RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

$15K all races in July

Wow if that is right about them laying down the rule about one jump out or trial before racing that really is the tail wagging the dog in terms of telling trainers how they can train their horses - a real dumbing of things down if you ask me (so no surprises there then given what went before). I've been coaching elite runners for 42 years and if Athletics NZ told me I could only my runners one time trial in 10 weeks before the cross-country or road racing season resumed I'd be telling them to take a running jump. If the Trainers' Association agreed to that then they need their heads read.

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

So, is there a limit on how many weeks they have been in work and how many gallops they have had?  Also, can we re-plate them more than once a month or not?

Leggy you are not know for humour, but that’s quite funny. 

I notice too that the northern and central regions lose one group race each in the first four months of the season whereas the south loses three, although I notice the Winter Cup had been downgraded to listed anyhow which I hadn't realised. I wonder what this will mean for listed and group races going forward. What happens to races under warnings that end up with a shocking field this year? 

6 minutes ago, High Sparrow said:

Wow if that is right about them laying down the rule about one jump out or trial before racing that really is the tail wagging the dog in terms of telling trainers how they can train their horses - a real dumbing of things down if you ask me (so no surprises there then given what went before). I've been coaching elite runners for 42 years and if Athletics NZ told me I could only my runners one time trial in 10 weeks before the cross-country or road racing season resumed I'd be telling them to take a running jump. If the Trainers' Association agreed to that then they need their heads read.

Absolutely no hope of happening, they have made themselves look  even more foolish by putting this in there. It just shows no one at NZTR have a clue about owning/racing/training horses.

21 minutes ago, Crimson Star said:

Wet track horses don’t necessarily need to be any fitter than summer horses,, they either handle wet tracks or they don’t. Given that the races will be run over “shorter than normal” distances, there shouldn’t be any problem for trainers to get horses ready for July racing. Even if they are only allowed one jumpout or trial. 

Are you serious?

The only caveat i would put forward to any conversation around limited trials , fitness etc , would be regarding the distances they were looking at running . They haven't given any insight into what they are thinking , again , but certainly if they were looking at 800/900/1000 mtr races to start with then i think it's more doable then extending out as horses got fitter and other came on board , but until they stump up more info we're all as blind as ever .

21 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

What happens to races under warnings that end up with a shocking field this year? 

It's usually given special consideration in the pattern committee report, such as:

"3.2.6 Miscellaneous Other criteria may be considered if deemed to be relevant, e.g. historical importance, regional factors, impact of adverse weather, opportunities for various aptitude categories, etc."

I would imagine 'global pandemic' falls well within those bounds.

56 minutes ago, High Sparrow said:

HS. If you gave your runners hillwork reps, fartlek sessions, interval training, GBU's combined with some easy long undulating runs then one time trial would have you pretty well ready to go first up.  You wouldn't be peaking for some of the early season races anyway.  ;)

But yes, I do get your point that it is best left to the trainers to prepare their horses for the races in the manner they feel is right for the horse.   

As usual the punter (remember them?...they fund your stakes) gets the middle digit from the dummkopfs calling the shots and the self-serving industry servants following them over the cliff.

6 minutes ago, wobbly said:

As usual the punter (remember them?...they fund your stakes) gets the middle digit from the dummkopfs calling the shots and the self-serving industry servants following them over the cliff.

in what way? 

11 minutes ago, Huey said:

in what way? 

Betting in winter is difficult enough....throw in limited trial form and varying fitness levels of horses, jockeys and tracks...what show have we got? 

Also, after 2 months of intensive heavy track racing on 'selected' tracks, I dread the thought of horses racing on these minefields as they dry out...horse-loving owners beware!

25 minutes ago, wobbly said:

What would the dummkopfs ( punters) get with no racing in NZ ?....you have been able to carry on in your own way with Aussie racing for the 

lockdown period but the main industry participants have had to shut up shop. I dont mind having a bet or two but choose to at my own discretion

- that is that i never bet at an AWT / Ruakaka/Waikouaiti/Greyhounds/Aussie harness etc...if you "punt"at places like this you are owed nothing !!!

JMO

p

5 minutes ago, napier said:

What would the dummkopfs ( punters) get with no racing in NZ ?....you have been able to carry on in your own way with Aussie racing for the 

lockdown period but the main industry participants have had to shut up shop. I dont mind having a bet or two but choose to at my own discretion

- that is that i never bet at an AWT / Ruakaka/Waikouaiti/Greyhounds/Aussie harness etc...if you "punt"at places like this you are owed nothing !!!

JMO

p

It will be interesting to see how the punting dollar comes back when racing here returns , I normally give NZ racing a miss around May time until Grand National Meeting . Iam a nickel and dime man anyway but iam all in with the OZ racing now i don't think I'd be only one , Iam betting via the NZ Tab mind so they still getting the coin out of me .

Glad the people sticking with their horses here have a bit certainty for July to kick off . Geldings been going well   last few gavelhouse sales so some confidence there which is good .

42 minutes ago, wobbly said:

Betting in winter is difficult enough....throw in limited trial form and varying fitness levels of horses, jockeys and tracks...what show have we got? 

Also, after 2 months of intensive heavy track racing on 'selected' tracks, I dread the thought of horses racing on these minefields as they dry out...horse-loving owners beware!

I see your point, but it is a fairly unique situation, perhaps an opportunity to find some value.

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

I see your point, but it is a fairly unique situation, perhaps an opportunity to find some value.

Do you think trainers may make a Covid exception and let me check the brands at their jump-outs?

11 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

1.  Cut the stakes back to $12,000 per race in July.  Stakes split to be 70% 20% 10%.

2.  Increase race entry fees by 50% for July, but if the horse starts any entry fee is waived.

3.  Pay all jockey riding fees but not, of course, stakes percentages.

4.  Pay an appearance fee of $250, possibly higher, to each starter.

The above will help stop the GST wastage and reward those "Human Eftpos Machines".  Human Eftpos Machine is a euphemism for a racehorse owner.  He gives out money at every time of asking.

Would you risk your life for a jockey's riding fee?

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

As for the $15 stakes, risible, the owner takes home $9000 after percentages are deducted, that’s 9 weeks training fees based on current Cambridge rates, and you get a ludicrous ratings penalty from our dysfunctional handicapping system ....

The winning owners take home at $15k is around $6725 after % and riding fee. Rider & Trainer % deducted from the $300 for 5th-14th is madness, whats the point in giving owners less than $100 in there hand for running 14th.

image.png.e65c148cd231a01f320e04aacedf4ff9.png

30 minutes ago, barryb said:

The winning owners take home at $15k is around $6725 after % and riding fee. Rider & Trainer % deducted from the $300 for 5th-14th is madness, whats the point in giving owners less than $100 in there hand for running 14th.

image.png.e65c148cd231a01f320e04aacedf4ff9.png

Isn't this type of distribution that many of you wanted ? , isn't that why we finished up with maidens going around for $10k and R85 running around for $11k , well you got what you wanted .

10 hours ago, wobbly said:

It's no longer the punter who pays the stakes ,   with borrowed money comrade cindy  just gave me an extra $65 a week for punting in the winter . 

I have two choices , have a weekly punt on the tax payer up until 1 Oct or buy four bags of coal a week .   Trainers on the pension (over 50%) have an extra option , they will be able to buy better quality food for their horses and inject more energy into them , I think that's what comrade cindy must have been thinking when she called it the winter energy payment .