RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mikenz

Radio Trackside/sport and Trackside tv

Would it make sense for Trackside radio to expand into a sports /racing station and what is the best way to do tv , aussie at the moment have a basic but effective racing coverage as in it seems less tv coverage plus a lot of the voiceover coming from off course, for a lot of nz meetings there is no real need for on course presenters, the commentator covers that well enough.

I personally believe that racing should be free to air on tv, what if any benefits do they get being on sky.Back to radio would it not make sense for trackside radio to include more sport coverage,maybe by shifting the races to a website only once the main races are finished for the day,in reality the media in new zealand is very limited,there just aint a large pool of funds to go around.it will be interesting now with no radio sport will the commentators just be employed by game by game or what, lots of changes, there are times when trackside radio as in late night that the races dont have much audience so maybe some other programming might just work.The cost of producing radio must be lesser than tv, maybe tv needs to be trimmed and radio extended.others ideas would be interesting.

but maybe recent events has changed the landscape.....i often think that trackside when its on sky sometime like saturday, holiday afternoon could move to tv nz for instance, there are certainly ways to promote racing, i bet aussie has seen a surge in racing recently due to nothing else on at present.

when you think of it there is plenty of time in the morning and evening for some alternative programming, races from 12 till 8 or so sport other times, maybe moving  races outside that time to website , or rova and then having sport  of commentary, remembering the tab benefits from sports betting and does trackside really need to have all channels running all through the night 

Not a bad idea I recon. Racing and sport radio, just live cross to races during a rugby or cricket game. Saturday afternoon all racing with  sports updates of sports match. Sports and or racing talk in the mornings and then evenings if no live sport just cross to trackside TV audio.  

So I'm not on my own here,if you could get the all blacks and the black caps with the right commentators you would surpass zb advertising take during these matches this making it more viable,newstalk zb are only popular because in reality it's one of the few games in town ,a lot of radio is shite really,

Miles Davis used to work on trackside radio and zb at same time I think so there is room for some to negotiate ,with the website rova there is room to shift coverage around,radio still has a big part to play,I listen radio far more than watch tv,its mobile and you don't have to stop your life with it.

2 hours ago, mikenz said:

Would it make sense for Trackside radio to expand into a sports /racing station and what is the best way to do tv , aussie at the moment have a basic but effective racing coverage as in it seems less tv coverage plus a lot of the voiceover coming from off course, for a lot of nz meetings there is no real need for on course presenters, the commentator covers that well enough.

I personally believe that racing should be free to air on tv, what if any benefits do they get being on sky.Back to radio would it not make sense for trackside radio to include more sport coverage,maybe by shifting the races to a website only once the main races are finished for the day,in reality the media in new zealand is very limited,there just aint a large pool of funds to go around.it will be interesting now with no radio sport will the commentators just be employed by game by game or what, lots of changes, there are times when trackside radio as in late night that the races dont have much audience so maybe some other programming might just work.The cost of producing radio must be lesser than tv, maybe tv needs to be trimmed and radio extended.others ideas would be interesting.

Check out google play , several good apps for radio and tv racing from around the world for FREE.Racing.com has an excellent app that gives a mountain of video replays and various other content  including live tv centered on melb racing.    freeflixhq gives you just about EVERY TV CHANNEL IN THE WORLD including racing from aus and around the world for free ( just lots of ads to watch)NZ punters are so badly off in comparison(pay for sky and STILL get ads    wtf!!!) I have used these and other apps for a few years without any probs..Spend a little time on the interweb and find out for yourself.

2 hours ago, TurnyTom said:
37 minutes ago, Nukkledragga said:

Check out google play , several good apps for radio and tv racing from around the world for FREE.Racing.com has an excellent app that gives a mountain of video replays and various other content  including live tv centered on melb racing.    freeflixhq gives you just about EVERY TV CHANNEL IN THE WORLD including racing from aus and around the world for free ( just lots of ads to watch)NZ punters are so badly off in comparison(pay for sky and STILL get ads    wtf!!!) I have used these and other apps for a few years without any probs..Spend a little time on the interweb and find out for yourself.                                  MY REPLY.

Thats all and good but as for radio there is a easiness about putting on head phones and just living life normal as for tv etc well that's a different story.

