RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

A MESSAGE FROM NATIONAL PRESIDENT, TONY PIKE

2 hours ago, Red Rum said:

I  really want to watch the press conference when /if Grant Robertson announces possibly the mentioned 80 mill to gambling , some of those weak journos might fire into life , if that doesn't fire them into asking 1 just 1 searching question I doubt anything will. 

Like did donations from industry insiders have anything to do with your decision making Sir ? 

Start there and move onwards .

Too true RR. Robertson needs to channel the history of his very position. He is only there through the gullibility of the  number of the racing voting populace who thought Peters was going to be the answer to all our problems.After nearly 3 years of this government how are we travelling Scratched at the barriers!!

I don't agree. I don't think a good job has been done. I can only react to the first job, which was the execution of the proposed Racing Bill. Prior to this happening, the backbone of the industry was reviewed and assessed by John Messara. He created a blue print to follow. The Minister for Racing promised us that he would follow Messara's recommendations and his agents, RITA, were mandated to deliver the legal documentation framework to do this. The proposed Bill was an absolute disaster. I could put up with Dean saying that he could not get what he wanted from those green twats who want to eliminate gambling and abuse to animals. I could understand if Dean went to the industry as explained that he fought like hell but he couldn't get what we wanted across the line. But that didn't happen.

I went to two of Dean's industry presentations and unfortunately (and I like Dean) the content of what he said was lamentable. He tried to sell the proposed Bill!. The Titanic would have sunk faster if it had more obvious holes as the Bill did. I don't see any changes after over a year of patience by us all and I think everything is done as an after thought and not a well timed, well executed  process. 

This RITA  crew have done everything behind closed doors. That's not what is currently needed. It needs an open sourced style so that the industry feels as though its being listened to. Through collaboration we can achieve good, big things....but that isn't being done. Everything seems to be extracted like hens teeth and under duress. This is not a good leaders style and we need a good leader. Small things like telling us that they have taken pay cuts, even as a gesture to all those who are broke and have been socially smashed, is leadership. Consultation on a daily basis within a Zoom cast would help built confidence. It doesn't cost anything. 

If I was in the role, I would have published a pin point plan in an attempt to track performance. You may not hit the marks but everyone would know how. and why we failed or succeeded.  How could you currently not know the availability of stakes unless you had NO MONEY at all. If this is the case, RITA has to come clean. If it needs to raise $80m, it must publish this instantly so that we can all prepare. 

If I found out that we needed to borrow $80m, then I would entertain the idea of placing the game into statutory management. As this is going to be a noose for all of us in the years to come, we should be afforded the honesty and respect to understand the problems, and be asked what we all think. This is NOT RITA's industry. It is NOT the government's industry. It is OUR industry.

So think very carefully. This has been and still is a very shoddy job. I seem to have been saying this since 1994 and everything stated at that time by a collective group of experienced racing and horse people seems to have come to pass. It almost seems as though a revolution must take place to get this right.

And make no bones about it, the Greens are our public enemy number one. They must go. Their ideals will destroy us all and a bigger group called farmers.

I can see parallels between our racing industry and the NRL. Both have had a good product at a certain point in time (up until the mid 90's) but through incompetence, mismanagement and being top heavy with far too many parasites with no concern for the future merely their own personal financial gain have seen both brought to their knees at the expense of the ones who's passion and livelihood rely on good, strong, competent leadership and have been screwed over by a series of people who have no accountability and move on to the next big money job.

I think a complete rebirth of both is what is needed and the only way forward that would allow the framework to be put in place to not allow the mistakes that lead to this point to arise again and would also rewire these businesses where revenue is gained from a product, put back into the product for it's growth and to reward those who have invested lives and money into it also to ensure when profits are made those in charge won't just divvie profits up amongst them on a yearly basis as a reward for themselves then rely on the next "big TV/TAB deal" to get them out of the red. In both cases it's time to pick up the house of cards put them back in the pack and build the house out of something a hell of a lot more structurally sound.

1 hour ago, Redoute's Choice said:

I can see parallels between our racing industry and the NRL. Both have had a good product at a certain point in time (up until the mid 90's) but through incompetence, mismanagement and being top heavy with far too many parasites with no concern for the future merely their own personal financial gain have seen both brought to their knees at the expense of the ones who's passion and livelihood rely on good, strong, competent leadership and have been screwed over by a series of people who have no accountability and move on to the next big money job.

I think a complete rebirth of both is what is needed and the only way forward that would allow the framework to be put in place to not allow the mistakes that lead to this point to arise again and would also rewire these businesses where revenue is gained from a product, put back into the product for it's growth and to reward those who have invested lives and money into it also to ensure when profits are made those in charge won't just divvie profits up amongst them on a yearly basis as a reward for themselves then rely on the next "big TV/TAB deal" to get them out of the red. In both cases it's time to pick up the house of cards put them back in the pack and build the house out of something a hell of a lot more structurally sound.

