RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Red Rum

Argonaut NZ Race 1 Sha Tin

Races at Sha Tin tomorrow named in honour of Queen Mother and her best horses .

Race 1 is name after The Argonaut , a kiwi bred by stallion called Captain Jason . This horse was a fan favorite at Sandown Park in London for many a season . Season after season he jumped around there . Hard tough strong old style NZ jumper  . Good memories from way back.

Race 2 named for Special Cargo , if you are at loose end and  love jump racing the 1984 Whitbread Gold Cup was the best jump race finish I've ever seen , it's on you tube . Was there with my Dad in the stand  as a youngster , a great day I will never tire of reliving .

12 minutes ago, swampfox said:

pretty sure the argonaut won his first couple starts here at 2.purchased by kim clotworthy for the queen off bill cole argonaut stud.captain jason good mudlark in his day left some handy gallopers,top jumpers

Ended up  running  in the hunter chases at the Grand Military meetings at Sandown in his older years   , I will dig out my old race books from back in the day at some point and put some up , loads Kiwi bred jumpers over there back in day .Seagram , Playschool through to Lord Gyllane and a real good front runner called No Retreat but plenty more did a good job too. Most came over unraced , David Barons brought a lot of them . 

26 minutes ago, swampfox said:

pretty sure the argonaut won his first couple starts here at 2.purchased by kim clotworthy for the queen off bill cole argonaut stud.captain jason good mudlark in his day left some handy gallopers,top jumpers

Do you know anything about an old stallion called Showoff . Would he have been at stud with Captain Jason or nearby  ? I've  checked stud book,  looks like Irish bred about the right time I thinking of was knocking about here .

11 minutes ago, Patiti said:

Stood at Rodmor Stud.

Showoff2

I will dig out my old race books in next few days ,  need my gym warm up routine first though because it's a heavy box up high with shit piled on top . The Argonaut is shown as by Captain Jason . But iam sure I recall he was in race books as by Captain Jason or Showoff . One of the Queens Mothers horses had this oddity , maybe Special Cargo had something like that but it's there in the dark corners of my mind and iam convinced it's The Argonaut . Days before DNA testing .

47 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Do you know anything about an old stallion called Showoff . Would he have been at stud with Captain Jason or nearby  ? I've  checked stud book,  looks like Irish bred about the right time I thinking of was knocking about here .

SKITE ...Waikato Gold Cup when the race actually attracted good fields.

Another by..Show Off     out of Snuggles......Braless.

Think Captain Jason stood at Argonaut Stud in Te Kauwhata.

9 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

SKITE ...Waikato Gold Cup when the race actually attracted good fields.

Another by..Show Off     out of Snuggles......Braless.

Think Captain Jason stood at Argonaut Stud in Te Kauwhata.

So would they have been close the studs the stallions were at . I may be going down a blind alley and it's another of her horses . It's bugging me now , test of my memory . I will end up not sleeping,  up unpacking dusty boxes at 3am now . 

Thanks for the info guys .

17 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

So would they have been close the studs the stallions were at . I may be going down a blind alley and it's another of her horses . It's bugging me now , test of my memory . I will end up not sleeping,  up unpacking dusty boxes at 3am now . 

Around 70km between Te Kauwhata and Cambridge.presuming Capt Jason was at Te Kauwhata.

Leader of The Band was also at Argonaut and Funny Fellow also stood at Rodmor.

1 hour ago, Red Rum said:

had a captain jason yearling back in the day.hence followed his progeny abit.turned out no good

1 hour ago, Red Rum said:

sturges rhode rummy.by captain jason or showoff 2.still a maiden before heading to uk to become the argonaut

Shopshire Lad , not the best out of NZ above , however owner trainer jockey combined in 1991 with Seagram (NZ) to win the owners own race in the last year Seagram sponsored the Grand National.  Can afford a few duds when that plan comes off .

Scrolling threw these old race books,  so many NZ s .

Some of the sires  Norfolk Air , Mayo Mellay ,Bally Royal.

Hope these names bring back some good memories .