RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Pyst

TAB Rugs Challenge

Only just discovered that this was a betting option, the other day - a comment made on FormPro Ratings site had me wondering what they were talking about.  After some searching I finally found it on the TAB site. Even got lucky with my first bet yesterday - the fire may have been my friend.  Anyway I was wondering if the pair challenges were available for every meeting or just some - they don't seem to be an option today like they were yesterday. Wouldn't it be great to have a runner up option - sometimes the winner is too obvious with a pitiful dividend.

For those who don't know, clicking "Futures & Challenges" at the top of the tab.co.nz/racing page take you to markets for future races, and for other unorthodox bet types ("Challenges": which Jockey/Driver/Rug will score the most points based on a 3/2/1 points for 1st/2nd/3rd system, as well as other bets like doubles that pay out more than a multi would (eg. two $1.50 shots to win offered at odds of $2.60 instead of the fair price of 1.5x1.5=$2.25) and markets on how many races a certain jockey/trainer will win at a meeting.

The rugs challenge is available on every meeting and is a favourite of the guys at FormPro because it's an easy way to have an interest in a whole meeting, the market can offer some initial value that individual markets don't, and the market will change throughout the day (after each race) based on earlier results. There can be a situation where you think a certain rug will do well in the first few races, while another rug will do poorly early but has some good chances later on. In this case you can back the rug you think will do well early before the first, then wait a few races for the other one to drift before backing it and getting good value on both rugs.

The "generous doubles" aren't available on every meeting, but are worth looking out for. The bookies try to find two shorties who they think have question marks over them, but that little extra bit of juice the bookies add to the odds can make it worthwhile for punters.

There are so many options now, it's doing my head in but I love it. Making me go blind as well - it's so hard on the eyes trying to read them - not loving that!

Don't bother with the jockeys' and drivers' challenges is my advice. They get way too many deadheats, triple deadheats and quadruple deadheats because the 3-2-1 points system heavily favours the TAB.  So your $1.80 divvy at the start of the day suddenly becomes way less than money back in some of these instances.