RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

How we can save harness racing in the CD - Manawatu's solution

Lets hope the "slash and burn merchants" don't  feel too entrenched in their 2 track North Island policy  and give Manawatu a chance for survival of the region (compare with the 14 South Island venues.) As Phil Fleming states there are enough trainers in the wider area to support the innovative proposal. Really the dog option or  with Gallops somewhere say joint meetings (awapuni/otaki/Wanganui/New Plymouth) cut costs but keep hope alive,.I also wonder if wall to wall trotting Cambridge/Auckland will prove an overkill as many thurs/Friday clashes have proved detrimental in recent seasons. .Manawatu would be a welcome addition. for punters and horses. 

true mike but lets be pragmatic..any dates are good dates.  even the shorter meetings with greyhounds would save costs and allow trainers to stay in the area. otherwise they will eventually move or retire. either way it would be detrimental for harness racing.how stupid.for the people employed to "promote harness racing to a. make it difficult then close it down. .if I was the president I would not open the facilities for greyhounds every week unless harness racing is permitted.  HRNZ or RIDA do not have rights over the freehold at Manawatu.. I wish we could all work together but there appears other agendas at play. especially when the departing CEO (peter Jensen) was not prepared to even reply to my suggestions. 

The Clear error of judgement to close Manawatu raceway along with all other opportunities for harness racing fans already can be seen with a large number of horses on the market offered at much less than cost . It is indicative of HRNZ and RIDA making a huge mistake in giving a guide to the future by removing all lower performing horses that could have worked up to better classes through Lower NI racing. I see even weanlings by top sires such as sweet Lou,Bettors delight,A rocknroll dance at "giveaway " prices. .  I know several owners who are getting out as soon as they can.  This only the start .where will it end ?. Maybe even some of the big trainers may end up in melton or menangle. By then might as well close HRNZ and hand all matters to the TAB/RIDA. Poor Management clearly shown in recent decisions will then mean the demise of trotting in NZ.  (quelle domage) 

Stables. show me another region in NZ o/t Central Districts who have lost their anchor club (Hutt Park) 20 years ago and survived without Industry hand outs.

These guys have  kept the sport alive in their region , rekindledi interest and are rewarded by their peers with a kick in the guts. ie closure.

To consider no racing between Christchurch and Cambridge is non sensical AND WOULD DO UNREAPAIRABLE DAMAGE TO THE SPORT OF HARNESS RACING.

My advice is to maintain the STATUS QUO for now haven given notice to ALL stakeholders that closure is on the cards IF agreed terms and conditions are not met IN THE FUTURE,

Form a CD consortium ,,allocate a set number of dates to cover the region and let them work it  where and when with the 12 month deadline. 

Let the stakeholders determine their own future.

Dont just shut the door on them. After all what is another 12 months. Not much to ask. 

Given this region is the most effected by the dates I submit that in equity they should be given an extended period to review their future.

If we want a future we must encourage growth.  not by killing an established sport in a large educational city, or solid kids cart base .

Give them 12 months and review the position.

The new motorway from Wellington to open next year will slash the transit time providing  NEW MARKET opportunities. eg .Creating a one hour drive from the affluent Kapiti Coast for the affluent

and (or bored ) retirees on the Kapiti Coast.  Bus trips on Tuesday afternoons. could be a regular feature. ? Endless unexplored. potental.t

At least let the Consortium explore these opportunities before you can it.

PS  Stables. Find fault with this approach.

Ivan W. McNicholl

Well Said Ivan, the wide ramifications of a huge region closure will be detrimental for those in any part of the industry and would be counter productive. It is not the way to save the TAB and many alternatives are in train for consideration which would actually work on a commercial basis. As President for Life (PFL) it would be great for you to organise Bus trips, but be very careful ...LOL.:rcf-happy-7:

John. Thank you. Good point re buses and COVID.

Shall we say  the new motorway will make it a pleasurable mid week drive for them.

I could help place their bets oncourse on a roster to overcome their being no tellers.?

Anything is possible just given the chance.

21 hours ago, iwmcn said:

Stables. show me another region in NZ o/t Central Districts who have lost their anchor club (Hutt Park) 20 years ago and survived without Industry hand outs.

These guys have  kept the sport alive in their region , rekindledi interest and are rewarded by their peers with a kick in the guts. ie closure.

To consider no racing between Christchurch and Cambridge is non sensical AND WOULD DO UNREAPAIRABLE DAMAGE TO THE SPORT OF HARNESS RACING.

My advice is to maintain the STATUS QUO for now haven given notice to ALL stakeholders that closure is on the cards IF agreed terms and conditions are not met IN THE FUTURE,

Form a CD consortium ,,allocate a set number of dates to cover the region and let them work it  where and when with the 12 month deadline. 

Let the stakeholders determine their own future.

Dont just shut the door on them. After all what is another 12 months. Not much to ask. 

Given this region is the most effected by the dates I submit that in equity they should be given an extended period to review their future.

If we want a future we must encourage growth.  not by killing an established sport in a large educational city, or solid kids cart base .

Give them 12 months and review the position.

The new motorway from Wellington to open next year will slash the transit time providing  NEW MARKET opportunities. eg .Creating a one hour drive from the affluent Kapiti Coast for the affluent

and (or bored ) retirees on the Kapiti Coast.  Bus trips on Tuesday afternoons. could be a regular feature. ? Endless unexplored. potental.t

At least let the Consortium explore these opportunities before you can it.

PS  Stables. Find fault with this approach.

Ivan W. McNicholl

Good luck with that. Stables wrote the book on doom and gloom.