RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Avondale one of 10 galloping venues frozen out

2 hours ago, eljay said:

You mean you hope - but alas RITA say it too expensive move staff up there.    Blue you better accept it - the industry is stuffed.    

Not sure if it's hope or not Lloyd. Was considering having a horse trained up here as it would race on its home track during the winter but now that's not happening , what I might save on training fees I'll pay in transport so it might as well go to Cambridge or Puke.

What puzzles me is hearing from impeccable source that the same people being very vocal  in public about fighting to the death are saying in private that it is virtually all over and no proposals towards a future are even worth  considering.  In other words, just accept it is over.  Something is not making sense, the public attitude and the private one are polar opposites.

10 hours ago, Huey said:

Exactly no virtually no one goes to the races now, even less now the genius are taking away the meetings the public had an actual demand for.

Yes...Gisborne, Wairoa, Waikouaiti and Omakau!

Go figure!

Thank God they left alone Tauhereikau!

22 hours ago, wobbly said:

I think the turning point for AJC was when they lost the Monday night bingo rent income.

They started selling land next to one of the busiest roads in NZ...below CV

Don’t know where you get your info Wobbles, but the dots you join are miles away from accurate!

Should be a member and then you might get the real picture.

cheers John

16 minutes ago, John Clydesdale said:

Don’t know where you get your info Wobbles, but the dots you join are miles away from accurate!

Should be a member and then you might get the real picture.

cheers John

Hi John, 

I certainly know of your expertise in so many things. (Through Robt and others) Tell is your (or at least the Clubs) side of the story.

i could be wrong but it seems that bullying by others has created the impasse.

Liz

Liz

I haven’t been on the Committee for a couple of years as I moved to the Bay Of Plenty. So not privy to current info. However, I do know that in my time there, what land was sold was at much better than values quoted in some quarters. As that info will remain confidential, it will not be disclosed. But Wobbles was talking about less than CV, strange really that he should mention that measure. As the Club created the titles for the land sold whilst I was on the Committee, therefore it didn’t have a CV per se. Hence my comment about joining the dots.

It is disappointing that this platform does have a lot of information discussed at length at times, when so much of the details in discussion are far removed from being accurate. Hyperbole is always good for a bit of dramatic effect I guess.

Cheers

John 

John,

I attended a meeting with your club hierarchy many moons ago. When I queried what their intentions were to upgrade their basic facilities for racegoers...the response was "whats wrong with them?"

Membership was never an option from there I'm afraid...but perhaps I'm just a crotchety old snob who no longer has the energy to prize his heels out of the carpet on his way to the bar.

3 minutes ago, John Clydesdale said:

It is disappointing that this platform does have a lot of information discussed at length at times, when so much of the details in discussion are far removed from being accurate. Hyperbole is always good for a bit of dramatic effect I guess.

Cheers

John 

Details are hard to come by when the wagons have been circled for nearly two decades....what else would you expect?

59 minutes ago, John Clydesdale said:

Liz

I haven’t been on the Committee for a couple of years as I moved to the Bay Of Plenty. So not privy to current info. However, I do know that in my time there, what land was sold was at much better than values quoted in some quarters. As that info will remain confidential, it will not be disclosed. But Wobbles was talking about less than CV, strange really that he should mention that measure. As the Club created the titles for the land sold whilst I was on the Committee, therefore it didn’t have a CV per se. Hence my comment about joining the dots.

Cheers

John 

CV in 2014 was $2.8 million. AJC sold for $2.75 million. Land was a lemon?

And as for winter tracks and racing, everyone knows AVONDALE is the best track in the country. 

I mean that septic tank at ellerslie and the shit drain at Puke are better racing surfaces ?, get the fk.  

All Avondale ever needed was a fair suck of the sav  ... :rcfe-cool-2:

44 minutes ago, Archer said:

And as for winter tracks and racing, everyone knows AVONDALE is the best track in the country. 

I mean that septic tank at ellerslie and the shit drain at Puke are better racing surfaces ?, get the fk.  

All Avondale ever needed was a fair suck of the sav  ... :rcfe-cool-2:

You might be right about the track Archer. It’s a pity many believe it wasn’t matched by good Administration! Otherwise they probably wouldn’t be in their current position. 

Always going to be a problem when certain individuals have a secondary interest.  But the track surface is undeniably one of the best in the country and the surrounds could easily be rebuilt, to be a superb racetrack.  Plus its always has been a wonderful local amenity. I have no ties to the place, but consider it a local asset and I can't see how Racing NZ or whatever they call themselves, could possibly believe that they will get A SINGLE CENT from the club or community.  

