RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Worth a read

That makes you 16 years younger than me.  I think back to August 1969 and I think; …..my youngest brother and I had just invested in a Hasty Cloud weanling hoping to sell it in April 1970 at the yearling sales.  It went on to win (Lucky Cloud)  the Stradbroke Handicap, but we did okay with it.

In July 1969 I was given a Messmate mare in foal to Test Case for my 21st birthday..  I never got a key for my 21st birthday; I got an in foal broodmare.  That foal went through Trentham in January 1971.  Okay.  Interestingly, she foaled in November 1969 and having seen the unbelievable achievements of Battle Waggon's first crop prior to her foaling in mid November of that year, she was mated with Battle Waggon and that colt went through Trentham in 1972.  We all need some luck, and I got it there.

In 1969 I thought Bob Dylan's music was an oxymoron; it had no tune.  But I have come to appreciate his raw tones in the past 50 years.  In those days I thought of the Woodstock people as long haired no good hippies.  Age has taught me and I have widened my viewpoint of human behaviour in the past half century.  August 1969 was when I was a reserve for the Auckland rugby league team at University Tournament in Dunedin.  I said that I would play on the right wing as there so many left wingers in the team.

In August 1969 I was studying at Auckland Technical Institute part time as I held down a awful paying job with an antecedent firm of Ernst & Young.  I do not recall any influenza epidemic. What I do remember was an arrogant Northern Irishman at the Grey Lynn boarding house I was in, arguing with a dinkum tyke from Cork about the merits or otherwise of Bernadette Devlin.  Fifty years ago that Grey Lynn place was the pits of Auckland.  Now it is an overpriced gentrified area of that city.

I hope I have not bored you with anecdotes from half a century ago.

Edited by Tauhei Notts
punctuation