RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

$15K all races in July

NZTR-banner-9900000000079e3c.jpg

30 April 2020

Dear Racing Participants,

NZTR can now provide clarity regarding funding for industry participants when racing resumes on 3 July.

With the assistance of working groups of trainers and clubs, NZTR has developed a return to racing plan which includes a flat stakes level of $15,000 for all races at 13 meetings during July.

In addition, the following initiatives will also be introduced with the focus on reducing costs and spreading returns for owners:

·         To ensure a wider distribution of stakes to more owners, payments will be made back to 14th

·         No nomination/acceptance fees for those horses which start

·         Meetings scheduled to be held closer to the horse population

Race programming during July only will allow for open nominations to ensure those horses wanting to race are able to gain a start.  More detail regarding the racing policy can be found here

We understand that this is a different approach. But NZTR recognised this as an opportunity to provide some innovation and flexibility around the payment of stakes to owners, trainers and jockeys during July. 

Confirmation of RITA’s transitional funding to the codes follows discussions with codes, and industry consultation on a draft racing calendar for a resumption of racing. The distribution from RITA reflects the reduced racing over the period and the phased return to racing for each code.

NZTR and the other codes are also working with RITA on funding and race dates for the 2020/21 season and further updates on these important issues will be provided as it comes to hand.

This has been a testing time for all our participants, and NZTR thanks you for your patience while we have worked through this process for the resumption of racing in July. It was pleasing to see our horses back at the training track under alert level 3 this week and we appreciate the work of those at the coalface who are implementing the protocols at training tracks and race clubs across the country.

We will continue to keep you informed through regular communication on our website and weekly updates from the CEO via our social channels.

Yours in racing,

Dr-Alan-Jackson-signature-990451045101453c.png

Dr Alan Jackson
Chairman

Bernard-signature-9903cf0000028a3c.png

Bernard Saundry
Chief Executive

Don't worry a hand out will be on the way , probably with plenty of strings attached to ensure the core of the Messara report is implemented . Hand over your tracks , that type of thing and why not , racing is finished without a bail out .

REPLY.
The letter from RITA was received this afternoon and the Trainers' Association Executive have not had a chance to meet and discuss. However, in light of the support received by so many of you, it was decided to send it out first. 
We do understand the imminent announcement from NZTR in regards the stakes for the meetings scheduled in July is likely to be later this afternoon. This should further assist you to discuss options with your owners and make decisions in the short term in regards bringing horses back into work to be ready for July racing.

" Longer term there is still no real certainty until we hear annoucnements from the Minister in regards Government support that may be forthcoming."

6 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Don't worry a hand out will be on the way , probably with plenty of strings attached to ensure the core of the Messara report is implemented . Hand over your tracks , that type of thing and why not , racing is finished without a bail out .

REPLY.
The letter from RITA was received this afternoon and the Trainers' Association Executive have not had a chance to meet and discuss. However, in light of the support received by so many of you, it was decided to send it out first. 
We do understand the imminent announcement from NZTR in regards the stakes for the meetings scheduled in July is likely to be later this afternoon. This should further assist you to discuss options with your owners and make decisions in the short term in regards bringing horses back into work to be ready for July racing.

" Longer term there is still no real certainty until we hear annoucnements from the Minister in regards Government support that may be forthcoming."

How many votes would be gathered from the status quo split to sports and racing from punters and pokies . How many if it's sold as more to struggling  sports and no pokie money for racing .  No brainer if they got any sense , 100 times more sports fans than racing .

Each horse that has previously raced or trialled will only be permitted one trial/jumpout prior to commencing or resuming racing. The only exceptions to this rule will be where the RIU requests a horse to trial before racing again, or the horse is a 2YO, or the horse is unraced and untrialled. A jumpout means for these purposes a heat at an event for which entries are received and fields are announced or published.

Surely the Trainers Association can not have agreed to this or am I reading it wrong. Horses being only allowed to have one trial or Jumpout before running around on Heavy 11 Tracks would have to be an animal welfare issue. NZTR jump up and down about animal welfare but this is definitely wrong. 

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

Each horse that has previously raced or trialled will only be permitted one trial/jumpout prior to commencing or resuming racing. The only exceptions to this rule will be where the RIU requests a horse to trial before racing again, or the horse is a 2YO, or the horse is unraced and untrialled. A jumpout means for these purposes a heat at an event for which entries are received and fields are announced or published.

Surely the Trainers Association can not have agreed to this or am I reading it wrong. Horses being only allowed to have one trial or Jumpout before running around on Heavy 11 Tracks would have to be an animal welfare issue. NZTR jump up and down about animal welfare but this is definitely wrong. 

So NZTR are now training racehorses, LMAO!

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

Every horse is different and trainers all train differently . If enough work is done in training then 1 jumpout /trial can be sufficient if the horse is experienced and had some racing , but i think most trainers will take a lot longer than the 8 weeks to get a horse conditioned for July tracks . Trying to get racing going in July was always going to be a tough ask when the majority of horses are coming off a 5 week break , some longer . Might have been better waiting till August . Some people will say we should have kept racing , maybe . There saved them having to say it . 

6 minutes ago, nomates said:

Every horse is different and trainers all train differently . If enough work is done in training then 1 jumpout /trial can be sufficient if the horse is experienced and had some racing , but i think most trainers will take a lot longer than the 8 weeks to get a horse conditioned for July tracks . Trying to get racing going in July was always going to be a tough ask when the majority of horses are coming off a 5 week break , some longer . Might have been better waiting till August . Some people will say we should have kept racing , maybe . There saved them having to say it . 

Exactly , but its up to the trainer to decide what the horse needs to go to the races that why the owners pay them, for NZTR to think trainers are just going to send horses to the races as fodder is laughable.

