with the Deep South for example. I can name 2 Tracks that should still be racing, Marlborough and Manawatu. Both fulfil Winston's promise that every region should have at least 1 race meeting. Manawatu caters for a certain type of horse which even you have conceded. There is no cost to Owners unless they choose to travel there ie they don't have to

Stables asks how many people are affected by a Track closure. You cannot quantify it. However, when the Nelson gallops (quite rightly) shut down the loss of Owners and Punters that were on the Committee could be quantified, and we are talking large Owners and very large punters. The Owners between them had cut down from 25 horse to 2 within a year, the punter had given up within 3 months and bought a speedboat. No once a year race meeting will mean no interest

Mikie

Yep...if you snooze you lose.

I see the Marlborough man gone from Board which explains part of decision I guess.There in the most recent Annual report ,now gone along with my ex-schoolmate and neighbour Trevor.

But it doesn't change the fact that your club had been represented at the highest level of NZ Harness during the spiral of decline.

I firmly believe the Board had a lot to answer for....they set the plans and sign them off and have huge responsibility.

I attended the Group race many times in Blenheim and never saw 5 horses contesting it....but obviously with the full NZ calendar the interest waned.

Marlborough usually had better stakes than Nelson , that key January date being the highlight of the Tasman racing scene...one day !!!

I never saw or heard too much Harness promotion in region , maybe 27 years wasn't enough time.

Im confident they will tweak the calendar re Palmy if the plan put up for dual code.

With $700k in the bank your club could 'fund' a raceday or two.......be proactive....get the TAB to include in program.....think outside the square with oncourse terminals.

Live stream the races ......create don't cry !

Unfortunately Mike has been constantly resorting to insults and playing the man since his return to this site. He is peeved that his local club has been dropped from the racing schedule, which is understandable. These changes had to be made however, and there are some winners and many losers. Those people in areas where no racing is scheduled will hopefully be able to relocate if that is their wish. The most important thing, however is that Harness Racing has been resurrected and the prospect of a total collapse has been averted

19 hours ago, Mikie said:

s for more efficient? The only casualty amongst the top 7 highest paid employees has been the one who cocked up the $3.5 million in Bonus Bets

Does John Allen's and his departure not count and are you 100% sure it was only a 3.5 mio cock up.

Greg

13 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Does John Allen's and his departure not count and are you 100% sure it was only a 3.5 mio cock up.

Greg

I didn't include him as he jumped ship, but we can count him in

No idea if it was more than $3.5million but nothing suprises me anymore

Mikie

14 minutes ago, Mikie said:

I didn't include him as he jumped ship, but we can count him in

No idea if it was more than $3.5million but nothing suprises me anymore

Mikie

Sounds like you like to quote stuff as being factual when its not.Nobody on 750K now at RITA and as for the 3.5 mio im pretty sure that wont be the final tally either. CFO is gone and not replaced and im picking the top team will be halved in the not to distant future. Mind you , i would probably bet that the 30% staff reductions is not the end of it either.

Greg

34 minutes ago, Stables said:

Unfortunately Mike has been constantly resorting to insults and playing the man since his return to this site. He is peeved that his local club has been dropped from the racing schedule, which is understandable. These changes had to be made however, and there are some winners and many losers. Those people in areas where no racing is scheduled will hopefully be able to relocate if that is their wish. The most important thing, however is that Harness Racing has been resurrected and the prospect of a total collapse has been averted

That's a bit of an exaggeration to say I have constantly resorted to insults

I have searched my posts and I think that I called you an idiot once, and later conceded that I should have said that the post you made was idiotic

The only other poster I have called a halfwit is Tasman Man

I consider that warranted given that (a) he ducks for cover whenever he asks a question, or is given a fact, and the response isn't to his liking or (b) he is just plain wrong or (c) his suggestions are just a bit silly

For example

1. He asked what Nelson's 'huge' lease was. I told him $40,000 and he has never mentioned it again

2. he asked what the T/O's were at Marlborough and Nelson and then, because he was wrong, he has never mentioned them again

3. he stated my source was the same as his, he is wrong, my source says he has never heard of Gary

4. he stated that there was a Marlborough representative on the Board (I presume he meant HRNZ) and he is wrong

5. he argued that the Makos weren't mainly imports then could only come up with 6 names from the last 5 seasons of player rosters

6. he artfully dodges any mention of Nelson's incorrect GST claims where they were let off with $100,000+ of taxpayer's money

7. he states that Marlborough had a representative on the Board during the "spiral of decline". Since the guy he is referring to lived most of his life in Nelson that's debatable

8. he thinks that Marlborough should fritter away the money they have set aside over the years to run race days god knows where, with no benefit whatsoever to the members in Blenheim

9. he can't have attended the 4YO race in 2015, when 5 finished the race (1 maiden didn't complete the race but if you want to say 6 is more than 5 that's great Gary)

