RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

This shouldn't happen

I was watching a work gallop at the Newmarket (UK) course. Calyx (Kingman) was one of those horses. He was louder than a hurricane going past us. Why do we allow genetic mutations such as laryngeal Hemiplegia  to be propagated by standing stallions that have so seriously gone in the wind?!>! It is hereditary. So Coolmore don't give a shit and still stand the stallion. They should be banned from doing so. It just screws the breed.

18 minutes ago, Berri said:

I was watching a work gallop at the Newmarket (UK) course. Calyx (Kingman) was one of those horses. He was louder than a hurricane going past us. Why do we allow genetic mutations such as laryngeal Hemiplegia  to be propagated by standing stallions that have so seriously gone in the wind?!>! It is hereditary. So Coolmore don't give a shit and still stand the stallion. They should be banned from doing so. It just screws the breed.

Couldn't agree more. I don't think Germany would allow it so why should this part of the world?

On 4/25/2020 at 12:16 PM, Berri said:

Laryngeal Hemiplegia - Was this why he was retired? Are there any studies done in regards to it being hereditary?.... Not doubting your knowledge Berri.... Just curious 🤔

On 6/28/2020 at 10:56 PM, Kingshill said:

Laryngeal Hemiplegia - Was this why he was retired? Are there any studies done in regards to it being hereditary?.... Not doubting your knowledge Berri.... Just curious 🤔

Its heritable.  Plenty of research work done

Berri or others ...do you know.of any research for bleeding in mares being passed on, is it hereditary as I have a mare who won well at her first start but bled after and was retired. 
any thoughts.

Dopey I am pretty sure the reply from the experts will be yes. I had a beautiful filly who won easily first up then bleed. All my research indicated the trait would get passed on.

Horses like Storm Cat and his son Giants Causeway have kept some lucky vets in the manner they are accustomed to through wind ops. Bleeding is a slightly different issue as there are many instance where the environment might have something to do with the condition. I remember and article in the 80's where one of the leading vet clinics in Kentucky scoped a serious number of horses to see what bleeding occurred. Percentage was huge (65% comes to mind) of which a percentage of that outwardly bled. I can't remember seeing heritability being mentioned.

13 hours ago, Berri said:

Horses like Storm Cat and his son Giants Causeway have kept some lucky vets in the manner they are accustomed to through wind ops. Bleeding is a slightly different issue as there are many instance where the environment might have something to do with the condition. I remember and article in the 80's where one of the leading vet clinics in Kentucky scoped a serious number of horses to see what bleeding occurred. Percentage was huge (65% comes to mind) of which a percentage of that outwardly bled. I can't remember seeing heritability being mentioned.

I remember when working in the stables that we taught two older horses to swim ( not taught at a young age), both open class gallopers,  and they both bled after - stopped swimming and neither bled again. 

I once bred a good race mare who had her racing career stopped due to bleeding.

2 of her 7 foals had bleeding episodes.

Then later from one of her daughters (ie: the next generation and also a good race mare that didn’t bleed), 1 of her 3 to race has had a problem with bleeding. 

So did you see the stewards report from the Caulfield Guineas? It was reported Kings Legacy had a "throat abnormality" then 4 days later.... what do you know stewards correct the report to say "there was no abnormality". 

How can the breeding industry exert this sort of undue influence like this?

Unreal.