RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Red Rum

Dates 20 21

Had a quick scroll , Omoto, Kumara , Reefton look like survived axe from quick scroll, good news imho, Kurow looks like got a date . Very surprised,  however imho the Coast did bloody well this year bar of course the pigs at Kumara but that bacon has been fried before . 

2 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Had a quick scroll , Omoto, Kumara , Reefton look like survived axe from quick scroll, good news imho, Kurow looks like got a date . Very surprised,  however imho the Coast did bloody well this year bar of course the pigs at Kumara but that bacon has been fried before . 

Yeah, I was surprised too, may not be a permanent thing but at least they get a chance to go again. 

Kumara has done a lot of work on the back straight.

2 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

Yeah, I was surprised too, may not be a permanent thing but at least they get a chance to go again. 

Omoto put on three cracking days last year , Reefton i think only lost that year the trots churned up track and Kumara due a change of luck . I really thought those tracks would be fall guys . 

Nathan Detroit 2021 Nuggets ? 

Coast already lost hokitika, pleased the rest have survived the cull for now, although not a big fan of kumara, track be the worst of the three, facilities very poor, but some love the place, haven't attended for some years, since their first abandoned meeting after the major track revamp, history will tell us certainly wasn't a success. 

12 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Omoto put on three cracking days last year , Reefton i think only lost that year the trots churned up track and Kumara due a change of luck . I really thought those tracks would be fall guys . 

Nathan Detroit 2021 Nuggets ? 

looking at the way he plaited his legs when last there, probably not...! although I know some of his owners would dearly love that idea.  He needs 2200 plus to be effective.  He managed an unsuitable 1800 pretty well last National meeting ,but only because the track was a heavy 25 .

17 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Wouldn't get too excited about them staying long term because if you look at what the sword has fallen on they aren't necessary following  Messara report on venue closures. Te Teko, Te Awamutu, Gisborne, Blenheim and Waikouaiti were all staying but now gone. So I think they will next year have another big clean out of venues. 

22 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Why don't they hold pig racing at Kumara? 

Is it because they have never had any pigs there? 

Or is it because the local pigs are quite smart (after all they can dig very straight lines, as seen on a different thread last year), and they know their options may be quite limited if they turn to racing? Especially with the current climate for NZ racing. 

In all seriousness though, I'm saving up all my pennies in my piggy bank until Kumara's big race day, I love it there.

Anybody that talks poorly of Kumara and their facilities oncourse, are just talking complete hogwash, and I get boared with all that talk. People (Aucklanders) bad mouthing it just have to stop swining and let the drove enjoy the day out. They (Aucklanders, and potentially RITA) simply snout get it, what it means to Coasters. 

At the end of the day I am just the piggy in the middle, between the club and RITA basically, so I'm not taking it for grunted that Kumara racecourse will exsist for too many more years, but I hope sow. 

Just have to hope this swine flu goes away before the end of the year, so I can get to the big day and then update my instaham profile pigture.

28 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Why don't they hold pig racing at Kumara? 

Is it because they have never had any pigs there? 

Or is it because the local pigs are quite smart (after all they can dig very straight lines, as seen on a different thread last year), and they know their options may be quite limited if they turn to racing? Especially with the current climate for NZ racing. 

In all seriousness though, I'm saving up all my pennies in my piggy bank until Kumara's big race day, I love it there.

Anybody that talks poorly of Kumara and their facilities oncourse, are just talking complete hogwash, and I get boared with all that talk. People (Aucklanders) bad mouthing it just have to stop swining and let the drove enjoy the day out. They (Aucklanders, and potentially RITA) simply snout get it, what it means to Coasters. 

At the end of the day I am just the piggy in the middle, between the club and RITA basically, so I'm not taking it for grunted that Kumara racecourse will exsist for too many more years, but I hope sow. 

Just have to hope this swine flu goes away before the end of the year, so I can get to the big day and then update my instaham profile pigture.

Better get your order in for the weather there, with not a drop of rain, if its heavy rain they will be off again, and it's fine with a light shower be off as well, not much room for error there, just checkout how many abandonments since the track revamp.

35 minutes ago, Shad said:

Better get your order in for the weather there, with not a drop of rain, if its heavy rain they will be off again, and it's fine with a light shower be off as well, not much room for error there, just checkout how many abandonments since the track revamp.