4 minutes ago, nomates said:

I thought waiting until July was too long - you seem to have ignored the many horses that were just back in the early stages of getting ready for a Winter season when the lockdown shut the training tracks - another 9 weeks wait for them? These horses had a spell over Summer and another spell starting in April was problematic so they have been kept in light work away from track work.

20 minutes ago, Huey said:

So NZTR are now training racehorses, LMAO!

A bit stupid trying to set parameters around people fitting a horse for racing . Their job is to admininster , trainers job to train horses . One track i trained at i was told by a new track manager i couldn't gallop my horse on a Wed for a sat race , i could only gallop Tues , Thurs , Saturdays cause thats what always happened . He couldn't see that he was telling me how to  train my horse .

1 minute ago, Peter R S said:

I thought waiting until July was too long - you seem to have ignored the many horses that were just back in the early stages of getting ready for a Winter season when the lockdown shut the training tracks - another 9 weeks wait for them? These horses had a spell over Summer and another spell starting in April was problematic so they have been kept in light work away from track work.

Think most horses would have been in a paddock with very small percentage kept ticking over due to very limited access to facilities to do so for most . According to Te Akau , Marsh , Pike , Baker , James , their horses all went to paddock . 

46 minutes ago, Tony said:

' Surely the Trainers Association can not have agreed to this or am I reading it wrong. Horses being only allowed to have one trial or Jumpout before running around on Heavy 11 Tracks would have to be an animal welfare issue. NZTR jump up and down about animal welfare but this is definitely wrong. '

Its not wrong , good trainers will handle this easily . Any horse that was fit before the lockdown will have no problem being ready with a 10 week prep .

And yes nomates this racing closedown was a monumental blunder as we are seeing every day when looking at Ausse and it's much worse , all of the new motor way construction around NZ closed as well WHY ? , workers spread out in their own vehicles , just madness and that goes for many other businesses .

Anyway 10 weeks to prepare a previously fit horse , no problem .

Kept in light work where?

Horses have been spelling for 5 weeks in a paddock. thats not light work.

I cant believe the trainers association have agreed to this, it should be up to the trainer if there horse is fit enough to race.

If that's the rule what happens if a trainer tells a jockey to give it a quite one?

jockey gets hauled in front of stipes asking why they weren't more aggressive....

3 minutes ago, winx21 said:

Kept in light work where?

Horses have been spelling for 5 weeks in a paddock. thats not light work.

I cant believe the trainers association have agreed to this, it should be up to the trainer if there horse is fit enough to race.

If that's the rule what happens if a trainer tells a jockey to give it a quite one?

jockey gets hauled in front of stipes asking why they weren't more aggressive....

It is up to the trainer , if the trainer thinks the horse needs more time then stay home for a little longer , no one is being forced to line up .

18 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Its not wrong , good trainers will handle this easily . Any horse that was fit before the lockdown will have no problem being ready with a 10 week prep .

What do you constitute as fit , fit for what , first gallop , jumpout , trial , race  . It takes a lot more work to get a horse fit for winter racing . Most horses that were racefit before lockdown weren't getting ready for July racing . Most winter horses weren't in race fit condition , wetter tracks were still 6/8 weeks away so no rush . The racefit horses that don't handle wet tracks won't be back in till May/June . 

In order to encourage participation, the maximum re-rating for the winner of a non-Group or Listed handicap race will be 6 points while the maximum re-rating for the second-placegetter will be 3 points and the maximum re-rating for the third, fourth and fifth placegetters will be two points. Previously there had been a maximum of 10 for a win and 5 for a placing.

What does everyone  think will a rating 45 will only increase to a 51 with a win? I understand that races will all be open for a start but will every horse be re rated once this all changes??

So much negativity.Maybe the wise trainers were the ones who kept some  horses at their stables so they could be walked,exercised,put on the water walker,swum in the pool,worked on their own tracks,put on the horse walker or whatever as opposed to the ones who hog all the headlines,down tools,moan and put their feet up.

1.  Cut the stakes back to $12,000 per race in July.  Stakes split to be 70% 20% 10%.

2.  Increase race entry fees by 50% for July, but if the horse starts any entry fee is waived.

3.  Pay all jockey riding fees but not, of course, stakes percentages.

4.  Pay an appearance fee of $250, possibly higher, to each starter.

The above will help stop the GST wastage and reward those "Human Eftpos Machines".  Human Eftpos Machine is a euphemism for a racehorse owner.  He gives out money at every time of asking.

Wet track horses don’t necessarily need to be any fitter than summer horses,, they either handle wet tracks or they don’t. Given that the races will be run over “shorter than normal” distances, there shouldn’t be any problem for trainers to get horses ready for July racing. Even if they are only allowed one jumpout or trial. 

To be honest I don't really view this with a lot of confidence. Not many of the things these people do imbue me with a lot of confidence and I have no reason to change that view now. A meeting at Invercargill in the middle of July, two meetings at Wingatui in August? Any other year those tracks are bogs at that time and no one would dream of racing there. Then the deep south has a month off until another Invercargill meeting at the end of Sept. Just seems weird to me. What happens if Wingatui is so deep it is unusable for one of the August meetings, but Oamaru up the road is dead? Do they move the meeting?

No replacement for the 1,000 Guineas I see. I wonder if they considered allocating a couple of existing northern 3yo group races to the South after taking both Guineas off them?

What happens if things have returned almost to normal by Nov and people are allowed to attend race meetings? Do they revise the calendar again?

Just at a time when strong and inspirational leadership is needed the Racing Industry is sadly stuck with the worst possible leadership. I imagine there will be a rush of horses to Australia in the Spring. Possibly just what these people want.