RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Pike: Trainers need urgent assurances from RITA

The situation NZ Racing finds itself in is not confined to NZ. There are ample examples of mis-management or poor planning across many sport codes. In Australia, the NRL has squandered $mmmm and finally a guy like V’Landys is employed as Chairman and his sole/main goal, stated by home, is to future proof the NRL financially and put aside for the future. Just what he is doing at Racing NSW. The Aust Rugby Union is broke, Cricket Australia has empty coffers and so on. Waste and bloated HO’s blight the landscape. This all happened before Corvid-19. C-19 has just brought it to a head so maybe that’s a good thing. Question is, “Who’s going to lead NZ Racing out of the shit?”

Sadly the Trainers Association has been far to gullible for far too long, believing what they have been told, and thinking things were going to come right.

And the virus has exposed some more home truths, without our product to produce just enough cashflow to sustain stakes, and the massive losses the TAB has run up, they look like they are insolvent , and we have been treated like plebs...Leo predicted all this a long time ago, and it has all come home to roost..

The Trainers Association and Owners Association should have stood up along time ago....

We do hold the key with our product, hopefully it’s not too late...

Cant wait to get our horses back to the races, funding is going to be interesting....

1 minute ago, Chris Wood said:

Sadly the Trainers Association has been far to gullible for far too long, believing what they have been told, and thinking things were going to come right.

And the virus has exposed some more home truths, without our product to produce just enough cashflow to sustain stakes, and the massive losses the TAB has run up, they look like they are insolvent , and we have been treated like plebs...Leo predicted all this a long time ago, and it has all come home to roost..

The Trainers Association and Owners Association should have stood up along time ago....

We do hold the key with our product, hopefully it’s not too late...

Cant wait to get our horses back to the races, funding is going to be interesting....

Can i ask you a question Chris , would you be prepared to ask your owners hold off putting their horses back in work if the industry as a whole was looking to do this as way of getting more control and say over the industry ? , in other words withhold product as a form of protest . Would appreciate a current public trainers view .

I still have 10 here on the walker and 8 older horses trotting and cantering around the roads.

Your question is a tricky one, I have horses out spelling too, I feel this has been a real trial as to all owners having enough confidence in where we are heading, and the state of the TAB doesn’t inspire to much hope.

You would think RITA would have all the figures that the Trainers Association require at their fingertips, and that we could have some answers as to funding for the meetings that have been scheduled.

I have said for a long time our association held some power, but the muscles haven’t been flexed at any stage.

Tony Pike is a good friend of mine, and I won’t can his efforts of the last month or so, but the association has been a lemon for along time sadly.

2 minutes ago, Chris Wood said:

I still have 10 here on the walker and 8 older horses trotting and cantering around the roads.

Your question is a tricky one, I have horses out spelling too, I feel this has been a real trial as to all owners having enough confidence in where we are heading, and the state of the TAB doesn’t inspire to much hope.

You would think RITA would have all the figures that the Trainers Association require at their fingertips, and that we could have some answers as to funding for the meetings that have been scheduled.

I have said for a long time our association held some power, but the muscles haven’t been flexed at any stage.

Tony Pike is a good friend of mine, and I won’t can his efforts of the last month or so, but the association has been a lemon for along time sadly.

I appreciate you answering , stuck between a brick and wall as are a lot of trainers i'm sure . I just feel considering the present position the industry participants hold the power and have the best chance they have had in gods know how long to really push back and gain some measure of real equity of say in the way racing goes forward . May never happen again . Cheers .

We are all passionate about our industry, I can assure you that, but it is hard to maintain your enthusiasm when you see how much money has been squandered on poor appointments of personnel that have no skin in the game, and slowly strangle our racing, walk the walk, and get a bloody pay out.....

Then there is the TAB, how much money has been wasted on the new betting systems that still isn’t the real deal, once again who is answerable, know one...

And we wonder why our industry is in the position we are??

