RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nelli

Back to back meetings

Can anyone explain the logic to having 14 back to back Cambridge / Auckland meetings? Even if there was one extra day between meetings some horses may line up on both days. The draft has no back to back meetings at all in Canterbury.

8 minutes ago, Nelli said:

Can anyone explain the logic to having 14 back to back Cambridge / Auckland meetings? Even if there was one extra day between meetings some horses may line up on both days. The draft has no back to back meetings at all in Canterbury.

I can't Nelli

Mikie

2 hours ago, Nelli said:

Not quite true ..... there are a few Addington/Methven or Addington/Motukarara back to back, an Addington/Methven on the same day, and even an Addington/Addington/Methven on 11 to 13 December in the draft.

21 minutes ago, Taku Umanga said:

Not quite true ..... there are a few Addington/Methven or Addington/Motukarara back to back, an Addington/Methven on the same day, and even an Addington/Addington/Methven on 11 to 13 December in the draft.

There are enouigh horses in Canterbury to sustain that, especially if the Addington meeting is one catering for the better class of horse

I don't think there will be enough horses left up North to sustain too many back to back meetings

Mikie

1 hour ago, Mikie said:

There are enouigh horses in Canterbury to sustain that, especially if the Addington meeting is one catering for the better class of horse

I don't think there will be enough horses left up North to sustain too many back to back meetings

Mikie

Can't disagree .... the North has been struggling with this for a long time - just pointing out that there are actually back to back meetings in Canterbury 

5 hours ago, Taku Umanga said:

That will be the Xmas at the races promo, with  Xmas work functions .

36 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

Addington proposal is to race on 77 days during the new season.

Totally unsustainable and after a while they will be like Riccarton with 150 patrons on course - ridiculous proposal 

Do they get that many now?

I think it's great Turny, It will not only be sustainable, it will revive the industry by allowing owners to actually get some of their costs back by not paying out huge amounts in transport fees plus accomodation costs etc for trainer and driver

I have never had a reply from you before Stables

Why did owners have to travel if they were based at Cambridge or Pukekohe?

You had races every week, or twice a week

So why did they have to travel?

Mikie

Again, you didn’t answer the question

I know it is a long way to those meetings

I am asking you why did Trainers HAVE to travel to those meetings

They could have raced every week at ATC or Cambridhe

Why did they HAVE to travel?

Can you just answer the question?

Mikie

OK , so now you are saying that they didn’t HAVE to go there which is not what you stated previously

For the record, no horses or connections were forced to travel to the Central Districts

They could have had 50 or so strays in a season without leaving ATC or Canbridge

Isnt that correct?

Mikie

I stand corrected but Cambridge to Taranaki would be about 5 hours by float.    It takes me about that by car from Auckland so really with much better roads these days it is not overly taxing.    The last Stratford meeting some trainers travelled down in the morning of the races and back to Cambridge the same night.    Yes it's a long haul but some do it.    

Maybe you are right Elijah, but it doesn’t matter if it took 15 hours

The point I am trying to make (well, I’ve made it but Stables is still catching up) is that that no one HAD to travel to the CD to race which was his original assertion

Mikie

4 hours ago, eljay said:

I stand corrected but Cambridge to Taranaki would be about 5 hours by float.    It takes me about that by car from Auckland so really with much better roads these days it is not overly taxing.    The last Stratford meeting some trainers travelled down in the morning of the races and back to Cambridge the same night.    Yes it's a long haul but some do it.    

Cambridge to Taranaki = about 3 hours.

Cambridge to Manawatu = about 5 hours

4 hours ago, Stables said:

... some go there because their trainers/ drivers like to have a bit of a holiday at their owners expense

That's a bit of a stretch - those "bigger" trainers don't even attend the CD meetings, sending staff down with the horses so hardly "having a holiday at their owners expense"

I wonder if Cambridge will object to not racing on Christmas eve. Who would go on the 23rd when still a workday? Would they even run their G1 trot? I work in Hamilton and remember the meeting at Claudelands in the 70s being packed with Hamiltonians, including many workmates for which it was their one afternoon of the year at the races. Those were the days .......sigh...

13 hours ago, Mikie said:

Maybe you are right Elijah, but it doesn’t matter if it took 15 hours

The point I am trying to make (well, I’ve made it but Stables is still catching up) is that that no one HAD to travel to the CD to race which was his original assertion

Mikie

You interpret my statement incorrectly - what I was saying is that if you want to travel it not a big thing and that up to the trainer/owners if they want to - I never said anyone HAD to.

1 hour ago, eljay said:

You interpret my statement incorrectly - what I was saying is that if you want to travel it not a big thing and that up to the trainer/owners if they want to - I never said anyone HAD to.

I didn't interpret your statement incorrectly Eljay, I understood exactly what you were saying

FGSM I was agreeing with you

Mikie

17 hours ago, Stables said:

I think it's great Turny, It will not only be sustainable, it will revive the industry by allowing owners to actually get some of their costs back by not paying out huge amounts in transport fees plus accomodation costs etc for trainer and driver

You are playing with words Stables. You said it will help owners by them not paying out huge amounts in transport fess. I asked why did they have to pay out huge amounts? Who was forcing them to pay out these amounts? They could have had nearly 50 starts in a season at ATC & Cambridge. What were these magical powers that made them travel? ie why did they have to?

11 hours ago, Stables said:

Can't recall ever using the word have in my posts on this subject. I suggest you show where me if I am wrong