RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Axe set to fall on ​​​​​​​over-the-counter bets at our racetracks

4 hours ago, blackcaviar56 said:

Just read that Tab in australia are bringing in terminals only on tracks as well didn't see that coming ...did someone in rita get the early mail ..

Where did you see that BC56?

Oh cancel that. I should have scrolled down!

13 hours ago, Robert Best said:

I would be interested in being a part of bookie consortium. Any one else?

Hi Robert I would love to be involved but I think my 2 convictions  for bookmaking  on my CV might be a red flag when you apply for a licence .Cheers BH

3 hours ago, CosmicBlackie said:

So, they’ll be someone at each terminal screen wiping down after every punter? Right. Or is everyone wearing gloves and a mask?

You don't need screen or terminals just a wireless bet acceptor. You identify yourself with phone swipe, voucher read or some barcode system then push down your bets marked on simple easy to read card then walk away. The bet shows up on your mobile phone immediately, you examine it and press send if OK. You could do it directly on phone but at the moment its a pain particularly it you've had a couple.

31 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

You don't need screen or terminals just a wireless bet acceptor. You identify yourself with phone swipe, voucher read or some barcode system then push down your bets marked on simple easy to read card then walk away. The bet shows up on your mobile phone immediately, you examine it and press send if OK. You could do it directly on phone but at the moment its a pain particularly it you've had a couple.

And if you do not have a fancy phone your'e out?

20 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

Omg, are they for real.

They have lost the plot completely

This will make an ideal climate for bookies in pubs just like the old days

40 years ago every pub had its resident bookmaker usually in the public bar (not many public bars around now) In those days if you got shut out because the bets had to be sold by the TAB 30mins before the race you could sneak into any public bar and find the bookie..It was a great system and produced many characters and stories of bookies being taken to the cleaners or being sprung bythe cops. They all had their lookouts but every body knew who they were and it was usually  cash or if the bookie had access to a phone they used to take a phone bet etc etc ..  I imagine the RIU unit they would be fully employed????

I agree with Turny Tom OMG..  AND.. they would have to get the website fixed first cos on my mobile phone I have been shut out more than once when trying to place a bet 

27 minutes ago, arjay said:

And if you do not have a fancy phone your'e out?

20 dollar phone should do it. However if you you don't have one or lost it self service back up an option. Face it operators, keyboard terminals are gone, gone like yesterday i.e. history. Just move on. The system I described has some hidden hurdles nothing major but from the user point of view the most simplest.

3 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

20 dollar phone should do it. However if you you don't have one or lost it self service back up an option. Face it operators, keyboard terminals are gone, gone like yesterday i.e. history. Just move on. The system I described has some hidden hurdles nothing major but from the user point of view the most simplest.

Don't think that is correct, however if so that's fine, my current flip phone will not cut the mustard and it's 3 years old. I admit I'm old school and only want a phone to text and call.:rcf-happy-7:

4 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

One important point that seems to have been missed is the opportunity to correct mistakes either from the punter or the bet slip reader or operator will disappear.60seconds and you are stuck with it, even if the mistake is from the tab or their machines or staff like phonebet operators at least we had a chance to redo things or review the recording or manually change the bet that the machine refuses.Now the fault is 100% shifted on to the punter when we all know a 50/50 split is closer to the mark.

I can see tha day when on bigger race days a lot of zombies wondering aimlessly while having their heads down looking at cell phone.its happening everywhere now so racing needs to follow lol,,.....I say it's also a drive to try and get more account holders.

Just one question how does a terminal work  how do you place the bet and paying for it etc etc,  I bet through my smartphone but gee it becomes so addictive after time sometimes it's nice to leave it in ya pocket

5 minutes ago, arjay said:

Don't think that is correct, however if so that's fine, my current flip phone will not cut the mustard and it's 3 years old. I admit I'm old school and only want a phone to text and call.:rcf-happy-7:

Well right the flip phone not ok and smart phones probably reached a level not getting any cheaper. The real point is that there are much simpler solutions to problems than the hugely overpaid TAB morons sorry i meant management will lead people to believe.

4 minutes ago, Nukkledragga said:

One important point that seems to have been missed is the opportunity to correct mistakes either from the punter or the bet slip reader or operator will disappear.60seconds and you are stuck with it, even if the mistake is from the tab or their machines or staff like phonebet operators at least we had a chance to redo things or review the recording or manually change the bet that the machine refuses.Now the fault is 100% shifted on to the punter when we all know a 50/50 split is closer to the mark.

The system I described is heavy on the correction of mistakes. There is no bet until the send is pressed.

And for Mikenz the system I described cuts down the need to battle with the TAB app or web site. Just verify and send. Thats the whole purpose of marking bets in a much simpler format than currently and just scanning them. I daresay smart phones will soon have easier scan options on a more expansive network so that even a bet reader at the track not required,

1 minute ago, Mikie said:

There won't be much betting going on at Banks Peninsula will there?

No cellphone coverage unless you stand on the little mound between the tie-ups and the Birdcage

Mikie

Surely they can provide wifi?

Well I will never go any race meeting again after patronizing all three codes for years , I may as well sit at home and get my grandson to click through the bets when he is available.

That is probably where we are going actually level two racing where we all sit at home and bet while no one attends a racecourse.

I have attended racemeetings since I was 10 years old on a regular basis, there is something about the whole atmosphere that appealed to me, just not the betting. That is not the case anymore and fini for me and I'll wager many many more. 

Another possibility is voice recognition on smart phone so making a bet just like talking to the old phone operator. This is where racing clubs around the world should come together and develop something directly for themselves. Failing that another outfit like Uber will come in and racing clubs will be locked in and beholden to the sharks as the $17 million fee occurs at present to Paddy Power.

When I go to the track I mostly bet as usual, using my phone. 

Sometimes go to the operator for the novelty. 

I can see why they might be phasing it out. Like many the tote machines in Aus are VASTLY simpler than our ones. If they upgraded those machines that would be a start. 

How far are we now away from dispensing entirely with any semblance of physical racing options in pursuit of a virtual race reality on which to wager?  No courses, no horses, no trainers, and no jockeys or attendants etc etc.

Cannot do better with costs savings than to eliminate all the costs.

There surely must be some method in the madness they have pursued in appointing/promoting a succession of people to the level of their incompetence.

Sooner or later, we will all be operating in a cashless society. Certainly, my own kids rarely have any cash on them - it’s all tap and go for them. Eventually, if you go to the track, you’ll go up to a machine and either key in your selection or do a “voice” selection. An AI voice will repeat your request, you’ll acknowledge or correct then confirm and from there, you will tap and go, receipt in hand or recorded on your transactions. If you win, you repeat in reverse and your account is immediately credited. It will happen. The current cash in society is catering for the older generation and the sooner it’s ended, the sooner the drugs and shit in our society will end. Stop the cash and the crime diminishes. No money laundering, no black economy Etc. Get used to it.

Exactly Trump. We are 20% through the 21st century. We talk about getting the next generation of punters involved  but these are the ones who operate entirely on technology and the cashless society. AS you say " get used to it".