RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
dock leaf

Never waste a good crisis

30 minutes ago, Huey said:

Can you explain to me , how these smaller clubs are selfish and don't contribute to the industry?

This is the slow creep of  full blown communism in this country, will you be laughing when they come for your house ...and they will.

People are too appeased by the 72m, its only hush money , they'll be coming for racing before you know it - cause they hate it!

Seeing how a large part of my property was paid for thru the sale of racehorses , therefor i have benefited from what the racing body has done for me , do you think that in the best interest of racing i should give it up to nztr . Be selfish not to . That's TA's point isn't it .

6 minutes ago, nomates said:

Seeing how a large part of my property was paid for thru the sale of racehorses , therefor i have benefited from what the racing body has done for me , do you think that in the best interest of racing i should give it up to nztr . Be selfish not to . That's TA's point isn't it .

Goodonya if you have profited from racing activities , the property you own is yours .

Clubs and their assets don't have a single owner , clubs have members who use the clubs assets , no one owns a club , very different to your privately owned property .

Handing over a clubs asset comes at no cost to any individual  so hand it over .

2 hours ago, Houlahan's Dream said:

I imagine Avondale will dig their heels in, arguing that the land belongs to the AJC and cannot be sold. But if they have no race dates could it exist as a training venue and home of the best fruit and veg market in West Auckland? 

How many horses train at Avondale.? The nearest mid sized trainer is Stick got his own track. its also hard to get horses across the city.

Avondale should join Auckland or Counties. The latter could have a decent size AWT inside the grass. Maybe also Ellerslie

41 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Goodonya if you have profited from racing activities , the property you own is yours .

Clubs and their assets don't have a single owner , clubs have members who use the clubs assets , no one owns a club , very different to your privately owned property .

Handing over a clubs asset comes at no cost to any individual  so hand it over .

I take it that you are a member of the Auckland Racing Club!

No?

:rcf-crying:

1 hour ago, Baz (NZ) said:

Agree 100% with you Huey....but it won't change the direction of RITA'S re-structure plans. Sadly this is now happening to every badly run corporate company in the country.

Dis-established roles...sacking of (wrong?) staff....closing down sites or retail stores etc etc.... In most these cases again run by bad management in Suits!

But RITA don't own the clubs, they own the stores pay their employees , they get very cheap product from the clubs.

3 hours ago, winx21 said:

really does look like the final nail in the coffin for the racing industry.

How does john allen get away with barely a mention in the press?

he is mainly responsible for this mess

Agree leaves a trail of destruction and straight into another well paid job.In another era he’d be lynched .

I spent a term on a club committee.

Maybe I was unlucky but I was gobsmacked by the entrenched self interest and insular thinking. My lasting impression was that for many committee members voluntary time given leads to pseudo ownership.

Also, the memory of a gasp-and-sigh-athon meeting with the AJC now leaves me with no sadness around their self inflicted demise. 

In reading all of the comments in this topic there is only one conclusion a reasonable person could make based on the disunity expressed in the various comments and opinions.

Racing is stuffed as very few are able to take a step back and look at the big picture.

Very simply racing is successful in Aus for one main reason. The vast majority of betting turnover is wagered on Metropolitan racing in Sydney and Melbourne. Each city is roughly the size of NZ and has 2 or 3 racecourses. ( assuming  current plans to close Moonee Valley proceed).

It works because it’s economically efficient and punters have a better understanding of track conditions and how a horse is likely to perform before they bet.

As an industry if you want to ignore this reality and keep 48 racecourses throughout the country, then you may as well bend down and kiss your arse goodbye because racing here will be dead within 5-10 years.

30 minutes ago, fitzy said:

Very simply racing is successful in Aus for one main reason. The vast majority of betting turnover is wagered on Metropolitan racing in Sydney and Melbourne. Each city is roughly the size of NZ and has 2 or 3 racecourses. ( assuming  current plans to close Moonee Valley proceed).

Don't underestimate the role Pokies play in Australian racing. 

43 minutes ago, fitzy said:

In reading all of the comments in this topic there is only one conclusion a reasonable person could make based on the disunity expressed in the various comments and opinions.

