RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mikie

"Those Clubs might race at alternative Venues"

Tasman Man

You are all over the show. You never provide any facts yourself, your modus operandi seems to be to ask me to provide them for you (lease figure, /O's)

Here are some facts for you

1. Going to Nelson from Christchurch via Murchison in a Truck is 1.5 hours longer than going to Blenheim

2. The last season that there are figures available for, based on TAB Commissions paid, Marlborough had T'O's 4% higher than Nelson in total

3. Nelson may have higher On-course T/O's in January but as you stated, they benefit from dates in the holiday period whereas Marlborough don't

4. In order to obtain the higher On-course T/O's Nelson had, on average, 35 more Tote windows open over the 2 days in January. At a cost of over $260.00 per window (and don't show your ignorance by pretending to know how that is calculated Gary, just ask if you do not know) plus bus travel, travel allowance, meal allowance and accomodation the Nett result to the Club would be the same as Marlborough's, if not less

5. The Tasman Makos have been a playing success but the majority of players are imported. The success of the team has not translated into better playing numbers at JAB level nor Senior level.

You cannot take 1 day, a favourable date, and extend that to give you a financial viability of a business. If that was the case a Restaurant would take their best day, say New Years Eve, and multiply the takings by 365 to do their Budget. I doubt the Bank Manager would lend on that

You must know that the Nelson Harness Racing Club were insolvent, yes Gary, insolvent. They were bailed out by the tax-payer in real terms, to the tune of over $100,000 by the write-off of incorrectly claimed GST over a number of years. If you can't follow this then you are not very well informed, are you Gary? 

Mikie

I find it hard to believe that Nelson has been allocated race dates especialy over Marlborough. I would have expected both to been dropped from the schedule. How many horses are trained at these tracks, what is the accumulated cost of travel for horses to race at these tracks. It is time for trainers and administrators to realize that if racing is to continue, owners must be able to see at least a chance of getting a return on racing their horse. Costs must be reduced and horses must be able to race at tracks in close proximity to where they are being trained

In the last few years clubs out of the way have been affected by over racing in the main areas so the fields have become smaller,that's where the problem has come about for some clubs like forbury,nelson manawatu etc etc  the Westport cup now attracts a small field  most times,just by shifting the racing to a lot less tracks will become boring repetitive,northern trotting is already ,it will only get worse.

11 minutes ago, Stables said:

I find it hard to believe that Nelson has been allocated race dates especialy over Marlborough. I would have expected both to been dropped from the schedule. How many horses are trained at these tracks, what is the accumulated cost of travel for horses to race at these tracks. It is time for trainers and administrators to realize that if racing is to continue, owners must be able to see at least a chance of getting a return on racing their horse. Costs must be reduced and horses must be able to race at tracks in close proximity to where they are being trained

Stables

Tell me, the 77th meeting at Addington

What will on-course patronage and turnover be like

Racing should be taken to the regions, where else will the next generation of trainers come from if they have never been introduced to it?

Mikie

Tasman Man (again)

Why do you think that it would have been a good idea to sell some of Waterlea Racecourse to the Education Board when their offer was 25-35% of the unimproved value of the same area for residential housing?

No doubt you have a brilliant reason for selling below value which I can't wait to hear

Mikie

4 hours ago, Mikie said:

Lastly Tasman Man, since you seem keen on reducing costs

Where did the Tote staff that worked on Nelson’s super Sunday come from?

You will find they came in buses, sometimes from Christchurch and always from Blenheim

That they got paid a travel allowance and that they stayed in paid accomodation, A higher on-course T/O doesn’t go very far does it Gary?

Mikie

Of course they did.......with over 20 windows needed for the busy day...I thought most came from Christchurch .

In a bus , then they went to iconic Kumara gallops on the Saturday.

At the January Wellington Cup day ,tote staff were flown down from Auckland for it. 

These are the costs that need to be driven out of the system , so good on the TAB for getting on to this type of things.

What's your point here ?

For an inane person I seem to have tickled your fancy ....ignore me ,I'm just an enthusiastic participant who knows a little about a lot of things which interest me.

You are a passionate Harness racing person involved in owning,training ,driving , administrating and fundraising.The Industry you have devoted your life to has been on a lengthy spiral of decline and it has nearly gone Bankrupt.

Instead of accepting the above and getting outsiders and experts to come in and help with a plan to possibly future proof the sport ,you have leapt on Social media to stir things up to basically help your own Club and personal interest. You even have a contact on Board or high up winding you up.