I think the Messara report was an attempt - some will say misguided - to do just that, and hasn't that gone well?

Rita was given the task of implenting that,  but the resultant Bill seems to be very different from the blueprint.

The analogy between NZ racing (managed by RIB then RITA) and NRL is a very good one in my opinion, particularly so with recent reports of comments from Aust broadcasters that they have put so much money into NRL that they are frustrated at how it all got spent on empires built by NRL management.

Sounds familiar.

That doesn’t mean the NRL sacked everyone and started again - but the departure of Greenberg should mean the new CEO will better understand the financial parameters around their job.

A definite need for reform and restructure, and a  new (but old fashioned) philosophy of holding rainy day reserves. Some past givens are now out the window.

We have a long road ahead, is Dean McKenzie the one who will lead this? He has a growing “must do better” list, headed by getting everyone rather more united than at present.

I also see a comparison between NZ Racing and the NRL. Mark Richardson said on the Tuesday 6.30am news on TV 3 that "due to accusations of over spending and budget blow outs"  Todd Greenberg has stood down as NRL CEO. I wonder if Bernard Saundry could show the same integrity as his country man and follow suite 

3 hours ago, Redoute's Choice said:

Unfortunately for NZ racing the NRL has V'landys sorting their crap out and we have ????

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I also see a comparison between NZ Racing and the NRL. Mark Richardson said on the Tuesday 6.30am news on TV 3 that "due to accusations of over spending and budget blow outs"  Todd Greenberg has stood down as NRL CEO. I wonder if Bernard Saundry could show the same integrity as his country man and follow suite 

Bernard Saundry is the CEO of NZ Racing  (40 employees) they are not the problem I don’t believe they should be accused of overspending RITA  (595) and RIU (92) are a different beast

Do you understand the difference between all three? As many don’t

31 minutes ago, uneasy said:

Bernard Saundry is the CEO of NZ Racing  (40 employees) they are not the problem I don’t believe they should be accused of overspending RITA  (595) and RIU (92) are a different beast

One shouldn't excuse the JCA from RIU abomination . They may be separate but traditionally policing has taken its cue from the Judicuary. And in her annual reports Kristy MacDonald went to some length explaining the cooperation between the two. Given Macdonalds long experience and standing in the legal community her advice would very much taken on board so she is just as much responsible for the runaway spending. 

I ask therefore why Kristy MacDonald is on the RITA board???

1 hour ago, uneasy said:

I agree but I don't think that NZTR have done anythging proactive to solve the problem except sit on their hands and hope that RITA and/or the Government will come to the rescue. For example, they supported the NZRB paying out distributions well in excess of earnings from assets and borrowing on a whim and a prayer didn't they and so did the TA?

1 hour ago, uneasy said:

If I recall correctly, back in the day the NZ Racing Authority had a core staff of 5 or 6 people and they oversaw the operations of the NZ Racing Conference, Harness Racing Conference and Greyhound Racing Association. The NZRA was responsible for approving dates, subsidising races, improving amenities etc. The three Code bodies were responsible for running their own businesses. The TAB was purely a service organisation who used to just tick away doing their own thing, and as long as they showed a profit and didn't make any major cockups no one really used to bother about them. Then in the early 2000s some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to merge the Racing Authority and the TAB, and suddenly the tail started wagging the dog.

While the TAB may have been able to get away with a CEO and Board Chairman who knew nothing about Racing, and really couldn't care less about it, as they were purely a service organisation, suddenly those same no-hopers were running the whole industry rather than just running a betting service. Then as the Industry started to struggle and go into a steady decline industry participants started to look towards their leadership for inspiration and guidance. Unfortunately a shot-putter and postman were the worst possible people to have in charge when leadership was desperately needed.

RITA is purely a new name for the previous Racing Board. What the industry needs to do is kick the bloated TAB and its hangers-on to the side. If the TAB is insolvent then let them sink. I'm sure the Racing Industry could find another betting service to handle the betting side of things.

2 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

If I recall correctly, back in the day the NZ Racing Authority had a core staff of 5 or 6 people and they oversaw the operations of the NZ Racing Conference, Harness Racing Conference and Greyhound Racing Association. The NZRA was responsible for approving dates, subsidising races, improving amenities etc. The three Code bodies were responsible for running their own businesses. The TAB was purely a service organisation who used to just tick away doing their own thing, and as long as they showed a profit and didn't make any major cockups no one really used to bother about them. Then in the early 2000s some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to merge the Racing Authority and the TAB, and suddenly the tail started wagging the dog.

While the TAB may have been able to get away with a CEO and Board Chairman who knew nothing about Racing, and really couldn't care less about it, as they were purely a service organisation, suddenly those same no-hopers were running the whole industry rather than just running a betting service. Then as the Industry started to struggle and go into a steady decline industry participants started to look towards their leadership for inspiration and guidance. Unfortunately a shot-putter and postman were the worst possible people to have in charge when leadership was desperately needed.

