RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Avondale one of 10 galloping venues frozen out

22 minutes ago, nomates said:

I want to ask a question . 

If RITA/NZTR and all the tracks are part of the one entity and as such tracks are essentially owned by the wider racing industry , then to whom does the responsibility fall to maintain said facilities and not allow them to fall into disrepair ? . The individual  club/clubs that utilize each track or the parent body ?

Just a question that has been raised by a non racing friend .

My non racing friend thinks that it falls to the parent body .

The thing is at this minute they don't belong to the wider racing community, they belong to their members and their communities.  If they belonged to the wider racing industry there would be no need to change the racing law to seize the assets surely , they could do that without changing racing law.

3 minutes ago, Mr Spyro said:

The thing is at this minute they don't belong to the wider racing community, they belong to their members and their communities.  If they belonged to the wider racing industry there would be no need to change the racing law to seize the assets surely , they could do that without changing racing law.

I appreciate not legally , i was meaning more in spirit of being one entity , the racing industry .

Interesting you say they belong to their members and their communities , my sentiments also .

Therefor should those communities not also be consulted as to what they want to happen to the community asset .

10 minutes ago, nomates said:

I appreciate not legally , i was meaning more in spirit of being one entity , the racing industry .

Interesting you say they belong to their members and their communities , my sentiments also .

Therefor should those communities not also be consulted as to what they want to happen to the community asset .

I would have thought so but doesn't look like that chance will arise. One thing we haven't touched on , is how long the legal thing could drag this out.  It won't happen overnight and we have an election.  There is no guarantee if National won any of this would go ahead, or the Racing Act if law by then, wouldn't get overturned.  Just more uncertainty for the industry.

6 minutes ago, Mr Spyro said:

I would have thought so but doesn't look like that chance will arise. One thing we haven't touched on , is how long the legal thing could drag this out.  It won't happen overnight and we have an election. National are pledging from what I have been told to reverse Winston's act if it had passed by then.

Dragged out and costly for racing body when we can least afford to spend .

I think Nationals pledge is more about electioneering votes than caring about the industry , their history isn't great .

Closest analogy I can come up with is a religious faith...let's go with Catholic.

Thriving throughout most of the 20th century in NZ, churches quickly pop up in most towns and cities, willingly built and maintained by the generosity and voluntary labour of the faithful masses.

Modern life (and a few fiddlefests by the management) see the congregations dwindling.

Now each church building needs cash for earthquake strenghtening, continued maintenance and operating costs.

So who pays to keep each church up to public use standard?

Who owns the building if no one pays?

Does the current passing set of hymn singers get to decide?

Tough one I'd suggest.

3 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

And Edward Rennell is in charge..,so not a surprise we’ve got what we’ve got is it.....? 

Edward Rennell is in charge of what? Dates?

He’s the Ex Chief of HRNZ!

That about the equivalent of Glenda Hughes becoming CEO of the Greyhounds. 

Frecking unbelievable. 

My experience is slightly different. 
The TAB have always had lot of say, in fact over the years, made massive changes to the Calendar to maximise betting turnover, based in their modelling!
There goes that word again! 
What did they call the calendar? Someone will remember. 

"Avondale hasn't cost the industry one cent"

So what about 3 months ago when a meeting was abandoned when they couldn't afford to pay for watering?

Or when we are stuck in traffic travelling to and from.

And the only reason the track is "okay" in winter is because they had a 18 month hiatus when broke. Again.

Avondale JC could have potentially been an industry leader - given their massive asset. Instead this will likely end poorly for all concerned, with the only winners being lawyers.

They were made to race on Tuesdays (dats) and to my knowledge most people work at that time so they were behind the eight ball anyway.      Not really perfect for a club in the middle of the country's biggest population area - what show did they have.      And Ellerslie just grinned! 

I’m pretty sure that back around 2006, Ellerslie (ARC) was trying to get a merger going with AVONDALE. But it fizzed out from the Avondale side. Which Club has gone from strength to strength? 

16 minutes ago, Trump said:

I’m pretty sure that back around 2006, Ellerslie (ARC) was trying to get a merger going with AVONDALE. But it fizzed out from the Avondale side. Which Club has gone from strength to strength? 

To be fair apart from the  few ARC big days , Magic Millions etc,  some of their weekend crowds don't look much bigger than Avondale midweek.   One friend said in a rather black way "   David Berokwitz could fire into the crowd there and not hit a soul "     Fancy getting beaten by Wairoa for turnover.   I always thought rightly or wrongly that Avondale's off course figures were among the higher for clubs.    The reasons why the merger was turned down are too extensive to detail here.

38 minutes ago, Trump said:

Too blinkered for merger talks I'm afraid Trump. Instead sold off land (below CV) to pay down large chunk of their debt.

16 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Anyone that thinks this will not get messy.......:rolleyes:

9A305689-D725-4DCB-8023-A0FAB2D6CF48.jpeg

Typical work of Boil and Skimmer.

The proposed Bill clearly states that established community interests and leases are to be part of any review process.

1 hour ago, Mr Spyro said:

To be fair apart from the  few ARC big days , Magic Millions etc,  some of their weekend crowds don't look much bigger than Avondale midweek.   One friend said in a rather black way "   David Berokwitz could fire into the crowd there and not hit a soul "     Fancy getting beaten by Wairoa for turnover.   I always thought rightly or wrongly that Avondale's off course figures were among the higher for clubs.    The reasons why the merger was turned down are too extensive to detail here.

Instead of reasons why the merger was turned down, it would be better to list the reasons why it “should have” gone ahead! 

1 hour ago, Trump said:

Instead of reasons why the merger was turned down, it would be better to list the reasons why it “should have” gone ahead! 

I would have thought that fundamentally it did , ARC got Avondale's 2 biggest races , Avondale got midweek dates .

20 minutes ago, John Clydesdale said:

So Nomates

How did those races happen to go to Ellerslie?

cheers

They got them when Avondale shut down for 2 years .    The Auckland Racing Club kindly offered them back to Avondale but the  God's on high vetoed the races going back there,

It will be up to the club's members to make a decision prior to change of Racing Act. I assume it will be a lengthy battle and could drag on beyond the election.    Just forget about it being Avondale for a minute and think of principles involved and who they might have their greedy little eyes on next. This will give them the right to come and seize carte blanch any land they fancy.      If you belonged to any club, that had built up assets over a century or more , would you  all complete honesty trust this bunch of dipshits  and just hand it over thinking they would do the right thing ?   This is Winston we're talking about........   They have have left a trail of stuff ups behind them,  just my personal opinion but I'd rather  trust  my assets with  Bonnie and Clyde,  than this woeful bunch of Tom Noddy's.

10 hours ago, nomates said:

I would have thought that fundamentally it did , ARC got Avondale's 2 biggest races , Avondale got midweek dates .

If that’s you’re idea of a “merger” then  it’s no wonder the Racing Industry is stuffed!

23 hours ago, berzerk said:

"Avondale hasn't cost the industry one cent"

So what about 3 months ago when a meeting was abandoned when they couldn't afford to pay for watering?

Or when we are stuck in traffic travelling to and from.

And the only reason the track is "okay" in winter is because they had a 18 month hiatus when broke. Again.

Avondale JC could have potentially been an industry leader - given their massive asset. Instead this will likely end poorly for all concerned, with the only winners being lawyers.

I think that is one of the stupidest posts I've read on the subject.