I would go as far to say, fudge the TAB/RITA whatever and continue to have on course only meetings (Trials ?) or similar events. Keep the markets, refurbish the main stand and run untold different events.  

I have always said, that people will come to watch horses running, TAB or no TAB. So just stick the middle finger to those arseholes currently running horse racing in NZ in to the ground, and deliver more goods/events to the local economy.  

Well said Archer

Been to Avondale a few times even the night races once yes the grandstand is a problem but they do not need a huge grandstand anymore..

A perfect place for Shane Jones to sling a few million to build something modest and he will be able to say I have saved the racing industry millions because I think there will be a lot of water to run under the bridge with litigations etc etc before we see Avondale people happy

8 hours ago, Archer said:

Always going to be a problem when certain individuals have a secondary interest.  But the track surface is undeniably one of the best in the country and the surrounds could easily be rebuilt, to be a superb racetrack.  Plus its always has been a wonderful local amenity. I have no ties to the place, but consider it a local asset and I can't see how Racing NZ or whatever they call themselves, could possibly believe that they will get A SINGLE CENT from the club or community.  

I would go as far to say, fudge the TAB/RITA whatever and continue to have on course only meetings (Trials ?) or similar events. Keep the markets, refurbish the main stand and run untold different events.  

I have always said, that people will come to watch horses running, TAB or no TAB. So just stick the middle finger to those arseholes currently running horse racing in NZ in to the ground, and deliver more goods/events to the local economy.  

Personally I think any racecourse that is sold for housing is waste of good land,same as good farmland being built on,more people just creating more problems I don't know if that is part of the topic but I just thought I'd say that anyway.

12 hours ago, wobbly said:

John,

I attended a meeting with your club hierarchy many moons ago. When I queried what their intentions were to upgrade their basic facilities for racegoers...the response was "whats wrong with them?"

Membership was never an option from there I'm afraid...but perhaps I'm just a crotchety old snob who no longer has the energy to prize his heels out of the carpet on his way to the bar.

What is this obsession with facilities?

A club that only going to be given Industry day race meetings would be mad to invest heavily in facilities, a complete and utter waste of capital!

48 minutes ago, Huey said:

What is this obsession with facilities?

A club that only going to be given Industry day race meetings would be mad to invest heavily in facilities, a complete and utter waste of capital!

There is nothing wrong with facilities its always been a myth that there is.

Its just that people see the old grandstand and make judgments from that.

Interesting how the Avondale Bowls saga changed the way land sales are dealt with. Not implying in any way Avondale Jockey Club tainted with the same brush.

Suspended real estate agent Aaron Drever has been banned for life from joining any bowling club in New Zealand.
"We cannot allow clubs to be mismanaged in the way that Avondale Bowling Club has been in recent years," he said. 
"It is important that committee members of any club understand that they have significant responsibilities to run the club to the highest possible standards in all aspects of club governance and management."
Vyver said the issues around the Avondale club had caused the regional bowls governing body to make changes to its constitution. 
"We now require clubs to communicate with us prior to making any significant decisions, like land sales or redevelopments," he said.
"Previously, we've had no control over it."

"

2 hours ago, slam dunk said:

There is nothing wrong with facilities its always been a myth that there is.

Its just that people see the old grandstand and make judgments from that.

Interesting how the Avondale Bowls saga changed the way land sales are dealt with. Not implying in any way Avondale Jockey Club tainted with the same brush.

Suspended real estate agent Aaron Drever has been banned for life from joining any bowling club in New Zealand.
"We cannot allow clubs to be mismanaged in the way that Avondale Bowling Club has been in recent years," he said. 
"It is important that committee members of any club understand that they have significant responsibilities to run the club to the highest possible standards in all aspects of club governance and management."
Vyver said the issues around the Avondale club had caused the regional bowls governing body to make changes to its constitution. 
"We now require clubs to communicate with us prior to making any significant decisions, like land sales or redevelopments," he said.
"Previously, we've had no control over it."

"

For those who may not know a common link btwn Avondale Bowling Club & Avondale committee, look up the background history and see which names pop up associated with a member of the Avondale committee who with his wife of the same name have a long history of dishonesty & are known unfavorably for incidents that Police know about, particularly circa 2003 when appalling and unacceptable personal attacks took place on Racing industry participants and public figures.

It would be good to see those people accountable as they have caused significant damage to the integrity of racing.