RITA is purely a new name for the previous Racing Board. What the industry needs to do is kick the bloated TAB and its hangers-on to the side. If the TAB is insolvent then let them sink. I'm sure the Racing Industry could find another betting service to handle the betting side of things.

Which is maybe why some of us decided to exit the industry when the 2003 Act was still a bill. The writing was on the wall.

Bernard Saundry is the CEO of NZTR and therefore the buck stops there. There is little doubt that there has been  a lot of frivolous spending by this entity.  Creating of projects and spending to justify jobs. Then take the 1.7 million Bad Debt of Nominations and Acceptances that is owed to NZTR the 750K owed by Trainers and rest by owners and syndicates. A CEO in a real business would not get the opportunity to resign.

Bernard has lacked any leadership. I was at a meeting at Awapuni in I think about May 2018. It was one of Bernards meet the peoples tour meetings. When the hard questions came, his reply was "you tell me what we should do". He is getting the big bucks but has no answers. He should be leading from the front. 

That same meeting he said that the Sky contract worth 600K to Thoroughbred racing would end in February 2019 and we would be going to free racing. This is just another broken promise.

This man has never owned a racehorse and says that he has no intention of owning a racehorse yet we have him leading New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing. Where does his passion lie. In the Salary.  I wouldn't want to be following him out of the trenches. You end up running over your own men.

34 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

That bright spark was Garry Chittick and his Board. 
I remember very clearly trying to tell Garry that it was the wrong decision to proceed. (For the record the discussion took place at the Sydney Easter Sales) 
My reasoning was that the Racing Authority of which he was the Chairman oversaw the whole Industry including the TAB therefore held all the power. 
His response is that the TAB want to go in different directions which we are having trouble with, so it’s best that we merge the TAB and the Racing Authority and create the Racing Industry Board (RIB) and from there it’s all been downhill let by a continuous line of CEO’s 

9 minutes ago, d.burrow said:

That bright spark was Garry Chittick and his Board. 
I remember very clearly trying to tell Garry that it was the wrong decision to proceed. (For the record the discussion took place at the Sydney Easter Sales) 
My reasoning was that the Racing Authority of which he was the Chairman oversaw the whole Industry including the TAB therefore held all the power. 
His response is that the TAB want to go in different directions which we are having trouble with, so it’s best that we merge the TAB and the Racing Authority and create the Racing Industry Board (RIB) and from there it’s all been downhill let by a continuous line of CEO’s 

If you read Garry Chitticks blog on his Studs website he does make some good observations with a bit of sarcasm. However even he quotes the TAB as being a $2.5 billion business which it is not. Little wonder that if others believe that then the spending culture particularly salaries is out of kilt.

There is a few on this website that were for 2003 act and infamous section 16.  There is also a few here that were behind some great new TAB bets. 
We all make fcuk ups the trick is to own up, correct and move on. 
Hence why I have so many issues with the new betting tab platform:

own up (it’s not working well)

correct it (out sourcing)

and move on for future of NZ racing. 

For any serious business discussion on change management delivered in a no-nonsense but highly stimulating manner George Hickton has a track-record second to none. He has "been there" and is "still there".

Had a great run with Tourism.

Not sure where he is now though.

Uneasy, you realize if the Govt/Banks come up with $80 million of which 45-50 million is already debt, it will be the same morons spending what's left of the loan.

And those filthy grubs(cos that's what they are) will hang in there til every last penny is gone , bit like they're doing now, squeezing the lifeblood out of the game, then they'll be off to another totally different Industry, they give a shit abt Racing, just their over inflated salaries.

Surely you can see Rita won't have a stakes model by Weds , going what the deluded Minister Of Racing said, buying more time for him more importantly.

Uneasy, I think it's imperative Rita doesn't get the 80 mill. 

Yes , things will hurt for a while, we can still run our Black Type races later this season, just ffs get rid of the high % of nil Rita members otherwise the leftovers of the 80 mill will be gone for good , look at Ritas salary bill per week.

Sorry but McKenzie and Saundry, when we needed action , we got nothing. Nada zilch squat

Look the game will be better off with you, Baker , Wheeler , Marsh running the outfit.

That is your only way out...............

Think the 80 million will be the burning tyre round the neck of Racing , get rid of the gravy trainers in Rita 1st before we ask for it .....PLEASE I'm begging you !!!!!

1 hour ago, Patiti said:

For any serious business discussion on change management delivered in a no-nonsense but highly stimulating manner George Hickton has a track-record second to none. He has "been there" and is "still there".

Had a great run with Tourism.

Not sure where he is now though.

Hickton wasn't as good as he made himself out to be.

He was not unlike a good number of Rita rats, anyone with a greater knowledge of Racing than him was a threat, hence sacking of George Simon and ARA, to name a couple.