I do have one app ,tune in,it has every radio just about it's good,as for racing well I ain't checked that out anywhere as yet,what I was stating in the thread was the simple fact of radio tv coverage radio not on smartphone sometimes these devices just too addictive sometimes just the old pocket tranny is good sometimes,,,    ,, whatever happens changes in sports coverage is coming,will be keen to see what cricket coverage we get next summer,the radio call was always a summer tradition hopefully it continues.

2 hours ago, mikenz said:

I do have one app ,tune in,it has every radio just about it's good,as for racing well I ain't checked that out anywhere as yet,what I was stating in the thread was the simple fact of radio tv coverage radio not on smartphone sometimes these devices just too addictive sometimes just the old pocket tranny is good sometimes,,,    ,, whatever happens changes in sports coverage is coming,will be keen to see what cricket coverage we get next summer,the radio call was always a summer tradition hopefully it continues.

I dont think it will continue as it is ,but as a podcast any sport has a much better chance to put themselves in front of the people with potentially, a much lower threshold for the provider. Something similar to the "in stadium podcasts" only for everyone with an internet connection.

I'm a Radio Trackside addict.and I love the balance of sport and racing  and their programming had a focus to promote betting

It certainly worked for me

With Radio Sport gone there is an absolute opportunity for Radio Trackside 

As we all know,,,media is about getting your revenue ( advertising) streams in place

I'm not sure how aggressive they were in chasing advertising but we all got sick of hearing the same old ads

Hopefully someone at Rita is seriously assessing the advertising clientele that Radio Sport had and doing presentations / packages  promoting Radio Trackside

(Anyone banged on KFC's door)

I wouldn't be holding my breath though -  Rita are very good at spending money but as for generating it....hopeless

Earley and Coppins would recall those tough Advertising Managers from the News Media / Sunday News days who grafted and extracted $$$

Don't see too many grafters at Rita - plenty of flash Harry's though

What i was trying to emphasise is the fact that it must cost the tab a lot to  screen and broadcast races, and in oz at the moment they seem to be showing races with less staff, so it could be a lot more profitable....and the same 4 radio,there are times when trackside radio is probably better spent with some more sport, nights and morning, in these days there is no reason why you have one radio channel and move other stuff on to the website, the media landscape just aint very big in nz, if you could get nrl , rugby , cricket etc onto trackside with a radio and a website extra station there must be a formula where it can work for everyone, i doubt radio sport will be back.One must remember the tab get the rake off from the betting.

46 minutes ago, mikenz said:

What i was trying to emphasise is the fact that it must cost the tab a lot to  screen and broadcast races, and in oz at the moment they seem to be showing races with less staff, so it could be a lot more profitable....and the same 4 radio,there are times when trackside radio is probably better spent with some more sport, nights and morning, in these days there is no reason why you have one radio channel and move other stuff on to the website, the media landscape just aint very big in nz, if you could get nrl , rugby , cricket etc onto trackside with a radio and a website extra station there must be a formula where it can work for everyone, i doubt radio sport will be back.One must remember the tab get the rake off from the betting.

Podcasts instead of broadcasts for radio and tv.Much cheaper to start with and would stand or fall on their own merits ,or  worst case, if not viable financially any funding would be heaps less than any broadcasting done by anyone.Could be done for less than Rodleys makeup budget.

23 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Podcasts ain't live, podcast ain't talkback,they have there place ,true  as it is.

Podcasts ARE live ,or can be viewed on demand ,the thing is that Aiden Rodley for instance could set up a camera( which could be a smartphone) and stream away just as he does now .If you take Joe Rogan as an example, he is able to switch between video and google searches to highlight any point at any time.Aiden Rodley, a smartphone and some graphics and video from the TAB is all you need for the very basics.

These times have shown that the racing broadcast services can function with SKY at a fraction of a price the TAB costs us.

The money is there its just how its spent. 

We simply need to be more realistic in our expectations in these COVID times and into the future.

The Australian racing presentations are second to none.

If this can be replicated here and NZ racing not discriminated against  (coverage why) what more do we need if the funds saved , save NZ racing.? ie millions.

Their pre race selections are brief, not waffly and extremely well researched. 

Dont overcomplicate our sport....KEEP IT SIMPLE.

maybe we should just contract the screening of races to the australian channel and play it through trackside,all you get at the moment are the races and then bang on to the next, its not that bad, maybe then perhaps  have saturday afternoon and feature days go to free to air with a new zealand flavour, there has to be a way forward, both in tv and radio.

I have enjoyed the way the Aussie guys and gals analysis their races and the selections are short and sweet .A lot less of telling you how to sound your $$$$$.