You called people idiots and pulled red herrings out to try and support your purpose.

Its not working...ignore me !

No, I don’t have any contact on the Board, who said that?

The point I am making about the costs is pretty simple. Would you rather sell $100 worth of goods that costs $80 to produce? Or would you tether sell $70 of goods that costs $20 to produce?

Not once have you put forward any figures, all you do is ask me to provide them, and when I do and they don’t suit you, you change tact

I have not previously called you an idiot but I do take exception to your statement that you know a little about some things. I haven’t seen any proof of that

You dodge things that you are beaten on . For example

You asked what the “huge” lease cost was. I told you $40000 Not another peep from you about that

You asked about Turnovers. I told you. Once again, not a peep from you

You state that the Marlborough Clubs should have sold land to the School. You had no idea what money they offered. When this was pointed out to you, again not a peep from you

You either didn’t know, or don’t want to admit, that your Club was insolvent and saved by the taxpayer funding their incorrect GST claims. Again, not a peep from you 

You can’t comprehend that a higher T/O is negated by higher costs to achieve it

You state that I am posting to help my personal interest. Tell me Gary, what personal interest do you mean? I can’t think of one

You also state that I am posting to help my Club. Again, please explain because I can’t fathom how any Club is my Club?

The only intelligent thing you have contributed is to say that you should be ignored

Mikie

Perhaps that would be because I have a greater knowledge of the area than I do, say, of the Deep South?

Perhaps it is because I don’t tolerate fools lightly?

Perhaps a combination of both?

Try reading the posts and give me 1 example of where Tasman Man has refuted any figures? Hell, I’ll even take 1 example of where he hasn’t given up after being provided with figures (you can’t count the drivel he posts once he is beaten)

It is easy to ascertain that if you live in the North Island, you are from Cambridge, Auckland or close proximity. What’s the difference?

I am just as passionate about the total loss of all venues in the North Island other than 2. It’s just that so far not many idiot, oops sorry, not many posters have posted idiotic comments about that

Tasman Man seems to make play that I live in Blenheim. He lives, or used to live in, Nelson. Why am I parochial and he isn’t?

Mikie

I'm not saying he is not parochial. We all are to a greater or lesser extent. I will say that Tasman Man and I have crossed swords on several occasions but neither of us has resorted to calling the other an idiot. On the whole I find Tasman Mans posts well thought out and constructive

On 5/15/2020 at 8:25 PM, Idolmite said:

The Thames Trotting Club has raced at Alexandra Park for years......

Yes, and they are 1.5 hours from Auckland aren’t they, plus they were handy for Auckland to charge a significant rent which Thames  paid from gaming grants

A bit different to Marlborough racing at Addington

Can you give me 1 instance of how Marlborough racing at Addington benefits anyone in Blenheim?

Mikie

5 hours ago, Mikie said:

Tasman Man (again)

Why do you think that it would have been a good idea to sell some of Waterlea Racecourse to the Education Board when their offer was 25-35% of the unimproved value of the same area for residential housing?

No doubt you have a brilliant reason for selling below value which I can't wait to hear

Mikie

No idea at all....but seems it needs to be put to better use.

Hardly gets any community use ,no more than a school hall or gym after hours.

Maybe the odd darts or table tennis comp or pilates.Hardly a Convention centre or Equestrian academy.

Put it to use.....

Marlborough Harness can use Nelson or Kaikoura ,both have an outstanding Summer raceday currently.

No ,Nelson not crash hot .........but has that summer date when Christchurch in the region so it fulfils Racing Minister desire not to exclude a region.

He will be aware that in RITA 2018 Economic impact ,the region rated the lowest in NZ .

One question......why did the RITA report include Kaikoura in Canterbury while it generally thought Kaikoura in Marlborough and races on Marlborough anniversary day ?

Was it ever considered to form a Racing Tasman merger and work collaboratively as Harness Southland have ? [ Similar to what saved Rugby !Tasman Makos .....Fins Up !]

32 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

No idea at all....but seems it needs to be put to better use.

Hardly gets any community use ,no more than a school hall or gym after hours.

Maybe the odd darts or table tennis comp or pilates.Hardly a Convention centre or Equestrian academy.

Put it to use.....

Marlborough Harness can use Nelson or Kaikoura ,both have an outstanding Summer raceday currently.

No ,Nelson not crash hot .........but has that summer date when Christchurch in the region so it fulfils Racing Minister desire not to exclude a region.

He will be aware that in RITA 2018 Economic impact ,the region rated the lowest in NZ .

