THEME UPGRADE IN PROGRESS PLEASE BE PATIENT...THANKS EVERYONE
Barry Lichter

Barry Lichter's News Stories

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Stables said:

Trump, there has been millions and millions pumped into Australian racing by their Governments

What? Not net. Have another look. What they've put back into racing is a small portion of the licence fees and income tax they pay on wagering which the NZ government and taxpayer gifts to NZ racing in its entirety.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gubellini said:

David Bennett was the Minister of Racing prior to Winston taking over in 2017.

Also chair of the select committee.

Real Waikato man with genuine interest in industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Trump said:

Correct. But the Australian Racing Industry has used the money on Infrastructure, upgraded tracks, new tracks, new facilities, equine welfare, increased Country and City Stakes etc etc. it has also received a lot of the money from where it is generated, ie, betting. What has NZ Racing done with the money they have received? What has the Industry done to “REDUCE” the huge costs it has allowed to escalate to where they are today? 

https://www.racing.com/news/2020-05-13/rsn-44m-package-assures-rv-stakes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trump said:

You just don’t get it. The Racing Minister has SFA to do with the running of racing. You can’t keep blaming the govt or the Racing Minister. Yes, they may have a part to play but it’s the Racing Industry itself that has to take responsibility.

...Where do you think winny got his $$$ from ???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 6:23 AM, Pam Robson said:

Can you enlighten me as to the reason for the change and dissolution of the two bodies with the 2003 Act?    I possibly had a vague idea at the time,  but its vanished.....thanks!

Seems bizarre with such a good Report.

I was on the NZGRA Executive when the Racing Bill was formed and discussed so was not really privy to the what, the why and the whatever. I had to relinquish that position when I was appointed to the TAB and at that point it was assumed that the Bill would become the Act within weeks or at most a couple of months. 

Things can take their time in Parliament and Racing is rarely a high priority. (It never ceases to amaze me that the politicians are so unaware of the amount of money that racing puts into the Government's coffers, for very little input, as well as boosting the pay packets of some thousands of employees. And their tax take).

I do remember that the RIB did not seem as tight a group as the TAB certainly was. More than twice the number of people and some personality clashes. Maybe a code disagreement or two as well. But none of that would have suggested to me that Racing was necessarily going to be "improved" by the abolition of the RIB and the TAB Boards.  The old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

There was a period when merging and amalgamation became the new norm - remember the Local Councils? - and I suspect Racing came into this category. 

The resulting RB (Racing Board) bore no resemblance in personnel to what had gone before and that was Mistake Number 1. Add some awful appointments and then some wagering decisiona including taking Trackside off Free-to-Air and the downward slide was underway. Somehow it became a scree slope.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jape said:

I was on the NZGRA Executive when the Racing Bill was formed and discussed so was not really privy to the what, the why and the whatever. I had to relinquish that position when I was appointed to the TAB and at that point it was assumed that the Bill would become the Act within weeks or at most a couple of months. 

Things can take their time in Parliament and Racing is rarely a high priority. (It never ceases to amaze me that the politicians are so unaware of the amount of money that racing puts into the Government's coffers, for very little input, as well as boosting the pay packets of some thousands of employees. And their tax take).

I do remember that the RIB did not seem as tight a group as the TAB certainly was. More than twice the number of people and some personality clashes. Maybe a code disagreement or two as well. But none of that would have suggested to me that Racing was necessarily going to be "improved" by the abolition of the RIB and the TAB Boards.  The old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

There was a period when merging and amalgamation became the new norm - remember the Local Councils? - and I suspect Racing came into this category. 

The resulting RB (Racing Board) bore no resemblance in personnel to what had gone before and that was Mistake Number 1. Add some awful appointments and then some wagering decisiona including taking Trackside off Free-to-Air and the downward slide was underway. Somehow it became a scree slope.

 

That was when racing was going down the road of getting outsiders in to run everything, on the assumption they were more intelligent than racing people. And they had to have their quota of women as well, culminating in the shotputter of course. None of those theories proved successful of course, as the industry ultimately found out to its great cost.

