RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

On the bright side

One of the positives out of this whole lockdown and the demise of NZ racing has been the great racing we have been seeing in Aussie. Amazing betting fields in Queensland, Sydney, Melbourne and even SA this weekend. Sunshine Coast Friday pretty smart as well. Thank god Aussie racing kept going. Saturdays would have been pretty strange otherwise. I am enjoying Saturdays immensely. I even sneak a look at the provincials like Newcastle.  Surely we can learn something from the way they do everything. They seem to allow every horse to find its right class and distance etc, something we just can't get right.

Aussie is best in the world but one needs to consider several things   better weather which creates better racing and more people attending(remember some of the best race days in New Zealand through our best summer days are good meetings too ),how they get the higher stakes I would like to know,some of the midweek meets have stakes that would be a big carnival type meeting here,and who funds them are all the betting sites contributing even some of the race callers are the best around,the whole racing package is first class

9 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

One of the positives out of this whole lockdown and the demise of NZ racing has been the great racing we have been seeing in Aussie. Amazing betting fields in Queensland, Sydney, Melbourne and even SA this weekend. Sunshine Coast Friday pretty smart as well. Thank god Aussie racing kept going. Saturdays would have been pretty strange otherwise. I am enjoying Saturdays immensely. I even sneak a look at the provincials like Newcastle.  Surely we can learn something from the way they do everything. They seem to allow every horse to find its right class and distance etc, something we just can't get right.

Sadly we only ever seem to get their cast offs sent here...and they just milk the system..yes Australian racing is in a different league to here but it is also starting face head winds too....ours is facing a windy Wellington Gale.

2 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Aussie is best in the world but one needs to consider several things   better weather which creates better racing and more people attending

Haven't been too many attending race meetings lately.

Aussie racing is a different beast altogether, and it's not just down to good weather.

It's largely because it's in the society's DNA and is constantly in the public eye (with great media coverage, including free to air, and frequent sports news segments on the nightly tv news), and backed of course by some good administration figures. 

The other thing too, Aussies generally don't tend to put up with bullsh!t for too long. If something, or someone, is doing a rubbish job, change will soon eventuate. 

And lastly, competition helps. Multiple bookies, betting corporations, media outlets and even states (NSW v Victoria) trying to outdo eachother, it all adds to the success that is the Aussie racing scene, admittedly tough times are on the horizon. 

They are fortunate that their stake levels grew so big so quickly that they have scope to ease off a bit if necessary. No such leeway in NZ. And it isn't as if their horses can go elsewhere to race. There is even an easing off of service fees which were getting a bit crazy. It could be a bit of a settling period their industry needed. We might even get a more interesting Melbourne Cup.

I hope things improve here for NZ racing participants but honestly I personally hope the domestic racing doesn't cut into the high quality Australian coveridge , this Melbourne on a Saturday with those top notch presenters is superb now it's on,  it would  be hard to go back imho  , it's simply superior in every way , high quality impartial race analysis . Wanganui or Flemington , not really a contest sadly .

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

The crux of it is imho , lower graders can be kept in training there so go up and down ratings and classes so lots of form to go on , horses hit 65ers here , battle a bit . Get no weight relief quick enough and at 3k a month,  running for first prize  6250 most time it's cheaper to sack horse and try the next lease horse or cheap one .OZ they keep going round  .

HK working on the class 3 4 5 horses is interesting,  they've been around tons times and so much form to work on , on consistent tracks , with a very logical ratings system .

Hopefully this starter fee keeps the lower graders going longer .They waste so many healthy horses here it's a real shame, maybe the new dawn will stop that .