RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Three gallops meetings per week initially

Surprised a few geldings from a Wexford clear out sold on Gavelhouse , one a pensioner but all have ability  .Went for ok prices all things considered .Maybe there will be some green shoots of recovery , fingers crossed . Hope those buying now get all the luck they deserve with purchases for keeping going . Good on them .

Stipes need not travel to meetings. Perhaps its time to create a remote centralized stipe centre  servicing both Australia and New Zealand or even stipes operating from home.

RIU should be mothballed for 12 months and just voluntary help say from retired persons used.

31 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

Stipes need not travel to meetings. Perhaps its time to create a remote centralized stipe centre  servicing both Australia and New Zealand or even stipes operating from home.

RIU should be mothballed for 12 months and just voluntary help say from retired persons used.

Thats what should happen but it won't.

9 minutes ago, MisterEd said:

Thats what should happen but it won't.

Well I'll try something else.

It costs close to $1000 maybe bit less for photo finish services per race meeting.

This is a service Trackside people could do without much extra cost.  Logistic wise makes sense.

1 hour ago, slam dunk said:

Yes, maybe go back to club stewards performing the role? Or volunteers as you say. There's no funding for the RIU with no pokies anyway. That said, here needs to be punter confidence in race day integrity functions.

2 hours ago, Barry Lichter said:

"stakes will be “flatter” - read lower"

Not sure how you reach that conclusion Barry. Lower at the top end I'd say to fund the free racing and maintain minimum stakes. A beginning towards aligning stakes with wagering earnings that those stakes generate which is as it long since should have been.

Jockeys will need to be first consideration. Keeping themselves fit and involved with the possibility of only a few rides will need some sort of contract payments. Therefore NZTR pays jockeys on weekly basis starting almost now. No jockey fees for owners.

5 hours ago, slam dunk said:

The 'bunker"?

5 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Well I'll try something else.

It costs close to $1000 maybe bit less for photo finish services per race meeting.

This is a service Trackside people could do without much extra cost.  Logistic wise makes sense.

How many Trackside cameras are on the line or anywhere near the finishing line

I would have thought 3 meetings a week in July would be a very good start given that it will be the middle of Winter. Many on here (Racecafe) over the years have expressed the view that there should be no racing at all in June/July. I think we will all love the return of racing in New Zealand as soon as possible. 

11 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

The 'bunker"?

Good call that.

In USA I’ve seen a phone line down to the jocks on the track who they ring to get their defence or otherwise, and make a call within minutes, game over. With technology nowadays there is no need to be there physically.

2 hours ago, CosmicBlackie said:

Good call that.

In USA I’ve seen a phone line down to the jocks on the track who they ring to get their defence or otherwise, and make a call within minutes, game over. With technology nowadays there is no need to be there physically.

True - but must be nice jetting round the country and eating and drinking on the industry .... kind of what I've done for 25 years, but largely paid all the costs myself and turned over a small fortune through the tote and paid for horses and jockeys and trainers etc etc.... mmmm how does one get a job as a stipe or on RIU ...???