23 minutes ago, Chris Wood said:

Don’t think they know Chris, that’s the problem. They are so far behind the eightball finances wise, and it seems to get worse every time there is an update. RITA are stymied by the lack of product, not only Racing but with all Sports inactive, and Aussie racing is the only bright light at the moment. The comment that thousands of account holders had migrated to Aussie racing was not surprising but begs the question will they return to support the NZ product if, and when it ever gets back up and running...?

5 hours ago, Insider said:

The continuation of bonus bets is beyond comprehension in my opinion. 
Is there someone out there who are able to factually prove me wrong? 
RITA (or someone from there) you are entitled to respond, in fact I would appreciate it. 

The Accounting error aside ,it appears that the Bonus Bet promotion has been a good success .

I'd say it has stimulated betting more than other promotions.

Anecdotally I hear folk talking about it a lot and gets folk focused on turning over their money unlike other promos of late which I believed designed to achieve KPI's

I think its safe to say that previous miscalculation unlikely to happen again.

So the fact that it continuing surely is proof.

Ok ,next you will say they are incompetent fools etc.....well yes ,but the cost and implementation of new betting platform hit them very hard late 2018, they were struggling to recover from the resultant lost turnover then got the double whammy....low liquidity then co-vid 19.The latter has screwed most businesses .TAB not immune.

For a number of years prior the TAB was profitable , even when faced with increasing competition but demands from the Codes to increase their funding whittled their equity away and they seemed unable to reduce their wage bill which had got to around $60mil 

I don't think the TAB should be responding on social media to questions from  anonymous people.

Your best chance to get a reply at moment would be to personally get thru to the appropriate person and is high enough to give your searching questions personal time.The CS person on phone won't know. 

2 hours ago, von Smallhaussen said:

the only time Rita/TAB will bow to the racing industry is when there are no other sports or events to gamble on! 

Maybe they have bowed to NZ  Racing for too long....read commentary going back 40 years and the regional bias in programming etc and self interest has dogged the sport like it has many sports.

And even when things going from bad to worse nothing was done......regions and clubs only interested in own patch.

Our racing went back ,at the speed of knots while the much bigger but very close Australian industry boomed forward.

In NZ stakes fell behind  massively .......especially compared to Aussie and relative to costs.

About 20 years ago ,the trials seemed more urgent that the racing.....owners were cheering more and the whips cracking more at the trials and folk saw the good money in selling abroad.

The tracks and the facilities fell woefully behind acceptable standards.

Few clubs built up any money in bank.

Sports betting came in , the new generation attracted to this.........the love of the horse largely gone.Lotto had started in 1987.

Nz Racing lost its mana and respect.

By 2010 40% NZ thought NZ racing corrupt etc

ONLY 16% of NZ looked positively on Racing and Wagering....Lotto OK !!!!!!

In recent times NZ people bet more on Australian racing than NZ racing.....probably 60 /40 now and rising by the week.

Sports Betting now 30%  and rising.[pre co-vid]

No one can change NZ racing.......so Messara brought in and still we don't see.....

The  NZ TAB can do very well without NZ Racing !

It has Aussie racing and Sports......and a few pokies .

Racing administrators have just assumed the TAB will keep giving them money to exist ..........running shitty fields on shitty tracks didn't phase them .

I asked a few if they concerned about this sort of following and they said....NO...its bulk funded stakes ! Blasé...........no problem.

Well.......HELLO ! 

9 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

We are all passionate about our industry, I can assure you that, but it is hard to maintain your enthusiasm when you see how much money has been squandered on poor appointments of personnel that have no skin in the game, and slowly strangle our racing, walk the walk, and get a bloody pay out.....

Then there is the TAB, how much money has been wasted on the new betting systems that still isn’t the real deal, once again who is answerable, know one...

And we wonder why our industry is in the position we are??

Nobody could or should ever doubt the “passion” that people like yourself have for this Industry. Apart from your livelihood, it’s also your lifeblood. However, passion alone will not survive an Industry. Any Industry needs Leadership and top Management. Both are vital - but Leadership takes pride of place.