Somewhere along the line the concept that racing was club based and the racing conferences and racing board, under its many names, were elected to run the industry for the benefit of all participants was abandoned and we have ended up with unelected officials with no skin in the game telling the actual racing people what to do. 

These unelected "managers" can just clear their desk and leave for greener pastures when everything turns to custard, but actual racing people don't have that luxury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jape said:

I was on the NZGRA Executive when the Racing Bill was formed and discussed so was not really privy to the what, the why and the whatever. I had to relinquish that position when I was appointed to the TAB and at that point it was assumed that the Bill would become the Act within weeks or at most a couple of months. 

Things can take their time in Parliament and Racing is rarely a high priority. (It never ceases to amaze me that the politicians are so unaware of the amount of money that racing puts into the Government's coffers, for very little input, as well as boosting the pay packets of some thousands of employees. And their tax take).

I do remember that the RIB did not seem as tight a group as the TAB certainly was. More than twice the number of people and some personality clashes. Maybe a code disagreement or two as well. But none of that would have suggested to me that Racing was necessarily going to be "improved" by the abolition of the RIB and the TAB Boards.  The old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

There was a period when merging and amalgamation became the new norm - remember the Local Councils? - and I suspect Racing came into this category. 

The resulting RB (Racing Board) bore no resemblance in personnel to what had gone before and that was Mistake Number 1. Add some awful appointments and then some wagering decisiona including taking Trackside off Free-to-Air and the downward slide was underway. Somehow it became a scree slope.

 

Appreciate the reply,  thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

As a quid pro quo for Ardern to pacify Maori by funding Ihumatao maybe....??

Sarcasm or Racism....me thinks the later...Typical rhetoric of are National party Die hard!!:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Phantom said:

Great job Barry you nailed it with one glaring exception, the person who arguably contributed more to the clusterfuck than any other individual: GLENDA FUCKING HUGHES - she brought Allen... who brought the new website.... she must so proud.

Well done as you have nailed where the blame should rightly fall.

 

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Well done as you have nailed where the blame should rightly fall.

 

Greg

 

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

That was when racing was going down the road of getting outsiders in to run everything, on the assumption they were more intelligent than racing people. And they had to have their quota of women as well, culminating in the shotputter of course. None of those theories proved successful of course, as the industry ultimately found out to its great cost.

Somewhere along the line the concept that racing was club based and the racing conferences and racing board, under its many names, were elected to run the industry for the benefit of all participants was abandoned and we have ended up with unelected officials with no skin in the game telling the actual racing people what to do. 

These unelected "managers" can just clear their desk and leave for greener pastures when everything turns to custard, but actual racing people don't have that luxury.

2003, Isn't that when Helen Clark was Prime Minister isn't it?

 

Same s**t different year and the left wingers are still f*£*omg the economy.

 

Roll on the election.

 

There must be some of you out here in Racecafe who could put yourselves out there and stand for Parliament to flip the rubbish on it's head & where it belongs, on the fire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 11:08 AM, Ohokaman said:

As a quid pro quo for Ardern to pacify Maori by funding Ihumatao maybe....??

I`m in The Eastern Bay Of Plenty ... Nowhere near Ihumatao ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 6:24 PM, drewandjo said:

where National will get smashed

No way, Labour are out the door, as sounds like Simon Bridges.

Wasn't there a Luxton who was in Nats a few years back who was pro racing? Just wondering if it was if Chris Luxton is related...

We used to have more MP's who were proactive within Racing in the 1980's, it would be great to see a lot more involved who are passionate about our industry.There must be a few here in Racecafe, or their associates in the industry, who would be good to be in politics to sort the rubbish out that's currently in the Primary school yard

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, meomy said:

No way, Labour are out the door, as sounds like Simon Bridges.

Wasn't there a Luxton who was in Nats a few years back who was pro racing? Just wondering if it was if Chris Luxton is related...

We used to have more MP's who were proactive within Racing in the 1980's, it would be great to see a lot more involved who are passionate about our industry.There must be a few here in Racecafe, or their associates in the industry, who would be good to be in politics to sort the rubbish out that's currently in the Primary school yard

 

 

 

Bridges most likely, however National would currently be at 100 to 1 to win the election. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.