Yes we are all too aware of that. 

That and any pigs about. 

It would appear that the Karaka Millions night is being moved one week earlier to 23rd January 2021.

I imagine the Karaka sales will be held a week earlier, but I have seen nothing in the news about this.  If anybody knows, please tell us.

I haven't had a look at the proposed dates yet as I know it will only depress me. I will do so soon.

The one thing I will say is don't let anyone tell you the cost benefit analysis shows it is justified on the basis that it will save trainers and owners the cost of having to travel to Blenheim and the East Coast. Owners choose to travel to these circuits for various reasons, and seem happy to do so. So any saving to owners is a total red herring. Getting rid of Blenheim doesn't mean stakes at Riccarton will increase. And not all horses like racing at Riccarton and Trentham, some prefer smaller turning tracks.

I can see the logic of moving the two big guineas races from Riccarton as virtually all of the horses come from the NI, and in that situation owners are compelled to travel their horses South at considerable expense. No one is compelled to travel to the East Coast or Blenheim.

If they are trying to eliminate horses having to travel to districts with no local horse population then surely the West Coast would be first to go.

It is also worth remembering that these meetings aren't generally being replaced with licences elsewhere, the licences are going altogether. So there will no longer be a $30,000 Cup on the East Coast, or a $25,000 Cup at Blenheim. Those horses just won't have opportunities elsewhere. And current and potential owners in those regions will gradually drift away. Even shares in the various big syndicates might prove difficult to sell in the neglected regions. Sponsors in the regions will probably be pleased to save their money and Racing will centre on the city tracks who can't attract sponsors as it is, let alone find sponsors for any additional meetings.

Before racing in the regions is destroyed I do think we should acknowledge the efforts of certain trainers, notably Myers, Rogerson, Baker and Forsman, and Te Akau, to support the regional meetings in the North, and Myers and the Parsons in the South. Without those trainers racing would have died in the regions years ago. 

I do think it is a misguided idea to eliminate certain tracks. How misguided it is will become more apparent to me when I have a closer look at the proposed calendar.

16 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I haven't had a look at the proposed dates yet as I know it will only depress me. I will do so soon.

The one thing I will say is don't let anyone tell you the cost benefit analysis shows it is justified on the basis that it will save trainers and owners the cost of having to travel to Blenheim and the East Coast. Owners choose to travel to these circuits for various reasons, and seem happy to do so. So any saving to owners is a total red herring. Getting rid of Blenheim doesn't mean stakes at Riccarton will increase. And not all horses like racing at Riccarton and Trentham, some prefer smaller turning tracks.

I can see the logic of moving the two big guineas races from Riccarton as virtually all of the horses come from the NI, and in that situation owners are compelled to travel their horses South at considerable expense. No one is compelled to travel to the East Coast or Blenheim.

If they are trying to eliminate horses having to travel to districts with no local horse population then surely the West Coast would be first to go.

It is also worth remembering that these meetings aren't generally being replaced with licences elsewhere, the licences are going altogether. So there will no longer be a $30,000 Cup on the East Coast, or a $25,000 Cup at Blenheim. Those horses just won't have opportunities elsewhere. And current and potential owners in those regions will gradually drift away. Even shares in the various big syndicates might prove difficult to sell in the neglected regions. Sponsors in the regions will probably be pleased to save their money and Racing will centre on the city tracks who can't attract sponsors as it is, let alone find sponsors for any additional meetings.

Before racing in the regions is destroyed I do think we should acknowledge the efforts of certain trainers, notably Myers, Rogerson, Baker and Forsman, and Te Akau, to support the regional meetings in the North, and Myers and the Parsons in the South. Without those trainers racing would have died in the regions years ago. 

I do think it is a misguided idea to eliminate certain tracks. How misguided it is will become more apparent to me when I have a closer look at the proposed calendar.

Yes youre right, nothing is thought out or discussed appropriately so that why you end up with decisions like this, someone says stands must be in great order to holder race meetings but then Kumara and plenty of others with sub standard stands are ok, horse population is paramount but then they race in plenty of places where few horses are trained. It's like that because its designed to suit a certain few and that will be the downfall in the end. 

