RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

TAB to cut 30% of its staff

4 minutes ago, Disillusioned said:

von, you can do anything with statistics!

Remember the CoL trumpeting that they had increased police numbers by, what was it?, 1800?

When all they had done was 'cover' the numbers lost to resignations/retirements/jailings and that the actual increase was considerably less!

I don't think they will be covering up this one, they don't have a choice the place is broke savings will have to be be made.

The real issues are two fold in respect of staff losses. The first is that under a new look regime and protocol, what staff are not needed on voyage? Horrible thing to say as we're discussing people's lives but there are some resources that simply don't have a place going forward. 

The second is the cretins further up the food chain who feather their own political nests in order to hold onto their positions but their lack of skill completely justifies letting them go at this time. It is this group that I think is the most important as they generally are the highest paid and the most ineffective. 

Whoever signed the agreement in relation to the FOB platform probably needs to go. Whoever has been running Trackside needs to go. Whoever has been responsible for the creation of the presentation for the racing data probably needs to go. Who ever was responsible for employing these three people probably needs to go.

I would run a very simple exercise right now while RITA has the opportunity. I would ask all the senior staff to independently submit a plan in their own department as to how they would run their departments with 50% of the people and what would I be receiving for that. I would then ask them to submit plans for how everyone else would run their departments (including my own), if they felt something was run badly. Let everyone know that all submissions are confidential so that fingers could be pointed if required, without later recourse.

Get everyone to do it and you would quickly know which ones to keep.

12 minutes ago, Berri said:

Whoever signed the agreement in relation to the FOB platform probably needs to go.

Gone already thanks to current RITA board

13 minutes ago, Berri said:

I would ask all the senior staff to independently submit a plan in their own department as to how they would run their departments with 50% of the people

May well have already occurred in some shape or form

Greg

30 minutes ago, Berri said:

The real issues are two fold in respect of staff losses. The first is that under a new look regime and protocol, what staff are not needed on voyage? Horrible thing to say as we're discussing people's lives but there are some resources that simply don't have a place going forward. 

The second is the cretins further up the food chain who feather their own political nests in order to hold onto their positions but their lack of skill completely justifies letting them go at this time. It is this group that I think is the most important as they generally are the highest paid and the most ineffective. 

Whoever signed the agreement in relation to the FOB platform probably needs to go. Whoever has been running Trackside needs to go. Whoever has been responsible for the creation of the presentation for the racing data probably needs to go. Who ever was responsible for employing these three people probably needs to go.

I would run a very simple exercise right now while RITA has the opportunity. I would ask all the senior staff to independently submit a plan in their own department as to how they would run their departments with 50% of the people and what would I be receiving for that. I would then ask them to submit plans for how everyone else would run their departments (including my own), if they felt something was run badly. Let everyone know that all submissions are confidential so that fingers could be pointed if required, without later recourse.

A simple quiz on Wagering/Racing/Sports would out most of them. 

17 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Gone already thanks to current RITA board

May well have already occurred in some shape or form

Greg

As we all know who signed off but what about the board behind him that let it happen they would have to be as naive as he was just dumb

33 minutes ago, Berri said:

For purely selfish reasons, and I know it's nothing remotely major, but it irritates me enormously for some reason, I think the first person to go should be the one who changes the stakes of all Australian races into NZ Dollars on our form guides. They think NZ punters are too thick to realise Australians race for Australian dollars. And then they change any NZ races stakes for NZ horses in those Aussie races to a different random figure as well, despite all other dollar amounts being converted to NZ dollars.

I know it is a miniscule item in the overall scheme of things, but I do feel it shows how out of touch they are. Phew! My morning rant.

16 minutes ago, Crow said:

As we all know who signed off but what about the board behind him that let it happen they would have to be as naive as he was just dumb

Which is why i raised it earlier , Glenda and Co have a lot to answer for.She in conjunction with rest of previous NZRB board should hang their heads in shame. For your interest here is the full list.

Glenda Hughes (Independent Chair), Rod Croon (Harness Code nominee), Greg McCarthy (Thoroughbred Code nominee), Mauro Barsi (Greyhound Code nominee), Alistair Ryan (Independent Member), Graham Cooney (Independent Member) and Barry Brown (Independent Member).

