RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Newspaper fields and weekly RaceForm to get chop

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 12:44 PM, Bestbetbazza said:

Yes the social distancing rule is a sham. 

. As I previously commented the TAB wouldn't let clubs/pubs operate TABs. Stupid thing I walked into our local TAB on Saturday and everyone's gathering around Form Sheets as per normal.

No social distancing.

The directives have come from the Scientific advisors to the Government who stupidly failed to establish facts & throw out fiction. - Read the letter from 50 Scientists to NZ Politicians to not "SCAREMONGER"  that is online in the March issue of NZ Medical journal - note who those are, what type of "scientist" they are and where they work and who is calling the shots - unelected & unaccountable people some of whom are narcissists & shallow.

Did any of those in attendance at the TAB have any known virus/ infectious disease like the one constantly in the media or influenza?

If not, carry on life as we all knew it.

Have a great day with your mates and include those who may be on their own as you may make their day better. No one should be excluded from society.

Racing Post UK resumes publication 1st June to coincide with the return of Horse Racing in the UK, and Queen's Birthday weekend.

Come on RITA/ TAB and others get your act into gear.

It's inexcusable Racing in New Zealand has ever been put through such disruption as a business and Sport that is for the betterment of society.

7 minutes ago, ivanthegreat said:

I was hoping there would be a change of heart over the liftouts in the herald  I cant believe how bloody stupid this is.

I have been a herald subscriber for 20 years $80 for 6 weeks ONLY FOR THE FORM I have cancelled my sub today.

It is junk anyway Ivan, a regurgitation of what is online two days prior.

You have to laugh at them wanting you to pay for “ Premium journalism”....presumably the usual stuff is rubbish.....:rolleyes:

On 5/27/2020 at 7:15 PM, Ohokaman said:

It is junk anyway Ivan, a regurgitation of what is online two days prior.

You have to laugh at them wanting you to pay for “ Premium journalism”....presumably the usual stuff is rubbish.....:rolleyes:

in some ways stuff and co are actually stupid, all the news content is online and they wonder why newspaper sales are non existant,we all get our stuff online, sometimes though playing on a smartphone does ones head in, the ODT has or had a great sports liftout on a friday, dont know what form if any it will be in now,there is no reason why if it has racing that it cant do friday sat and sunday previews,and just not worry about the greys from wodonga and mandurah, just focus on what people are keen on.

Fridays ODT had the fields for the Invercargill Harness at Ascot Park.(similar to what it was like before liftout started).,

But no selections{at this stage) Hoping to do Otago/Southland area.

Said it recognised importance of racing to its many readers,and will try to provide fields and commentary on racing in South, 

and selected other meetings.

6 hours ago, jayar said:

Fridays ODT had the fields for the Invercargill Harness at Ascot Park.(similar to what it was like before liftout started).,

Said it recognised importance of racing to its many readers,and will try to provide fields and commentary on racing in South, 

Best newspaper of them all.

10 hours ago, jayar said:

Ironic really when the the main southern venue Forbury Park is apparently surplus to requirements....:rolleyes:

Ohokaman, I'm afraid that Forbury Park has not been the main southern venue for several years. Certainly back in the 1960's, 70's and even 80's it was a premier venue holding many major races. I'm afraid that since then it has developed into a low stakes backwater, where only the desparate went to race their horses. The stakes were so low that you could even run 3rd in a race and still lose money on a trip from Canterbury. Invercargill is the main southern venue and has been for at least the last 2 decades

29 minutes ago, Stables said:

Ohokaman, I'm afraid that Forbury Park has not been the main southern venue for several years. Certainly back in the 1960's, 70's and even 80's it was a premier venue holding many major races. I'm afraid that since then it has developed into a low stakes backwater, where only the desparate went to race their horses. The stakes were so low that you could even run 3rd in a race and still lose money on a trip from Canterbury. Invercargill is the main southern venue and has been for at least the last 2 decades

Aware of that Stables. Visited a few times when I was down in Dunedin and spoke to the senior people who were there at the time about improving things re marketing, promotions, sponsorship, improving facilities and services etc...all the things we had done successfully at Auckland. Nothing eventuated....just no enthusiasm for change it seemed to me, despite the talk. Real shame, great location and history from years ago as you say.