One question......why did the RITA report include Kaikoura in Canterbury while it generally thought Kaikoura in Marlborough and races on Marlborough anniversary day ?

Was it ever considered to form a Racing Tasman merger and work collaboratively as Harness Southland have ? [ Similar to what saved Rugby !Tasman Makos .....Fins Up !]

Prey tell me what benefit there is in Marlborough racing at Nelson? What benefit to anyone living in Blenheim?

The RITA report probably included Kaikoura in Canterrbury  because, well, because it is in Canterbury, not Marlborough, it always has been. To quote you, use an Atlas

Kaikoura have an outstanding raceday in November. Are you silly enough to think that a raceday there in, say, June will be as good? It's like saying Addington have a good day in November so the other 76 will also be great successes

There is a collaborative entity in our area just as there is in Southland. It's called the Seddon Shield District Clubs and the Chairman is Tony Thomas. Try to keep up Gary

The Makos didn't save any Rugby Gary, go to your local Club and ask them about the decrease in numbers

I heard an apt saying today, I was told never to debate with a halfwit, as they only drag you down to their level. 

You ask me questions, I give you the answers, then you avoid that line of debate (examples the lease cost, the Turnovers, the Education Board offer)

What is the point of me giving you all the answers that you don't have if once you get them and they don't suit your view you flitter off on another tangent?

Mikie

5 minutes ago, Mikie said:

Prey tell me what benefit there is in Marlborough racing at Nelson? What benefit to anyone living in Blenheim?

Kaikoura is in Canterbury, not Marlborough, it always has been. To quote you, use an Atlas

There is a collaborative entity in our area just as there is in Southland. It's called the Seddon Shield District Clubs and the Chairman is Tony Thomas. Try to keep up Gary

The Makos didn't save any Rugby Gary, go to your local Club and ask them about the decrease in numbers

Mikie

Ok...thanks for clearing up that the Kaikoura day not on Marlborough's Anniversary day.Just a coincidence.

Blenheim folk swarm the shops in Nelson on that day and always seems to me they visit quite regularly.

I often made the trip for both Junior rep sport and some senior stuff too. About 1 hr 20 in car comfortable.

Makos been great for the area.....gave several of my sons friends a real boost in career path.

Before Makos, Rugby was nearly dead.....the main ground was similar to a lot of Racing facilities...a disgrace .The Old  Stand was a 1920's special !

The merger triggered a massive change.....the ground was awarded a couple of World cup games and I think received more cos of the Earthquakes in Chch.

Australia, Italy ,Russia USA all played there and Italy was based in Nelson...Tasman.....Fins Up !

This lead to Cricket going ahead to as they forced to look to future as well ...resulting in a cricket venue which hosts NZ one day Internationals.

I attended National sports tournaments with Nelson and Tasman teams which included Marlborough players , they always had some brilliant young athletes and I also helped organise weekly coaching over the hill as well and Blenheim teams often travelled weekly for club comps.But the small Town mentality....whats in it for us often existed.That slowed the Makos merger ,cos Blenheim owned their ground I believe while the bigger Nelson rugby had more players but no assets ...nothing !Blenheim  also had a better Basketball gym at the time , a better pool ,a better concert hall...I drove over to see Michael Barrymore ...but little else except small town syndrome.

Roll on 2020......MHRC a 100 yr old club has the asset , a few hobby trainers with a few horses who I can't name .....Monaro Mia ????, ABest has some .....they have a lot of equity incl $700 k cash and deposits invested and they possibly face NIL meetings.There must be question mark over the track ,grass track often used for trots and they received $17 k of Industry money for track upgrade not so long ago plus applied for $236 k grant but was declined in 2019...please !!!!One meeting was run at Addington in 2018 !

The Annual report would be the most depressing one Ive read of Harness Clubs Ive read. 2019 was over $100k loss for basically the 4 x meetings.......but very strong Balance Sheet.

Yes...I agree Nelson too would not be good reading ...plus possibly poor Balance Sheet but they have that early January date ,the weekend Cantabrians head home ,and it bookends Kumara plus a better track.Plus it kinda follows on from Westport for those more relaxed trainers. And not so much small town syndrome in Nelson.

The Makos merger got them out of that and looking for the future !

It was pivotal !

Holiday xmas racing dates seem to be the best racing turnover days, weather permitting, looking at the Westport trotting club turnover, but there figures for the March meetings are a struggle, looks like they may have lost their date for the upcoming meeting in March.