Greg

2 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Which is why i raised it earlier , Glenda and Co have a lot to answer for.She in conjunction with rest of previous NZRB board should hang their heads in shame. For your interest here is the full list.

Glenda Hughes (Independent Chair), Rod Croon (Harness Code nominee), Greg McCarthy (Thoroughbred Code nominee), Mauro Barsi (Greyhound Code nominee), Alistair Ryan (Independent Member), Graham Cooney (Independent Member) and Barry Brown (Independent Member).

Greg

As has been said many times before, the 'independent " appointees haven't really been a great success in racing. It is hard to believe actual racing people could have done any worse. At least they would have had some passion for the game.

1 hour ago, Berri said:

My brother in law worked for fonterra in wellington and was asked to provide a business plan  which he refused to do because he knew that it was to be implemented by the auckland based inferior replacements, as they were all being made redundant.This shakeup will see all the good workers jump ship , they will not help if they do not have a secure job,It is a waste of time trying to test for the best, if you havent identified them already then what have you been doing?.Get out the axe and start chopping and give the leftovers a simple secure plan for the future.Time is of the essence.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

For purely selfish reasons, and I know it's nothing remotely major, but it irritates me enormously for some reason, I think the first person to go should be the one who changes the stakes of all Australian races into NZ Dollars on our form guides. They think NZ punters are too thick to realise Australians race for Australian dollars. And then they change any NZ races stakes for NZ horses in those Aussie races to a different random figure as well, despite all other dollar amounts being converted to NZ dollars.

I know it is a miniscule item in the overall scheme of things, but I do feel it shows how out of touch they are. Phew! My morning rant.

They definitely have a very low opinion of NZ punters , i think their vision is we are all shaking , desperate for the next fix betting addicts just waiting for the next non descript USA/Korean race . 

3 hours ago, von Smallhaussen said:

TAB to cut 30% of it's staff!

well we all know from past experience that the TAB is not that flash with it's arithmetic eg- bonus bets stuff up and their annual reporting figures (as us good guys say "smoke and mirrors")

so what they are probably going to do is cut their 700+ employees by 30 ;)

29 Trackside staff, 1 sacrificial lamb from Head Office :rcfe-laughing:

2 hours ago, Berri said:

Isn't that what they reportedly did, except 30% not 50%?

10 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Would the senior staff suggest trimming excessive wages for senior staff

I would assume so if they have not already happened but they've gone into silent mode on this until the end of the month, so we can not know.

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Greg

Everyone knows RITA was left with a mess.  Total mess.  That is why a Transitional Board (RITA) was brought in for a charge.  A board of successful personnel with racing knowledge was brought on to drive this change.  Everyone was excited about the future.

In my humble opinion, the only way to drive the industry forward is:

• Grow punting dollar (THIS CURRENT PLATFORM WILL NOT DO THAT)
  • Return to owners (FFS, WE DON"T EVEN KNOW WHAT WE ARE RACING FOR NEXT YEAR).

The two above items are not mutually exclusive.

Fix those two items and the rest will fix itself.

2 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Everyone knows RITA was left with a mess.  Total mess.  That is why a Transitional Board (RITA) was brought in for a charge.  A board of successful personnel with racing knowledge was brought on to drive this change.  Everyone was excited about the future.

In my humble opinion, the only way to drive the industry forward is:

• Grow punting dollar (THIS CURRENT PLATFORM WILL NOT DO THAT)
  • Return to owners (FFS, WE DON"T EVEN KNOW WHAT WE ARE RACING FOR NEXT YEAR).

The two above items are not mutually exclusive.

Fix those two items and the rest will fix itself.

Sums things up pretty well !

The only growth area in punting was SPORTS betting which was the main reason the new Platform was introduced.

Sports Betting has a lower yield /margin for the TAB which is significant.

Also the Sports people are crying out for more commissions and the Government highly likely to agree.

The TAB has always appeared to be under control of Government ,this likely to continue as Racing /TAB awaits a big handout to survive !

Though the TAB could survive very nicely without NZ Racing......Sports betting and Overseas Racing would be just fine !

In short term , punting unlikely to increase........the $200 mill pa Operating Exp need to be slashed !!!

I expect this will be significant ,in wages / salaries and outside broadcasting fees etc.

Stakes......

Seems logical too if savings warrant it , less meetings ,less courses.

IMO code funding should require clubs to contribute more ...tough as many run by mainly volunteers.

Return to Owners...its been lousy so some improvement would be preferable ,but still will be among worst in world...Kiwis resilient.

Staff numbers at Rita......these must include over 400 Tote and TAB workers......RITA doing everything possible it seems to get people betting digital/on line.

TABs main purpose is the small punter , and the fact that over 40 x TAB's house the profitable Pokies.

Sell the RIU and get them to charge the clubs individually.

More costs direct to Clubs but survival of the fittest !

Desperate times call for desperate measures..........

5 hours ago, Crow said:

A fundamental change is required. The whole governance, management structure is based on pre internet times. Most posters on here would have a far greater understanding of the industry than those recruited. Since TAB does not have direct competition in NZ therefore  opening up management and decision making to all interested parties in an open forum whilst radical is logical and feasible.

Tasman Man - if more costs to clubs as you suggest, where would they get these funds from unless we back on the old "less for owners" i.e. stakes        Most clubs, if not all, are broke to put it mildly.     To take more from the owners would only ensure - less owners!

1 hour ago, slam dunk said:

A fundamental change is required. The whole governance, management structure is based on pre internet times. Most posters on here would have a far greater understanding of the industry than those recruited. Since TAB does not have direct competition in NZ therefore  opening up management and decision making to all interested parties in an open forum whilst radical is logical and feasible.

Sounds a good idea but unfortunately those running the ship don't like to be told how to run things so for them it easier not invite ideas - hence why any forums they do conduct turn into halls of mirrors.     Whether they look into these mirrors or not we never find out but no results are ever forthcoming.       

3 minutes ago, eljay said:

Tasman Man - if more costs to clubs as you suggest, where would they get these funds from unless we back on the old "less for owners" i.e. stakes        Most clubs, if not all, are broke to put it mildly.     To take more from the owners would only ensure - less owners!

The problem with the more costs to club approach is , the clubs left wouldn't be the ones they want left , the ones that are presently surviving off the smell of an oily rag are doing so of their own accord and with little or no help from industry bodies.

1 hour ago, tasman man 11 said:

In short term , punting unlikely to increase........the $200 mill pa Operating Exp need to be slashed !!!

This is undoubtedly the one area where the most gains for the industry can be made , if your business is stalled look at your over heads . Unfortunately every body bar the dog has been chanting this for years but the ones in a position to make these changes have until covid came along continually turned a deaf ear to the industry . Will they do enough now , i doubt it . I think for the foreseeable future the operational side of racing needs to be run as a bare bones operation , if turnover can't be relied on to significantly increase , then costs have to be slashed . Personally i think they will do a sticking plaster job thinking that will placate the plebs for a while till they can jump on the train again . For me more respected racing people have to get involved in racing decisions .

1 hour ago, eljay said:

Eljay......you supply the answer.......If clubs are broke then should they be operating.....trading while insolvent.

The clubs I close to OR did a check on are not broke !

But this needs to be sorted .....already the Southland group of Harness clubs have come out and said no drop in stakes  ,meaning they will do all in their powers to keep going and reward the owners and trainers and community that supported them.

I checked 4 x balance sheets from there and all 4 have a little nest egg in bank..for a rainy day they proudly said.....WISE !. They grow hay and cattle for extra funds they get local sponsorship and at least one added its own money to RITA money for stakes last year.

Others are in quite good shape too....Auckland Racing has Investments and Cash of $40mill .......and very good equity.

Cambridge HRC looked OK , even Avondale.....how about a couple of dual code  meets on a Sunday !

What clubs are broke ???

The ONE exception I aware of and close to your heart ....ATC....now it could be broke !

Have you seen the plan for it to trade out of the mess it in  ?

Probably not as court cases pending !

But it needs to front up to its members with an honest assessment .

Maybe the Members can suggest or help with solutions ! It now has two NZRB x Board members at helm and the NZRB Finance man !!!!!!!!!Can they turn it around ?????

At the end of the day it could be broke !

Once things settle at the TAB , code funding....more prudent than last few years one would hope......can be decided for each club ,with a bonus element for performance and race minimums for stakes and minimum standards for facilities etc . 

Clubs can then apply for race dates and work on their meetings being a success.

If clubs are broke ,they should shut up shop !

Desperate times call for desperate measures......