4 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Aware of that Stables. Visited a few times when I was down in Dunedin and spoke to the senior people who were there at the time about improving things re marketing, promotions, sponsorship, improving facilities and services etc...all the things we had done successfully at Auckland. Nothing eventuated....just no enthusiasm for change it seemed to me, despite the talk. Real shame, great location and history from years ago as you say.

Forbury can still be a part of harness racing,better dates recently they always raced a day before or a day after canterbury and southland,maybe and I say maybe a free weekend  once a month and forbury getting the first bite of the cherry ,it is a good central  venue between canterbury and southland,I think the wall to wall racing week in week out that they have at invercargill and addington will get rather tiring,weather the punting public stay interested in the same old same old remains to be seen,personally Auckland racing is so uninteresting however the interdoms were a great event,forbury need a fairer go,it ain't been treated too flash even by harness nz in reality,they set the dates too remember.

29 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Forbury can still be a part of harness racing,better dates recently they always raced a day before or a day after canterbury and southland,maybe and I say maybe a free weekend  once a month and forbury getting the first bite of the cherry ,it is a good central  venue between canterbury and southland,I think the wall to wall racing week in week out that they have at invercargill and addington will get rather tiring,weather the punting public stay interested in the same old same old remains to be seen,personally Auckland racing is so uninteresting however the interdoms were a great event,forbury need a fairer go,it ain't been treated too flash even by harness nz in reality,they set the dates too remember.

Have you been to Forbury in recent times ? . I had a bit of a go at facilities at Riccarton a few days back but honestly Riccarton is real  luxury compared to Forbury . Not sure what other posters  think of the place but I went when in town for rugby with a a group mates  a few years back , we lasted three races . Without doubt the worst racing facility I've ever been to in my whole life bar none .To go from Forbury , next night to that excellent stadium was like time travel.

Just now, Stables said:

I agree, the only thing positive that I would say about the place is that the food at the on course restuarant was superb

I couldn't get the lads to stay long enough for the food , headed to the Octagon . 

I actually went to ascot park gallops once a long time ago noone was there it was drizzling and blowing a bit .it was mind numbing experience,in reality most race meetings are going this way from a spectator's angle,if noones there ,I bet addington will head this way too,cup day maybe not but most meetings wont attract much on course interest and if it becomes boring may not get much off course interest either,racing is now mostly an event for tv but just like rugby the same old same old  gets tiring,forbury with its central locality as in between canterbury and southland offers a different racing event as for facilities well that's a different thing completely

10 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Have you been to Forbury in recent times ? . I had a bit of a go at facilities at Riccarton a few days back but honestly Riccarton is real  luxury compared to Forbury . Not sure what over attendees think of the place but I went when in town for rugby with a a group mates  a few years back , we lasted three races . Without doubt the worse racing facility I've ever been to in my whole life bar none .

Maybe forbury is a little like carisbrook for a while it was a hole,then all of a sudden the rugby team started playing well then the public turned up then they built a new stand then the corporate boxes were built, it was all created by on field performance led to other things moving,with regards to forbury it once had cup class horses recently though poor fields and one wonders why it's on a downward spiral

7 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Maybe forbury is a little like carisbrook for a while it was a hole,then all of a sudden the rugby team started playing well then the public turned up then they built a new stand then the corporate boxes were built, it was all created by on field performance led to other things moving,with regards to forbury it once had cup class horses recently though poor fields and one wonders why it's on a downward spiral

Walking into Carisbrook was a miserable old walk , the ground was old and tired but  of course if brought up with it the memories make it . Just like old football grounds in UK . I went to 2005 Lions v Otago at Carisbrook,  the atmosphere inside was great , everything about the old stadium that night was great  fun . So I suppose like your post about Ascot Park, if no one's there it highlights the poor facilities , it's there a crowd and some atmosphere it's going to be good . That's why the little tracks are a good day out , the crowd , that's why point to point in UK and Ire is crammed  with crowd with no permanent facilities in a field .

It will get to the point soon where a lot of meetings will be for tv only so are the amenities worth spending money on?but just watching addington auckland and invercargill will get tiresome  and that's what we are going to get.

1 minute ago, mikenz said:

It will get to the point soon where a lot of meetings will be for tv only so are the amenities be worth spending money on?

It would  be a very  sad day for racing if closed off to on course punters .Obviously the closure at moment is temporary but behind close doors permanently would be disappointing to say the least .