RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

ATC makes the hard calls

It is comforting know ,as a member ,that Mr Bauro has stated he wants to preserve the club.

Having come across from the NZRB / RITA Board  where he was part of the team that signed off paying out more than the outfit actually made over the past couple of years !

I'm sure he and the other 2 x key senior folk from NZRB / RITA will have learned from the mistakes made...that one in particular.

Also Mr Bauro with his expertise in Recruitment and retention has hopefully learned from the sins of hiring too many ,paying too much and retaining dead wood !

I await the plan for preservation !

Personally I don't give a rat's arse about auckland in any field of life but gee it's not a good look for harness racing if alexandra park is stuffed,mind you some of the racing is so uninteresting starting with the repetitive commentator to the same old race after race,the south island has variety with a mix of country and town racing ,the northern area is just a borefest

1 hour ago, mikenz said:

Personally I don't give a rat's arse about auckland in any field of life but gee it's not a good look for harness racing if alexandra park is stuffed,mind you some of the racing is so uninteresting starting with the repetitive commentator to the same old race after race,the south island has variety with a mix of country and town racing ,the northern area is just a borefest

Different beasts......where does one find 'town' racing down south ?

North has 3 x tracks....all with lights and night racing.......that hold more than 3 meetings. 

South has 2 tracks with lights ....and must have about 15 tracks with more than 3 x meetings and that excludes 2 of the most iconic.......Kaikoura and Westport !

You must have nightmares about Carlos Spencer and that try !

13 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

It is comforting know ,as a member ,that Mr Bauro has stated he wants to preserve the club.

Having come across from the NZRB / RITA Board  where he was part of the team that signed off paying out more than the outfit actually made over the past couple of years !

I'm sure he and the other 2 x key senior folk from NZRB / RITA will have learned from the mistakes made...that one in particular.

Also Mr Bauro with his expertise in Recruitment and retention has hopefully learned from the sins of hiring too many ,paying too much and retaining dead wood !

I await the plan for preservation !

The name is Barsi.....another bloody disaster waiting to happen.

If Barry Lichter is correct and no reason to doubt him the 230 TAb and contractors to be made redundant represents only 30% of their workforce leavingsay 500 left (not including TABs usually 1 man bands,or woman) so no wonder the costs of such an army are very high impacting as it does on the bottom line available for clubs and by association trainers drivers and owners.The industry has become a major employer at the expense of the list above. At least there maybe some improvement  in current action. 

1 hour ago, john legend said:

If Barry Lichter is correct and no reason to doubt him the 230 TAb and contractors to be made redundant represents only 30% of their workforce leavingsay 500 left (not including TABs usually 1 man bands,or woman) so no wonder the costs of such an army are very high impacting as it does on the bottom line available for clubs and by association trainers drivers and owners.The industry has become a major employer at the expense of the list above. At least there maybe some improvement  in current action. 

The TAB 's I familiar with have several regular employees...... 4 + a manager.

So times 67 x these are significant numbers.

Then there are those that are regular Tote staff at the races ......Ellerslie must have 20 plus window open for an average meeting ,many more for Feature day !

All these will be included in TAB numbers.

And they travel out of their patch as well

eg Auckland staff flew down to Wellington to sell tickets on Wellington Cup day.

In January Christchurch staff bus to Nelson for Friday trots ,down to Kumara for iconic gallops then back to Nelson for big trots day where they have 20+ windows.Motels etc too !

When phone betting ceased I think 250+ staff made redundant.....its not chicken feed !

T man I believe the TAB operators are sep to the numbers as they buy into the operation so are leasees in effect whether they operate themselves or then employ others at peak times . Most also have sports betting and pokies to improve their turnover. These are finding survival very tough of course and places like my city there is only 1 TAB left  Others in Clubs and sports bars. def not TAB employees.The on course operators are only part timers/casuals so wouldn't be a huge cost (which is or was passed on to Clubs) I believe this is true but maybe I am wrong ….? Whatever the equation there must have been "fat"in the system if they can operate on 70% !

1 hour ago, john legend said:

T man I believe the TAB operators are sep to the numbers as they buy into the operation so are leasees in effect whether they operate themselves or then employ others at peak times . Most also have sports betting and pokies to improve their turnover. These are finding survival very tough of course and places like my city there is only 1 TAB left  Others in Clubs and sports bars. def not TAB employees.The on course operators are only part timers/casuals so wouldn't be a huge cost (which is or was passed on to Clubs) I believe this is true but maybe I am wrong ….? Whatever the equation there must have been "fat"in the system if they can operate on 70% !

You are correct, perhaps not perfect wording, but correct

Mikie

3 hours ago, john legend said:

TAB employee figures that are quoted always include casual and part-time employees working in their retail outlets.

Every year its mentioned in the Annual report.

Also there are different types of TAB contracts , eg ATC run and profit from their agency , there are still some sole operators who have more than one and the TAB employs the staff in others...they certainly control the coins that rattle out of the pokies !

Just thinking - Alexandra Park a real ghost town at the moment.

TAB locked

Pokies locked

Cafe locked

Track unused

Blues training field unused

New development up to now deserted

Lollipops closed

Chinese Restaurant closed

Function rooms empty

And whopping loans to service

10 hours ago, eljay said:

Just thinking - Alexandra Park a real ghost town at the moment.

TAB locked

Pokies locked

Cafe locked

Track unused

Blues training field unused

New development up to now deserted

Lollipops closed

Chinese Restaurant closed

Function rooms empty

And whopping loans to service

That is NOT correct 

1.Lollipops Early Childhood Centre has been open since Monday.

2.The Blues have been training as individuals every day at different times.

The rest of your post applies to all of New Zealand, so why point the finger at A.T.C like they made the rules?

Im afraid its just another negative post and in times like these we dont need negativity.

59 minutes ago, Cartman42 said:

That is NOT correct 

1.Lollipops Early Childhood Centre has been open since Monday.

2.The Blues have been training as individuals every day at different times.

The rest of your post applies to all of New Zealand, so why point the finger at A.T.C like they made the rules?

Im afraid its just another negative post and in times like these we dont need negativity.

True. The financial situation at the ATC is negative enough....:rolleyes:

Eljay has listed a number of valid negatives. Frankie has said  basically 'too little, too late.' Hard to see much in the way of positives from any angle. The big money drain has come over the past six or so years with the beleaguered building project. In that time we have also had a number of management changes. We have a new management team in at the moment. Nobody can change the past regardless of how fervent, honest or well meaning they are. My hope is that racing can begin again to whatever extent and that day to day costs can be covered. I don't care if the club can't make a profit, at least initially, but what they MUST do is stop the money hemorrage. If they can't contain the situation as it is then they will be doomed and the industry along with them.

Blue - I never set out to make a list of positives, or a list of negatives.   Just facts.    Hope you read thoroughly Barry Lichter's article (in T'bred forum)   These too are facts - not negatives or positives!  

I wasn't having a go LJ. Fact is there's not much positive no matter how hard you look. My point was that the wound firstly doesn't need to heal. Those in control just need to stop the bleeding. That will be a degree of success in itself.