RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
lamour

Standard Stake Distribution

Distribution of stakes had been standardised 55% 15.5% 8% 4.5% 3%  others 2% each.    In a $7,500 dollar race running last will get you $150.   As an owner,  if my horse runs down the track I couldn’t care less if my horse wins $100 or $150.   It is good though to get the drivers fee paid.    With these smaller stakes I feel more money should be going to the winner & place getters.  2% is too much for running last.  

9 minutes ago, lamour said:

Distribution of stakes had been standardised 55% 15.5% 8% 4.5% 3%  others 2% each.    In a $7,500 dollar race running last will get you $150.   As an owner,  if my horse runs down the track I couldn’t care less if my horse wins $100 or $150.   It is good though to get the drivers fee paid.    With these smaller stakes I feel more money should be going to the winner & place getters.  2% is too much for running last.  

Couldn't agree more

The point of sport, apart from the Green/PC mantra that it is participation that matters, is that wiiners get rewarded

Mikie

Think an owner nowadays need to be rewarded in some shape or form as the training fees have more than doubled in 10 years. To get $600 for 4 starts a month minus the drivers fee gives you something towards paying the training fee of around 2k. Got to keep owners in the game longer otherwise training ranks will deplete.

1 hour ago, 2Piper said:

Think an owner nowadays need to be rewarded in some shape or form as the training fees have more than doubled in 10 years. To get $600 for 4 starts a month minus the drivers fee gives you something towards paying the training fee of around 2k. Got to keep owners in the game longer otherwise training ranks will deplete.

I expect to be rewarded when I win or fill a place.   I think most sports people don’t necessarily expect much from finishing out of a place.   Also, most horses nowadays have multiple owners so $150 less driving fee leaves about $60 to be divided typically 4 or 5 ways.  

3 hours ago, 2Piper said:

Four starts a month, usually does not happen, we now have smaller stakes so it is harder to get close to the trainers fees. If we are going to race for lesser stakes, we should get smaller fields over short distances. We have bred our horses to American speed so why not have shorter races to suit, then we can have a twelve race night at 20 min apart and go back next week, wall to wall action to suit the younger ones. Look at Aussie, they do this and a lot of horses are racing for smaller stakes and have had a lot of starts, but they have a bit of coin along the way in the bank. We are stuck in a time warp and are up to our waist in quicksand and sinking, time to reinvent the wheel so to speak

On 5/27/2020 at 4:26 PM, One more lap said:

Four starts a month, usually does not happen, we now have smaller stakes so it is harder to get close to the trainers fees. If we are going to race for lesser stakes, we should get smaller fields over short distances. We have bred our horses to American speed so why not have shorter races to suit, then we can have a twelve race night at 20 min apart and go back next week, wall to wall action to suit the younger ones. Look at Aussie, they do this and a lot of horses are racing for smaller stakes and have had a lot of starts, but they have a bit of coin along the way in the bank. We are stuck in a time warp and are up to our waist in quicksand and sinking, time to reinvent the wheel so to speak

Race at Alexandra Park, you'll have your wish for smaller fields

I think the shorter distance= easier on your horse isn't always correct

What's harder for example, drawing 7 over 1609metres in 1.56, or going 2400m in 3.08?

Fair comment, but I would rather be stuck four back on the fence in an eight horse field than a full field. The driver then is usually thinking next week at the 600. We have to try something to increase turnover and the younger ones just might be the future. With no tote staff, we need cell phone punters and they are great with those, think about it, drink, punt, race, repeat process twelve times over three hours.

5 hours ago, One more lap said:

Fair comment, but I would rather be stuck four back on the fence in an eight horse field than a full field. The driver then is usually thinking next week at the 600. We have to try something to increase turnover and the younger ones just might be the future. With no tote staff, we need cell phone punters and they are great with those, think about it, drink, punt, race, repeat process twelve times over three hours.

I have no argument with your desire for shorter intervals between races

However the bigger the field size, the more the T/O is what we have been told for years

Mikie

This is really a win loose conversation on field sizes, smaller fields give a better chance of a winning punt with maybe a smaller divvy but if you spend four dollars and get seven back, you move on to the next with another four or more, small punters might not save us but the winnings are like those on a poker machine, they come back for more and have a fun night out with their mates. This is an entertainment industry as well as a job provider and as we speak, it is more of an export industry, get the horse running and prop up Aussie fields by selling it, you cannot even pay the bills racing here. Most racing stock here have a price on their head, we the owners are  just waiting for the offer and I am a realist on the value of my stock, a willing seller, the returns to the man who actually pays all the bills are not good enough, but those in the trough who cannot see past there snout do not care, Ask Winston how many small owners he knows in all codes and does he care, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO