RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

$15K all races in July

2 hours ago, Leggy said:

Righteo Ted. Have you got a spare hill that you can lend me and move here?

Well I was talking about HS's human runners, but if you are indeed taking up running Leggy you could make use of the sand dunes down Foxton way. Let me know how your fitness improves. :D 

17 hours ago, rdytdy said:

HS. If you gave your runners hillwork reps, fartlek sessions, interval training, GBU's combined with some easy long undulating runs then one time trial would have you pretty well ready to go first up.  You wouldn't be peaking for some of the early season races anyway.  ;)

But yes, I do get your point that it is best left to the trainers to prepare their horses for the races in the manner they feel is right for the horse.   

I like the way you think rdytdy and you're dead right, leave it to the trainers to prepare their horses. Like horses, runners have to be trained as individuals. I've had runners win first-up off those sorts of preps you refer to but the more mature runners in my 'stable' seem to need a couple of races under their belt nowadays before you'd be putting the money on with any confidence. Without any harrier races around, time trials (run solo thanks to Covid-19) have to suffice but they're never as beneficial as good hard racing to bring that top level of fitness on. Still waiting for the TAB to allow betting on harrier racing - hell given some of the options they're offering surely it can't be far away now. Then we'll make a killing cobber.

I  would hardly class myself as an expert compared to your wise self. I have submitted my plan for reconstruction of racing on this site before. It was, however considered too radical for most posters on race cafe

It would be a brave man, or woman, who thinks they have the answer to fixing Racing's problems. I think the first step would be to identify when/where we started to go wrong, remembering that we were travelling quite strongley in the early 90s.

9 minutes ago, eljay said:

p4p is moving/selling your stock overseas a way to fix racing in Kiwi?

I would suggest it is a very sensible business decision. Racing in NZ has survived on people's charity for many years. That can only last so long. So many race sponsorships in NZ have long been just a charitable donation by a kind hearted benefactor without any sound business basis.

The hospitality situation is dire...that’s certainly true.......but we know it and we have the intellect and the resources to react and turn this setback into an “opportunity”.

Sadly racing lacks the vision to do the same .

My pity goes out to the hard working licensees primarily, and secondly to the owners and the punters.....as always they’ll be left to carry the burden and pick up the pieces .

One thing won’t change though Stables......racing is broken....and I can’t see how it’ll fix itself 

Feel free to articulate your vision and plans for prosperity though, I’m always keen to listen to an expert :) 

Wouldn't implementing the messara report be a good start?

Any ideas how that might improve revenue.

You improve your returns by either cutting costs or making more money.

Why does it always have to be about increasing revenue? cutting costs is just as effective and reducing 60 million wage bill would be start along with the RIU.

Increasing revenue? more control of the TAB and we might start pushing the racing product instead of sports betting.

Outsourcing so we can give NZ racing more international exposure. Revenue will come from offshore betting markets or capturing nz punters that use overseas betting operators.

NZ is only 5 million people who are not huge punters, Its stupid do keep pushing the idea we can keep increasing our revenue from little ol NZ.

Other key of messara report is to stop political appointment's

we cannot have the john allens glenda hughes types etc making decisions.people with no racing or wagering experience

55 minutes ago, winx21 said:

You improve your returns by either cutting costs or making more money.

Why does it always have to be about increasing revenue? cutting costs is just as effective and reducing 60 million wage bill would be start along with the RIU.

Both increasing gross revenue and reducing costs would increase net revenue would they not?

10 hours ago, barryb said:

Why would it be low?

They will in general be 14 horse fields & be relatively even, creating nice betting opportunities I would have thought.

The new norm for a fair while is lower turnover yes, but all research shows the bigger the fields the better.

Not sure I agree that the fields will be relatively even Barry. The noms go in for the distance you favour, and the field is likely to have high rated horses lining up against low rated horses, so the punter will need to decide whether the handicap difference is sufficient. It may be that 63kg won’t stop the best  horse in the race dominating.

The limit on trialling is probably unnecessary where some stake money is paid to also rans, but if you read the blurb you can understand the concern that trials might be full of horses and races a bit thin, in July.

There’s plenty of negativity on here, but remember that this is a reset to get some racing happening in the last month of the racing year (July) and tweaks will happen quite quickly based on how well (or not) it works. In my book some credit should be given to NZTR for what they have announced.

We are obviously at rock bottom now but with the dramatic changes that are about to take place at the TAB/RITA I can see a major upturn from that joint in 12 months. 

Unfortunately, because of the major debt that they now have around their neck (courtesy of the idiots in charge this century) it will still be a long time before a large part of the uplift is passed on.

If the debt wasn’t there the restructuring about to place would have made a massive change for the better.

Of course this is still reliant on striking a good deal with an offshore partner to resolve everyday costs of the computer system/betting platform, or call it what you like.

Insider, they dont seem to be in a rush to restructure costs.

Email communications still being signed off as coming from 'skinny marketing'. Surely all bets are off with supplier contracts...and there's someone in-house who can manage customer email content?

Just read Robbie Patterson write up on love racing saying how it's about time we where racing for minimum stakes of $15000 . He said his owners beaming over it. The only ones beaming are maiden runners who get an increase while others cut in half. Think he missed the boat before it started sinking.

This crisis could have been a blessing in disguise,

Why trainers have rushed back for July racing has me beat.

It's not Summer racing, so why not leave the horses in the paddock , going to be major cut backs at Rita and TAB this week.

Ideal opportunity to have all codes sit down and restructure their Industries.

Imagine Baker, Forsman (cos he's got a sharp brain and NZ can't afford to lose him) Pitman ,Pike, James, etc sitting at the Table with Saundry and Jackson reprogramming the rest of the season and future calendars.

The added bonus of that is the top trainers would get to see 1st hand the morons that have continued Racing down this path , not path, it's a slippery slope, and we're nearly at the bottom of the ride

8 minutes ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

This crisis could have been a blessing in disguise,

Why trainers have rushed back for July racing has me beat.

It's not Summer racing, so why not leave the horses in the paddock , going to be major cut backs at Rita and TAB this week.

Ideal opportunity to have all codes sit down and restructure their Industries.

Imagine Baker, Forsman (cos he's got a sharp brain and NZ can't afford to lose him) Pitman ,Pike, James, etc sitting at the Table with Saundry and Jackson reprogramming the rest of the season and future calendars.

The added bonus of that is the top trainers would get to see 1st hand the morons that have continued Racing down this path , not path, it's a slippery slope, and we're nearly at the bottom of the ride

At the door of the meeting I'd suggest the following question

" do you think the taxpayer owes us a bailout " . If the answer is " yes" . I'd humbly suggest pass them the meal and travel reimbursement voucher , thank them for their time and send them home because you need forward thinkers , thinking of a self sustaining future , not handout  merchants .

16 minutes ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

Haven't those guys been running the industry for years or at least influential ?

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

Haven't those guys been running the industry for years or at least influential ?

They saw the light at end of tunnel, it was the 2km long coal train going fast then shit taxpayer owes us trope came out . 

1 hour ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

Sounds like a great idea - restructure the calendar - Hopefully this "Meeting" with the above guests actually happens.

Just now, Kingshill said:

Sounds like a great idea - restructure the calendar - Hopefully this "Meeting" with the above guests actually happens.

Someone mentioned a while ago putting race dates up for tender, great idea . 

Get people into game  that's the only way , cannot sustain with the ever decreasing pool of people , punters , owners etc . It's such a very small percentage of a very small population , it just don't add up.

Fortuna have seen it how it is , 10 per cent discounts on their remaining  horses now , the ticket clipper needs to be a new smaller one , cut the fat away at all points it's found . No different than cars now , won't be able to give them away . I'd say ten per cent discounts will be the norm .A few syndicates sitting on some horses , I suppose they can race them themselves , no money in that though .