There are things that I do blame the current Board for. Bulk Funding is one, it does nothing to incentivise Clubs to make an effort to do better on-course. The Ratings system is another. The current conflict of interest that the President has in the Dates Schedule is a 3rd

Toughen up Stables, I'm hardly in Leo's class for hurling insults

Mikie

Mike, you do have a problem with Tasmaan Man, as I've said before I have crossed swords with him on many occasions, he is loyal to his Club as you are to yours. Your posts are usually pretty close to the mark and I respect what you have to say. I can assure you your comments do not bring me any distress and I congratulate you, for as I said before for bringing some life back into this site. Please elaborate on the conflict of interest that the President has in the Dates schedule

23 minutes ago, Stables said:

Mike, you do have a problem with Tasmaan Man, as I've said before I have crossed swords with him on many occasions, he is loyal to his Club as you are to yours. Your posts are usually pretty close to the mark and I respect what you have to say. I can assure you your comments do not bring me any distress and I congratulate you, for as I said before for bringing some life back into this site. Please elaborate on the conflict of interest that the President has in the Dates schedule

Firstly, it is not MY Club, and given circumstances that you are not aware of and are not for Public record as yet to even loosely describe them as 'my' Club is incorrect

I am glad I cause you no distress, you don't cause me any either. If I call you an idiot in future remind me to alter it to "I greatly respect your opinion, and I thank you for sharing it on this site, but I cannot agree with your post because on this occasion I find it idiotic"

Conflict of interest? Let's start with Banks Peninsula, the Thoroughbreds are gone and according to Peter Jensen that's a factor of great significance as the Course maintenance will fall on the Harness Club. Who is the Immediate Past President of the Club?

Nelson. Who is their major sponsor? Who is employed by that Sponsor?

Mikie

18 hours ago, Stables said:

Give me an indication of the numbers of people that are effected by these changes and I will compare it to the numbers of people in the rest of New Zealand who would have had their livelihoods destroyed when the whole system of Harness racing fails. These changes are forced upon us by economic reality

All the local economies suffer , from stock feed outlets, farriers, hay producers, saddleries, stablehands etc .

Yes, I see all that 2Piper, it is tragic that as a result of a pandemic these changes had to be made, although I think many of them would have been made without the urgency of a pandemic. There are going to be 10s of thousands of New Zealanders in a similar situation as many employers decide it is no longer viable to continue. Hopefully things will gradually improve and within a year or two decisions made under duress may be able to be reversed

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Sounds like you like to quote stuff as being factual when its not.Nobody on 750K now at RITA and as for the 3.5 mio im pretty sure that wont be the final tally either. CFO is gone and not replaced and im picking the top team will be halved in the not to distant future. Mind you , i would probably bet that the 30% staff reductions is not the end of it either.

Greg

What's not factual? The $3.5million? I'm sorry I don't know whether it's $3,498,015 or $3,528,085

Get over it Greg, it was reported as $3.5million so that's what I went with

As far as restructuring goes it is obvious that I was referring to the current crisis and restructuring. I didn't count John Allen. I also didn't count Andrew Brown. Again, get over it. My post is still relevant, as a result of this crisis they are cutting staff at the bottom and not starting at the top

Mikie

3 hours ago, Stables said:

"Harness racing has been resurrected"???? Wow...sounds like something the genius, Trump, would say.

3 hours ago, Mikie said:

What's not factual? The $3.5million? I'm sorry I don't know whether it's $3,498,015 or $3,528,085

Get over it Greg, it was reported as $3.5million so that's what I went with

As far as restructuring goes it is obvious that I was referring to the current crisis and restructuring. I didn't count John Allen. I also didn't count Andrew Brown. Again, get over it. My post is still relevant, as a result of this crisis they are cutting staff at the bottom and not starting at the top

Mikie

Judging by your posts of late your the one that needs to get over things.If you believe half the shit thats been reported your a lost cause for starters Try being factual and or listening to others who have something of that nature to post. You might actually learn something. :rcf-kiss:

Greg

9 hours ago, Mikie said:

Firstly, it is not MY Club, and given circumstances that you are not aware of and are not for Public record as yet to even loosely describe them as 'my' Club is incorrect

I am glad I cause you no distress, you don't cause me any either. If I call you an idiot in future remind me to alter it to "I greatly respect your opinion, and I thank you for sharing it on this site, but I cannot agree with your post because on this occasion I find it idiotic"

Conflict of interest? Let's start with Banks Peninsula, the Thoroughbreds are gone and according to Peter Jensen that's a factor of great significance as the Course maintenance will fall on the Harness Club. Who is the Immediate Past President of the Club?

Nelson. Who is their major sponsor? Who is employed by that Sponsor?

Mikie

Small town syndrome in play here...Nelson Pines / Golden Edge is a fantastic corporate citizen and I doubt if the Chair of Board would interfere with the decision.

Nelson has the excellent date , and should have another day the previous week ,its a better track ,half of Canterbury is in the area and the horsemen love the trip away!

