Recommended Posts

Just now, TurnyTom said:

Or, hold rates to zero and manage their expenditure much better - CCC think ratepayers have a bottomless pocket and we simply do not

They take the maximum piss to be fair TT .Zero per cent a certainty this year though .The shit they pay for is unreal .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, WOODBINE said:

We all tend to forget that John Key did not take a salary during his time as Prime Minister 

This was a large sacrifice also practiced by Donald J Trump.

 

Is that a definate fact he did not draw a wage , he indicated prior to election that a large part of salary he would  donate to charity . 

Not drawing a wage is totally different to drawing a wage and giving it to a charity of choice as pointed out to a number of council officials recently , as drawing a wage and giving to charity is still drawing a wage .

It would be interesting to see if Sir  Key continued this noble non drawing of salary into his life of ex PM, like the 51K plus benefits that ex PMs receive plus car replaced at 60k kms plus travel benefits .Good on them for earning the coin and benefits but is it for sure he never drew a wage as PM .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WOODBINE said:

We all tend to forget that John Key did not take a salary during his time as Prime Minister 

This was a large sacrifice also practiced by Donald J Trump.

 

and got called a rich prick for his trouble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not knocking Sir Key , he wasn't given life on a plate , I think PM seems underpaid compared to other public officials . However Ive never seen a real answer on that no salary . Only indication portion to charity , well most of us do a bit for charity or volunteer work or give money .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Red Rum

John Key did not come from a privileged background (please read his bio) and he had to work very hard for his subsequent success.

John’s background is typical of many successful NZers they come from humble backgrounds and don’t have chips on their shoulders. I first came across John when he worked for the accounting firm Touché Ross in Christchurch shortly after graduation 

i was a partner in Touche Ross and he attended a TR Conference for new graduates that I was a presenter at. He impressed me as a quality young professional who would be an exceptional achiever in whatever profession is choose to be in.

I also remember being at a Governance Institute of Australia annual dinner several years ago ( I represented Governance NZ) the guest speaker Peter Fitzsimmons was publicly championing John Key as the Australian Prime Minster to a dinner table of quality Australians. I was very proud to be a NZ er that night.

At a community function where John was guest speaker shortly before National came to power I was asked to give the vote of thanks to John I said to him “I want to thank you for coming home to NZ to make a difference....” He spoke to me later saying that he had never received such words and I stand by them today.

John and Jacinda are both outstanding NZers and leaders who have been noted offshore for their qualities and activism. In respect of our racing industry problems I believe that NZRB and the codes have needed leaders with a bullying / critical style to get things done. Peter V’landys of Racing NSW appears to have such a style and in NZ Michael Stiassny would have been a very effective CEO of NZRB rather than its Chairman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, WOODBINE said:

Red Rum

John Key did not come from a privileged background (please read his bio) and he had to work very hard for his subsequent success.

John’s background is typical of many successful NZers they come from humble backgrounds and don’t have chips on their shoulders. I first came across John when he worked for the accounting firm Touché Ross in Christchurch shortly after graduation 

i was a partner in Touche Ross and he attended a TR Conference for new graduates that I was a presenter at. He impressed me as a quality young professional who would be an exceptional achiever in whatever profession is choose to be in.

I also remember being at a Governance Institute of Australia annual dinner several years ago ( I represented Governance NZ) the guest speaker Peter Fitzsimmons was publicly championing John Key as the Australian Prime Minster to a dinner table of quality Australians. I was very proud to be a NZ er that night.

At a community function where John was guest speaker shortly before National came to power I was asked to give the vote of thanks to John I said to him “I want to thank you for coming home to NZ to make a difference....” He spoke to me later saying that he had never received such words and I stand by them today.

John and Jacinda are both outstanding NZers and leaders who have been noted offshore for their qualities and activism. In respect of our racing industry problems I believe that NZRB and the codes have needed leaders with a bullying / critical style to get things done. Peter V’landys of Racing NSW appears to have such a style and in NZ Michael Stiassny would have been a very effective CEO of NZRB rather than its Chairman

Not disputing any of those facts , as I posted in thread I am well  aware life was not handed to him on a plate , he also imho didn't do too bad a job as PM through some tough times , I'd be a bewildered at a lunch if someone introduced him as Australian PM , I'd probably laugh to be polite  . I think the Aussie's generally seem happy with Scomo at the moment as he navigates through , looks like sport back soon  over there .

Anyway , is that a definate that he didn't draw a wage at all during his time as PM , because good guy no doubt but that isn't the question .

Don't get me wrong , he or she  draws a wage as PM , they  deserve every  cent , should be paid more than 490k.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, WOODBINE said:

Red Rum

John Key did not come from a privileged background (please read his bio) and he had to work very hard for his subsequent success.

