RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Racing gone at 14 venues next season - check out all the race dates

The cynical part of me says this is the price for the $72 Mil . In saying that racing just couldn't keep going the way it was. Too many tracks (note: not clubs) for too few horses, population shifts etc

16 minutes ago, Huey said:

Same old tripe, closing venues , where is the facts and analysis supporting this? 

All we hear is it's the right thing to do, but we keep waiting for facts as to why it's the right thing to do , where are the $ figures to support this?

Or is it just in the theft of the land?

South Island gallops seem to have got off reasonably lightly  , I make that 5 race days on normal year,  Waikouaiti not flash racing to be fair , dominated mostly by  a few stables and not a serious betting proposition . 

Southern harness they seem really hit , though Wingatui won't be too missed on harness circuit maybe .How many trots raced there .

11 minutes ago, Huey said:

Same old tripe, closing venues , where is the facts and analysis supporting this? 

All we hear is it's the right thing to do, but we keep waiting for facts as to why it's the right thing to do , where are the $ figures to support this?

Hi Huey

I think it is sad to see country clubs not allocated race dates, but unfortunately I think this had to happen.  I know there are small clubs that prove to be a financial success, however I don't think this allows for the cost to RITA/NZTR to put these races on.  It has to be more expensive to put a race meeting on at Gisborne as opposed to Te Rapa, so this is is where the cost savings come in.

I think these clubs have the right to continue as they see fit, hold picnic meetings etc.  Not to have their track confiscated.

9 minutes ago, Huey said:

Attempted Huey , they haven't got it yet . With a bare bones operation , which agree i with , the only real savings must travel and accommodation for staff to places like Gisy and Wairoa . But then why no Waipuk , will cost more to go to Hastings . As you say there is no detail and that is what is getting peoples backs up . The time for them to saying " just trust us " is long gone . Again the press release was all just worn cliches . If this is a new dawn then they have to start being more transparent with industry participants .

22 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

South Island gallops seem to have got off reasonably lightly  , I make that 5 race days on normal year,  Waikouaiti not flash racing to be fair , dominated mostly by  a few stables and not a serious betting proposition . 

Southern harness they seem really hit , though Wingatui won't be too missed on harness circuit maybe .How many trots raced there .

Don’t see how these comments square with 9 South Island harness tracks being shelved, including Forbury Park and Phar Lap Raceway.... do they think these horses are only trained around Christchurch ?  

A key principle of the proposed changes are more meetings closer to where the horse and greyhound population is trained.

“Ensuring meetings are located as close as possible, as often as possible, to where the horse and dog population is located will result in improved net returns to the industry,” McKenzie said.

10 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Don’t see how these comments square with 9 South Island harness tracks being shelved, including Forbury Park and Phar Lap Raceway.... do they think these horses are only trained around Christchurch ?  

A key principle of the proposed changes are more meetings closer to where the horse and greyhound population is trained.

“Ensuring meetings are located as close as possible, as often as possible, to where the horse and dog population is located will result in improved net returns to the industry,” McKenzie said.

Yes as I have said a few times not massive into Harness but enjoy a night at The Met. There does always seem big fields down that way South Timaru  and looks competitive stuff , they've been absolutely carved up from my very untrained eye .

I am assuming one of the criteria for getting axed would have to have been poor turnovers , surely you wouldn't axe racedays that give a really good return on investment . I see  businesses such Bunnings and Mitre 10 closing stores because there not performing , understandable . Perhaps if they gave some clarity for decisions there would be more understanding .

48 minutes ago, nomates said:

I am assuming one of the criteria for getting axed would have to have been poor turnovers , surely you wouldn't axe racedays that give a really good return on investment . I see  businesses such Bunnings and Mitre 10 closing stores because there not performing , understandable . Perhaps if they gave some clarity for decisions there would be more understanding .

I agree nomates. Surely there must be some algorithm they have used to make their decisions including such things as turnover, disposal value of property, cost to run meetings, upkeep cost and use for trials and training. I can think of no reason that such algorithm would not be publicised to industry participants.

13 minutes ago, talk said:

I agree nomates. Surely there must be some algorithm they have used to make their decisions including such things as turnover, disposal value of property, cost to run meetings, upkeep cost and use for trials and training. I can think of no reason that such algorithm would not be publicised to industry participants.

I'd like to think one of those overpaid Suits has done some sort of feasibility study?? :unsure:
Or did they use the office dart board again? :rolleyes:

It's noted, it's a DRAFT plan, there's still cut off dates for submissions.

Here is a prime Golden Egg opportunity for Racing across all communities of NZ to work together with STEPHEN ENGLAND-HALL & TOURISM NZ , to encourage the betterment of all the people of NZ to travel to DOMESTIC REGIONS & attend RACE MEETINGS & open new blood to various careers within the industry whilst we can and whilst the borders are closed to AIR & CRUISE SHIP travel.

There's a huge market out there awaiting to be tapped into & not just the 65 plus age bracket, there's young ones who have saved up to travel overseas for their gap years/ who have decided to explore NZ whilst they are unable to travel overseas.

We should be working together to encourage them to attend the races, people generally always warm to animals in times of instability in ones life.

It's inexcusable that RITA etc have omitted to factor into account such a GOLDEN EGG opportunity within our quarter acre section back yard, well ok there's people who have NO back yard who will be wanting to get out of their 4 walls & get out to do something different.

The world has not ended.