Racing is stuffed as very few are able to take a step back and look at the big picture.

It works because it’s economically efficient and punters have a better understanding of track conditions and how a horse is likely to perform before they bet.

As an industry if you want to ignore this reality and keep 48 racecourses throughout the country, then you may as well bend down and kiss your arse goodbye because racing here will be dead within 5-10 years.

You mention those Metropolitan courses like their success occurs in isolation. It doesn't, they are ably assisted by smaller training centres and racecourses. They have a system for bringing horses through from the Picnic,country to the Metro tracks and back again if needed and it works very well one doesn't happen without the other.

Are you trying to say that you can close down all the tracks outside of the Metro tracks in Aus. and think you'll get the same outcomes they currently are? Try that statement on with some of the trainers at those Provincial venues and even Metro tracks and see how you get on.

NZracing isn't stuffed because we have 48 tracks or whatever number, most cost the industry nothing to operate (probably most of the tracks they'll try and sell) and provide product, this nonsense is being rammed down your throat as an excuse for poor leadership and shocking performance in NZracing for years. No different to Covid being used as an excuse for why RITA/TAB is stuffed.

11 hours ago, wobbly said:

I spent a term on a club committee.

Maybe I was unlucky but I was gobsmacked by the entrenched self interest and insular thinking. My lasting impression was that for many committee members voluntary time given leads to pseudo ownership.

Also, the memory of a gasp-and-sigh-athon meeting with the AJC now leaves me with no sadness around their self inflicted demise. 

That is echoed throughout racing , not just on racing club committees. Go and have a chat with a few trainers it will take you 5 mins to realise that.

Have a look at RITA and their job cuts and tell me that isn't all about self preservation/interest.

49 minutes ago, Huey said:

That is echoed throughout racing , not just on racing club committees. Go and have a chat with a few trainers it will take you 5 mins to realise that.

Have a look at RITA and their job cuts and tell me that isn't all about self preservation/interest.

I trained for many years so was likely guilty of that as well...it's just human nature to focus on whats best for your livelihood. But when someone elects to join a committee it's surely for either a) social reasons or b) to give of their free time for the good of the club and racing in general. Rather than the wagon-circling antics of late, it's these people who should have had the bigger picture in mind. 

Trainers Association should have rallied and boycotted racing at Avondale post the Messara Report...and demanded AJC get their sorry butts sat around the industry table. Now the best winter track in the Auckland region (and one of the more reliable, consistent punting venues in NZ) will be lost to the claws of the Greens-riddled Council.

27 minutes ago, wobbly said:

Yes, though when it's their livelihood...that's just human nature. But when someone elects to join a committee it's surely for either a) social reasons or b) to give of their free time for the good of the club and racing in general. Rather than the wagon-circling antics of late, it's these people who should have had the bigger picture in mind. 

Trainers Association should have rallied and boycotted racing at Avondale post the Messara Report...and demanded AJC get their sorry butts sat around the industry table. Now the best winter track in the Auckland region (and one of the more reliable, consistent punting venues in NZ) will be lost to the claws of the Greens-riddled Council.

So all the volunteers who gave up their time/resources etc, built up these clubs probably as well as their families did also for generations in some cases, should then hand it all over to the suits cause they are paid to do a job - all in the name of the "big picture" ? 

Wow are you expecting a good outcome after all of this?

18 minutes ago, Huey said:

So all the volunteers who gave up their time/resources etc, built up these clubs probably as well as their families did also for generations in some cases, should then hand it all over to the suits cause they are paid to do a job - all in the name of the "big picture" ? 

Wow are you expecting a good outcome after all of this?

I'm not talking about the country tracks here, they're mostly run by the trainers for the trainers, and a different ball-game altogether. 

Explain to me why the AJC couldn't have brokered a deal to rescue their track, club and history?. Likely 60% of their land holding never gets used for racing. They could have done a  consolidation and facility re-build deal with the industry, a 100 year maintenance deal with the council (contra for full in-field), got their poor beleaguered local trainers relocated or compensated, 2-3 Premier meetings at Ellerslie and fortnightly Wednesdays on their own track. How hard is that FFS!?