John’s background is typical of many successful NZers they come from humble backgrounds and don’t have chips on their shoulders. I first came across John when he worked for the accounting firm Touché Ross in Christchurch shortly after graduation 

i was a partner in Touche Ross and he attended a TR Conference for new graduates that I was a presenter at. He impressed me as a quality young professional who would be an exceptional achiever in whatever profession is choose to be in.

I also remember being at a Governance Institute of Australia annual dinner several years ago ( I represented Governance NZ) the guest speaker Peter Fitzsimmons was publicly championing John Key as the Australian Prime Minster to a dinner table of quality Australians. I was very proud to be a NZ er that night.

At a community function where John was guest speaker shortly before National came to power I was asked to give the vote of thanks to John I said to him “I want to thank you for coming home to NZ to make a difference....” He spoke to me later saying that he had never received such words and I stand by them today.

John and Jacinda are both outstanding NZers and leaders who have been noted offshore for their qualities and activism. In respect of our racing industry problems I believe that NZRB and the codes have needed leaders with a bullying / critical style to get things done. Peter V’landys of Racing NSW appears to have such a style and in NZ Michael Stiassny would have been a very effective CEO of NZRB rather than its Chairman

Peter Fitzsimmon's very very  anti racing , he wants it gone . Fiercely critical of all aspects of the sport . 

Very clever and entertaining bloke though .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw him give a speech to the Australian Chamber of Commerce years ago, the audience was full of top business leaders that day.

John covered all aspects of Government and Economics.... No notes, everything from memory, quoting numbers, figures and other statistics with ease in his own down to earth style. It was a pleasure to watch and made you proud that he was representing New Zealand.

The audience gave him a standing ovation at the end. Recognised quality when they saw it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WOODBINE said:

We all tend to forget that John Key did not take a salary during his time as Prime Minister 

This was a large sacrifice also practiced by Donald J Trump.

 

Hardly a comparison is it....:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

Or, hold rates to zero and manage their expenditure much better - CCC think ratepayers have a bottomless pocket and we simply do not

The Press quoted recently that there were more than 530 people at CCC on $100,000 or more....apart from that mind boggling figure, you have to wonder what all these people actually do.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

I saw him give a speech to the Australian Chamber of Commerce years ago, the audience was full of top business leaders that day.

John covered all aspects of Government and Economics.... No notes, everything from memory, quoting numbers, figures and other statistics with ease in his own down to earth style. It was a pleasure to watch and made you proud that he was representing New Zealand.

The audience gave him a standing ovation at the end.

The catwalk weren't so good OM , but better than the tin spaghetti pizza his mate cooked up.

He dealt with some real  tough stuff as PM , like the PM today , wages seem a little light for steering the ship last 10 or so years .

Just unsure of the no drawing of the wages situation .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Red Rum said:

The catwalk weren't so good OM , but better than the tin spaghetti pizza his mate cooked up.

He dealt with some real  tough stuff as PM , like the PM today , wages seem a little light for steering the ship last 10 or so years .

Just unsure of the no drawing of the wages situation .

The ' pay cut' discussion seems a little premature.  Heard a discourse on the radio yesterday from an invited guest, who informed listeners that ministerial salaries are set by a body whose name escapes me, but is chaired by Fran Wilde.    It isn't possible just to 'cut pay',  it has to be legislated for.    Probably similar for councils, etc.

That doesn't of course, stop ministers - or any public servant for that matter - donating some, or all,  as John Key did , to charities.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

The ' pay cut' discussion seems a little premature.  Heard a discourse on the radio yesterday from an invited guest, who informed listeners that ministerial salaries are set by a body whose name escapes me, but is chaired by Fran Wilde.    It isn't possible just to 'cut pay',  it has to be legislated for.    Probably similar for councils, etc.

That doesn't of course, stop ministers - or any public servant for that matter - donating some, or all,  as John Key did , to charities.  

Remuneration Authority I think Pam.....another job for the boys and girls. Have never seen the salaries go down have you....? :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2020 at 9:27 AM, Red Rum said:

She still earns more than the PM , let's hope she still works hard to trim the fat off the councils bloated spending and largesse .

No chance with the left wing council and mayor.

 

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

No chance with the left wing council and mayor.

 

Greg

Used to be in old country Labour fill up their and their union cronies   bank balances and in end that finishes their time in power , conservatives fill up their bank balances and have  sex scandals as well , like MPs tied up  found dead with stockings and suspenders with an orange stuffed  in mouth . No not Monty Python sketch  poor old Stephen Milligan.  Not one to read before breakfast .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.