Has anyone seen a report from NZTR or RITA I some kind of analysis completed to justify their decisions or the AWT for that matter? I am sick and tired of decisions made in this industry and then someone like Bernard coming out with platitudes of Corporate BS to justify it, this sounds about as factual as the $50m website that has taken us into the 18th century for racing- we need facts or this industry will be history very quickly in this country.

2 hours ago, Huey said:

Yes youre right, nothing is thought out or discussed appropriately so that why you end up with decisions like this, someone says stands must be in great order to holder race meetings but then Kumara and plenty of others with sub standard stands are ok, horse population is paramount but then they race in plenty of places where few horses are trained. It's like that because its designed to suit a certain few and that will be the downfall in the end. 

Has anyone seen a report from NZTR or RITA I some kind of analysis completed to justify their decisions or the AWT for that matter? I am sick and tired of decisions made in this industry and then someone like Bernard coming out with platitudes of Corporate BS to justify it, this sounds about as factual as the $50m website that has taken us into the 18th century for racing- we need facts or this industry will be history very quickly in this country.

I would love to see the cost benefit analysis that arrived at which tracks to close, and that proved all weather tracks would be a gold mine. It should be available under the freedom of information thingy.

As I mentioned above, I don't think saving connections a few dollars by not having to travel to regional meetings should even come into the equation. The only justification for closing regional tracks should be that it will mean stakes at Trentham, Awapuni and Riccarton will increase. And pigs might fly.

4 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

It is misguiding to promote the idea that tracks must be closed to racing to help bring industry costs under control without clarifying the industry savings these will bring . As of this moment i have yet to get an answer from any body from officialdom or from any racing participant as to the overall cost saving of any proposed track closure or an overall figure to the industry . Waipukurau and Avondale both lose their dates but are asked to maintain their tracks for trialing and possible meeting xfers , so where is the cost saving to the industry here ? Smoke and mirrors .

24 minutes ago, nomates said:

It is misguiding to promote the idea that tracks must be closed to racing to help bring industry costs under control without clarifying the industry savings these will bring . As of this moment i have yet to get an answer from any body from officialdom or from any racing participant as to the overall cost saving of any proposed track closure or an overall figure to the industry . Waipukurau and Avondale both lose their dates but are asked to maintain their tracks for trialing and possible meeting xfers , so where is the cost saving to the industry here ? Smoke and mirrors .

Surely they can't expect a closed track to be ready to go if a meeting needs to transfer? I can't recall Opaki, Bulls, Hororata, Beaumont, Tapanui ever being called into action like that. And they certainly didn't move Kumara to Hokitika this season.

17 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Surely they can't expect a closed track to be ready to go if a meeting needs to transfer? I can't recall Opaki, Bulls, Hororata, Beaumont, Tapanui ever being called into action like that. And they certainly didn't move Kumara to Hokitika this season.

They'll expect the track run by a bunch of volunteers to be ready to go should a meeting need to be transferred if they have done their utmost to sell it up.

8 minutes ago, Huey said:

They'll expect the track run by a bunch of volunteers to be ready to go should a meeting need to be transferred if they have done their utmost to sell it up.

Yes they will and it will cost the wider industry nothing to do so as it does at present .

On 5/18/2020 at 11:02 AM, We're Doomed said:

As in Messara Report the guideline was to keep racing in a district Eg Gisborne stay Wairoa go, so now the new idea is to save the TAB money and not service those types of venues is saving owners money. Not

40 minutes ago, Crow said:

As in Messara Report the guideline was to keep racing in a district Eg Gisborne stay Wairoa go, so now the new idea is to save the TAB money and not service those types of venues is saving owners money. Not

That has apparently now been ignored despite the clear instruction from Peters to RITA to operationalise the Messara report recommendations. No rationale provided. The only region not to have racing was Tasman and that has been the situation there for a long time and the subsequent impact review showed the devastating effects it had on interest and wagering in that area.

They know not what they do.

Further to Leggy's post, I had seen the figures where the off course thoroughbred betting per head in the Nelson area plummeted when the Nelson Jockey Club went into recess.   I hope, probably in vain, that RITA have considered those statistics before making their decision.  Harness and Dog betting remained unchanged.  They never ever had dogs and the harness racing continues.