Marlborough, for a minnow has had Board representation until recently plus your Dad was Chairman of of HRNZ not so long ago.

Neither clubs have much of a future and do little to promote Harness but Nelson the better fit at that time of holiday period....it follows on nicely from Coast circuit.

10 hours ago, Mikie said:

That's a bit of an exaggeration to say I have constantly resorted to insults

I have searched my posts and I think that I called you an idiot once, and later conceded that I should have said that the post you made was idiotic

The only other poster I have called a halfwit is Tasman Man

I consider that warranted given that (a) he ducks for cover whenever he asks a question, or is given a fact, and the response isn't to his liking or (b) he is just plain wrong or (c) his suggestions are just a bit silly

For example

1. He asked what Nelson's 'huge' lease was. I told him $40,000 and he has never mentioned it again

2. he asked what the T/O's were at Marlborough and Nelson and then, because he was wrong, he has never mentioned them again

3. he stated my source was the same as his, he is wrong, my source says he has never heard of Gary

4. he stated that there was a Marlborough representative on the Board (I presume he meant HRNZ) and he is wrong

5. he argued that the Makos weren't mainly imports then could only come up with 6 names from the last 5 seasons of player rosters

6. he artfully dodges any mention of Nelson's incorrect GST claims where they were let off with $100,000+ of taxpayer's money

7. he states that Marlborough had a representative on the Board during the "spiral of decline". Since the guy he is referring to lived most of his life in Nelson that's debatable

8. he thinks that Marlborough should fritter away the money they have set aside over the years to run race days god knows where, with no benefit whatsoever to the members in Blenheim

9. he can't have attended the 4YO race in 2015, when 5 finished the race (1 maiden didn't complete the race but if you want to say 6 is more than 5 that's great Gary)

There are things that I do blame the current Board for. Bulk Funding is one, it does nothing to incentivise Clubs to make an effort to do better on-course. The Ratings system is another. The current conflict of interest that the President has in the Dates Schedule is a 3rd

Toughen up Stables, I'm hardly in Leo's class for hurling insults

Mikie

Oh Mikie please don't hurt my feelings !

1) I fully aware Nelson's finances very suspect and their facilities 1940's but good track ,good weather , good turnover.Marlborough has the equity but little use in having a bank balance and little else !

2 )I  asking for all turnovers of all clubs ...still waiting....I no doubt Nelson gets the bigger crowd.....mainly Maiden and slow Canterbury horses.Up to recently  with Group races Marlborough in January attracted different and better Canterbury horses for better stakes .

3 ) Source:rcf-wink:Really not interested !

4 ) I was unaware that your rep recently off Board. For a minnow MHRC has had seat on Board for number of years . Harness in Tasman not much discussed. The Hills and Berkett's not so prominent these days and Pash and Fox not household names among the youth !

5 ) Makos....a real success story...tons of local players...3x others played with my sons ,Billy Guyton , Blackadder and James Lash. He  captain as was a neighbour Andrew Goodman [now coach] .

Then there was Mark Bright , Robbie Malneek ,Sulu 2 x Fainaanukus ,Quinn Strange .And prominent Marlborough lads Joe Wheeler [now TV]Quent MacDonald and Atu Moli. Crockett and prominent coaches Leon MacDonald and Keiran Keane ..Marlborough thru and thru. Great career paths for these players and inspiration for the towns.

The Rugby analogy is important cos the merger saved the sport in both areas...would have died.....been 7 All Blacks too out of Makos. Marlborough wanted out of the merger and still filthy about it cos they had to sell their field !They wanted to be the Rugby area  with no games/players but plenty in bank! Like Harness.

6 ) $$$.....its a picnic club with slow horses with great date !

7 )Was Nelson....how do minnows get on the top table ?

8) Why not spend a bit to promote harness..used to with Group races.....Blenheim people go to Nelson for shopping , education , rugby , Cricket Internationals , Giants basketball ,junior sport so many would flock to the races as many in Golden bay anyway !

9) A couple of small fields 6 & 7  horses so pin pulled. But MPurdon won  it a few times and usually had a runner as did  RDunn,CDalgety ,Hope ,Barron ,TButt , MJones. And even North Island horses I saw. 

Monkey King and also Geoff Small ran 3rd with Laurella and won an earlier race.Tiger Tara I remember too.All NZ's top stables and drivers.Great racing !

That was doing something for the community .......since then its been grass track and a night at Addington and a white flag to a June meeting and a  bloated Bank bal ance.

Little wonder Nelson gets the nod for January !

Why don't Marlborough fund a day's racing  and have a 'save Marlborough Harness meeting', Get TAB betting and livestream racing.Proactive !

I certainly won't post again on these Clubs.......they not trying to future proof their Clubs or help Harness in NZ.

A bunch of old men with their arses on the rails.......WP....not getting along ! Exactly what NZ Rugby Union told the two Unions.

Go the Tasman Makos...fins up ....Div 1 Winners !!!