The city is still pumping contrary to what the DOOMSTAYERS preach to us.

How about those who are concerned share this out and about on Facebook pages like Love Racing & Tourism NZ as well as all smaller country area racecourse clubs & communities?

We must all be mindful that racing isn't just about a cluster here & there it's about all members of the community well being including that of Social participation in society which results in economic betterment & development.

Rural and isolated areas have just as much right to entertainment & participation within the Racing community as others.

The Herald have been doing a promotion about traveling around NZ.

If people know there's a race meeting in those & other regions they can plan to attend & partake.

when was the last time horses as an example were trained at Ellerslie Racecourse?

It's time to unite & promote the industry across all of NZ to new blood.

It's times like this we should be looking outside the square to ensure ALL people of NZ have their rights to the social enjoyment of all codes of Racing and attract new people to careers in it.

There's lack of international MUSIC acts coming to NZ,  there's a lack of international sporting fixtures coming to NZ in the foreseeable future ( roll on the election), people have returned to work & the discretionary dollar is there to be spent that would normally have been spent on the aforementioned activities.

Make hay whilst the sun shines NZ RACING.

2 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Hi Huey

I think it is sad to see country clubs not allocated race dates, but unfortunately I think this had to happen.  I know there are small clubs that prove to be a financial success, however I don't think this allows for the cost to RITA/NZTR to put these races on.  It has to be more expensive to put a race meeting on at Gisborne as opposed to Te Rapa, so this is is where the cost savings come in.

I think these clubs have the right to continue as they see fit, hold picnic meetings etc.  Not to have their track confiscated.

Absolutely but Gisborne is a very isolated case and you can use that as an example but what about the West Coast circuit? 

They get 3 days racing out of Gisborne about what they do on the Coast, there is no balance no common sense to any of it, I've said it before they do things to look like they are doing something  , nothing more nothing less.

1 hour ago, nomates said:

That of course is absolutely not the case.

41 minutes ago, talk said:

I can't see one club on there (please let me know, don't know the trots) that has a cast of full time staff sucking the sav as bad as RITA that is getting cast aside, how on earth could that be after all the sophisticated analysis they would have done in coming to these conclusions?

Hi Barry:

You seem to be well informed about this. I received the documents and an email from NZTR about this. The email says:

A draft racing calendar has been released to racing clubs with consultation on the draft closing on 15 June. It is expected a final calendar will be released on 3 July, prior to the commencement of a new year of racing on August 1.

You can view the draft here.

I can't however find any information/template or whatever for submissions on the consultation process or even who to send such a submission to.

I  also can't seem to find any underlying paper/ data/ cost-benefit analysis which informs the decisions about which tracks are and are not retained for licensing nor what data informs the reduction in dates. Are you able able to point me to those or do I need to contact RITA?

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Barry Lichter said:

Sorry Leggy all I can offer is someone to ask. Try RITA Head of Public Affairs Ian Long.   ian.long@tab.co.nz

Double check the email address as it's a different one online when google searching Ian Long's name.

Shame we missed knowing about The Women in Racing surveys he undertook & closed in the midst of Level 4 lockdown.

How about extending it Ian Long if you are reading this.

You need to expand where & how you advise people of such surveys in the wider community...

Did anyone in here complete those surveys?

2 hours ago, meomy said:

It's noted, it's a DRAFT plan, there's still cut off dates for submissions.

Here is a prime Golden Egg opportunity for Racing across all communities of NZ to work together with STEPHEN ENGLAND-HALL & TOURISM NZ , to encourage the betterment of all the people of NZ to travel to DOMESTIC REGIONS & attend RACE MEETINGS & open new blood to various careers within the industry whilst we can and whilst the borders are closed to AIR & CRUISE SHIP travel.

There's a huge market out there awaiting to be tapped into & not just the 65 plus age bracket, there's young ones who have saved up to travel overseas for their gap years/ who have decided to explore NZ whilst they are unable to travel overseas.

We should be working together to encourage them to attend the races, people generally always warm to animals in times of instability in ones life.

It's inexcusable that RITA etc have omitted to factor into account such a GOLDEN EGG opportunity within our quarter acre section back yard, well ok there's people who have NO back yard who will be wanting to get out of their 4 walls & get out to do something different.

The world has not ended.

The city is still pumping contrary to what the DOOMSTAYERS preach to us.

How about those who are concerned share this out and about on Facebook pages like Love Racing & Tourism NZ as well as all smaller country area racecourse clubs & communities?

We must all be mindful that racing isn't just about a cluster here & there it's about all members of the community well being including that of Social participation in society which results in economic betterment & development.

Rural and isolated areas have just as much right to entertainment & participation within the Racing community as others.

The Herald have been doing a promotion about traveling around NZ.

If people know there's a race meeting in those & other regions they can plan to attend & partake.

when was the last time horses as an example were trained at Ellerslie Racecourse?

It's time to unite & promote the industry across all of NZ to new blood.

It's times like this we should be looking outside the square to ensure ALL people of NZ have their rights to the social enjoyment of all codes of Racing and attract new people to careers in it.

There's lack of international MUSIC acts coming to NZ,  there's a lack of international sporting fixtures coming to NZ in the foreseeable future ( roll on the election), people have returned to work & the discretionary dollar is there to be spent that would normally have been spent on the aforementioned activities.

Make hay whilst the sun shines NZ RACING.

You and your ideas sound way too pro active for this organisation , please tone it down and fall into line , they have this under control .