RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Russian Camelot...stunning win in SA Derby

Brilliant performance by Russian Camelot to win the SA Derby yesterday.

A Northern Hemisphere bred 3 year old, so six months behind the Australian horses, he has always had a big wrap on him and has had a few issues along the way including an interrupted preparation for the big race, which caused a few comments about his readiness for such a test...

Boy, did he dispel those......three wide at the rear for the whole race, when John Allen let him go in the straight it was all over..

Congratulations to John Wheeler and connections, they are going to have some fun with this bloke.

Caulfield Cup or Melbourne Cup down the track perhaps.....?? :rcfe-like:

845 Derbys since 1855 I think the quote was in RP , first to do it . 144 days younger   compared to next youngest , and a lot younger than the rest  . How many NH 3 year olds competed in those 845 Derbys , iam guessing bugger all.

Not sure the floodgates will open from NH , but he might not be last if right horse came along .

More OZ money heading up north from an area of market NZ breeders have a big foothold , iam sure it's not a big worry yet but surely breeders of good stayers here might have half a thought it might cost them .

Is there something about that name "John Allen"?

I thought the ride on Russian Camelot was a disgrace.  He had him there wide at the tail of the field then went around the cape at the top of the straight giving the horse no show.  It reminded me of that infamous effort of Shane Dye on Veandercross many years ago at Caulfield.

That Russian Camelot could then win after such a dreadful ride is mind boggling.  That jockey could be given the job of running the Racing Board into the ground.

23 minutes ago, Tauhei Notts said:

Is there something about that name "John Allen"?

I thought the ride on Russian Camelot was a disgrace.  He had him there wide at the tail of the field then went around the cape at the top of the straight giving the horse no show.  It reminded me of that infamous effort of Shane Dye on Veandercross many years ago at Caulfield.

That Russian Camelot could then win after such a dreadful ride is mind boggling.  That jockey could be given the job of running the Racing Board into the ground.

Told to ride it like the best horse in the race and that’s what he did....they obviously knew what they had.

He did get suspended though for causing interference early on in the race.

I though RC ride was good , sat with cover wide along the back, horse been difficult in past so relaxed him , eased him around field then just squeezed him into top gear knowing what he had under him . Not yanking in and out through gaps stopping and starting on and off gas , Euro stayers don't do that , just using the superior top end as he squeezed throttle .

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

Russian Camelot was impressive but not sure about the depth of that field. He will find it harder to get around them in races like the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups.

Yet they said it was the strongest SA Derby for years....go figure. He was giving 172 days to Dalasan and 180 to Warning, a Derby Winner.

Making him equal favourite for the Melbourne Cup at this stage is an over reaction however.

F95B4684-BF1D-4029-903A-DDEE0D20AF6C.jpeg

he may not need to "get around" as many as he did on saturday ...

ask yourself this question..

if i was a bookie what price would i bet punters  Russian Camelot in either cup. ?

off the prep that horse had, the run it had in the race and the manner of its win  and the upside ,   what price would you bet ?

25/1, 33/1 50/1 , 100/1 ?

4% , 3% ,2%, or 1% chance of winning , or has it got a better chance  than that ?

remember Vow and Declare won a 3000 mr slugs race in june last year at eagle farm and the nice bookies bet 100/1 for the Cup. :D

29 minutes ago, pogo(aus) said:

he may not need to "get around" as many as he did on saturday ...

ask yourself this question..

if i was a bookie what price would i bet punters  Russian Camelot in either cup. ?

off the prep that horse had, the run it had in the race and the manner of its win  and the upside ,   what price would you bet ?

25/1, 33/1 50/1 , 100/1 ?

4% , 3% ,2%, or 1% chance of winning , or has it got a better chance  than that ?

remember Vow and Declare won a 3000 mr slugs race in june last year at eagle farm and the nice bookies bet 100/1 for the Cup. :D

Currently 13/1 equal fave with Surprise Baby and 10/1 for Caulfield Cup.

The female side of family has connections to Cup via  Reprocolour who is 

Granddam of Kayf Tara , Favorite in 1999 before injury the year his gallop companion ended up second . Top stayer and jump sire .

Great Grandam of Alessandro Volta who was part of Aiden O'Briens alleged team tactics in 2008 .

Also  Dam of Bella Colora who Piggott rode to 3rd in 3 way  photo having led all bar line in 1000 Guineas in 1985 behind triple crown winner Oh So Sharp .

Bella Colora had a half brother , odd horse called Cezanne trained by Sir Micheal Stoute  , unraced at 2 , average at 3 and 4 , Irish Champion Stakes winner  at 5 , ran in Breeders Cup dirt at Churchill Downs , then next year second in Dubai Duty Free when transfered to Godolphin . Retired to Stud . Infertile and turns up few years later trained by small stable in Novice Hurdles . I was on course when he won one at Huntingdon . Then after few years I believe he ended up in point to points.  A varied career .

Another from that side of family at stud producing jumpers and he's by Green Desert , suggest RC should have the goods for 2 miles .

Meon Valley Stud , they produce very very good horses .